Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Moryrie posted:

Learn spell. Forget spell. Must relearn. Must sleep to learn spell. Or something along those lines is what I got out of the tutorial I never finished? It's been a while since I tried to play it. I'm also seriously not a fan of micromanaging a bunch of team members. Which is one reason I prettymuch hated playing DAO.

Yeah. And old maybe better games are still not exactly games directly competing for Bethesda's money now. DAI, Witcher 3, and Pillars of Eternity are the only new standouts in the fantasy RPG market, and they're all just very different from TES.

And I guess we can just totally forget about Arthmoor's little gaming company if he thinks this was a good deal. Not that I ever planned on supporting his bear filled nonsense anyway.

Vancian magic is the tits and I'm still overjoyed that they included it in Pillars of Eternity with the Wizard class. In TES, it just becomes another button to spam over and over and its main difference to using weapons is that it looks cooler; Vancian you really have to be careful with, both in terms of using it as well as defending against it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

The thing about magic in TES games is it's completely worthless most of the time and you are better off just hitting stuff with a sword or using magic as a secondary thing. Morrowind had probably the strongest magic of any modern TES game but being a pure mage was dumb because a redguard with 20 max magicka could be a pure fighter and still be better at casting spells than a high elf because they could enchant godly spells onto rings and amulets that are lying around and cast them forever because everything recharged automatically. Magic was poo poo in Oblivion because everything cost so much to cast you would be eating a recharge stone after every fight as well as making it weaker overall. Skyrim magic is a joke.

The backwards magic in BG1/2 allows a pure mage to solo the entire game without a party and become death destroyer of worlds. You have limited spells per rest but this also allows those spells to be powerful and meaningful. Good luck using your sword when a clone of myself stops time and unloads my entire spellbook in the span of 1 second and because it was my clone casting them and not actually me all I lost was 1 spell use I used to cast the clone to begin with.

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012
I've played pure mages in all 3 modern TES games and enjoyed it? I hate TES combat, because it's just a boring slog. Sure, I have mods for magic in Oblivion, and had them in Skyrim (SPERG was plenty though). Thing is I prettymuch never, ever use destruction magic. I use everything else. Maybe I'd get used to Baldur's Gate's magic, but I don't really see it happening. Out of the box Oblivion/Skyrim magic was total crap I agree. but LAME and SPERG more or less fixed them for me. Mages can rock in the TES games, you just have to know what you're doing (and mods for all but Morrowind). I also tend to do really wacky builds though.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

sticklefifer posted:

Jesus. Skyrim's close to dropping below 90%. :stare:

It was at 98% before this started so lol.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I tend to play pure mages in TES games as well but the magic even with mods honestly have never been satisfied. All the mods try to balance magic in relation to melee or ranged. Rather than letting me perform universe altering feats. The games just aren't built for it really. The AI would never be able to handle it.

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

cheesetriangles posted:

I tend to play pure mages in TES games as well but the magic even with mods honestly have never been satisfied. All the mods try to balance magic in relation to melee or ranged. Rather than letting me perform universe altering feats. The games just aren't built for it really. The AI would never be able to handle it.

To each their own, I guess. Vancian magic bothers me because it makes blaster mages far less viable, and that's what I like to play. I do like the fluff for D&D Sorcerers, though.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Yeah I can see how you would feel that way. In Vancian systems casting direct damage spells tends to be the worst option. Why would I cast a fireball spell when I can turn the enemy into a squirrel and leave them completely helpless instead.

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

cheesetriangles posted:

Yeah I can see how you would feel that way. In Vancian systems casting direct damage spells tends to be the worst option. Why would I cast a fireball spell when I can turn the enemy into a squirrel and leave them completely helpless instead.

Yeah, I'd feel completely the opposite - why bother screwing around with stuff like that when I could just straight up kill them with a fireball. Plus, it's arguably more cruel to leave someone crippled and humiliated than to kill them outright, and I'm Neutral Good all the way.

Praetorian Mage fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Apr 26, 2015

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Man Whore posted:

It was at 98% before this started so lol.

Over 9,000 negative reviews have been posted in the past three days.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Mazzletoff posted:

So, all of this got me back into modding Skyrim. I've checked with TES5Edit (it says its okay), and the game doesn't CTD - I just don't get any text on the main menu. I've sorted it with LOOT as well.

Yes it is a lot of mods. I know how they all work. What did I do?

Other things I have:

• Centaur Font
  • Enhanced Animations
  • Immersive Animations
  • aMidianBorn's textures

load order.

I'm not sure but if your UI mods depend on SkyUI they should load after that, not before it.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

cheesetriangles posted:

Yeah I can see how you would feel that way. In Vancian systems casting direct damage spells tends to be the worst option. Why would I cast a fireball spell when I can encase the enemy in an unbreakable magical casket and seal it away at the heart of the world for all time instead

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

cheesetriangles posted:

Yeah I can see how you would feel that way. In Vancian systems casting direct damage spells tends to be the worst option. Why would I cast a fireball spell when I can turn the enemy into a single grain of sand and bury them on a lonely beach, where no one will ever find them and the turtles will piss on their grave

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I miss spellcrafting, because with enough stuff you could make a spell that paralyzes the enemy and also catches them on fire and electrocuted them the entire time.

It sucked when you came across an enemy with Reflect though.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Danaru posted:

I miss spellcrafting, because with enough stuff you could make a spell that paralyzes the enemy and also catches them on fire and electrocuted them the entire time.

It sucked when you came across an enemy with Reflect though.

I did like that in Oblivion, I'll admit. Even if all you ever had to do was make an obscenely powerful spell that does poison damage (which just about nothing resists) tipped with a 1-second soul trap.

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

Yeah I can see how you would feel that way. In Vancian systems casting direct damage spells tends to be the worst option. Why would I cast a fireball spell when I can encase the enemy in an unbreakable magical casket and seal it away at the heart of the world for all time instead

Yeah, this is the kind of sadistic bastardry that I never indulge in even in games. I don't even steal things in Skyrim.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Praetorian Mage posted:

I don't even steal things in Skyrim.

:psyboom:

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Praetorian Mage posted:

Yeah, this is the kind of sadistic bastardry that I never indulge in even in games. I don't even steal things in Skyrim.

I mainly used it as an example, I rarely used Imprisonment myself

You don't get to loot the bodies that way :twisted:

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

I played enough video games to know that they never stay sealed.

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012

Praetorian Mage posted:

I don't usually steal things either. Unless I really, really don't like the NPC.

Snayke
Mar 5, 2009

Praetorian Mage posted:

Heresy of the worst kind.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I'm late on the Gopher chat but I'd just like to point out as an Englishman that nobody from England actually talks like that.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I think he's Norwegian or something?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Ahahahaha

welp :v:

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
He's an Englishman who lives in Norway.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Praetorian Mage posted:

I steal very rarely in Skyrim only because I can't be arsed to start the thieves guild quest line, and I hate having an inventory full of red hands.

Seriously, the thieves guild was my absolute favourite in Oblivion, but the Skyrim one is loving terrible.

I also miss enchanting a pair of boots with a constant effect of 1 fire damage so I could run around killing stuff while also being the human torch.

Danaru fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Apr 26, 2015

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012
So I was poking around a few other games with workshops trying to figure out what other people were saying and if they were panicking? I found this. Skim the topic a bit. Then check the dates.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I love all the libertarians on Reddit defending this because of how the market will obviously sort itself out even though Steam is the exact opposite of a free market...

When people say this, they're typically being imprecise about the nature of their ideal mechanism. It's not so much "the free market," a dumb ahistorical unrealistic ideal, they expect will sort things out but "market forces," which are just... patterns of behavior people often follow when price signals and scarcity are involved in getting stuff. Market forces do exist and don't require some "free market" to have effect.

The thing is that you're still basically right in that for market forces to do any good there need to be certain conditions met that a combination of Steam as a delivery platform, their policies, and the nature of modding prevent. The most critical is information transparency. Well, Valve's shut down of discussions kinda blew a hole in that part of it, but to be fair Reddit seemed pretty mad about that too. But adding a Skyrim mod takes more than 24 hours to figure out and so this window effectively prevents information from flowing as freely as it needs to for the consumer to be able to evaluate a product anyway.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Mazzletoff posted:

So, all of this got me back into modding Skyrim. I've checked with TES5Edit (it says its okay), and the game doesn't CTD - I just don't get any text on the main menu. I've sorted it with LOOT as well.

Yes it is a lot of mods. I know how they all work. What did I do?

Other things I have:

• Centaur Font
  • Enhanced Animations
  • Immersive Animations
  • aMidianBorn's textures

load order.

Are all of the mods on that list active? Because this, uh, well...

quote:

ABT - Faster Arrows Improved +10%.esp
ABT - Faster Arrows Improved +100%.esp
ABT - Faster Arrows Improved +25%.esp
ABT - Faster Arrows Improved +50%.esp

ABT - Faster Arrows Improved +75%.esp
AT - Faster Arrows Improved +10%.esp
AT - Faster Arrows Improved +100%.esp
AT - Faster Arrows Improved +25%.esp
AT - Faster Arrows Improved +50%.esp
AT - Faster Arrows Improved +75%.esp

...idk which of these you actually want but they can't all take effect.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Hot drat, why didn't I use Apocalypse Magic before? Here I am, personally Predator-droning meteorites at bandits from on high. This thing owns.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

scamtank posted:

Hot drat, why didn't I use Apocalypse Magic before? Here I am, personally Predator-droning meteorites at bandits from on high. This thing owns.

From on high? From down low is superior. Nothing like playing a 16-inch tall wizard who can launch himself into space by standing on top of a pot and then wiggling a little when the guards come calling.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Crossposting from the Awesome/Awful Mods Thread:

Oh hell yes.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
So far, so good.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Agents are GO! posted:

Crossposting from the Awesome/Awful Mods Thread:

Oh hell yes.
1.have the Dwarven Baton on your right
2.ride a Tank

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Archonex posted:

He shut down the comments so that people wouldn't continue to lower the endorsements and would divert their attention elsewhere. It's a poo poo move, but hopefully it won't keep. He can't keep developing the mod without feedback. Much as he'd like to pretend otherwise.

Gabe is kind of the centerpiece at the moment though. After the SkyUI guy blew up on Reddit and got laughed out of the discussion he clammed up.

Well it's up to 272,669 so apparently 374 more people decided to express their appreciation since then.

Maybe they all tried out 5.0 after it was leaked to Reddit :v:

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Out of curiosity, why are people so interested in the percentage rating of Skyrim? Because it's an indicator of how riled up people have gotten or because it'll actually have an affect on sales?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Just an indicator of riledupness, i'm sure pretty much everyone already owns Skyrim by this point.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Archonex posted:

He shut down the comments so that people wouldn't continue to lower the endorsements and would divert their attention elsewhere. It's a poo poo move, but hopefully it won't keep. He can't keep developing the mod without feedback. Much as he'd like to pretend otherwise.

Gabe is kind of the centerpiece at the moment though. After the SkyUI guy blew up on Reddit and got laughed out of the discussion he clammed up.

Is there a link to SkyUI guy losing it?

That I want to see.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
So, I noticed something.

http://www.pcgamer.com/fake-protest-mods-hit-the-steam-workshop/ posted:

As Valve explained yesterday, new paid mods must first be posted without a purchase option, in order to give the community time to examine them and call out any abusive or stolen content.

Er, that's... So, first off, they haven't done this with any of the paid mods up right now, have they? Secondly, won't LITERALLY EVERYONE just get it when it's free and not pay when it goes up for sale?

Also, good job cherry-picking what articles show up in Recent News for Skyrim, Steam.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Republicans posted:

It doesn't matter what tools you use, if you tried to sell a Skyrim mod before you can bet you'd have Bethesda on your rear end for it. All that's changed is Bethesda saying "Under these conditions you can sell your mods." Don't like those conditions? Don't sell your mods then.

You started out saying that Bethesda 'deserved' a cut because of the tools, yeah? Now it's just 'because they can'. Of course they can, it's their game so its their rules. That's separate from the deserving part.

Midnight Voyager posted:

So, I noticed something.

Er, that's... So, first off, they haven't done this with any of the paid mods up right now, have they? Secondly, won't LITERALLY EVERYONE just get it when it's free and not pay when it goes up for sale?

Also, good job cherry-picking what articles show up in Recent News for Skyrim, Steam.

If that is indeed how it's going to work then we can expect "MOD RELEASE" posts and websites just like Steam sales. This is assuming Valve ever unlocks discussion on the mods themselves in order to figure out if during this period of testing they are worth it. Kind of hard to do when there isn't any discussion allowed :v:

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Apr 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Midnight Voyager posted:

who cares

• Locked thread