Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

So many beautifully absurd rockets that won't work anymore. I'll have to fire MC Escher from my design team. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
New aerodynamic model looks like it's exactly what I hoped it would be. I'm really looking forward to this next release

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE
I'm very excited to work out heat shield logistics for reusable Duna and Laythe operations. I guess I send up a big rack of them so that the shuttlecraft can just grab a new one whenever the old one wears out?

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Grand Fromage posted:

So many beautifully absurd rockets that won't work anymore. I'll have to fire MC Escher from my design team. :sigh:

You can always use those rockets as fireworks. Remember that in Kerbal, making it to another planet and back is accidental. The whole point of the game are cool explosions.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Thesoro posted:

I'm very excited to work out heat shield logistics for reusable Duna and Laythe operations. I guess I send up a big rack of them so that the shuttlecraft can just grab a new one whenever the old one wears out?

I guess you'd have a rack of them docked to your mothership, then release one and dock your landing ship to it? Not sure if you can attach it to your lander outside the VAB/SPH

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE

OAquinas posted:

I guess you'd have a rack of them docked to your mothership, then release one and dock your landing ship to it? Not sure if you can attach it to your lander outside the VAB/SPH

Docking port on one side, separator on the other side was what I was thinking. Possibly some kind of RCS or reaction wheels to facilitate the docking.

The other question is whether I put it on the side with engines and drop it when I get low, or do some sort of Crazy Ivan flip once I'm slow enough to avoid heating. Depends on if the shields are good for more than one reentry, I suppose.

Thesoro fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Apr 26, 2015

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

That hour-long preview video is really nice and gives a great overview of everything new. Something I noticed that wasn't mentioned- the parachutes open slower now! Finally!

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

Cover everything in 5m fairings!

Thesoro posted:

Docking port on one side, separator on the other side was what I was thinking. Possibly some kind of RCS or reaction wheels to facilitate the docking.

From what the first guy on the stream showed, the ablative shield on the pod was good enough to last more than one entry, if needed.

For Eve and Laythe, I'm guessing you'll probably want to enter very, VERY shallowly.

I also expect to see mods adding heat shields to wings, so you might be able to do shuttle style landings to Laythe. Duna, we'll have to see but I doubt it's gonna be that dangerous to aerobrake.

Musluk fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Apr 26, 2015

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
Between FAR, DRE, KIDS, probably Procedural Fairings, and from the sounds of it Warp Altitude Remover, that's a solid 5 mods I'll be able to get rid of that I've had since forever. Maybe Karbonite, too, depending how good the new system is.

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE

Musluk posted:

From what the first guy on the stream showed, the ablative shield on the pod was good enough to last more than one entry, if needed.
That's good to hear. If that's the case, I can have the shuttlecraft with only one docking port - it can use the same one to dock with the orbital station and then wear the heatshield like a hat.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Thesoro posted:

That's good to hear. If that's the case, I can have the shuttlecraft with only one docking port - it can use the same one to dock with the orbital station and then wear the heatshield like a hat.

Well, according to illectro's preview, heat shields work off of an ablation resource that gets consumed while in reentry. So it's possible that you might be able to dock and transfer the resource to your in-use heat shield like you'd transfer fuel.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Not gonna lie, I'm gonna miss the ScanSat system of setting up polar mapping orbits where the width of the mapped area depends on altitude and such, and you have to wait/timewarp until the whole surface is adequately mapped.

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE

Lprsti99 posted:

Well, according to illectro's preview, heat shields work off of an ablation resource that gets consumed while in reentry. So it's possible that you might be able to dock and transfer the resource to your in-use heat shield like you'd transfer fuel.
On first thought that seemed like a pretty strange abstraction, but I guess if you think about it as a supply of ceramic tiles...

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Between FAR, DRE, KIDS, probably Procedural Fairings, and from the sounds of it Warp Altitude Remover, that's a solid 5 mods I'll be able to get rid of that I've had since forever. Maybe Karbonite, too, depending how good the new system is.

The new ISRU system is basically Karbonite, or the thing Karbonite runs off of, but much more polished.

I would imagine that Karbonite will be updated to run off the new base system, and that other resource utilization systems will too, so I think your new ISRU mods will be things that add more stuff to mine and do with the mined stuff, rather than more systems for mining.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Musluk posted:

For Eve and Laythe, I'm guessing you'll probably want to enter very, VERY shallowly.

I also expect to see mods adding heat shields to wings, so you might be able to do shuttle style landings to Laythe. Duna, we'll have to see but I doubt it's gonna be that dangerous to aerobrake.

One thing's for sure, 200g Jool aerobraking is out the window with 1.0. Which is kind of funny remembering the conversation we had in here a year or so ago about heat effects and/or G forces being part of stock. This update will probably shake up the mod scene a fair bit too. It'll be interesting to see how things morph to accommodate the new stock inclusions and the tree changes will open things up.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

OwlFancier posted:

The new ISRU system is basically Karbonite, or the thing Karbonite runs off of, but much more polished.

I would imagine that Karbonite will be updated to run off the new base system, and that other resource utilization systems will too, so I think your new ISRU mods will be things that add more stuff to mine and do with the mined stuff, rather than more systems for mining.

Considering Roverdude probably had more than a small hand in the new system, that would seem to be a safe bet.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Lprsti99 posted:

Doubtful. You can't transfer it in DRE, and you can't transfer solid fuel in stock, so you probably can't transfer this, either.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Luneshot posted:

That hour-long preview video is really nice and gives a great overview of everything new. Something I noticed that wasn't mentioned- the parachutes open slower now! Finally!

Got a link?

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE

Alaan posted:

Got a link?
This is a playlist of a bunch of preview videos; the one hour one is the fourth one by "TheWinterOwl".

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Luneshot posted:

Not gonna lie, I'm gonna miss the ScanSat system of setting up polar mapping orbits where the width of the mapped area depends on altitude and such, and you have to wait/timewarp until the whole surface is adequately mapped.

Maxmaps dropped a few notes about that in the stream chat and other places, apparently the experimentals crowd didn't like waiting so now it's instant resolution.

What I'd like to see, if karbonite style background scanning is not possible due to memory/time constraints, is to give it a time limit set by the parent planet/moon's values (size) and altitude and eccentricity of the craft. Like, Mun takes 4 days to scan, Minmus takes 2, Gilly 1, but once the timer is done (like some contracts giving you a timer) you get access to the full map.

That's a compromise between waiting and getting access to it fully without gaps in between, I guess.

Ratzap posted:

One thing's for sure, 200g Jool aerobraking is out the window with 1.0. Which is kind of funny remembering the conversation we had in here a year or so ago about heat effects and/or G forces being part of stock. This update will probably shake up the mod scene a fair bit too. It'll be interesting to see how things morph to accommodate the new stock inclusions and the tree changes will open things up.

Hah, yeah. Still, it might be possible to attach a 5m heatshield and some wings (apparently wings have a higher temperature treshold so spaceplanes can actually return from orbit) so you can still aerobrake in Jool.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Holy poo poo, you can merge saved vehicles now :circlefap:

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE
Somewhere in the new features list I thought I saw that each class of Kerbal would get more abilities. Anyone know if there's any word on this?

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

I found a mod that gives you parts and related contracts for impactor experiments. I got one that wanted me to record an impact of 4.48 GJ on the Mun. "Well," I thought. "That seems like a lot, but I can do it, even at my low tech level." Since that required smashing about 6ish tons into the surface at 1250 m/sec, and I was limited to 1.25m parts (or slightly greater with procedural ones) and a launchpad weight of 140 tons, I figured I had my work cut out for me.

I ended up with a rocket that was capable of 7.981 tons at 4482 m/sec, or over 80 GJ, which WolframAlpha says is about the same as the fission of a gram of uranium. Mission accomplished. :jeb:

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Flagrant Abuse posted:

I found a mod that gives you parts and related contracts for impactor experiments. I got one that wanted me to record an impact of 4.48 GJ on the Mun. "Well," I thought. "That seems like a lot, but I can do it, even at my low tech level." Since that required smashing about 6ish tons into the surface at 1250 m/sec, and I was limited to 1.25m parts (or slightly greater with procedural ones) and a launchpad weight of 140 tons, I figured I had my work cut out for me.

I ended up with a rocket that was capable of 7.981 tons at 4482 m/sec, or over 80 GJ, which WolframAlpha says is about the same as the fission of a gram of uranium. Mission accomplished. :jeb:

Minimum requirements are for scrubs. Always overachieve!

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

VodeAndreas posted:

As someone that doesn't use FAR and DR I'm going to have to relearn this entire game aren't I... This is going to be a fun week.

Yeah, I haven't really used them myself either. Would anyone be kind enough to post a quick outline of a launch profile? As in when to start pitching, major milestones, etc?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

The one thing I haven't been able to find out yet: did they fix the EVA glitch? It's the thing I've been most annoyed with.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Unimpressed posted:

Yeah, I haven't really used them myself either. Would anyone be kind enough to post a quick outline of a launch profile? As in when to start pitching, major milestones, etc?

General rule for most aero mods (including new stock) is that prograde is best grade, don't try to pitch more than a few degrees from prograde in atmosphere, or the vehicle will stall, flip out, explode, or end up pointing backwards.

Your ascent profile can be however you like so long as your turns are always gradual. This goes for aircraft and rockets, though aircraft have more control so you can throw them around more at lower speeds. High speeds will probably still flip out though.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Unimpressed posted:

Scott's preview video demonstrates a standard launch with an accurate atmosphere.

The change is this: you start turning immediately, but you never turn very much. It's a much more gradual turn than what you've been doing previously. Keeping your rocket pointed within the circle of the velocity vector is the best bet. It's worth noting that if you angle the rocket slightly east on the pad, a good rocket will gravity turn all by itself. You won't have to do anything until quiet a long way up.

Design wise, your upper stages really don't need much thrust at all, and you'll find you've got a nice shallow trajectory if you keep your TWR low (anything above 1 is fine, and 2 is probably too much).

What is really cool about this is we can now learn from real rockets (in the same way we can use real space tricks for orbit work). Your trajectory will look the same as a real launch, instead of the weird dog leg trajectories you do now (hit 10km, hard over 45 degrees).

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Is there any word on whether the jet engine air intake balancing problem has been fixed for 1.0?

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
If fairing parts will always separate into a million pieces, then I hope someone fixes that with a mod or ill still be using procedural fairings

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
But then you might be missing out on the oh-so-sexy new fairings creation system.

But yes I agree it's kinda dumb.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

General rule for most aero mods (including new stock) is that prograde is best grade, don't try to pitch more than a few degrees from prograde in atmosphere, or the vehicle will stall, flip out, explode, or end up pointing backwards.
In addition to that, you now need to think about CoM/CoL with rockets as well. If your CoL is ahead of your CoM you run a much greater risk of flipping over.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

If your center of mass is directly above the thrust it should be fine, right?

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
I'd love a video or something by rover explaining the stock system he made

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Grand Fromage posted:

If your center of mass is directly above the thrust it should be fine, right?

I don't think that would make a very good spaceplane at all, actually.

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006
Will there still be advantage to asparagus staging or have they (somehow?) gotten rid of that?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Absorbs Smaller Goons posted:

Will there still be advantage to asparagus staging or have they (somehow?) gotten rid of that?

Unless they plan on breaking the laws of physics: Aspy Staging will always be here.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
Does anyone know whether kerbal levels/skills do anything now? I seem to recall it was suggested that they would be able to dock for you and stuff like that.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Absorbs Smaller Goons posted:

Asparagus staging will always be beneficial, it has little to do with aerodynamics. The reason we don't do it in real life is that in-flight fuel transfer (like so many other things) is a whole lot harder in reality than KSP makes it out to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006

Collateral Damage posted:

Asparagus staging will always be beneficial, it has little to do with aerodynamics. The reason we don't do it in real life is that in-flight fuel transfer (like so many other things) is a whole lot harder in reality than KSP makes it out to be.

Bondematt posted:

Unless they plan on breaking the laws of physics: Aspy Staging will always be here.

Yeah I know the basics work IRL but I was wondering if they had "fixed" fuel transfer mechanics to better represent reality and make asparagus staging impossible. Good to know it will still work, it's basically the only way I can manage to build efficient rockets.