Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013

Nintendo Kid posted:

Don't forget that in SiN your actions in earlier levels can lead to changes as severe as completely skipping one of the levels later on and skipping significant chunks of other ones. The old GameFAQs walkthroughs for it have decent info on what changes based on what.

Interesting I had no idea the game is so complex. Will check it out after I finish it. Thanks! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ok, so my Doom experiences have been limited to BD, TnT, Plutonia, and full Doom 1 and 2 (with a little bit of Doom The Way ID Would Do It). I'm going to check out Going Down and Demonsteele, but does anyone have any other suggestions?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Nokiaman posted:

Interesting I had no idea the game is so complex. Will check it out after I finish it. Thanks! :)

Yeah for instance it starts with the fact that if you blow up the x-shaped bundles of explosives/rockets on top of the bank in the very first gameplay segment, you destroy ceilings and see the results once you enter the bank. Also depending on how you handle that segment you'll enter the bank from up to three different entrances.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Asking the thread for a favor here... particularly anyone who already has a Quake engine set up to play music soundtrack files.

I was in the mood to edit/fiddle with my Quake soundtrack guide on Steam, particularly to provide more of a clear up-front recommendation about which of the various soundtrack file packages people should use. As opposed to just dumping a bunch of links on them and saying "uh use one of these I guess".

One gotcha though is that none of those soundtrack file collections properly remove the "pre-emphasis" transformation from the CD tracks. At least as far as I can tell, using Spek. This is probably a minor issue at best, but eh if I'm going to recommend one thing as The Thing To Use then I'd like it to be correct.

(If you're not hip to pre-emphasis, the guide describes it a bit and links to a good article: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=119489135 )

So I've gone ahead and made the soundtrack packages that I wished existed. OGG+MP3, handling pre-emphasis, and as a bonus being laid out in the correct format to be usable by any of the Quake engines that support soundtrack files. I had linked some stuff earlier in the thread -- partly that's what poked me into looking more into this issue -- but the zip I linked didn't have OGG versions of the missionpack tracks, and I wasn't entirely happy with the MP3 quality. New stuff re-created from scratch:

original campaign soundtrack
mission pack 1 soundtrack
mission pack 2 soundtrack

But I haven't done a ton of testing on those yet. The beginnings of each track sound right, and all the tracks are the right length, but obviously I haven't played completely thru the Quake campaign and both missionpacks to check these. Yet. :-)

Long-winded way of saying: if you're a Quake-soundtrack-user, let me know if you give any of these files a try and they work (or don't work) for you. Post in the thread or PM is OK either way. I don't expect I'll get enough responses that it will be a problem.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ok, so my Doom experiences have been limited to BD, TnT, Plutonia, and full Doom 1 and 2 (with a little bit of Doom The Way ID Would Do It). I'm going to check out Going Down and Demonsteele, but does anyone have any other suggestions?

Back to Saturn X, and Project MSX made for a really fun combination. Psychic is also good fun.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

I can vouche for Psychic.

Personal favorite gameplay mod. Starts off pretty difficult, but in short order you become a loving monster.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

Thyrork posted:

Back to Saturn X, and Project MSX made for a really fun combination.

They really, really, sincerely don't.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I'm loving Demonsteele, but I cannot figure out how to use the gun specials. It's supposed to be just like the sword specials, right? Hold down and tap the direction keys?

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Hold down primary fire as if you were using a special, but tap alt-fire when readied to use the gun.
They (generally) only use one notch of soul instead of two, but take a big ol' chunk of ammo as well.

I need to update the F1 help page, sorry.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

esselfortium posted:

:smith: Wait poo poo, I pair'd the wrong damned mods. I did a playthrough of Back to Saturn X with Brutal Doom, not Project MSX.

E: I paired Project MSX with Hellbound. One of the big complains that i agree with is that Hellbound has too many damned monsters. Project MSX's increased firepower offsets that nicely.

TerminusEst13 posted:

Hold down primary fire as if you were using a special, but tap alt-fire when readied to use the gun.
They (generally) only use one notch of soul instead of two, but take a big ol' chunk of ammo as well.

I need to update the F1 help page, sorry.

HOW DOES THIS MOD HAVE SO MUCH STUFF?! :arghfist::haw: The upside down cross is a nice touch.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Apr 25, 2015

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Along with the other suggestions you've gotten, as far as gameplay mods go, anything by wildweasel is probably going to be worth your time. He always has really good weapon design and his concepts are always pretty solid. He's the author of NAZIS!, which gives the game more of a Wolfenstein feel without the pain of making every enemy hitscans, as well as TERRORISTS!, which is a love letter to cheesy 80s action movies. Other mods of his I recall enjoying are The Stranger, Diaz, and the sadly unfinished Agent Hernandez.

Also, Doom Roguelike Arsenal is almost a requirement. It takes elements from fan favorite Doom: The Roguelike and puts them back into the original game, giving you multiple player classes, each with their own weapon specialties, a weapon modding system, complete with custom assemblies that make new weapon types, and a new armor and boots system--you can wear a set of armor and boots, and carry a spare set in your inventory for later use. Boots provide protection against hurting floors, as well as some sets giving you other bonuses (e.g. anti-grav boots allow you to jump higher, grappling boots make you get less kickback when hit, etc.) and some armor and boot combinations giving you really nice bonuses (e.g. combat boots and combat armor making you immune to splash damage, the inquisitor's set making you immune to fire damage, etc.). It also comes with an optional module of randomized monsters, as well as compatibility with a very popular Doom RPG mod that lots of people swear by but I haven't yet tried myself.

esselfortium posted:

Is this actually a gameplay sentiment, or do you just not want people playing the maps in a non-vanilla way? Not griping at you, just genuinely curious.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

Is this actually a gameplay sentiment, or do you just not want people playing the maps in a non-vanilla way? Not griping at you, just genuinely curious.

In a general sense, I'm rarely fond of gameplay mods that aren't part of a mapset that's specifically designed around those changes (for instance, Valiant).*

As a mapper, so many locations and encounters are set up based on the particulars of certain monster behavior, and loading them with a mod that arbitrarily changes them to behave differently (as in, in ways that the map designer could not predict) is taking out a lot of the original intent. For instance, just changing the projectile pattern of a monster can completely wreck how a fight was set up -- to use a vanilla example, consider the differences between an arachnotron's straight-line barrage and a mancubus' spread fire. They're both mid-tier monsters with projectile attacks, but they're effective in very different situations.

With that said, that's all Just Like My Opinion, Man, and people can play the maps however they want. I just find it tiring to repeatedly see 'you should play BTSX with MSX, they were practically made for each other!' when I don't think anyone who actually worked on BTSX would agree, and the two were certainly never tested together during development. MSX is MSX and BTSX is BTSX. The sum of their parts is just worse IMO.

*There are of course exceptions to this, like Extreme Weapons Pack, which is a beautiful child of god and should be autoloaded with all maps.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Well good news! Turns out I didn't play BTSX with MSX! I played it with... Brutal Doom. :suicide:

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

quote:

It also comes with an optional module of randomized monsters, as well as compatibility with a very popular Doom RPG mod that lots of people swear by but I haven't yet tried myself.
I've played it, it felt like Doom's version of Naferia's reign just with all of the anime cut out. It's very intricate but the problem is, like lots of gameplay mods, because you load it up with a random megawad the balance basically relies on luck or how well stuff clashes together rather than any kind of deliberate scale. It's like an exacerbated version of the problem esselfortium just described. It very sorely needs an actual set of maps made for it rather than just a massive clash of different powers, abilities and poo poo thrown together. Prodoom was a mod that would of been pretty bad if it was just a gameplay mod but it had it's own megawad that turned it from a clusterfuck into a pretty drat entertaining experience. RPG elements are good when the game is designed for it, but when it just starts swapping stuff out based on a leveling system randomly...the results can sometimes work but more often than not they don't. I haven't played it for quite some time though, so I can't vouch for what it's like right now.

This is also why I'm looking forward to checking out the new Brutal Doom campaign, because they would of been designed to work together (I'm not a Doom connoisseur though so as someone who's a Duker I don't enjoy most Doom wads since they're too abstract)

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Thyrork posted:

Well good news! Turns out I didn't play BTSX with MSX! I played it with... Brutal Doom. :suicide:

If you had fun you're wrong

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
GZDoom for Mac nightlies are now available at http://public.horsemans.co/gzdoom/

The builds are checked at midnight Central European time, and won't be checked when my Mac is offline, but otherwise it's exactly what you'd expect.

Catalyst-proof fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 25, 2015

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

esselfortium posted:

In a general sense, I'm rarely fond of gameplay mods that aren't part of a mapset that's specifically designed around those changes (for instance, Valiant).*

As a mapper, so many locations and encounters are set up based on the particulars of certain monster behavior, and loading them with a mod that arbitrarily changes them to behave differently (as in, in ways that the map designer could not predict) is taking out a lot of the original intent. For instance, just changing the projectile pattern of a monster can completely wreck how a fight was set up -- to use a vanilla example, consider the differences between an arachnotron's straight-line barrage and a mancubus' spread fire. They're both mid-tier monsters with projectile attacks, but they're effective in very different situations.

With that said, that's all Just Like My Opinion, Man, and people can play the maps however they want. I just find it tiring to repeatedly see 'you should play BTSX with MSX, they were practically made for each other!' when I don't think anyone who actually worked on BTSX would agree, and the two were certainly never tested together during development. MSX is MSX and BTSX is BTSX. The sum of their parts is just worse IMO.

*There are of course exceptions to this, like Extreme Weapons Pack, which is a beautiful child of god and should be autoloaded with all maps.

I've actually been adding numerous toggle options to my Modes of Destruction gameplay mod for this reason, to allow the player to revert altered monster behavior to something 1:1 identical with vanilla (although arachnotrons and mancubi are already identical, the only differences they have or have ever had are cosmetic). So if you don't like the new revenant missiles, the flame elementals that replace pain elementals, the enhanced bosses, etc. you can turn them off.

Not going to do the same for the weapons though--without the various weapon modes, what's the point of the mod?

And for those of you who've played MoD before, the BFG 11000's disintegration deaths are now applied to all monsters, not just imps and zombies. :getin:

E: Speaking of gameplay mods, it wasn't until last week that I completed BTSX Episode 2. I had to use The Trailblazer to play it because it just defeated me with the vanilla gameplay. It was consistently beautiful but this extremely choreographed gameplay style biased heavily towards revenants and archviles...I just can't appreciate that sort of monster usage. Especially the archviles. The archviles got really irritating, they were in seemingly every map and there were shitloads of them. I would enjoy BTSX so much more if it played like a good 1995-96 map set.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Apr 25, 2015

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

DoomRPG has a ridiculous amount of menuing that I always felt took me too far out of running around at 40 mph mowing down demons in Hell. DoomRL Arsenal, on the other hand, is pretty legit if you accept that it's not going to be balanced. Especially with the monster pack.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Is there a good mod manager for gzdoom like what exists for the oblivion/fallout games?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I personally like ZDL, but there's not anything quite as simple to use as a mod manager for Fallout. It'll remember the engine and let you pick iwads out of a list, but you have to load the pwad files via a file browser.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Well ZDL is going to be very different from a Bethesda game mod manager because Doom modding has very little in common with Bethesda game modding.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I'll give it a look, thanks.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Hellbound is very good for gameplay mods because it's clear that zero thought was put into monster placement.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

site posted:

Is there a good mod manager for gzdoom like what exists for the oblivion/fallout games?

Try Hobomaster's Doom Launcher.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
For Quake 1, there's Quake Injector. It only works for maps, though. For mods and stuff like bots, you'll need to load it the old fasioned way.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Alain Post posted:

Hellbound is very good for gameplay mods because it's clear that zero thought was put into monster placement.

On the other hand it means you have to play Hellbound. :v:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
honestly I just like setting up .bat files. It's sort of like how people prefer software rendering or CRTs or poo poo, vinyl. the bits are warmer

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Woolie Wool posted:

On the other hand it means you have to play Hellbound. :v:

Hey, it's fun with Russian Overkill. :v:

Also hey you're the dude who made Modes of Destruction? pretty rad stuff!

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Segmentation Fault posted:

honestly I just like setting up .bat files. It's sort of like how people prefer software rendering or CRTs or poo poo, vinyl. the bits are warmer

.bat files are nice for quickly playing a mod. They're not even remotly hard to make either.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

M.Ciaster posted:

Hey, it's fun with Russian Overkill. :v:

Also hey you're the dude who made Modes of Destruction? pretty rad stuff!

My memories of playing BTSX E1's final map with MoD makes me think a Disable Reloading option should be added. However, it would break weapon balance in half so it will only be recommended for if an area is impossible or nearly impossible with reloading. The reloading on setting will be default and have (Recommended) after it.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Segmentation Fault posted:

same

I'm going to throw out a plug to my excel file with vba allows you to search for maps and turn that into a little command line program (batch file) for running levels. The batch file code is generated from an excel tab for quick and easy editing, and so you can double check I'm not deleting your c drive or anything. You could also edit it to include a particular mod if you wanted to. http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-general/68764-map-specific-batch-loader/

On that note I'm poking at this again... has anything of note come out since Valiant? I've seen stuff like Capellan's boom map, Favilesco Alpha E2, and Memfis' really cool reality maps, but not sure if anything else of note has released.

Bread Pudding
Aug 7, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

DoomRPG has a ridiculous amount of menuing that I always felt took me too far out of running around at 40 mph mowing down demons in Hell. DoomRL Arsenal, on the other hand, is pretty legit if you accept that it's not going to be balanced. Especially with the monster pack.
I had the same problem but fortunately it's a fairly customizable mod! Set it to level your stats naturally or spend your points randomly (you can even mess with distribution weights!) and ignore the spells as much as you can and you have regular Doom with level ups, sidequests and a shop. :v:

I liked how Hexen 2 did "pure FPS with RPG elements" : you leveled up and automatically gained points in stats and neat perks based on your class. Unfortunately that game had the same map design issues as its older brother, except instead of most of your game time being spent trying to solve the last third of the puzzle on the Seven Portals you needed literal days to find the Canopic Jar so you could finally get out of Fantasy Egypt.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
On map23 of Going Down, how the gently caress am I supposed to get the yellow key in the bedroom? I've gotten everything else in the map and humped every wall, why won't you give it to me :argh:

koren
Sep 7, 2003

If i recall correctly there's a wall you can use outside the bedroom, opposite the evil eye and a switch in there.

koren fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Apr 26, 2015

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
That was it, thanks!

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Just popping in to post this really neat titlepic Kracov made for Freedoom 2:

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

doomrl is weird for me because i always try to play the different classes, but then always just go back to playing a scout with a crafted revolver because no other class comes close to the damage that does. kill a cyberdemon in 30 shots with the most common ammo type in the game? alright then!

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Apr 26, 2015

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Roobanguy posted:

doomrl is weird for me because i always try to play the different classes, but then always just go back to playing a scout with a crafted revolver because no other class comes close to the damage that does. kill a cyberdemon in 30 shots with the most common ammo type in the game? alright then!

Marine with burst laser rifle or demolition ammo battle rifle tends to be my go to in the current version. They're both pinpoint accurate hitscan weapons with absurd DPS and ammo efficiency. Cyberdemons aren't 100% immune to splash damage with the monster pack so demo ammo battle rifle still does more dps than a plasma rifle against it. Renegade with a P modded nano shrapnel super shotgun is pretty disgusting, having infinite ammo and fire rate on par with a pistol.

Scouts are getting nerfed hard next version

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

laserghost posted:

Just popping in to post this really neat titlepic Kracov made for Freedoom 2:

So the left is the new cacodemon, what's on the right? The pinky replacement? Really weird that one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
The last time I played DoomRPG+RL was about a year ago and I played as a renegade and just pumped luck until I was basically jesus. Has anything changed since then?