Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The Sharmat posted:

I liked Foggy but I think that one episode that is like 50% Foggy complaining to Matt about his hurt feelings is a bit much. I'm probably just weird though.

I personally believe that's the best episode of the season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Deadpool posted:

The best drat avocados.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

The Sharmat posted:

I liked Foggy but I think that one episode that is like 50% Foggy complaining to Matt about his hurt feelings is a bit much. I'm probably just weird though. I mean I also think Karen does some pretty bad poo poo in this series and I liked her. So maybe I'm just a huge pushover.

There were two shortlived Spiderman villains called Styx and Stone but they were awful and not cool like this duo. So yeah, Marvel pulled the same name gag twice.

If there's one thing that comic books are guaranteed to do, it's reuse all the gags/puns/names they can get away with.

I actually really liked the episode "Nelson v. Murdock". Foggy's complaining is punctuated by flashbacks showing how much Matt has been lying to Foggy during all their great friendship moments and how Foggy has been 100% honest and open with Matt.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Snak posted:

and how Foggy has been 100% honest and open with Matt.

That kind of takes the sting out of the whole "Wait you could always tell when I was lying?" thing.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

The Sharmat posted:

That kind of takes the sting out of the whole "Wait you could always tell when I was lying?" thing.

The things Foggy has lied about to Matt have probably been things like "No I didn't eat the last of the lasagna" while the things Matt has lied about to Foggy were "I have a disability that significantly impairs my ability to lead a normal life."

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

The Sharmat posted:

Okay that's true, he hasn't been 100% honest with Matt 100% of the time. I meant things like choosing to leave the the firm they interned at for moral reasons, and representing tenpin man, and representing Mrs. Carnitas, where Foggy is talking about how he feels about them honestly, and Matt is going against him with ulterior Daredevil motives and lying about the Matt Murdock reasons for doing that.

Like if your best friend helped you pick out what car to buy, and and later you found out that you guying a toyota furthered his personal goals and all the things he said to convince you were basically lies to manipulate you into following his secret agenda. Foggy thought they had a symmetrical friendship, now he's forced to wonder if he's just being used as part of the cover of a superhero who's had his powers since before they met.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

The Sharmat posted:

But he REALLY didn't like Matt's cupcakes he baked. He was just being nice. :(

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I just finished the series!

It was really good overall but I thought Foggy was a really underwritten and underwhelming character. The one thing I like about the episode Nelson v. Murdock is how Matt runs through every cliche trying to justify being a vigilante "what should I have done with my powers!? NOTHING!?" etc. and Foggy keeps going back to "uh we're lawyers, we're kinda supposed to believe in the law you stupid rear end."

Kingpin finally lowering his head and rhino-rushing Daredevil was freaking great though. :v:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Came across this while browsing imgur earlier.
http://i.imgur.com/6TtF7De.png

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

spite house posted:

I've been parsing her as a dedicated, lifelong, very successful opportunist who's tickled to death that her best opportunity came in the form of someone she actually likes and feels tremendous affection for, and I'd also love to see how she got that way.

I'd like explanation best.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Yeah that explanation kinda makes sense. I mean Vanessa is not a particularly moral person. I like the scene where she first wakes up and Wilson is promising her that the people that poisoned her will suffer and her response is "I'd expect nothing less".

She's pretty much the ideal mob boss girlfriend. Which you don't tend to see a lot of.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Between this show and Agents of SHIELD I really wish Marvel would hurry up and release the soundtracks to their TV shows.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Phylodox posted:

Between this show and Agents of SHIELD I really wish Marvel would hurry up and release the soundtracks to their TV shows.

Bear McCreary is awesome

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

AnonSpore posted:

The things Foggy has lied about to Matt have probably been things like "No I didn't eat the last of the lasagna" while the things Matt has lied about to Foggy were "I have a disability that significantly impairs my ability to lead a normal life."

That's not a lie though? The dude is definitely not capable of living a normal life due to both his disability and extra abilities.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
http://www.tvguide.com/news/marvels-daredevil-renewed-season-2-netflix/?rss=breakingnews&partnerid=gatehouse&profileid=breaking

Reading up on news it looks like Season 2 will be out before The Defenders show is.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Re-watching the series and I'm enjoying Owsley a lot more. You can also kind of see Madame Ghao put the pieces together that Wesley isn't really needed to interpret anything. Fisk mentions in passing the time he spent in Asia and "the farm" but I wonder where Wesley learned Japanese and Chinese. Maybe Fisk and he met when they were abroad.

I wouldn't mind Wesley appearing in flashbacks. I'd like to learn more about him. I really don't think he is just a business associate.

I also on my first viewing was convinced that the Catholic Priest would be on the take. I don't know why, maybe it is because I think that would really crush Matthew. Even more so than cops and fellow lawyers would be on it, but even his own priest.

I also like how they tied into the larger MCU even if it is mostly throwaway lines. St. Agnes being the same orphanage Skye/Daisy spent time in. Carl Creel before he became the Absorbing Man, which really makes him a more interesting figure and perhaps he could appear in a Netflix property as well if he has ties to organized crime. These are small things, but these are also things that the early episodes of SHIELD seemed to intentionally avoid.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

notthegoatseguy posted:

I wouldn't mind Wesley appearing in flashbacks. I'd like to learn more about him. I really don't think he is just a business associate.

The biggest clue I think is when Fisk screams "HE WAS MY FRIEND" while trying to beat one of his employees to death because he blamed him for Wesley being killed.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
So when Daredevil finally takes down Kingpin did anybody else mutter to themselves "Justice is served....... justice is served." :haw:

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I immediately went to every fansite I could and typed "Wilson Fisk did nothing wrong"

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Fisk meet Wesley on a message board. They bounded over their love of Train, yet another parallel between characters.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

The Sharmat posted:

I immediately went to every fansite I could and typed "Wilson Fisk did nothing wrong"

He just wanted to make the city something better than it is, something beautiful!

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
You can't prove that Mrs. Cardenas wasn't a drug dealer.

AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

"We're dead. Bartowski's got a gun."

The Sharmat posted:

The biggest clue I think is when Fisk screams "HE WAS MY FRIEND" while trying to beat one of his employees to death because he blamed him for Wesley being killed.
And then that guy still winds up working for him, and Owlsley's like, "You trust him, after giving him a beating like that?" And Fisk's all, "Wesley trusted him, that's what matters." :smith:

AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

"We're dead. Bartowski's got a gun."

Steve Yun posted:

The main villain in Daredevil isn't Wilson Fisk, it's gentrification.

Oh no! Abuela is going to be put out in the street because someone wants to put a condo and frozen yogurt shop here!
Ha! I'd love to see Lillian from Unbreakable Kimmie Schmidt chase Fisk's goons away with a nail-embedded baseball bat. "You get out of here, this is Banana Boys territory! There weren't any good colours left!"

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

notthegoatseguy posted:

Re-watching the series and I'm enjoying Owsley a lot more. You can also kind of see Madame Ghao put the pieces together that Wesley isn't really needed to interpret anything. Fisk mentions in passing the time he spent in Asia and "the farm" but I wonder where Wesley learned Japanese and Chinese. Maybe Fisk and he met when they were abroad.

I also on my first viewing was convinced that the Catholic Priest would be on the take. I don't know why, maybe it is because I think that would really crush Matthew. Even more so than cops and fellow lawyers would be on it, but even his own priest.

I also like how they tied into the larger MCU even if it is mostly throwaway lines. St. Agnes being the same orphanage Skye/Daisy spent time in. Carl Creel before he became the Absorbing Man, which really makes him a more interesting figure and perhaps he could appear in a Netflix property as well if he has ties to organized crime. These are small things, but these are also things that the early episodes of SHIELD seemed to intentionally avoid.

Whats "the farm" supposed to be? I watched most of this while drunk and I probably missed it. Hell I probably missed a lot of poo poo.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Frostwerks posted:

Whats "the farm" supposed to be? I watched most of this while drunk and I probably missed it. Hell I probably missed a lot of poo poo.

Early on in the series Fisk says he was shipped off to live on a farm as a child. A literal farm, not some euphemism.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Maybe he hung out with that nice Kevin boy.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Deadpool posted:

I agree, episode 10 was really really good, episode 11 too. They both hit me pretty good emotionally, this trio reminded me of the Buffy trio's kind of thing in a way. I like all these characters and you ultimately want them to get along, their drama when things started falling apart just hit really well. Good stuff.

All around a really awesome season, got better and better as it went too. Kingpin was done so drat good, I love how eccentric and unique that performance is. In a way it reminds me of Bane from Dark Knight Rises in that you take a strong comic villain and kind of present him in a new way. For me just a really fascinating and fun performance there.

The comparisons to The Wire also popped into my mind oddly enough. It really works, but that said I do hope we get Bullseye in season 2, Elektra at some point, and more costumed characters. Not a must, but it would help make the show more different in the longrun from other crime dramas. Also a little thing, I'd like it if Kingpin is referred to as Kingpin at some point, even in a throwaway line or two.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Apr 26, 2015

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I can't really pick a favorite episode. This was just a really, really long movie to me.

Chakram
Jun 3, 2010

by Shine
Just finished Marvel's Kingpin show. It was really good. Also Daredevil shows up and spouts Nolanisms sometimes.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Matt Murdock doesn't kill. He just throws rigid 30-pound appliances at people's skulls. And off 6 story buildings into metal dumpsters.

No big.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Xealot posted:

Matt Murdock doesn't kill. He just throws rigid 30-pound appliances at people's skulls. And off 6 story buildings into metal dumpsters.

No big.

"I'm not gonna kill you, but I'll let gravity and momentum take their chances."

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Xealot posted:

No big.

He's willing to risk killing or permanently disabling a person to achieve some other goal, but stops short of setting out on outright assassinations.

Yeah it's an arbitrary moral line but it's not a hard one to comprehend and it fits with his character.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Chakram posted:

Just finished Marvel's Kingpin show. It was really good. Also Daredevil shows up and spouts Nolanisms sometimes.

This show is one of the few stories where the villain saying "We're not so different" is factually and thematically true. I digged that.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Vanderdeath posted:

This show is one of the few stories where the villain saying "We're not so different" is factually and thematically true. I digged that.

And then Matt just says "no gently caress you" and it's never brought up explicitly ever again, it was great.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

surc posted:

Man, a few rotten ninjas ruin it for the rest! :argh: (I would assume due to the number of ninja attacks which presumably happen on a daily basis in the Marvel U, ninja clans are probably considered gangs from the police perspective, although maybe not in the movie/tv universe yet).

The Hand is more like a crazy cult with ninjas. They don't really show up all that often in NYC outside of Daredevil. But when heroes go to Japan, they can't take two steps without pissing off some ninja clan.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

thrakkorzog posted:

The Hand is more like a crazy cult with ninjas. They don't really show up all that often in NYC outside of Daredevil. But when heroes go to Japan, they can't take two steps without pissing off some ninja clan.

They also so frequently get their asses kicked in situations where they outnumber the heroes they're fighting 20-1 that they became a bit of a joke. "Oh no it's the mysterious and terrifying Hand, those guys who got their asses handed to them by a single noodle vendor in an issue of Wolverine!"

It was quite nice to see the TV version without that baggage - Matt fights one single Hand ninja and gets demolished, and only wins by virtue of an accident giving him an out that proved fatal to the ninja. Then Kingpin comes in and just batters the poo poo out of Matt for good measure.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Stick and Matt beat up multiple ninjas when trying to stop Black Sky though didn't they? Matt did most of it on his own even. Nobu really gave Matt a run for his money, but he was probably reasonably high on the skill/authority ladder within the Hand and not every Hand member is going to be on his level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

tsob posted:

Stick and Matt beat up multiple ninjas when trying to stop Black Sky though didn't they? Matt did most of it on his own even. Nobu really gave Matt a run for his money, but he was probably reasonably high on the skill/authority ladder within the Hand and not every Hand member is going to be on his level.

Those seemed more like just low-level gangsters working for the Hand instead of genuine Hand ninjas.