Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Check out the OP:

krushgroove posted:

Taking Pictures
I can’t really cover it any better than paraphrasing one of the guys from the Tale of Painters blog, who’s been featured a couple of times in Warhammer Visions: “If your paint job is amazing, but the photography is lousy, it’ll be impossible to get across the quality of your work.”

The basic method to get good pictures of your models is:
Use a white background - tape a piece of white paper (and not a sheet that has any writing on either side) to a spray can or a lamp and let it curve from your flat desk area up to a 90-degree angle. Make sure it CURVES and doesn’t fold. Yes, you can use colored backgrounds and whatever but this is the BASIC method.
Use a good light source - your desk lamp will be fine, two will be better. If you have one light only, position it high above the model and at an angle, pointing at the model. If you have two, aim them at either side of the model, with at about a 45-degree angle to the model if you’re looking straight down.
Avoid harsh shadows - put a piece of tissue paper or paper towel on the reflector of the desk lamp. This is your zero-cost light diffuser. You can get actual photographer’s diffuser cloth but this works fine too.

If you’ve got a Digital SLR or advanced point and shoot camera, check out this guide from Tale of Painters for taking awesome army photos: http://taleofpainters.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/tutorial-beginners-guide-to-miniature.html?showComment=1421265781338

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Crossposting from the Infinity thread

Made some tissue filters, got a second lamp, and now I have a photo setup that doesn't rely on a mass of reflectors.

And since people have been talking about lighting - I used a single lamp setup previously with 2 reflectors on either side. I bought a second lamp and it has made a world of difference. I also made some filters with tissue paper:

I've finally based all the Aleph stuff I had painted, and I photographed the lot with my proper camera.

Latest painted mini. I replaced the Hac Tao head with one from Statuesque Miniatures. I'm planning to use her as a proxy Phoenix. I tried to do more blending on her - some had commented that my earlier paintjobs didn't blend very much.

I re-did the original freehand on the Odalisque's skirt after seeing some awesome work by Darkstar (on the Reaper forums). Better than the original, but still pretty shoddy compared to my inspiration.

Replaced my hastily hacked-together base with a proper one. Now my Satria is truly complete.

Rest of my Aleph dude(ttes)

Now that I've got an army, I just need to find someone to trash me in a game.

Any suggestions for improvement would be much appreciated.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
*breaks his paintbrush*

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
The Sex Cannon painted another tank? Whaaaaaa?
This time, it's one that can and will blow itself to pieces!

Real talk: Tte Executioner's probably my favorite Leman Russ variant, and I think it's super cool that I have one, now!

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

The Sex Cannon posted:

Awesome tank.

Your tanks are some of my favorite things in this thread. The metallics are wonderful.

everythingWasBees fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Apr 27, 2015

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

The Sex Cannon posted:

The Sex Cannon painted another tank? Whaaaaaa?
This time, it's one that can and will blow itself to pieces!

Real talk: Tte Executioner's probably my favorite Leman Russ variant, and I think it's super cool that I have one, now!

That black is so tight.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Welp.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Looking forward to hopefully building up one of those for one of my gaming friends!

Also, just wanted to share this for anyone in the UK looking to get the Badger Sotar 20/20 airbrush: the Oath Thread sponsor Barwell Body Works has these on sale right now at £87 http://www.barwellbodyworks-shop.com/164-g-20-20-badger-sotar-airbrush.html which is just £2 more than you can get them shipped from Amazon USA at their current sale price. Support a UK business, get one of the best airbrushes out there and get it faster than you can get it from the US (with no Customs fees).

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

gross

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
W-what is it? :ohdear:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Super Waffle posted:

W-what is it? :ohdear:

Warlord Titan from Forgeworld.

It will probably be a nightmare to assemble and will be hilariously top-heavy and likely collapse under its own weight.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Slimnoid posted:

Warlord Titan from Forgeworld.

It will probably be a nightmare to assemble and will be hilariously top-heavy and likely collapse under its own weight.

:stare: I thought they topped out at the Reaver class. How much does that thing cost?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Super Waffle posted:

:stare: I thought they topped out at the Reaver class. How much does that thing cost?

We don't know yet, it's not officially released.

But it'll be worth at least two Carls, maybe three.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Super Waffle posted:

Let me tell you about Imperator-class titans

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I just don't understand these absurdly large models. Never mind the game implications, I'm talking as an engineer from the construction perspective. You can't really call that a miniature anymore. The thought of putting together something that big, out of resin, with superglue? It makes no sense. At that size you should be using screws, bolts, nuts, actual hardware. It should have a metal skeleton that resin puts are glued on to.

I...I just can't. I can't. :psyduck:

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

cast it out of god drat aluminum at that point it would probably be cheaper

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Super Waffle posted:

I just don't understand these absurdly large models. Never mind the game implications, I'm talking as an engineer from the construction perspective. You can't really call that a miniature anymore. The thought of putting together something that big, out of resin, with superglue? It makes no sense. At that size you should be using screws, bolts, nuts, actual hardware. It should have a metal skeleton that resin puts are glued on to.

I don't think anyone expects it to hold together if you only use superglue. But yeah, it's dumb. All because GW nerds are scared out of their minds at the thought of using minis in other scales than 28mm

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Super Waffle posted:

Have you seen the Manta? Its as big as a small child. I bet this one will need pins the size of pencils.

Reminds me of modelling Gundams. When you get the really big models (1/60 scale) they actually start falling over because there isn't actually enough friction in the joints to hold it upright against its own weight.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Super Waffle posted:

*cough*

Never again.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Super Waffle posted:

rumour is around a grand

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Christ. That is going to be stupid big

Here's a pic of a warhounds foot for comparison:

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
Sometimes it is cool to make stuff for novelty sake and they make rules for it because why not? It isn't like they are replacing tactical marines with warlord titans or something.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Yeah it makes sense from an aspirational standpoint, kind of like the limited releases, etc. (not a topic for this thread of course) - but every modeller drools over huge, expensive & impractical models they'll never actually own. Look at the market for 1/32 WW2 warplanes and the meter-long German railguns. Hell, GW is even going to start charging people just to look at the models at Warhammer World after it opens up again.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

krushgroove posted:

Hell, GW is even going to start charging people just to look at the models at Warhammer World after it opens up again.

I'm not sure if you're joking or if you're actually serious :ohdear:

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

krushgroove posted:

Hell, GW is even going to start charging people just to look at the models at Warhammer World after it opens up again.

That is some loving bullshit if true. Unless there are actual Space Marines pouring you beer.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news: http://warhammerworld.games-workshop.com/citadel-miniatures-hall/

quote:

Entrance to Warhammer World, the stores, Events Hall and Bugman’s Bar is free. Tickets for the Exhibition Centre will be purchased in the Warhammer World store.

Adult (18 years and older): £7.50
Child (12-17 years): £5
Child (11 years and under): Free

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
hahahaha

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

No-one will go and it will be free within 6 months.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

krushgroove posted:

Yeah it makes sense from an aspirational standpoint, kind of like the limited releases, etc. (not a topic for this thread of course) - but every modeller drools over huge, expensive & impractical models they'll never actually own. Look at the market for 1/32 WW2 warplanes and the meter-long German railguns. Hell, GW is even going to start charging people just to look at the models at Warhammer World after it opens up again.

I always wanted something stupidly huge like a Karl Gerat on my shelf, but they are pretty rare in 1:35th scale. I figured I'd settle for just any tank in 1:16th scale, but then it's just too wide. :(

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Certainly not worth those prices, even if they have added a bunch more stuff. It's not like it's a big art gallery or something!

Next there'll be a charge to get into their stores.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

serious gaylord posted:

No-one will go and it will be free within 6 months.

More likely it will close in 6 months because no one goes and they'll instead put models into an "Upcoming from Games Workshop Studios" section in Warhammer Visions magazine, available for £21.99 or your regional equivalent. :homebrew:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

:wtc:

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

Yeah that is mega dumb. Lets charge people to experience a really great promotional tool.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Big Willy Style posted:

Yeah that is mega dumb. Lets charge people to experience a really great promotional tool.

Promotional tools are otiose in a niche.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

I really regret not going when I was in London in 2013 now.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
So I guess we can look forward to having the GW website be a subscription based service like the New York Times. 3.99 a month and you can browse our catalogue!

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Hixson will you build my future warlord titan for me? I want to bring it to friendly games.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I really regret not going when I was in London in 2013 now.

Having gone in twice, it really isn't that impressive, and definitely not worth paying any money for. The models are pretty but the display area isn't that much bigger than my tiny uk flat.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Z the IVth posted:

Having gone in twice, it really isn't that impressive, and definitely not worth paying any money for. The models are pretty but the display area isn't that much bigger than my tiny uk flat.

It is being massively remodeled though, I'll be there on opening weekend and be taking pictures of everything. EVERYTHING.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

krushgroove posted:

It is being massively remodeled though, I'll be there on opening weekend and be taking pictures of everything. EVERYTHING.

Will we have to pay to see those too? And will GW throw you in GW jail for violating some sort of no photo confidentiality agreement you automatically consented to by saying "I'll take one" to the ticket seller at the front door?