Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
So as I work on the next bonus content update, I think I'm just going to put the purification chat off with the synthesis for later for the most part. A bunch of them are actually tied to the synthesis scenes after all. I might do the DLC purification in this next one, though, since it's a bit special.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

FrickenMoron posted:

Here's the song for mechanical item synthesis, with Sarly. I really like how unhappy Delta looks in all of those, he clearly does not want to be there. It's also amazing how much youtube butchers video encoding unless you upload 600 megabytes for 18 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ql9GKVoH1r4

Ha, you weren't kidding. Also I didn't really realize how tiny Sarly is.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Wales Grey posted:

Ha, you weren't kidding. Also I didn't really realize how tiny Sarly is.

Been brought up a few times that she is pretty short.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Do you have to watch that animation and jingle every time you synth something, or can you turn that off (or at least skip it)?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Do you have to watch that animation and jingle every time you synth something, or can you turn that off (or at least skip it)?

IIRC you can skip it with a button.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

You can't turn it off, but you can skip it every time, don't even have to have watched it before. In fact you can even see the skip prompt in that screenshot Wales Grey posted :v:

Icedude fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Apr 24, 2015

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
There are actually several different variations of the dance depending on what you're making. Several per shop.

Crepuscule Adepte
Feb 21, 2008

Why is my hair purple? It's from the blood of everyone that lost a bet against me.
Strictly speaking, the dance seems to depend on vaguely defined categories the game has established: The first one we got is Food (and food-related) items, and while it's usually done by Nay, it's not exclusive to Nay. This one is mostly "mechanical" items. Off the top of my head, there's also a medicine dance and a fourth one that I I vaguely recall as "sciencey".

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Crepuscule Adepte posted:

Strictly speaking, the dance seems to depend on vaguely defined categories the game has established: The first one we got is Food (and food-related) items, and while it's usually done by Nay, it's not exclusive to Nay. This one is mostly "mechanical" items. Off the top of my head, there's also a medicine dance and a fourth one that I I vaguely recall as "sciencey".

Yeah the 4th one is for Cathodes and TxBIOS, there's also a 5th one just for miscellaneous items.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Been brought up a few times that she is pretty short.

Yeah, but I figured that she was just a head shorter than Delta like Cass, not "literally the size of a ten year old child".

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Wales Grey posted:

Yeah, but I figured that she was just a head shorter than Delta like Cass, not "literally the size of a ten year old child".

Yeah she's not gotten physically much older than she was in Ciel Nosurge when she was in fact a literal child. Cass at least was lucky enough to be a mid-lateish teenager, though she's still not totally happy about the situation. You could probably even suspect this Incarnation situation is something connected to the dispute in the Dive.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Well that sure makes her interaction with Shirotaka about a million times creepier.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Their relationship was like super weird on every conceivable level.

Though what we've seen in this game was only her perspective on what she felt, we obviously don't know much about his side seeing as he isn't so much around anymore.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Apr 25, 2015

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The medicine synth is probably my favorite one because its a dumb japanse world play again. Also IIRC Sarlys main form of interaction with Shirotaka in Ciel was via online bbs, they were like hacker buddies?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Oh well hey there, kids! So after last time, I was informed that I should kindly stick to story time instead of contributing to your delinquency. I reserve the right to decide that’s boring and spice things up.

Reminds you of the good ol' days, doesn't it?
We don't talk about that... Anyway, Cass is gathering some people outside, so let's start prepping.
Yeah. Well, I'll be in the kitchen, so you take care of everything out here, okay?
There's... No one.
Yeah. And we're ready to start serving, too.
Maybe we should give those limited dishes another shot? Or some kind of event, too?
It seems reckless, but... I'm starting to think it's our only option.
Now the problem is deciding on the event...
It's a pain to think of new events and campaigns every time. I feel like we'll exhaust our ideas immediately.
Events aside, if you've been to a bunch of other restaurants, wouldn't you have some ideas for dishes by now?
I mean... You are the Empress after all, right?
True, there're lots of delicious things for me at home, but... They're not really my style.
Personally, I'd rather be eating junk food... That's what I call delicious.
W-Wait a second... Empress!?
Hm? What's the matter?

On the other hand, this is the kind of business I can appreciate, exploiting your governmental authority for success.

Hard to believe you could forget, but... So what if you are?
Well, you see... I have a recipe for some sweets I made to kill time.
There it is! Awesome, now I just have to rename it...
Done!
System Message: Obtained the recipe for [The Empress's Sweets]!
E-Empress's Sweets...? Wha-?
Are you sure you're allowed to give it your blessing just like that? Won't someone get mad at you?
Of course they wouldn't. First of all, it's up to me to determine whether or not I approve something.
And, since I wrote this recipe, why shouldn't I give it my seal of approval?
Where, exactly, do you see the problem in this logic?
I-I suppose that makes sense, but... If it's crap, wouldn't it put the Empire's reputation at risk?
Well, if it had the Imperial Seal, I think it would turn "crap" into "unique". Don't you think?
Great... Wonderful.

Also I guess she straight stole the business from that guy? Kind of liking this lady.

Really!? Am I dreaming...?
Owww! Why do you have to pull MY ear!?
Hah hah! I could see the shock on your guys' faces.
Well, someone's in a good mood.
This is wonderful, Nay! I mean, we're still far from a full house, but you have customers!
Heh heh, well, leave something up to me, and I make it happen.
I think this is because you used the Imperial Seal of Approval...
SHHH! Not the Empire!
Hey, come closer, both of you... It's dangerous to say that out loud.
Okay okay, so what's with this whole "Empire" thing?
Hehe, well, after all, I am the Empress. Why can't I use the empire's power?
Yeah, I suppose this has made me realize how powerful the Empress's words are.
Hmm, when you give me back the restaurant, I wonder if it'll still have the Empire's blessing?
Delta... You aren't allowed to use the Empire's power.
If you're a cook, then I suggest you win over customers with your own talents.
Hahaha, didn't think I'd hear that from you...
The power of the Empire is the power of the Empress. In other words, I've succeeded with my own "strength".
Something is definitely wrong here... I know it, but can't put my finger on it.
At any rate, as long as we don't inherit a reputation for making dog food... I suppose that's alright.

Though, it’s always better to steal from people you don’t know if you can help it.

That's the first thing you make us do when we get here?
You're here to help, right? I'm pretty busy at the moment, so I could use a hand.
Oh, fine... Leave this part to me.
Thanks a ton!
Whew, you two are lifesavers...
I see the Empress's powers are still in effect...
It's so-so. Definitely slowing down from the beginning...
But, considering we're not always around, maybe this is just right?
Yeah... I think it'd be impossible for me to run the restaurant on my own if it were full...
Hmm, by the way, how are you two doing? Getting along?
Th-That was really sudden...
Well, you see...
I've been so busy with this restaurant lately, I really haven't gotten the chance to sit down and talk.
I don't think this is a matter of "lately". You never ask us how we're doing.
I think I underestimated the amount of energy it requires to run a store...
So, I want to apologize.
Don't sweat it.
As long as you promise to give it back when all's said and done, that's all I want.
Although, you do seem to be going in circles... A bit.

Oh so this is reminding me of another story from back when I was running that little drug store. So, your parents used to help me out with making new products.

Hmm, I don't know if we really... I mean, I guess we're doing okay?
You aren't fighting or anything? Does Cass get unreasonably jealous, or throw a tantrum or anything?
Well, she wouldn't be Cass without those, would she?
Haha, that's a good point.
So, just to clarify... This would NOT be an unreasonable moment to show my temper, right?
W-We're just kidding!
I mean, sometimes it gets a little annoying when she talks too much, but I don't think we fight.
So, I talk too much now, too?
Shut up! You're always telling me I eat too much meat and not enough veggies. And to wash up before bed...
It's YOUR fault for not having an ounce of common sense!
This is how I've always been... Err, I mean I don't really remember my past, but... I imagine I was?
Now, I'll have to say, that would be a pretty darn good guess.
Hahahaha, I get it now. Just watching you two answered all my questions.
Anyway, I'm glad to see you're getting along. Consider me relieved.

One time we were trying to make some kind of new medicine, really delicate stuff and one of the steps was a bit… explosive if done wrong.

Gah, worst timing possible... I just finished taking all the orders.
I see. Well, then I guess we'll just sit at an open seat somewhere...
Oh, almost forgot, we have a ton of dishes piled up in the kitchen. Delta, could you take care of it?
...Dishes? Man, I really hate dishes...
Whew... Finally done with that.
Good work. I think the customers are just finishing up, too.
...You know, while washing the dishes, I noticed you're getting a few orders for your dog food...
I guess this has finally turned into a hangout for people with no taste.
You know, I was actually wondering about that myself.
I'm recently getting orders for dishes that were never ordered before... Why would that be?
...Strange things can happen, I suppose.
Well, that aside, is Cass still trying to get us some customers?
Yeah, I think she's getting used to it. She doesn't protest anymore.
I see...
Maybe I should tell Cass to split up with you and help me with the store...
Whoa whoa, you know I'd be in trouble if I didn't have Cass's help.
Oooooh, what's that supposed to mean? Now, tell me all the juicy details. Hehehe.
Um, it's quite simple, actually... I won't be able to fight enemies nearly as effectively.
...How exactly are you fighting out there...?
Heh heh, I suggest you don't underestimate the prowess of the mighty Delta!
...I'm joking. Anyway, if I don't have Cass with me, I'm less effective. Okay?
In combat?

So, I got kind of bored while they were working and could tell they’d been getting a bit close at the time so I decided to ask them about it.

When all's said and done, there're quite a few things that need doing, so it's strenuous... Mentally, that is.
Having someone to talk to when I'm stressed out is nice.
Hmm, you mean even YOU get stressed out sometimes?
Don't judge me, I'm delicate.
AHAHAHAHA. Okay, that was pretty funny.
...I think Cass would really love you if you told her what you just told me.
A-Are you crazy!? There's no way I could say what I just said to her face.
Hehehe, you're blushing. Guess I was on the money.
Whoa now... You keep going and you'll wound my oh-so-delicate heart. I might even cry.
But when Cass finds you, she'll be so disappointed. Right?
...I can actually see that happening.
Hehe, I'll keep it a secret from Cass. Don't worry.
Though, it makes me a little jealous. Watching the two of you so friendly with each other.
What are you talking about? You basically know the whole town. It looks like you enjoy every day.
Hmm, I mean, that's partially true...
?
...Nothing.
Heh, lesson of the day: Every woman has a couple secrets tucked away in her heart.
R-Really?
Really. Well, it might be a little too soon for you to understand. Little Delta. Hehe.
Yea yea, I'm a lot younger than you are, right? Rub it in...
But you better not call me an old hag, or I WILL punch you.
Heh, like I'd go that far.

So pretty much opposite reactions, he froze and she dropped what she was doing to yell at me.

Whoa, Cass!?
Welcome back. How'd it go today?
Don't "how'd it go" me!
I'm out there working my butt off, and you two are in here slacking off on the job. How is this fair, exactly?
Wha-!? W-We're not slacking... Not by a long shot.
That's right, Cass. Until just now, we were...
Enough with the excuses! Sheesh, I feel silly marketing and putting myself out there.
Why don't the two of you think of some new events I could use, huh?
...Seems like someone's angry.
Yeah... Although, her logic is sound, so I can't really argue.

But like I said they were making something that was kind of volatile.

The reason no one comes to this place... Just HAS to be because your cooking sucked, Delta!
Says the one who took the restaurant from me...
*Sigh* I'm going to find more customers, so you guys bounce ideas off each other on how to fix this.
Yeah, keep 'em coming. Don't forget to use your sex appeal!
Th-That's not how I'm getting people!
Well, I guess we better get started, too...
Oh, actually, that won't be necessary. I already thought of a new menu.
What? Really?
Yeah... I haven't put it on the menu yet, but I thought of it last time we were talking.
...Did we talk about anything related to a new dish...?
Not directly, but enough to give me an idea.
Anyway, let me show you.
System Message: Obtained the recipe for [Training for Homemaking]!
Items to train for homemaking!? What the heck are you gonna do with this!?
Well, watching the two of you, I thought it would come in handy...
I mean, really, though. How close are you? Don't tell me you've already proposed!?
A-As if! What makes you think I'd be okay with that...!?

So she’s dropped all the ingredients in at once and the drat thing starts boiling over and she’s still red-faced and yelling at me not paying any attention.

N-No, that's not what I meant, but...
Hey! What the heck are you making me say!?
Oh, it's not like you need to feel ashamed about this now. I mean, really...
Everyone around you two can see the chemistry, so why can't you?
Y-You're kidding, right?
...Well, I had a feeling you'd say something stupid like that. Still haven't noticed, huh...?
Heh, for all I know, Cass doesn't even know yet. Oh you two. So dense.
Ahaha, sorry, sorry. I was just having a little fun, that's all.
Regardless of what happens to the two of you, I think this information would be valuable to Cass.
Unless she plans on living alone for the rest of her years, like me... But for some reason I highly doubt that.
Y-Yeah... I think she's pretty popular, after all.
And despite that, she's so loyal to a single person. Oh, that just tickles a man's heart, doesn't it?
...Why are YOU talking about a man's heart...?

So he sees it and goes from zero to charge in an instant, pushing her out of the way and they both end up on the floor.

Heh, if I had to pay for your cooking, I'd just go into the kitchen an make it myself.
Where are all the customers today? Do you want me to go do some marketing?
Oh, don't worry about it... I guess there are days like this one every once in a while, right?
Actually, we've had such a steady stream of customers lately that I forgot what it's like when it's empty.
Too bad you can't say the same when you were running it.
Argh! We don't talk about that!
I wonder if it's because of the new dishes...? I mean, there are a few decent ones now.
Oh, you think so, too? My customers say the same thing when they come here.
Uhh, isn't it a problem if your CUSTOMERS are saying that to you?
And they tell me how much fun it is to draw a new dish from a hat when I make one.
So this game of drawing new dishes has apparently caught on while I haven't been doing much.
Whoa, that does sound like a lot of fun...
R-Really? Wouldn't it be unfortunate if you got one that tasted bad?
Well, even if it sucks, if you're eating it for the sake of a game, it can be fun.
Man, why didn't people play games like that when I had the restaurant...
That's impossible. Everything you served was still edible, after all...
Yeah, no one compared my cooking to dog food, I must say.
Heh heh, oh how the tables have turned. If only you'd made dog food like me, you might've had customers.
drat... I should've studied bad cooking more...
...I have an idea. How about you two try to make something GOOD for a change?

So now she’s even more pissed, and she starts hitting him as he’s trying to get off of her on the ground.

That said, it's pretty tough to think of new dishes when you're losing customers.
I think you need an item that represents everything about your restaurant, you know?
So, for reference... What was that item in your restaurant?
...If I had one, I wouldn't be struggling.
Of course not.
...This is so much work, maybe I should just use the power of the Imperial Seal again.
I don't think you should.
Cass... Why wouldn't you?
I heard rumors from some people while trying to solicit...
That the Imperial sweets served here weren't always good...
Despite that, the Empire still approved them, which can only mean... Their critic doesn't have good taste.
Wha-!?
Ahahahaha, those guys are pretty sharp.
This is no laughing matter! My reputation is on the verge of imploding!
Yeah, and whose fault was that?
Regardless, that's what people are saying. I would suggest we don't use the Empire's name.
...H-Heh, that's no big deal.
It would be strange if the Empire keeps on approving strange menus...
I think it's time to fight back with a "home cooked" meal.

Now she’s chasing him around the room hitting him with things and I go check on the medicine and fortunately it’s not about to blow up or anything.

She's got a point... OR, you could... Hmm.
That reminds me. You remember the restaurant you went to for dinner the other day?
You mean the one nearby the inn we stayed at?
Yeah, that one!
That restaurant had a mascot, you remember?
Don't you think we'd get a lot more customers if we had an original character like that one?
Original character...!?
Hmm, well, I suppose some people might take a liking to it, but...
But, I think it'll be even harder to make a solid character than cooking a decent meal.
What about Nyuroki? That thing's pretty popular, right?
...We'd have to deal with copyright and licensing issues. I don't think we have the time...
Hmm, Nyuroki, huh? I do know it's pretty popular, but...
But I'm not sure how I feel about using Nyuroki to win customers.
I mean, it's like cheating, don't you think?
This coming from the same person who used the Imperial Seal on some lame sweets.
Yeah, it would have been cool if you just came out and said it...

But she’s still not paying attention to your things and has never really been steady on her feet, so she slips on the black crap on the ground and bam, right on her rear.

Why do I sense cheapness ahead?
Well, I'm not cheating anyone here, am I? If the country has more money, everyone wins.
Are you sure your recipe is that good, though?
Heh heh, why don't you take a look and see for yourself?
System Message: Obtained the recipe for [Imperial Characters]!
I thought we told you many times not to use the Imperial Seal... Did you forget already?
But that was in regards to cooking, right? It shouldn't matter if I'm making a character.
You're SURE this character looks good...? The citizens could lose the trust they had in the Empire...
Don't sweat it. I spent all night looking up characters people thought were cute.
At the very least, I can guarantee a character that's so cute, women and children fall in love with it.
...What do you think, Cass?
We'll just have to hope she has a better sense of design than culinary arts.

She finally stops to look around and realizes what was going on and then her face gets even MORE red. At which point I took pictures.

Huh... Was it actually crowded recently?
...I wish you were here about an hour ago.
Perhaps you should seriously consider hiring a part-timer.
It seems like you have a somewhat steady income... Surely you can afford one more person.
Well, I mean, I do have a little bit of cash, but... It just seems like such a waste.
The money to hire help?
No, to lessen my own workload.
If I hire help, then I'll be inside the kitchen all day, cooking. Right?
I mean, if you don't cook, who else will?
But, if I do that, I won't be able to see all the people who come into my restaurant.
That said, it's becoming more and more difficult to handle customers and cooking, right?
No, I think I'm managing right now... Somehow.
And almost everyone knows me already, so they don't really complain if the food is a little slow.
Besides, a lot of customers come to talk to me, you know?
That's right, you were actually popular... I forgot about that.

And that’s just one of many reasons she’s off doing some errands for me right now.

I'm not sure what to make of the fact that you're calling yourself popular...
But, we'll take your word that certain customers come to see you.
And I think a lot of people come here for punishment? Even today, I had three orders for the "worst item".
...Heh, if you tried something like that in a normal store, it wouldn't be rude to punch the customer, I think.
My point is, we've been keeping pretty busy here...
But, I need to start building my reputation as a "good" restaurant.
If you've got regulars already, why change anything?
W-Well, I suppose it's pretty fun the way things are, but...
But, if I hand over the store to you in its current state, wouldn't that be really bad for you?
Sh-She has a point... Once Nay's gone, I think the only thing this store will have is a tainted reputation.
Heh, so you actually intend to give it back to me, huh?
Please, don't take me for a petty thief.
Your personality certainly makes you seem like one, though.
We're gonna turn this baby into a first-class chic restaurant by the time you come back, alright?
...Hey. Can I count on that?
It would be nice... But probably not a good idea.

Looks like that’s it for story time. I need to go check on some things, as far as anyone knows I’m still here. Don’t do anything I wouldn’t!

Next Time, Ar Nosurge: CLASS::CIEL_NOSURGE;

Feinne fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 25, 2015

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom

Feinne posted:

Yeah, keep 'em coming. Don't forget to use your sex appeal!
Th-That's now how I'm getting people!

typo here

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Ironically that must be in the actual game script, given I'm using Admiral Curtiss' text rip for these side content updates.

Update tomorrow most likely, very tired today.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Apr 25, 2015

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
So, we're, like, two for two now on "Civilizations that discovered the Power of Song and also blew up their planet"? EXA_PICO may be the one universe where being a Luddite has history on your side.

I'd've imagined our Narrator being rather annoyed at the idea of a single Master Control song for the entirety of the ship's mechanical security forces. EXEC_DESPEDIA had serial numbers attached to it to prevent exactly the kind of abuse that CIEL_N_PROTECTA got.

CIEL_N_PROTECTA's lyrics are straightforward yet powerful. I like to listen to it at work.

code:
QuelI->{
		EXiV[zep]->{tikz ethes & walm dia}
}->Exec->[TzW];
	Oh God of Myriads, oh Lord of the Wings! Descend!
QuelI->EXiv[obe]->{ethes}->ExeC->{TzW};
	Obey God!
QuelI->EXiv[liz]->{hymel f ethes}->ExeC->{TzW};
	Listen to the voice of God!
QuelI->EX[sep]->ExeC->{TzW};
	Stop.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Lunar Suite posted:

So, we're, like, two for two now on "Civilizations that discovered the Power of Song and also blew up their planet"? EXA_PICO may be the one universe where being a Luddite has history on your side.

I'd've imagined our Narrator being rather annoyed at the idea of a single Master Control song for the entirety of the ship's mechanical security forces. EXEC_DESPEDIA had serial numbers attached to it to prevent exactly the kind of abuse that CIEL_N_PROTECTA got.

CIEL_N_PROTECTA's lyrics are straightforward yet powerful. I like to listen to it at work.

code:
QuelI->{
		EXiV[zep]->{tikz ethes & walm dia}
}->Exec->[TzW];
	Oh God of Myriads, oh Lord of the Wings! Descend!
QuelI->EXiv[obe]->{ethes}->ExeC->{TzW};
	Obey God!
QuelI->EXiv[liz]->{hymel f ethes}->ExeC->{TzW};
	Listen to the voice of God!
QuelI->EX[sep]->ExeC->{TzW};
	Stop.

It's surprisingly catchy. What I don't get is how "{TzW};" is apparently pronounced "pata".

AstraSage
May 13, 2013

It's surprisingly catchy. What I don't get is how "{TzW};" is apparently pronounced "pata".

It's because the "->" in the Query closure is also pronounced, making it sound like "Exec (->)pas ({TzW})Tu ".

Then there's also the REON Chorus.

code:
QuelI->EXiV[obe]->ExeC->{TzW};

QuelI->EXiV[sep]->ExeC->{TzW};

QuelI->EXiV[obe]->ExeC->{TzW};

QuelI->EXiV[sep]->EX[obe]->ExeC->{TzW};
Which It's a straightforward "Through the Energy-ruling Waves, I [The Singer] command You [ Machines] to {Obey | Stop | Obey | Stop and then Obey}", and it shows a nice wind-up effect as Cass has to assert her will over Zill's.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Lunar Suite posted:

To be fair here, Ra Ciela was going to blow up anyway, and they at least got something out of it this way.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Ugh, what a pain. She can go threaten her own debtors next time. Oh, um, hey. Story time, right? They’d just defeated Zill, who ran off ranting about something called CIEL_NOSURGE. Then Sarly sent them to find her at a place called the Flask Sea.

Feinne’s Notes:
There’s a Song in the background of this first section, the same one as the opening story. I still won’t link it because it comes up much, much later in the story.

Hey, wait, Prim. You really can’t come this time. Go back to Felion.
What? I don’t want to. Prim decided she would fight with Daddy and Mommy against the bad Sharl!
I said no! Go and stay at Nay’s place back in Felion, okay?
What?! No! Prim can fight too!
No means NO!
NONONONONONONONONO!!

Prim is going with you!
Prim…this place is dangerous. It’s swarming with Sharl…
I’ll be fine! Everything was fine last time!
…Hey, maybe it would be okay for her to come along.
What!?
Well, think about it. She saved us when the Church got us. Without Prim, we’d have been in real trouble.
Delta…
It’s fine. I’ll protect everyone.
…Ugh. Well, don’t come crying ot me when something happens.

The Flask Sea, as it turned out, was a rather terrible place.

I wonder what they’re raising?
And this song…
It’s a very strange song. It feels kinda nostalgic.
You were just born, and you’re already getting nostalgic?
I said kinda!
I think I understand. It almost feels like it’s swirling around inside my head.
…What does that mean?
I don’t really know…
…Let’s keep going a bit further. Stay alert.

Indeed, it was the source of most of their problems.

Is that a Sharl!?
Are Sharl being created here?
So much for being messengers of God. What kind of God is created by human hands?
The Sharl created here bring humans to this place, right?
But why would they do that?
I don’t know…
We’ll just have to ask Sarly later…
…Prim?
I think we’re getting closer to the song.

Feinne’s Notes:
There are some really annoying enemies here that look like buggies, if you hit them too many times they automatically end your Turn. Try to only hit them with powered up Break attacks to avoid this.

The found Zill exactly where Sarly expected her to be.

Video- “CIEL_NOSURGE”

Watch

Look!
Zill!
ah-ne hyen, won-re nye-ri-iz;
soh-ne yei-syei yei-fao ar-de, ih-cyen=yu tey-re wei-ih-I;
soh-nh ih-cyen=fii-ne aa-pon-re yei-I, aa-tes-iz;
nyei-nyei ah-ih-nay; ahih;

MUSIC- “Class::CIEL_NOSURGE”

Listen

They were not in time to stop CIEL_NOSURGE.

Nor were they anywhere near where it was being sung.

It seemed for the moment that Zill’s plan was going to succeed, whatever it was.

What did you do!?
Were you watching?
It’s really quite spectacular.
What’s this light?!
I suppose you could say it’s the dawn of a new world.
The lives you snuffed out will now be reborn.
Wh-What?!
So bright!
???: Foolish humans. You shall atone for the sins of your kind.
What does that mean…?
The lives we…snuffed out.

It seemed she hoped to revive the Genom, who had been destroyed along with Ra Ciela.

He he.
Humans banished Cosal, the Lord of the Genom, and denied the Will of our planet.
Desperate to survive, we destroyed all life other than our own. Even of the planet that had loved us.
Conflict, theft, hatred… This is all humans are capable of.
There is no value in our continued existence.
What are you talking about?

We of the Genomirai Church, have always preached this doctrine to our fellow humans.
To accept one’s foolishness, to desire the growth of the soul, and to offer that soul to purify our world.
No! You don’t get to decide what’s right and what’s wrong!
You are correct. Only God can judge us…
Come forth, Cosal, and all who share His will!
What?!

The light grew almost blinding…

…And swarms of Sharl appeared.

A-Aaaah…
Stop! Don’t come any closer!

Feinne’s Notes:
We fight a set of Sharl here, they’re pretty easy compared to Zill.

They put up a brave fight. It was not enough.

This…this is…
These are the seeds which you have sown.
There were humans who offered themselves in obedience.
Their honor has been besmirched by rotten souls such as yours.
Mommy! Daddy!
Prim! Cass!
But now, we can begin the sublimation of the world itself!
poo poo! Let me go! Let me GO!
You shall form the foundation of our new planet’s womb.
The creation of a new, perfect world is upon us!

Back in Quanturv, Sarly’s friend warned her that things had gone terribly wrong.

Doctor? What’s wrong? What happened?
Doctor Leolm: CIEL_NOSURGE has been activated. A tremendous number of Sharl are being created at the Placenta.
What?! Dammit…!
Doctor Leolm: Your location here is too vulnerable. You must return to Felion, and…
I can’t do that! Delta and Cass are out there fighting. I can’t just run away!
Doctor Leolm: If you are captured, no one will be able to stop CIEL_NOSURGE. If that happens, then it really will be over.
And…I am worried about you.
If you really care about me, you’ll help me help Delta and Cass…
And stop CIEL_NOSURGE!
Doctor Leolm: …You are awfully stubborn. Very well. I can see arguing with you would be pointless.
Good. Now, I need to think of a plan. Can you help me?
Doctor Leolm: Of course. If you intend to remain here, we must resolve this crisis as quickly as possible.

The doctor also had a very important piece of information for her.

What?! Then why didn’t you say anything?!
Doctor Leolm: …If I had mentioned it out of nowhere, you would have been too surprised.
Well, I’m still pretty surprised. Just spill it, we don’t have much time.
Doctor Leolm: …Ionasal.
…What?
Doctor Leolm: Ionasal kkll Preciel.
No, no, that’s not… You’re kidding, right? Ionasal is…she’s gone.
Doctor Leolm: No, I’m quite sure.
She has been made into Zill’s puppet. To stop the stream of Sharl, we must awaken her.
And we must discern how to do so soon. Do you understand?
Y-Yeah, I get it, just… How did you find that out?
Doctor Leolm: …You promised you wouldn’t ask me any questions like that.
I know, but you have to understand where I’m coming from. We both know I couldn’t have ever found that out.
…Anyway, I appreciate that you did find it. I swear I’ll repay you some day.
Doctor Leolm: Then first you must stop CIEL_NOSURGE and survive this crisis.
Yes, right. Okay then, let’s get to work.
Delta… Cass… Just hold on a little longer…!

Any rescue would prove quite difficult, though, as Delta and Cass had been cast into the Flask Sea.

I can hear the budding of Sharanohiar.
The time for humans to repent has come at last. They shall all be guided to this sea of atonement.

And that’s when things started to get strange. But, I’ll tell you about that next time…

Next Time, Ar Nosurge: The Lighthouse Keeper and the Avatar

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Here is where the game actually gets good, in my opinion.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Delta's repeated talk about how he'll be the one to protect these poor vulnerable women is really starting to grate on my nerves.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

FractalSandwich posted:

Delta's repeated talk about how he'll be the one to protect these poor vulnerable women is really starting to grate on my nerves.

I don't know, I kind of have to forgive him for it because, as he noted earlier, trying to keep Cass safe is pretty much the only thing he's got left in his life.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Feinne posted:

Doctor Leolm: No, I’m quite sure.
She has been made into Zill’s puppet. To stop the stream of Sharl, we must awaken her.
And we must discern how to do so soon. Do you understand?

What I'm taking from this is, the Ciel Nosurge framing story (where the player finds Ion and helps her piece back her memories) is happening/ending right now.
I'm guessing Earthes is how they're going to call Ciel Nosurge's player.

Feinne posted:

I don't know, I kind of have to forgive him for it because, as he noted earlier, trying to keep Cass safe is pretty much the only thing he's got left in his life.

Magic singers tend to be the most fragile glass cannons in the Tonelico games. If nothing else, a competent meatshield is something they'll always need.
Unless they're Cocona, and even then I'm still pissed at Qoga we didn't get switchable vanguard/Reyvateil Cocona.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 26, 2015

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Oh geez, not MORE "all humans are bastards and should die" bullshit. It's such a worn-out, dead cliche by this point. Especially for this series. I don't give a gnat's turd what the actual grievance is, going there is low-hanging fruit and completely uninteresting.

The CIEL_NOSURGE song isn't the kind of song I like.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Yeah CIEL_NOSURGE is kind of just okay for me, especially in comparison with the rest of the tracks in this.

It should be noted that Zill is a huge sack of poo poo and nothing she says should ever be trusted.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

It doesn't help that the villain who uses/believes in it are often huge bastards too.

Omobono posted:

Magic singers tend to be the most fragile glass cannons in the Tonelico games. If nothing else, a competent meatshield is something they'll always need.
Unless they're Cocona, and even then I'm still pissed at Qoga we didn't get switchable vanguard/Reyvateil Cocona.

Well, the singers in the Surge Concerto-verse don't seem nearly as vulnerable, though having it as their combat focus does leave them in a similar position.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

Omobono posted:

What I'm taking from this is, the Ciel Nosurge framing story (where the player finds Ion and helps her piece back her memories) is happening/ending right now.

Pretty much, indeed Ciel_Nosurge plays during the ending/credits of that game.

Anyway, if you had any intentions of looking at that previously linked summary of Ciel Nosurge, but haven't gotten around to it, now is the time.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

mikemil828 posted:

Pretty much, indeed Ciel_Nosurge plays during the ending/credits of that game.

Anyway, if you had any intentions of looking at that previously linked summary of Ciel Nosurge, but haven't gotten around to it, now is the time.

Done already. I'm really, really hoping that Zill doesn't get a feeel-good "redemption" and/or gets away from all her poo poo with a minor slap on the wrist. Half from what she pulled in Ciel, half because

Oh geez, not MORE "all humans are bastards and should die" bullshit. It's such a worn-out, dead cliche by this point. Especially for this series. I don't give a gnat's turd what the actual grievance is, going there is low-hanging fruit and completely uninteresting.

On the other hand, I hope Earthes ends up being Ciel's player and he gets pulled here by the Ciel_Nosurge song. It'd be delicious irony for Zill to shoot herself in the foot so thoroughly.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Argas posted:

It doesn't help that the villain who uses/believes in it are often huge bastards too.

I'm pretty sure she doesn't actually believe it, she's just a jerk.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Feinne, do you have higher-quality official art of the major characters we've met so far? I have an idea for a contribution to the thread, and I need head shots.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Feinne, do you have higher-quality official art of the major characters we've met so far? I have an idea for a contribution to the thread, and I need head shots.

I've got rips of the game art that's in the Extras, just post who all you want.

EDIT: I brought up a collected image thing but it honestly would really negatively impact the game to see it so I won't even offer it.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Apr 27, 2015

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Feinne posted:

I've got rips of the game art that's in the Extras, just post who all you want.

EDIT: I brought up a collected image thing but it honestly would really negatively impact the game to see it so I won't even offer it.

Ummm... only really the characters we've met, I guess. I think that's just Delta, Cass, Nay, Sarly, Zill, and Prim who we've met. (I don't now enough about anyone else to make them insulting custom titles.)

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Ummm... only really the characters we've met, I guess. I think that's just Delta, Cass, Nay, Sarly, Zill, and Prim who we've met. (I don't now enough about anyone else to make them insulting custom titles.)

Easy to do:

DELTA or

CASS or

NAY or

SARLY or

ZILL or

PRIM or

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Feinne posted:

Well, it it's not like it matters anyway, because now he's dead and we're switching to a completely different protagonist forever and we'll never see him again.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

FractalSandwich posted:

Well, it it's not like it matters anyway, because now he's dead and we're switching to a completely different protagonist forever and we'll never see him again.

:negative:

N-No...

Delta...

Delta owns...

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

life_source posted:

:negative:

N-No...

Delta...

Delta owns...

Delta and Cass will return in... Sharlfinger.

Anyway update today, where we'll see the start of our next section.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Feinne posted:

Delta and Cass will return in... Sharlfinger.
If I had a decent grasp of songwriting, I'd make a parody song right now.

• Locked thread