Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Dallan Invictus posted:

The potential grooms list from the character screen "marry" button is filtered by some obscure requirements nobody is quite sure of. If both the bride and groom are in your court just marry them using the diplomacy menu.

How strange. Guess I'll do this, then. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
There really needs to be a way to get claimants into your court if you are good at pushing claims. It's annoying not being able to get any claimant for a county/duchy/kingdom into your court if you are always pressing claims.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

monster on a stick posted:

There really needs to be a way to get claimants into your court if you are good at pushing claims. It's annoying not being able to get any claimant for a county/duchy/kingdom into your court if you are always pressing claims.

Sometimes in the consideration for accepting an invite to court, those dudes will have "So-and-so has the power to press my claim: +++++" or whatever but it's inconsistent at best.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
ffffucckkkk

Why can my liege demand the revocation of titles below mine? Has this always been a thing? Man, I guess trying to eat the Empire from the inside wasn't quite as clever as I thought.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I think a very important functionality I want to see when CK3 finally comes along is more interactive options with characters--specifically, you should be able to send a letter to someone at a foreign court saying "Yo, I've heard you're pretty awesome, if you come to my court I'll make you Steward", possibly with a small "gift," and have there be a good chance they'll accept even if they think their current liege is kinda OK (but not if they totally love him, perhaps.) Likewise if you have someone sitting around with 17 Stewardship not doing anything, someone else will probably lure them away in a similar fashion.

Lag time when communicating with very faraway people should probably be lengthened and made more graduated, though, rather than a flat "no communication is allowed at all beyond X miles away but at X-1 you can communicate in a week."

Likewise it's REALLY retarded that, for instance, you can have a kinsman in the next kingdom over not doing anything but there's no way to give him a landed title because he's in someone else's court and his opinion of his liege is like 21 so he won't accept an invite no matter what. The option to tell him "Hey, come over to my court, I want to make you a duke" is sorely needed. And so on.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Deceitful Penguin posted:

ffffucckkkk

Why can my liege demand the revocation of titles below mine? Has this always been a thing? Man, I guess trying to eat the Empire from the inside wasn't quite as clever as I thought.

The option to "Retract Vassalage" is probably what he's using. It's a useful tool to prevent vassals from becoming too powerful. However, unless your liege has Imperial Administration he is suffering an opinion penalty with everyone else in the realm (-20 every time he does it). You can take advantage of that.

Deific Presence
May 7, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

Likewise it's REALLY retarded that, for instance, you can have a kinsman in the next kingdom over not doing anything but there's no way to give him a landed title because he's in someone else's court and his opinion of his liege is like 21 so he won't accept an invite no matter what. The option to tell him "Hey, come over to my court, I want to make you a duke" is sorely needed. And so on.

I had a kinsman that had ended up captured in a war with my neighbor as a child, then when he was of-age had been released and refused to come to court. He was a genius midas touched content honest and just, too. Would have been a perfect vassal.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Deific Presence posted:

I had a kinsman that had ended up captured in a war with my neighbor as a child, then when he was of-age had been released and refused to come to court. He was a genius midas touched content honest and just, too. Would have been a perfect vassal.

Yeah, but Content means they'll never accept an invite to your court because Content automatically means they love their liege, unless said liege hosed their wife.

That's probably as it should be though, honestly, as that's kinda the entire point of the Content trait--this is a person who's just fine sitting around being fed grapes and whatever and is not inclined to get off their rear end and go somewhere else to pursue more money and more power.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I married my lesbian heir to a gay courtier from West Francia and now my heir has three kids already :D

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Guildencrantz posted:

Jesus descends from the heavens and tells you to knock it off.

Maybe if I were to also vassilize the Nestorian and Coptic popes I could make all my popes tell Jesus to take a chill pill.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
So, I've just started playing CK2 after a long break. When did Crisis of the Confederation come out? :psyduck:

Passenger Of Shit
Apr 21, 2015

Nckdictator posted:

So, I've just started playing CK2 after a long break. When did Crisis of the Confederation come out? :psyduck:

I don't know but I saw it last night and it looks pretty neat.

Anyone have a trip report?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Doltos posted:

I married my lesbian heir to a gay courtier from West Francia and now my heir has three kids already :D

Maybe they agreed to adopt.

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008

hypnorotic posted:

I have a question about empires. If I created the Kingdom of Essex via decision, then managed to get the Kingdoms of Ireland/Scotland/Wales, would I be able to create the Empire of Brittania, or would I still need to create the Kingdom of England to meet the requirements to make the Empire title?

The titles don't really matter for creating the empire, what you need is 80% of the de jure counties of Brittania and any two kingdom titles, they don't even need to be ones from the isles.

Whatever duchies you completely control will become de jure part of the Kingdom of Essex, if you control all of England when you do this England will cease to be a de jure kingdom (it can still be created as a titular title though).

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I've heard of this glitch, but I've never gotten it before. I holy warred the Byzantines to get Sicily and take out the republic of Amalfi all at once, but 2 of the Amalfi families hung around and joined into my republic somehow.

Any ideas? I don't mind having 7 families, but those Ravelli bastards are right in my way. I'm going with "if it's a problem, you can stab it" right now, but who knows who will inherit the trade posts from Ravelli when Ravelli goes extinct. The good news is that the original 4 rival families all held Catholic when I converted to Germanic, and the 2 Amalfi families are Orthodox obviously. Makes for high plot power when those are my only non-Germanic vassals.

I'd like to take over some more of the trade in eastern Italy, but I don't think I can maintain a connected to capital bonus through the Ravelli trade zone, so I'd like it if they just disappeared like they are supposed to. It's not a huge deal because I have plenty of room to expand into Spain and Africa, but pretty borders.

Also, that ruler is 24. :vince:

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Volkerball posted:

Any ideas? I don't mind having 7 families, but those Ravelli bastards are right in my way. I'm going with "if it's a problem, you can stab it" right now, but who knows who will inherit the trade posts from Ravelli when Ravelli goes extinct. The good news is that the original 4 rival families all held Catholic when I converted to Germanic, and the 2 Amalfi families are Orthodox obviously. Makes for high plot power when those are my only non-Germanic vassals.

Like most problems in CK2, this one can be dealt with by stabbing.

Kill off patrician families and they won't spawn a replacement unless they're below the cap.

The Ravelli trade posts will be shared amongst the other patrician families, so you won't have to rebuild everything.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I always played "boring" feudal lords in 1066, but now it's time to start a new game with some kind of twist to it.

What's a recommended, easy non-classic start? Thinking about being either a Republic, or a Viking. I have both Charlemagne and Old Gods start dates to choose from, and pretty much every non cosmetic DLC so I have analysis paralisys right now...

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

TorakFade posted:

I always played "boring" feudal lords in 1066, but now it's time to start a new game with some kind of twist to it.

If you've never done a tribal invasion run, you totally should.
The Khazars are the big tribal player in the Charlemagne start, but they don't get any special event troops.
The Magyars in the Old Gods start used to be the favourite for a lot of world conquest runs, since they get a lot of event troops and start with the right Culture and Religion to have the Tribal Invasion CB.
The Mongols are a cathartic start for anyone who's had to deal with fabricating claims, as you start with a lot of event troops. The fun part is if you go to India first and convert to Jain, which will give you a lot of stability, and you won't lose the Tribal Invasion CB.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

TorakFade posted:

Thinking about being either a Republic, or a Viking.

You could always do both.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Passenger Of poo poo posted:

I don't know but I saw it last night and it looks pretty neat.

Anyone have a trip report?

I'll play it later today, I'm a sucker for scifi poo poo.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Vikings own, I was like you and only played Feudal for a long time but tried vikings recently and it is fun as hell. You can raid for tons of money and you can sail from the baltic to the med through eastern europe. I converted to Catholicism and went feudal and held on to my stuff while surrounded by pagans. If you like war its a good route to go, alternatively you could reform the faith.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

This is the first game I've played in ages where the Islamic world isn't a massive unified blob.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Darth Windu posted:

Vikings own, I was like you and only played Feudal for a long time but tried vikings recently and it is fun as hell. You can raid for tons of money and you can sail from the baltic to the med through eastern europe. I converted to Catholicism and went feudal and held on to my stuff while surrounded by pagans. If you like war its a good route to go, alternatively you could reform the faith.

Also it's fun kidnapping daughters of nobles, making them your concubine, then pressing the resulting offspring's claims.

Techno Remix
Feb 13, 2012

I have a very dumb question. I can't seem to fully grasp the concept of marrying for claims effectively. Anyone who has a strong claim is usually right out (that much I know) but even third or fourth in lines are pretty reluctant to come to court. Am I massively overthinking it or is it just as simple as finding those weak claimants, greasing their palms, and murdering their elders one by one?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Well, this should be interesting later. Byzantines are in an Iconoclast period right now, but I kinda hope some of that Sunni sticks. What's the weight on the Pope declaring a crusade for Greece?

Speaking of the Byzantines, I think for my next game I'll stop faffing about in Britain and Scandinavia and go on a Mediterranean holiday. Anything in particular I should know about running the Byz?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Moridin920 posted:

Also it's fun kidnapping daughters of nobles, making them your concubine, then pressing the resulting offspring's claims.

Yeah then Vikings it is. Who's the best starting character in Old Gods?

radlum
May 13, 2013
I just downloaded the most recent version of the GoT mod and for some reason, the menus are screwed. I have to point the mouse slightly to the right and below of the actual menu option to select it, I can't play the game at all. The thing is, the regular game works just fine, anyone else has this problem?

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dareon posted:

Well, this should be interesting later. Byzantines are in an Iconoclast period right now, but I kinda hope some of that Sunni sticks. What's the weight on the Pope declaring a crusade for Greece?

Extremely high. Probably way higher than it should be, since it means the Pope declares a day 1 crusade on Rum in the Alexiad start, instead of, say Jerusalem like the real 1st Crusade :v:. Every time.

(I otherwise really like the Alexiad start.)

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
In my merchant Scandinavia run I called a great holy war for Greece, won it, and then my 82 year old character died in a battle against some idiot religious revolt. My heir was not in line to inherit the republic, so the AI took over and Greece immediately revolted on him.

There is now an independent Germanic Greece. My AI liege is just losing poo poo left right and centre and I don't want to stop it because it is funny as gently caress. He somehow managed to lose Wales, as well as seemingly random provinces in Italy despite the fact that I was the one who was holding Italy at the time. I kinda just wanna go into observe mode and see what happens over the next 400 years now.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

A little known trick related to this. If you force them to be your concubine, they end up in your court. You can then immediately set them aside, and marry/betroth them to a son/uncle/cousin, gaining an alliance.

They'll hate you for awhile (combo forced concubine + set aside concubine), but it can be worth it in the right circumstances.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Any way to get rid of Kinslayer as an Orthodox character? I got rid of it before but that was a random event involving the Pope. Is it really so wrong for me to imprison and execute my cousin who was preparing an adventure?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Any way to get rid of Kinslayer as an Orthodox character? I got rid of it before but that was a random event involving the Pope. Is it really so wrong for me to imprison and execute my cousin who was preparing an adventure?

Why execute him? Just leave him in there until he dies. He can't do anything, he gets a health penalty, and literally no one cares.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Dareon posted:

Pretty high. Taking Greece will unlock Crusades even in Old Gods start.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

cock hero flux posted:

Why execute him? Just leave him in there until he dies. He can't do anything, he gets a health penalty, and literally no one cares.

The adventurer warning was still there after I imprisoned him. So I thought an army might still show up.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Dareon posted:

Anything in particular I should know about running the Byz?

Byzantium is functionally the opposite of the rest of feudal Europe. Since you start with all of the legalism traditions of Rome (Imperial Admin/Duchy Viceroyalties/Medium CA), you don't have to deal with most of the bullshit of feudal vassals (Strategos will still factionalize and revolt, however). The main challenge of a Byzantine start is combating the powerful Arabian Caliphates that usually lust for your blood lands.

Start in 769 for the best advantages as the Byzantines, since then you have the highest tech levels on the map as well as only being rivaled in strength by the Abbasids.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SeaTard posted:

A little known trick related to this. If you force them to be your concubine, they end up in your court. You can then immediately set them aside, and marry/betroth them to a son/uncle/cousin, gaining an alliance.

They'll hate you for awhile (combo forced concubine + set aside concubine), but it can be worth it in the right circumstances.

If you have the gold to spare you can send them a gift and demand religious conversion while they're your concubine and you won't get as big of a relations hit in the end I think.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

TorakFade posted:

Any of Ragnar Lothbrok's sons (Ivar the Boneless, Halfdan Whiteshirt, Bjron Ironside, Sigurd Snake-In-The-Eye, and I think Ubba's landed somewhere) are workable once you sort out the England situation.

Though the go-to "Germanic shenanigans" choice is Haestinn, count of Nantes. You can solidify Brittany real early and then do some crazy island-hopping poo poo.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

The adventurer warning was still there after I imprisoned him. So I thought an army might still show up.

I'm pretty sure this happened to be before and the army DID show up, right in my capital, but since I had him imprisoned warscore instantly went to 100%.

That was back before fighting a battle was a requirement for 100% warscore and the whole thing might have been changed besides.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

SeaTard posted:

And people will honor these alliances?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

TorakFade posted:

Haesteinn of Nantes is a good one if you just want to raid and conquer as you please without worrying about much else. Very flexible, starts with top-class martial education and event troops, plus a shattered duchy to take. Just don't poke the Karlinghive. The Sons of Lothbrok (Halfdan of Jorvik, Ivar the Boneless of Suthreyar, and Sigurthr Snake-in-the-Eye of Denmark, with additional appearances by Bjorn Ironside somewhere in Scandinavia) start out in the middle of conquering parts of Britain, so you can finish that then do the Ireland thing without waiting for ages for your chancellor to do a thing.

• Locked thread