Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Has anyone had issues with screen burn-in on an iPhone 6? My phone has all sorts of burn in and I'm wondering if this is something that's covered under warranty or will it eat up one of my AppleCare+ replacements.

That would be a factory issue usually and they should replace it free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

terre packet posted:

I miss Apple's dock. What's the closest equivalent for the iPhone 6+? I literally want just power and line out.

I have this and love it

http://hengedocks.com/products/gravitas

It's heavy as hell though. Could be a pro or a con. Pro is that it lets you use one hand to remove the phone, con is that it could break the toddler's back upon which you rest of your dock.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Has anyone had issues with screen burn-in on an iPhone 6? My phone has all sorts of burn in and I'm wondering if this is something that's covered under warranty or will it eat up one of my AppleCare+ replacements.

I don't even have AppleCare+ and they replaced the screen on my 6 free of charge for dust, an arguably much less serious issue. You'll probably be fine.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
AppleCare+ is usually only needed for things like water damage and you loving it up on your own. Outside of that, Apple will bend over backwards to please you.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Seriously. I've never had an issue when it's something I didnt do.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Biodome posted:

Just got a new head unit with CarPlay capability and it's pretty great. Siri is really good at figuring out what I'm saying quickly, the maps integration is awesome, and sending and receiving texts is a breeze. I can't wait for other apps to come out for it.
Tell me more about CarPlay. I'm considering getting a head unit with it. The one you got looks nice, but I'll probably just go for the bottom-end App Radio since it seems to have everything I really need.

On screen replacements: Yeah, Apple will do it on the standard warranty. They replaced my screen because it had a small light spot that was barely noticeable.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

Tell me more about CarPlay. I'm considering getting a head unit with it. The one you got looks nice, but I'll probably just go for the bottom-end App Radio since it seems to have everything I really need.

Seriously look into what exists in the android head unit world for your car. I have a Mazda3 and have an android head unit that looks really great (has hard buttons so it looks OEM and not just a tablet cut into my dash). Running full android has a ton of benefits, I just tether my iPhone to the unit and basically the only thing I don't have access to is my iMessages.

infinite99
Aug 9, 2006

ANY OF YALLS DICKS HARD??

The Dave posted:

Seriously look into what exists in the android head unit world for your car. I have a Mazda3 and have an android head unit that looks really great (has hard buttons so it looks OEM and not just a tablet cut into my dash). Running full android has a ton of benefits, I just tether my iPhone to the unit and basically the only thing I don't have access to is my iMessages.

Do you have a link to the one you have? How's the sound quality? I've done a little research and that seems to be a problem with most of the Chinese ones available on eBay.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The Dave posted:

Dumb question but is there a good source/site to look up more info on this?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

This is what I have:
http://www.eonon.com/Car-GPS/Specific-Car-GPS/GA5163.html

I actually hosed up the soldering (Which I only had to do because my car has an amp) so I need to fix that before getting full sound quality feedback. Radio definitely seems a little worse but I'm starting to read that you can get FM boosters that make it a little more crisp.

Regardless I no longer want to live in a world where waze isn't on my dash for long trips.

EDIT: This thread has been the Mecca of information on these units: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2660662

Unfortunately it's incredibly long and the mods there don't think the topic needs it's own forum even though it totally does. But the first post provides a lot of information on what the units are and how they work.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Oh I should say though one big downside is there's a 30 second boot up time, and I think that you need to be okay with tinkering with poo poo to be okay with these units. I flashed a new rom on it and messed around with settings before getting it to where I wanted it to be. I also never used it in hot temperatures yet so I don't know how real of a problem overheating will be in the summer.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

There's a certain value in not having to computer janitor your stereo and then still have it not fully support the car interface your phones manufacturer offers. Even still CarPlay head units seem so overpriced that I don't know of that value bridges the gap between that head unit and a CarPlay one.

CarPlay/Android Auto will probably start getting really cool in a few years when these things are integrated into lots of new cars and they can feed car data into the apps. Some article I saw mentioned Waze in the future might be able to sense you slowing down and putting your windshield wipers on, and use that to crowdsource the knowledge that there's a new storm that broke out.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

As soon as you started talking about flashing ROMs, I'm out. I've got better things to do with my time than janitor my car stereo. I just want something that I can turn on and it works, which is why I'm only even considering it, since the stock Bluetooth works perfectly.

The nice thing is my car will take any double DIN head unit, so I can shove pretty much anything in there.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Flashing the rom / janitor / tweaking amounted to about 15-30 minutes of a total sum time. I think it's worth it to have functionality of my head until that doesn't exist with any other software configurations.

If loading a file on a SD card one time scares you (which is all flashing does), I personally find you to be a silly person.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

So is CarPlay only available on new cars or can you buy a stereo that's capable and install it in an older car? I'd love something like that for my Prelude.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

There are third party head units with carplay.

infinite99
Aug 9, 2006

ANY OF YALLS DICKS HARD??

IllegallySober posted:

So is CarPlay only available on new cars or can you buy a stereo that's capable and install it in an older car? I'd love something like that for my Prelude.

Most newer Pioneer decks have CarPlay now. There's one from them that specifically had it. The SPH-DA120. They also updated the firmware on their higher end models to support it as well.

Alpine also makes a deck that supports CarPlay. I think it's the ILX-700 or something like that.

You'll need a double DIN space to fit them and they retail for like $600+

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

infinite99 posted:

Most newer Pioneer decks have CarPlay now. There's one from them that specifically had it. The SPH-DA120. They also updated the firmware on their higher end models to support it as well.

Alpine also makes a deck that supports CarPlay. I think it's the ILX-700 or something like that.

You'll need a double DIN space to fit them and they retail for like $600+

:eek: $600? I guess I'll be waiting a while. Thanks for the info anyway!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That Pioneer is $430 on Amazon, if that helps.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Head units have gotten really expensive as they try to out-feature the improved units that get put in at the factory.

Seems like a losing proposition to me but what do I know.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

xzzy posted:

Head units have gotten really expensive as they try to out-feature the improved units that get put in at the factory.

They've actually come down in price somewhat. I remember paying over $1500 about 5 years ago for a double-din touchscreen navigation unit, and today's equivalent with more features is less than half of that cost.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Adobe Reader on my dashboard?! I can't give these guys $400 fast enough!

That thing honestly looks awesome, though, I have a Mazda 3 as well and I've been trying to think of ways to basically glue an iPad Mini to my dashboard ever since I got one. I do a lot of driving at night though and it seems like all of these backlit touchscreens would be really bad for eye fatigue. How is your Android unit in the dark?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

That's a valid concern that I can't speak much to because while it doesn't bother me I don't drive much at night. You can PM me if you want to get into specifics or there's a thread on Mazda3forums.com about it.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

The Dave posted:

That's a valid concern that I can't speak much to because while it doesn't bother me I don't drive much at night. You can PM me if you want to get into specifics or there's a thread on Mazda3forums.com about it.

It's not an easy thing to test either because I'm talking like 2AM country roads with all the indicator lights dimmed really low. Even the high beam light that doesn't dim is very distracting and an iPhone turned all the way down lights up the whole car.

My Garmin GPS has the perfect level of illumination combined with night mode, though. Those guys really know GPS units.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

xzzy posted:

The factory units are crazy too. My last car was a 2006, and the manufacturer added a line in and navigation the next year. Buying a used navi/line in head unit was like $1500.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Endless Mike posted:

On screen replacements: Yeah, Apple will do it on the standard warranty. They replaced my screen because it had a small light spot that was barely noticeable.

I like it a lot but it's still a work in progress. If it had google maps integration it'd be the best. It just takes some getting used to cause I'm so used to being on my phone while driving so I'll click the messages app and it shows you the names but not what the messages say. It has to go through Siri which can be annoying sometimes. I just want more apps and more functionality in the maps app. I like the spotify integration.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Anyone else getting weird cursor jumps while typing? On my 5s I'll be typing and the cursor will bounce into the middle of a block of quoted text/email I'm replying to. In another app while typing I get booted to YouTube which I'm guessing is iOS registering my typing as clicking the ad bar covered by the keyboard.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I'm starting to notice a trend of Google apps being poo poo on my iPhone 6 -- namely, YouTube and Google maps. They both routinely think I have no internet connection, whether at home on wifi, or out and about on cellular data. Sometimes, logging out of my google account works, sometimes it doesn't. Is this a common issue? I used these apps on Android devices for 3 or 4 years and this never happened.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

enojy posted:

I'm starting to notice a trend of Google apps being poo poo on my iPhone 6 -- namely, YouTube and Google maps. They both routinely think I have no internet connection, whether at home on wifi, or out and about on cellular data. Sometimes, logging out of my google account works, sometimes it doesn't. Is this a common issue? I used these apps on Android devices for 3 or 4 years and this never happened.

I haven't noticed anything like that with the YouTube app. I don't use Google Maps so I can't say anything about that, but I will agree that there has been a fairly steady trend of Google apps being rather buggy or not working properly.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Or, in the case of Google Keep, non-existent.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
can someone recommend an audio in / mic adapter for the iphone? I tried this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CPEZ4J6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8 but neither the headphone output nor mic input appeared to work. Most don't seem to mention ctia or omtp

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Apr 27, 2015

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Just wanted to chime in that I bought an Amazon Basics lightning cable and I'm very happy with it. The build quality is great for the price. I think I'll get a few more of these instead of the poo poo €1.49 ones I was powering through.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

A Yolo Wizard posted:

can someone recommend an audio in / mic adapter for the iphone? I tried this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CPEZ4J6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8 but neither the headphone output nor mic input appeared to work. Most don't seem to mention ctia or omtp

You're going to want something that connects via the 30-pin or lightning port, not the headphone jack.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Anyone else's stock keyboard sticking the pop up key confirmation permanently until the next letter is pressed?

Started, I guess, on the latest firmware update.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Feenix posted:

Anyone else's stock keyboard sticking the pop up key confirmation permanently until the next letter is pressed?

Started, I guess, on the latest firmware update.

Nope. Try a restore to a backup, if still not working then a restore to an empty phone, and finally take it into an Apple Store if the problem is recurring as it might indicate a digitizer issue.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

beefnoodle posted:

You're going to want something that connects via the 30-pin or lightning port, not the headphone jack.

Why would I not use the headphone / mic input for mic input

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Yesterday I test drove a Mazda 3 and a Honda Fit - 2015 both. No mention of CarPlay in either brochure and the sales guys had never heard of it. Yet both manufacturers are purportedly partners - what's the state of play with it?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Lexicon posted:

Yesterday I test drove a Mazda 3 and a Honda Fit - 2015 both. No mention of CarPlay in either brochure and the sales guys had never heard of it. Yet both manufacturers are purportedly partners - what's the state of play with it?
Mazda was a very latecomer and as far as I know isn't selling any cars with it yet.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

As expected, Best Buy folded on Apple Pay.

http://techcrunch.com/2015/04/27/best-buy-changes-course-will-accept-apple-pay-after-all/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Let's start the countdown to Walmart, CVS, and all the others giving up on CurrentC. I'm betting this is because MCX is going to quietly kill CurrentC and it'll never come to market.