Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bottom Liner posted:

He said it was getting reworked and the old box would be obsolete. That's completely different man.

When you stop making something because you are now making something better, the previous thing becomes obsolete. That's how that word works. What else could obsolete mean in the context of a board game? Its not like the DRM in old Agricola copies will expire and go up in flames or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
"Reworked" and obsolete makes it sound like they're changing the game and rules up and that the old game wouldn't work with future content or something. They're introducing a better deal, but it is still the same game. That's a very different message than saying "don't buy Agricola because it's getting changed" without any further explanation.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

It's true, they did change the game rules and made the old game obsolete. Uwe made Caverna. :viggo:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Speaking of Uwe, I just bought Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small at my B&N for $20, pretty happy about that. I think it's a great introductory game to Euro style stuff.

They also have Dominion: Dark Ages for $24, how is that expansion? I haven't played that one. Also, my B&N has plenty of stuff left from that sale, so it doesn't hurt to check.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Bottom Liner posted:

Speaking of Uwe, I just bought Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small at my B&N for $20, pretty happy about that. I think it's a great introductory game to Euro style stuff.

They also have Dominion: Dark Ages for $24, how is that expansion? I haven't played that one. Also, my B&N has plenty of stuff left from that sale, so it doesn't hurt to check.

My "plays 50 cards in one round" super-Dominion pro fanatic co-worker swears by Dark Ages. He calls it the advanced mode-- and of course he is loving Dominion Adventures now too. Plus he says it's kind of funny to start out with what feels like a lovely kingdom of dark ages poo poo and want to try to get rid of it all to make it better.

He says Dominion expansions are like Star Trek movies, only about half of them are good with the other half being not mentionable. Dark Ages seems like one of the good ones I am guessing.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Apr 26, 2015

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

jeeves posted:

He says Dominion expansions are like Star Trek movies, only about half of them are good with the other half being not mentionable.

Other than Alchemy, which are the bad expansions :confused:

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

It's fantastic, but also a considerable jump in complexity. Among other things you have a lot of cards that come and go making it harder to keep track of what's in your deck.

jeeves posted:

He says Dominion expansions are like Star Trek movies, only about half of them are good with the other half being not mentionable. Dark Ages seems like one of the good ones I am guessing.

This is silly. Honestly it doesn't really even make that much sense to say an entire expansion is bad; it makes more sense to talk about good and bad cards, and all expansions have some fantastic cards. But of course we have to make purchasing decisions somehow. Alchemy is sort of an exception since it's almost all Potion cards, which some people hate categorically, but all other expansions contain a wide variety of cards and don't adhere completely to any given theme.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Jealous of anyone finding cheap dark ages. No B&N within 50 miles has one :(

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Dark Ages and Guilds rank barely above Alchemy for Dominion expansions and Adventures is a breath of fresh air (even if only for the Events). Hinterlands is still A++, though.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
What the gently caress? Who the gently caress thinks any non-Alchemy expansions are bad?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Broken Loose posted:

What the gently caress? Who the gently caress thinks any non-Alchemy expansions are bad?

Hell, who thinks Alchemy is bad? My only trepidation with Alchemy is if I'm gonna use it, it's going to be a very Alchemy heavy kingdom. 60%+

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Oh, you drew 3+P turn three and I drew 2+P, I guess you just win.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Oh, you drew 3+P turn three and I drew 2+P, I guess you just win.

Yeah, this is why I outright won't play with Familiar. I'd rather fight against somebody who shuffled a 5/2 split with Chapel/Witch out than deal with Turn 3 Familiar.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
Herbalist doesn't have anything to apologize for and Apprentice more than makes up for the sins of the other 11 cards.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Poopy Palpy posted:

Herbalist doesn't have anything to apologize for and Apprentice more than makes up for the sins of the other 11 cards.

I like Herbalist and I love Apprentice, but I never said that Alchemy was bad. Just asking how the gently caress anybody could dislike any of the non-Alchemy expansions.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Broken Loose posted:

I like Herbalist and I love Apprentice, but I never said that Alchemy was bad. Just asking how the gently caress anybody could dislike any of the non-Alchemy expansions.

Toshimo is curmudgeonliness made manifest in the form of a white-mage bee.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Poopy Palpy posted:

Herbalist is nice and Apprentice is great but I think $30 MSRP is a bit steep for two cards.

Vineyards is a nice card too if you pretend its cost reads "4".

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Guilds is mostly bad cards and one really awful card that magnifies deficiencies in non-mirrored hands. Dark Ages has Knights (bleh) and Shelters (which I'd just as soon leave in the box forever) . I'd happily drop the bottom 1/3rd of DA and take like the 3 good cards in Guilds and make a decent expansions instead of 2 subpar ones.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
you're gonna have to elaborate. if you're going to troll, you'll need to put more effort into it than "the cards suck, peace out guys!"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
And you're complaining about 2 cards in Dark Ages. Blacklist those two in your randomizer program of choice and keep the remaining 30+

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

jivjov posted:

And you're complaining about 2 cards in Dark Ages. Blacklist those two in your randomizer program of choice and keep the remaining 30+

You don't need to blacklist Shelters, their use is dictated by a random draw in the same way as Platinum/Colony are when using Prosperity. If you don't want to use them, don't make the draw.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Countblanc posted:

Play Can't Stop!, it's the only dice game that matters.

I play Can't Stop against myself on my phone. The implementation is buggy, but even when it crashes I can't stay mad because the android message that pops up tells me "Unfortunately, Can't Stop has stopped."

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Vineyards is a nice card too if you pretend its cost reads "4".

This would probably be okay but Vineyards doesn't need the help; it's already probably the strongest Kingdom Victory card in the game.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

McNerd posted:

This would probably be okay but Vineyards doesn't need the help; it's already probably the strongest Kingdom Victory card in the game.

The cost change isn't intended as a buff, it's intended as a way to put it in the game at all without using the terrible Potion mechanic. (If I recall correctly, DXV mentioned at one point that Vineyards and Gardens originally had their costs reversed, with Vineyards in the base game.)

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
The best part of Dominion is that there are 236 different cards
Don't like a few? you've still got quadrillions of possible boards

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

The cost change isn't intended as a buff, it's intended as a way to put it in the game at all without using the terrible Potion mechanic. (If I recall correctly, DXV mentioned at one point that Vineyards and Gardens originally had their costs reversed, with Vineyards in the base game.)

But what exactly is your problem with Potion? There are two major complaints I've heard, and neither of them are issues for Vineyard.

• You get awkward draws, like drawing $2P when you need $3P, so that not only can you not get the thing you wanted but you can't get other good things either. But Vineyard only costs P, so that doesn't come up: you can get your hands on Vineyards pretty reliably if you bought Potion. It's a little annoying to get something like $7P and one buy but it's not really a big deal.
  • Potion says "Here's a card that isn't worth buying unless you intend to buy several of them," and people think it's not worth it, or they don't like the strategic inflexibility of being unable to buy a single copy of something. But Vineyards usually IS worth it and you DO want several of them, so what's the problem?

McNerd fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Apr 27, 2015

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Sirlin Games products are actually in stock with one of our distributors :psyduck:

Guess I'm ordering Round 1 of Yomi at a discount then :getin:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Can I get some goon-pinions on Power Grid? I've been eyeing it on aesthetic alone, and I'm terrible at gleaning gameplay information off of wikipedia summaries.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

jivjov posted:

Can I get some goon-pinions on Power Grid? I've been eyeing it on aesthetic alone, and I'm terrible at gleaning gameplay information off of wikipedia summaries.

I love it. It's very dry and very mathy and not very thematic, but it does some really cool things with turn order.

Each player operates their own power company and you use your small amount of funds to start carving out some territory on the map. You compete with the other players to bid on better power plants and to buy a finite number of increasingly expensive resources to fire those plants and power your network, which gets you paid.. As you expand your network, you make more and more money, but the power plants and the resources also get more expensive until someone's network hits the specific size and then whoever delivers power to the greatest number of cities is the winner.

The base game comes with a double-sided board, each with a different map. Each expansion is another double-sided board with two different maps and some extra rules. Most of them are great.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
Any opinions on Panamax? I'm a sucker for economic games and it looks pretty good!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Some Numbers posted:

I love it. It's very dry and very mathy and not very thematic, but it does some really cool things with turn order.

Each player operates their own power company and you use your small amount of funds to start carving out some territory on the map. You compete with the other players to bid on better power plants and to buy a finite number of increasingly expensive resources to fire those plants and power your network, which gets you paid.. As you expand your network, you make more and more money, but the power plants and the resources also get more expensive until someone's network hits the specific size and then whoever delivers power to the greatest number of cities is the winner.

The base game comes with a double-sided board, each with a different map. Each expansion is another double-sided board with two different maps and some extra rules. Most of them are great.

Should I pick up Power Grid or Power Grid Deluxe? According to some Amazon reviewers, the expansions aren't compatible with Deluxe?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

jivjov posted:

Should I pick up Power Grid or Power Grid Deluxe? According to some Amazon reviewers, the expansions aren't compatible with Deluxe?

Yeah, all the expansions came out before Deluxe. Deluxe is really Power Grid v2.0; I haven't played it, but I know that they changed almost everything. The power plants are different, the resources are different, even some of the rules are different.

I think it's overall a very similar game, but I can't advise you to get it, because I'm not sure how similar they are.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Some Numbers posted:

Yeah, all the expansions came out before Deluxe. Deluxe is really Power Grid v2.0; I haven't played it, but I know that they changed almost everything. The power plants are different, the resources are different, even some of the rules are different.

I think it's overall a very similar game, but I can't advise you to get it, because I'm not sure how similar they are.

Sounds like I'll go with 1.0 then; I like the look of all the expansions.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Yeah, I totally meant to say that the expansions are completely incompatible with Deluxe.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

jivjov posted:

I hate it because I find it terribly AP-inducing, but if you don't have a compulsion to solve solvable math problems you'll probably enjoy it like everyone else.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Toshimo posted:

Dark Ages and Guilds rank barely above Alchemy for Dominion expansions

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.
Played Snowdonia tonight. The turn I bought my train it got stolen by the white man or whatever the white cubes are supposed to be. I was mad and I lost by a lot. A+ would play again. Anyone have much experience with this game? The guy I was playing with had like all the expansions but we only played the base game. Does it really make the game that much different or is it just sort of a reskinned same experience?

Bottom Liner posted:

He said it was getting reworked and the old box would be obsolete. That's completely different man.

Please cite your sources because what I read didn't say that. They said they were redoing some of the cards and including expansions. Buying an upgraded set of cards is a lot cheaper than buying a whole new board game (there are a lot of pieces in there and cardboard).

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

jivjov posted:

It's good for it's weight but I think there are much better economic games out there. The route building is generally more interesting in 18xx games and I think the auctions in Chicago Express are more interesting. Unfortunately no other good games seem to have a similar resource market.

I'd recommend playing with the house rule where the top of the plant deck is always turned face up so that someone doesn't get a lucky plant and run away with the game.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

EvilChameleon posted:

Please cite your sources because what I read didn't say that. They said they were redoing some of the cards and including expansions. Buying an upgraded set of cards is a lot cheaper than buying a whole new board game (there are a lot of pieces in there and cardboard).

4outof5 posted:

Amazon and/or coolstuffinc but you might want to hold off on agricola it's getting a rework and current versions will be obsolete soon.

That's what I was talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

Bottom Liner posted:

That's what I was talking about.

I quoted that post and said it was inaccurate unless there is new info I haven't been told about.