Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

TheKingofSprings posted:

A 4/5 lifelinking flier you can have out turn 4 would in all likelihood still be standard playable. That card would trash Wingmate Rocs and profitably block Siege Rhinos all day long, and the ability to play it out turn 5 with Negate backup and morph it the following turn would be strong.

It's not lifelink :goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Rinkles posted:

Note to self:avoid using the word unplayable when having second thoughts.
I once had an Exalted Angel get targeted by Second Thoughts in constructed.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think it would be incredibly good against Gx, bad against control (7 mana is a lot to spend on something that dies to Downfall and Price). Against Rx I'm not sure, it pretty much wins the game if you flip it but on the other hand you're playing a 3 mana card that dies to any burn spell.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Alaan posted:

How is Constructed Resources since Efro took over as cohost? I heard it was pretty meh before but no reviews since the switch.

They had good opinions on women in MTG on the last podcast so it is already better than most conversations about it. I do think that these CR podcasts need to be 2+ hours.

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
Whats the best place to sell my MTGO cards to. I started drafting online and I'm trying to sell my rares to get tixs.

edit: most places seem to only buy complete collections.

Xeom fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Apr 26, 2015

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Xeom posted:

Whats the best place to sell my MTGO cards to. I started drafting online and I'm trying to sell my rares to get tixs.

edit: most places seem to only buy complete collections.

use mtgopricewiki and then just trade with the bot buying for highest.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

GoutPatrol posted:

They had good opinions on women in MTG on the last podcast so it is already better than most conversations about it. I do think that these CR podcasts need to be 2+ hours.

Yeah they spent probably at least 20 minutes talking about it on an LR episode about a month ago that was quite good.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Really hosed myself over today... I was in 8th place of an IQ/PPTQ going to round 6 which was the final round of swiss. Tables 1 and 2 ID'd but stupid me was too worried about being jumped that I chose to play it out when my opponent wanted to draw and I ended up in 10th place. Just really really dumb on my part as we both would've made it into top 8 at 4-1-1 if we drew...

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

mcmagic posted:

Really hosed myself over today... I was in 8th place of an IQ/PPTQ going to round 6 which was the final round of swiss. Tables 1 and 2 ID'd but stupid me was too worried about being jumped that I chose to play it out when my opponent wanted to draw and I ended up in 10th place. Just really really dumb on my part as we both would've made it into top 8 at 4-1-1 if we drew...

I did the exact opposite at a PPTQ - drew when I should have played. I forgot to check the tiebreakers of the lower tables and... whelp. It sucks, but that's part of playing competitive REL.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

born on a buy you posted:

use mtgopricewiki and then just trade with the bot buying for highest.

I don't really play on modo, but it seems super weird to me that there isn't a market system built into the game for placing and filling buy/sell orders, and you instead have to use an external service to do this.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I just had to argue with someone for five minutes because they tried to convince me that an indestructible Avacyn, who had taken six damage earlier in the turn, would die if they cast a Black Sun's Zenith on 7.

"Hey BJ, we had an Avacyn that blocked a 6/6, then I cast Black Sun on 7. Should it have died?"
"Well only if its toughness was 0 or less, then---"
"See! Told you guys!"
(another player): "Uhh wait I think he's saying it WOULDN'T die."
"Wait, what? But it's a 1/1 with six damage marked on it, right?"
"It's a 1/1 indestructible. It could have six million damage on it, and it still wouldn't die."
"So when do the -1/-1 counters start counting? From 8 or 1?"

I keep walking into my LGS on Commander games and getting roped into rules questions like that, trying to convince that same person that the stack doesn't resolve all at once, that same person that there's still time to respond after "At the beginning of the end step" things resolve, etc.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Next time ask him: "If I smash 8 of your fingers with a ball-peen hammer, then cut off 7, do you have any fingers left?"

Bonus points are that he probably won't bother you with questions after that, either.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Seriously those kind of questions are mostly quashed with three simple words: "Magic isn't Hearthstone"

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Probably a silly concern, but what's white about Dragonlord Ojutai? Both of the abilities are very blue.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Rinkles posted:

Probably a silly concern, but what's white about Dragonlord Ojutai? Both of the abilities are very blue.

flying! not being insanely overcosted while flying!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
The guy who spoiled a ton of Modern Masters cards, including the Kamigawa dragons released spoilers for MM2: http://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/33vw3o/modern_masters_15_mythics_and_a_few_extras_may/

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Apr 26, 2015

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Rinkles posted:

being a playable creature

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

TheKingofSprings posted:

The guy who spoiled a ton of Modern Masters cards, including the Kamigawa dragons released spoilers for MM2: http://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/33vw3o/modern_masters_15_mythics_and_a_few_extras_may/

ugh gently caress Modern Masters 2, taunting me with all of those cards that will either stay the same or go up in price :negative:

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Rinkles posted:

Hexproof is in white and blue, but that's about it. Ojutai could just as easily have been green-blue or mono-blue.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Applebees posted:

Hexproof is in white and blue, but that's about it. Ojutai could just as easily have been green-blue or mono-blue.

He could have been mono-green if they put some sort of restriction on his Anticipation effect, ie it can only take a creature or land or something.

Edit: Oh right, they don't make green flyers anymore.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Applebees posted:

Creature hexproof is actually G/U. The only mono-W creature with hexproof is Angelic Overseer, and it's (like Ojutai) conditional; the rest are some combination of WU (Geist, etc.) or WG (Sigarda, Fleecemane). White is indestructable and giving the player/permanents the player controls hexproof.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Four Score posted:

ugh gently caress Modern Masters 2, taunting me with all of those cards that will either stay the same or go up in price :negative:

They'll dip for awhile. Fulminator is one of my main targets.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Assuming an unlimited supply of packs at MSRP, spending enough on packs to open a full print run's worth of rares/mythics (One Thousand, Two Hundred and Ten United States Dollars) will get you ~$700 of Mythics, plus another $340 in "money" rares listed in that post. Assuming that's most of the money rares in the set...

The set seems to have been priced at roughly the same point as the cards normally fetch on the secondary market - I'd expect prices to decline slightly due to people opening them for drafts (and a commensurate rise in prices of Modern staples that aren't included). There doesn't seem to be a need for a limited print run at all - there's not going to be any profit in buying the set just to open.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Jabor posted:

Assuming an unlimited supply of packs at MSRP, spending enough on packs to open a full print run's worth of rares/mythics (One Thousand, Two Hundred and Ten United States Dollars) will get you ~$700 of Mythics, plus another $340 in "money" rares listed in that post. Assuming that's most of the money rares in the set...

The set seems to have been priced at roughly the same point as the cards normally fetch on the secondary market - I'd expect prices to decline slightly due to people opening them for drafts (and a commensurate rise in prices of Modern staples that aren't included). There doesn't seem to be a need for a limited print run at all - there's not going to be any profit in buying the set just to open.

There's 94 cards in modern that were printed between 8th edition and new phyrexia that were printed at uncommon that are currently averaging from a dollar to nearly 21 dollars in price. At common, there's about 37 that fit that bill, although they top out around 8.50.

The value in the set isn't going to just be centered in the rares and mythics. If you open that many dollars in product, say, you're opening 363 Uncommons, of which maybe 1/4 to 2/3s of which are probably going to be currently going for greater than 3 dollars, meaning you're opening at least 90 up to 242 dollars of Uncommons, and if you look at commons, you're opening 1210 commons, not including the maybe 20 that might be foils of that or other rarity, 1/8th of which might be 'money' commons, going for 2 bucks or more.

If nothing else, you're at least getting a fuckton of decent trade fodder, and that's with no duplicate rares or mythics.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Jabor posted:

If the value of the packs works out roughly even to the value of the cards now, then more supply has to cause some drop in single pricing. Especially cards like Elesh Norn, Iona, Fulminator mage, not being 4x and not being in a lot of decks affects prices. Cards which are 4x in popular lists are always much more expensive than 1x-3x sideboard cards, cards in fringe decks etc. Also remember last modern masters, I know its hard for anyone to stop selling the bullshit that everything went up in price and nothing dropped, but Doubling Season, a then $30 card dropped in 1/2. Arcbound Ravager's price went down by 1/2 for at least 6 months (I bought them at $12 in Dec 2013)

Plus a lot of the price pumps that happened were on the back of a surge in modern interest. I don't think we're going to get that again. I think a lot of players, from pro's on down to FNM heros realized that modern was a real format and here to stay, and bought in when several cards prices had dropped due to MM1. That and the pending GP Richmond which everyone went to, caused a price rise. Nowadays I look around and everyone has a modern deck (at least in my area)

jassi007 fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Apr 26, 2015

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
Dark confidant could see a major price drop. Its already been falling for a quite a while.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Xeom posted:

Dark confidant could see a major price drop. Its already been falling for a quite a while.

It's not well placed just now, but if it drops I'd say pick up a spare playset at a reasonable price, as it doesn't take much to make quilts card that powerful good again.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Gerard Fabiano is a heck of a wizard. Although he looked at quite a few cards before he found that one answer to the monstrous fleecemane.

Henron
Feb 19, 2010

Arms held out
In your Jesus Christ pose
Gerard Fabiano just had a very impressive game 3, wow.

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
I only need one for my cube. I was really hoping for a Bitterblossom reprint as well. I really don't know why its $40. It barely see's play in tier 2 decks.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Anyone know what Tom Ross has changed in his Bant Heroic deck for SCG Open Cleveland? His twitter notes it's better for control.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Xeom posted:

Well ya, Skrillex hasn't been relevant in a while now. Has it been confirmed that the superior Skrillex art will be used for MM2?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Chill la Chill posted:

Well ya, Skrillex hasn't been relevant in a while now. Has it been confirmed that the superior Skrillex art will be used for MM2?

none of this is confirmed, its a leak from someone who had a leak last time that turned out to be correct.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

I want Goblin Guide at common, gently caress it

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

I think the conditional nature of Ojutai's hexproof also plays into White. While he's sitting back on defense he's untouchable, once he starts going on the offensive he's fair game. Feels very White in its execution.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Like the angel from mirrodin.

Edit: pristine

Molybdenum fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Apr 26, 2015

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Archenteron posted:

Seriously those kind of questions are mostly quashed with three simple words: "Magic isn't Hearthstone"

Actually in HS it would be better off? it would go from an 8/8 with 7 damage (displays as 8/1) to a 1/1 with no damage

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Gensuki posted:

Actually in HS it would be better off? it would go from an 8/8 with 7 damage (displays as 8/1) to a 1/1 with no damage

Also that rules question has been around since original Mirrodin, like 10 years before Hearthstone was released.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

HMS Beagle posted:

I think the conditional nature of Ojutai's hexproof also plays into White. While he's sitting back on defense he's untouchable, once he starts going on the offensive he's fair game. Feels very White in its execution.

Creatures being untapped is definitely something white cares about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Gensuki posted:

There aren't any cards that reduce a creature's health in Hearthstone, so I don't know how it would work.

• Locked thread