Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

There's a reason I never look at supergroup chat in Marvel Heroes, and stick to the mumble.

The best thing about the 90s Xmen cartoon is that it does a lot of classic Claremont stories, but switches characters around, like Jubilee taking all the Kitty parts.

But the Mumble is all the people I'm talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

McSpanky posted:

I know this idea is impossibly ambitious but I'd love an Avengers game where the style of gameplay completely changes based on which Avenger you're playing. Imagine playing one level as Black Widow doing Thief-style stealth, another as Captain America with Batman AA combo brawling and shield tricks, then switching to Iron Man for a shmup sequence before donning the Hulkbuster armor for a UMvC3 fight.

Hulk's level style would be obvious.

There's been attempts to make games like that and the issue with them is that it necessitates splitting the playable characters in their own specific levels where they can use their gameplay style, which severely limits the playing experience and ruins the idea that you're playing as multiple characters in one big adventure rather than playing a series of gimmicky bonus levels from a better game. It also frustrates the player who might prefer one gameplay style to another and be annoyed they can't play as that character the whole way through.

Even more pragmatically, they split the dev team into making several half finished games rather than working on one big one, and as a result each gameplay section is guaranteed to be sub-par and feel rushed.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
There was a first person Avengers action game where you could play as Cap, Iron Man, Hulk or Thor in development alongside the movie.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
I think you could totally make something like that work. Like McSpanky said, Widow & Hawkeye would be like Assassin's Creed/Mordor, Cap would be more like Batman, Iron Man would be like Zone of the Enders or something, Thor could be similar but more melee centric. Hulk as State of Emergency style "wreck everything" poo poo is pretty funny but sounds good.

To make it work, you'd just need a simple threat generation mechanic like the GTA stars system. Like, to contextualize it in Battle of New York terms, if you run around killing a few alien mooks here and there as Hawkeye/Widow, those guys will keep coming after you, maybe occasionally a stronger one. But if you're playing as Thor and you start smashing up poo poo all over the place, then eventually Leviathans will come after you.

So it just organically sends threats after you that match up to the damage you're putting out. Simple.

(then you have to deal with the fact that some of those characters have crazy traversal abilities and how that impacts level design, but that's a surmountable problem too)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think something similar to what Lego does would work best for unique playstyles.

The majority of the game is the same whoever you're playing, but then you have areas that can only be reached by specific skills and then those little side areas can use the unique parts of the characters.

The actual play can still be different enough. Diablo does this already, a Barbarian certainly doesn't play like a Sorceress.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

twistedmentat posted:

There's a reason I never look at supergroup chat in Marvel Heroes, and stick to the mumble.

The best thing about the 90s Xmen cartoon is that it does a lot of classic Claremont stories, but switches characters around, like Jubilee taking all the Kitty parts.

Jubilee is the worst, and swapping Kitty back in would have improved the show in every respect.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

jscolon2.0 posted:

Jubilee is the worst, and swapping Kitty back in would have improved the show in every respect.

You take that back you motherfucker!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

ToastyPotato posted:

Most of this season's USM was a cheap Spider-verse arc, and season 1 of AA had the whole Cabal thing running through it, though "arc" can be used very loosely. Same for season 2 of AA with Infinity Stones, Stark's robot buddy, and now Ultron. Basically none of the things they claimed about the current cartoons were really true and they lied for no real reason since it would become immediately obvious to anyone who watched.

In this case I was thinking of Super Hero Squad Show that I think someone way back mentioned ran with multiple episode plotlines and such around the time the stuff about AA came out. But I could be wrong of course.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Lurdiak posted:

You take that back you motherfucker!

I much prefer current Jubilee over classic Jubilee. Burn me at the stake.

That ways always my dream, just remake the old classic Xmen stories in animated form.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Cooked Auto posted:

In this case I was thinking of Super Hero Squad Show that I think someone way back mentioned ran with multiple episode plotlines and such around the time the stuff about AA came out. But I could be wrong of course.

Super Hero Squad Show came out back in 2009.

Looking back it was a pretty fun show. RIP Marvel's Golden Age of Animation 2008-2012, shortest age ever.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Super Hero Squad Show came out back in 2009.

Looking back it was a pretty fun show. RIP Marvel's Golden Age of Animation 2008-2012, shortest age ever.

Ah well. Guess I got the details remembered wrong then. v:v:v

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

jscolon2.0 posted:

What is with the Jubilee hate?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Anora posted:

She was pretty useless on the show. Though she was one of the only women on the show who didn't faint using her powers, so she had that going for her.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

EMH ending was a big disappointment because it's the closest thing we had to a Marvel version of JLU. It used the whole universe across different franchises and could've been used as a springboard to launch other shows if they had wanted to. It did a good job of including b and c-listers occasionally too.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yeah, and even JLA's first season was really bad, so there was room for growth, until it got Loeb'd.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Spectacular Spider-man, Wolverine & The X-Men, Super Hero Squad Show and Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes are the best thing we got and will ever get of Marvel animation. Each and every one ending way too soon for this cruel world.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Anora posted:

She is the 90s.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Anora posted:

To build on the 90s hate, she's the audience surrogate for season One (much how Kitty was in Pryde of the XMen), but she's written in such a way that makes her not entirely interesting to the audience.

And really, as the XMen movie proved, everyone wants Logan to be the surrogate :clint:

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
She replaced dazzler :doom:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Kingtheninja posted:

She replaced dazzler :doom:

Didn't Jean replace Dazzler (if we're talking about Pryde of the X-Men vs the 90s version)?

Jason Ray
Mar 26, 2006
Teetotaling Atheist
How does Disney's ownership of marvel work when it comes to making cartoons? I always thought Cartoon Network kinda had a dislike for their DC properties and end them early because they had to pay royalties. Would Marvel have to pay more money to keep Avengers EMH going over Avenger Assemble? Did they use the money they saved to buy more expensive looking animation?

You know what the worst thing about these cartoons are? The tie in comics that are just screenshots. Even "The Batman" had original comic books.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Cartoon Network is Warner, same as DC, I'm pretty sure. There shouldn't be a royalty issue.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

E: Beaten. :(

Jason Ray posted:

How does Disney's ownership of marvel work when it comes to making cartoons? I always thought Cartoon Network kinda had a dislike for their DC properties and end them early because they had to pay royalties. Would Marvel have to pay more money to keep Avengers EMH going over Avenger Assemble? Did they use the money they saved to buy more expensive looking animation?

You know what the worst thing about these cartoons are? The tie in comics that are just screenshots. Even "The Batman" had original comic books.

Cartoon Network is owned by Time Warner (through Turner Broadcasting), who also owns DC (through Warner Bros.)

But I doubt AA has a higher budget than EMH.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I think it was just they wanted the Avengers cartoon to be done in house instead of through a separate studio that got a huge chunk of the money the show made.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Gaz-L posted:

Didn't Jean replace Dazzler (if we're talking about Pryde of the X-Men vs the 90s version)?

I meant the comics. Dazzler and Longshot (psylocke too, I guess) were replaced by jubilee, gambit, and ninja psylocke. I think around the time Jim Lee took over.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Anything that gets rid of Longshot is A-OK in my book.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jack Gladney posted:

Cartoon Network is Warner, same as DC, I'm pretty sure. There shouldn't be a royalty issue.

Oddly enough its not that simple. For example, Beware the Batman was airing episode during the Toonami block on CN but they eventually had to do a last minute marathon to get through all the episodes because they were about to lose the rights to air it.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

muscles like this? posted:

Oddly enough its not that simple. For example, Beware the Batman was airing episode during the Toonami block on CN but they eventually had to do a last minute marathon to get through all the episodes because they were about to lose the rights to air it.

But there is no real legal reason for that. Time Warner actively chose to sell the rights of a show it owned to itself.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
The real reason is that despite being owned by the same company, the CN division infights a lot with the DC division because divisions tend to compete for favor in the eyes of a more impersonal executive division.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Solaris Knight posted:

The real reason is that despite being owned by the same company, the CN division infights a lot with the DC division because divisions tend to compete for favor in the eyes of a more impersonal executive division.

Well then that is Time Warner allowing one finger to fight the other. Time Warner owns the content and the complete means of its distribution and it can't figure these things out. They don't take their DC properties very seriously. Example: Constantine. They sold a TV show to a network that they do not own, despite owning multiple networks. Gotham as well. How many current Marvel properties are running on networks not owned by Disney? The closest is Netflix, but that isn't a traditional network, and was ultimately part of the initial deal they made a couple of years back to get a ton of Disney content on there by 2016. Also Disney doesn't own a rival streaming service. I think they might have some stake in Hulu (or did) but they share(d) that with rival companies. So it isn't the same as Time Warner forgoing its own networks to sell its properties' rights to other competing networks.

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 28, 2015

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

New (alternative universe) Bruce Timm series coming, called Gods and Monsters. Will "air" on Machinima from next month, have two seasons and a film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11j7WUFaTVg

quote:

Justice League: Gods and Monsters Chronicles

From visionary producer and animator Bruce Timm (“Batman: The Animated Series”, “Superman: The Animated Series”), Justice League: Gods and Monsters Chronicles turns the DC Universe upside-down. In this dark, alternate world, telling the good guys from the bad guys is never easy: Superman is not the son of Jor-El, he’s the son of General Zod; Wonder Woman is not from peaceful Themyscira, but rather the warring nation of Ares; and Batman is more vampire-bat than man…and he’s not Bruce Wayne. It is unclear if our greatest heroes are here to protect us…or to rule us. With Season 1 set to launch in June, Machinima, Blue Ribbon Content and DC Entertainment have already begun development on Season 2, a 10-episode follow-up to the initial limited series.

source

(they are also doing some weird live action stuff but saved that for the other thread).

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
Bruce Timm Presents the DC Universe. That Wonder Woman has the Kirby-est costume, and, wait, in the world with just these three people, they still call it the Justice League? Shouldn't it be the Justice Trio? The Three Justiceteers?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Was that President Amanda Waller?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Waterhaul posted:

New (alternative universe) Bruce Timm series coming, called Gods and Monsters. Will "air" on Machinima from next month, have two seasons and a film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11j7WUFaTVg
We finally get hispanic superman as a relevant metaphor for the 21st century immigrant experience in America and it's an elseworlds.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone
"In this dark, alternate world"

As opposed to the dark comics world, and the dark movie world?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

goldenoreos posted:

"In this dark, alternate world"

As opposed to the dark comics world, and the dark movie world?

As opposed to the Teen Titans Go world, obviously.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
Ahahaha, they using freakin' Dexter to voice Batman. That's some inspired casting right there. Wonder Woman sounds pretty great too, and I also think I really like the Kirby-as-gently caress costume that someone else mentioned.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

XboxPants posted:

Ahahaha, they using freakin' Dexter to voice Batman. That's some inspired casting right there. Wonder Woman sounds pretty great too, and I also think I really like the Kirby-as-gently caress costume that someone else mentioned.

Michael C Hall is a great choice for Batman, he didn't just play Dexter, he was first famous for spending 6 years playing a gay mortician.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
He also did this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNlwoTbkk5M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Caught a couple of minutes of the 90s Brady Bunch Movie and never noticed before that Greg is played by Christopher Daniel Barnes aka 90s Spider-Man.

• Locked thread