Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Because Kojima REALLY pissed someone off at Konami

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1036069

Silent Hills is dead.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Because Konami is and has been run by morons for years now.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Kojima Silent Hill would have been the best. gently caress video games.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Rei_ posted:

Because Kojima REALLY pissed someone off at Konami
Has it ever been found out exactly what happened, or is it all secret behind the scenes stuff still?

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Well, I guess he turned down the proposal that MGS6 be a pachinko machine

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Butt Ghost posted:

Kojima Silent Hill would have been the best. gently caress video games.

Who What?

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Rei_ posted:

Well, I guess he turned down the proposal that MGS6 exist at all.

MGS4 made it pretty clear he wanted it to just end.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Has it ever been found out exactly what happened, or is it all secret behind the scenes stuff still?

It turns out that this game will probably make more money than Metal Gear Solid 5 this year and not require five years of development, a brand new cross platform game engine, or the construction of a new studio in Los Angeles. Plus, Masahiro Tanaka endorses it.

Well, that's just a confirmation Del Toro is no longer collaborating with Kojima. It's like Norman Reedus has put a nail in it by confirming his departure from the-

... oh wait.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Sunning posted:

It turns out that this game will probably make more money than Metal Gear Solid 5 this year and not require five years of development, a brand new cross platform game engine, or the construction of a new studio in Los Angeles. Plus, Masahiro Tanaka endorses it.

So instead of making cheap casual phone games AND triple A game blockbusters like MGS which bring prestige to your company they are going to just have the cheap casual phone games?

I don't get it. They were making profit off both types of game. Now they only have the profit of one type. This isn't progress even in a purely capitalistic view.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Unrelated but the replies to this tweet make my skin crawl. :catstare:

"Awww poor sweetie you should follow me I love you Norman can I smell your hair"

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I'd be more than happy to take the crazy fangirls off of Reedus' hands.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

RightClickSaveAs posted:

He asked Takahiro Konami if the company could make a real Castlevania again instead of letting those lovely Lords of Shadow games continue to be made.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Yodzilla posted:

Why the gently caress would you remove PT, even without a later game it's a fantastic standalone experience.

Because hatred is more important than profit or professionalism to Konami.

Regarde Aduck posted:

So instead of making cheap casual phone games AND triple A game blockbusters like MGS which bring prestige to your company they are going to just have the cheap casual phone games?

I don't get it. They were making profit off both types of game. Now they only have the profit of one type. This isn't progress even in a purely capitalistic view.

Japan loves phone games! Mobile is the future and will never fail!

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
This has to be one of the highest profile cancellations ever. One of the most famous game directors in the industry with a triple-A studio on an iconic series with a massive amount of hype from an extremely effective announcement. Whole different level from mid-tier studio Vaporware #346

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I am playing through Outlast and really loving it. It is a bit of a one trick pony and could have used a few more stealth mechanics because if you are ever spotted and can't break line of sight you are pretty much done for, but it really nails the atmosphere and scariness for me. There is some really gruesome messed up stuff in that game.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
God loving DAMNIT, I at least wanted to play PT whenever I got a Ps4. Horror is dead.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich

A. Beaverhausen posted:

God loving DAMNIT, I at least wanted to play PT whenever I got a Ps4. Horror is dead.

I bet someone makes a Half-life mod or something trying to recreate PT. Heck it probably already exists. Actually a mod that takes inspiration or concepts from PT would be pretty kick rear end.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

A. Beaverhausen posted:

You can buy it on the playstation network website right now, and it'll be in your download list forever.

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

if you are ever spotted and can't break line of sight you are pretty much done for

Just keep retreating until you find a loading area enemies can't cross.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Volt Catfish posted:

You can buy it on the playstation network website right now, and it'll be in your download list forever.
Holy poo poo, why didn't I think of that? Thanks, now I'll get to play it whenever I get a PS4.

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
Where are you going to download it from once it gets removed, though? Even if you "bought" it there's no way they're still going to host it on their servers once it's gone from the store.

Sad Mammal fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Apr 26, 2015

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Sad Mammal posted:

Where are you going to download it from once it gets removed, though? Even if you bought it there's no way they're still going to host it on their servers once it's gone from the store.
If PSN is anything like Steam, games that get removed from the store can still be downloaded if you own it, i.e. I can still download Cryostasis even though it got pulled from Steam a few years ago because I bought it ahead of time.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

I bet someone makes a Half-life mod or something trying to recreate PT. Heck it probably already exists. Actually a mod that takes inspiration or concepts from PT would be pretty kick rear end.

It's not exactly "horror", but there's always Elevator: Source.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

More things really should take some direction from PT. This whole "oh no I'm defenseless and something is chasing me" shtick is getting so old. I mourn the loss of Silent Hills :(

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

So whats stoping Kojima & co from just making a horror game elsewhere without the Silent Hill name tacked on?

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Basticle posted:

So whats stoping Kojima & co from just making a horror game elsewhere without the Silent Hill name tacked on?

Pretty much nothing and I think it would be great to see Kojima go "indie" whether it is horror or not.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

:siren:If you want to download PT but don't have a PS4:siren:

Create a PSN account if you don't already have one. navigate to P.T.'s page for your country, add to cart, confirm the purchase. Every single game you "purchase" can be re-downloaded at any time. I actually think it's illegal for Sony (or any digital retailer, actually) to stop offering a digital product you purchased without giving a refund?

My friend doesn't own a Sony console but he's been "banking" PS+ games for 2 years now until he buys one and then he has a truckload of games just sitting there for him to play.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Basticle posted:

Lack of funding probably

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Pretty sure somewhere in the fine print for both Xbox Live and PSN there is a clause that allows them to take stuff down for whatever reason they want. Not sure about the refund issue but in the case of P.T. it doesn't really apply since it is totally free.

I have no idea if they are actually removing the files or just making it unavailable to purchase.

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

Pretty sure somewhere in the fine print for both Xbox Live and PSN there is a clause that allows them to take stuff down for whatever reason they want. Not sure about the refund issue but in the case of P.T. it doesn't really apply since it is totally free.

Yep:

Playstation.com terms of service and user agreement posted:

Upon SCEA’s confirmation of your purchase, access to the purchased item will be made available to you through your Sony Online Services account that you used to purchase the item, until such time as SCEA removes the item. We encourage you to download or access your purchased item immediately after purchase.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
So it is probably way too early to know if it is horror or not, but I think Firewatch is looking pretty spooky. It could go in a Gone Home sorta direction though.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
INSIDE KONAMI HEADQUARTERS:-

CEO:- That loving VP Kojima, who the gently caress does he think he is, making incredible games, pushing human achievement in digital media, Changing the world, raking in hundreds of millions for the company, possibly re-inventing a loved franchise with a world renowned director and a hot streak actor. the nerve of the loving guy.

Quisling:- Yeah, the nerve!

CEO:- This company should have one future and one future only, make lovely phone games and pachinko machines, that's where the future is!

Quisling:- Yeah, Cut his loving balls off!

CEO:- Yes, Cut his balls off. it's not like he was the single only good thing left in the company in general.

Board member:- But sir he's doing awesome stuff and making millions for the company and producing cool games, what's the problem?

CEO:- Exactly. It's time to put a stop to that fucker.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Al-Saqr posted:

INSIDE KONAMI HEADQUARTERS:-

CEO:- That loving VP Kojima, who the gently caress does he think he is, making incredible games, pushing human achievement in digital media, Changing the world, raking in hundreds of millions for the company, possibly re-inventing a loved franchise with a world renowned director and a hot streak actor. the nerve of the loving guy.

Quisling:- Yeah, the nerve!

CEO:- This company should have one future and one future only, make lovely phone games and pachinko machines, that's where the future is!

Quisling:- Yeah, Cut his loving balls off!

CEO:- Yes, Cut his balls off. it's not like he was the single only good thing left in the company in general.

Board member:- But sir he's doing awesome stuff and making millions for the company and producing cool games, what's the problem?

CEO:- Exactly. It's time to put a stop to that fucker.

I'm surprised no one has made a Downfall video of this situation yet.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
At least before he left Kojima got to make a doctor have to state publicly, "No, the experimental procedure I'm going to do is not a Metal Gear publicity stunt, it's a real thing". At the same time though, it does make you wonder what loving insane poo poo he'd have put in a Silent Hill game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

I have no idea if they are actually removing the files or just making it unavailable to purchase.

While that may be the case, I don't think they've ever done it. Although being a free game it could very well happen, who knows.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
Unplug PS4 from net, check reaction on net to see if installs get deleted from the PS4 the day after, if so play to your satisfaction until reconnecting

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Does the PSN community usually keep data preserved? Someone should probably save PT and keep it floating about on MegaUpload or whatever. If it works like that.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Konami officially confirms Silent Hills cancellation while dropping a nebulous statement that they're talking with Kojima and Del Toro about a future Silent Hill game. My brain.

Butt Ghost posted:

Does the PSN community usually keep data preserved? Someone should probably save PT and keep it floating about on MegaUpload or whatever. If it works like that.

I don't think PS4 has legitimately been cracked yet. Best we have is someone ripping it at a later date but seriously don't expect to see P.T. ever again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

al-azad posted:

Konami officially confirms Silent Hills cancellation while dropping a nebulous statement that they're talking with Kojima and Del Toro about a future Silent Hill game. My brain.

I don't think PS4 has legitimately been cracked yet. Best we have is someone ripping it at a later date but seriously don't expect to see P.T. ever again.

I think the best we could hope for is someone recreates it on PC. The Fox Engine is multiplatform and already running there, I don't know if Konami are licensing the engine for personal use though.