Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

ZombieLenin posted:

What I am saying is: I don't understand the physics. I get the abstract mechanism of action, obviously. Airbag keeps you on top of the snow.

an avalanche is a suspension of particulate matter in air; it is a fluid

im assuming you can figure out the rest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

[It would be insanely nerve-wracking to be above the icefall right now; knowing that you can't climb down. In theory they should have a few weeks of supplies with them though, right? Summits were probably still 3-4 weeks away?

Sherpas would have been constantly ferrying food up and trash down during that period.

http://madisonmountaineering.com/team-hopeful-for-helicopter-evac/

quote:

We have been up here at Camp 2 hanging tough but we are running low on food and fuel and we have to get down. There’s no path or route through the Khumbu icefall at this point in time. The teams that have tried to make their way through the icefall today were unsuccessful and will not be attempting again in the future. So at this point our only option to get down is by helicopter evacuation.
So, not so much.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Airnt there multiple other routes up and down Everest? Sounds like a case of laziness

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Arsenic Lupin posted:

So, not so much.

Best option is to climb to camp 3 for more supplies. This will make the book and movie better.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Roger_Mudd posted:

Best option is to climb to camp 3 for more supplies. This will make the book and movie better.

Is it more or less guarenteed that there will be a movie or book?

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Airnt there multiple other routes up and down Everest? Sounds like a case of laziness

Yes but they are no where near camp 1 and 2 and there is no way to get to them. The other routes are left to the pro climbers mainly.

Who knows. These guys wouldn't be on the world's tallest mountain if they weren't top tier athletes. I'm sure everyone will be fine.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Yes.

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Best friends make the best weapons

keevo posted:

Someone is saying that Camp 2 has about two days worth of supplies left. I don't know why they aren't going down to Camp 1 though.

That route might be damaged/risky right now, too.

It would be insanely nerve-wracking to be above the icefall right now; knowing that you can't climb down. In theory they should have a few weeks of supplies with them though, right? Summits were probably still 3-4 weeks away?

They deliberately don't put all their supplies in place at once because there's always a chance that they'll get wiped out by storms/avalanches/thieves.

Pvt Dancer posted:

Why don't they drop some zorbs and then roll down the ice fall?

Because they don't want to end up at the bottom of a 100+ feet-deep crevasse.

This article has pictures of the rescue operations and the snow cloud: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2015/04/26/mountaineers-guides-everest-avalanche/26410705/

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I believe David Breashears is still in Camp 1. I wonder if he still has his equipment and if yes, if he finds time to film.

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
They should just summit and then keep going down the north route into China. They get their summit, don't have to navigate the icefall, everyone wins. That's called making lemonade out of lemons.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

What was Breashears shooting before the poo poo hit the fan?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Happy Hedonist posted:

What was Breashears shooting before the poo poo hit the fan?

The initial tremors. Someone does say the camp is shaking seconds into it.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Pvt Dancer posted:

Why don't they drop some zorbs and then roll down the ice fall?

Someone post the German zorbdeath video.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Grim Up North posted:

I believe David Breashears is still in Camp 1. I wonder if he still has his equipment and if yes, if he finds time to film.

Some more actual footage would be really cool. I hope so

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

It would be insanely nerve-wracking to be above the icefall right now; knowing that you can't climb down.
It would also be insanely nerve-wracking to be crossing the icefall, if that were possible, given the risk of aftershocks.

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib

Ars Arcanum posted:

Because they don't want to end up at the bottom of a 100+ feet-deep crevasse.

How about a really big zorb so it can't fall in a crevasse. With a bit of momentum you can just keep rolling until you're in the valley.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
I've been trying to find out what's the situation with Langtang village that everyone is saying may be wiped out. There's a report of a pilot saying he saw some villages that were completely wiped out. But whenever anyone talks about Langtang, it's for someone missing in that region.

Ars Arcanum posted:

That route might be damaged/risky right now, too.

Possibly. I think those on Camp 2 will be ok though. NorthmenPK is saying they're going to begin evacuations on Camp 1 and 2 tomorrow.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

keevo posted:

Don't think this video has been posted yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JC_wIWUC2U

Scheisse indeed. :aaa:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Grim Up North posted:

Alex Gavan yesterday Tweeted that Breashears was helicoptered down from Camp 1. Since Breashears was one of the people who set the route through the Icefall, he may have gone down to see what could be done. Or he could be hurt.

https://twitter.com/AlexGAVAN/status/592194345131855872

Alex Gavan posted:

ongoing heli rescue in western cwm.few climbers, included david breashers, helicoptered down from camp1.more than 100 of them still up.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Alex Gavan yesterday Tweeted that Breashears was helicoptered down from Camp 1.

Oh, ok, I hope he is ok.

That NorthmenPK twitter stream is loving dire:

#Everest more than 200 are still missing on base camp, some of them might be buried under avalanche.
#Everest some of those who left base camp are in Gorak sheep, safest place near Everest base camp.

#Everest out team told us that many sherpas also left bc who were asked to work on icefall and prepare route for descent. (1/2)
#Everest many brave sherpas are still there, ready to risk their life for security of climbers on high camps. (2/2)

#Everest 50% climbers/trekkers have left base camp, The ones still there are sleeping with their helmets and climbing boots on.

#Everest our team sending messages from base camp are descending down now, so are many other teams.

#Everest message from Sean camp 1: My heart leaps every time the earth moves. I can’t get used to it.
#Everest message from Sean camp 1: The circumstances we face are dire. As I lie here writing this, the ground is moving beneath me.
#Everest message from Sean camp 1: Moving down the valley exposes us to rock fall off the slopes should there be another quake.
#Everest message from Sean camp 1: We’re protected by being centrally away from the ice laden slopes and we’re surrounded by large glacial.
#Everest message from Sean camp 1: there is nowhere to go that is any safer than were we are right now.
#Everest message from Sean camp 1: It’s so unstable now that rock fall and minor avalanches occur consistently.
#Everest message from Sean camp 1: This afternoon we had a discussion about our options. Shortly afterwards we again felt the earth shake.

withak
Jan 15, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Fun Shoe

I Greyhound posted:

The P-waves are shaking, and I'm thinking, yeah, that's pretty bad. The the S-waves hit and I'm like :stare:

It's the surface waves that are like :stare:. S-waves are usually part of the direct arrival, or close enough that you can't tell them apart.

withak fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Apr 26, 2015

Ogive
Dec 22, 2002

by Lowtax

Pvt Dancer posted:

How about a really big zorb so it can't fall in a crevasse. With a bit of momentum you can just keep rolling until you're in the valley.

And if the big zorb is too big to keep people from being injured when it rolls around, they can use normal-sized zorbs inside the big one!

http://inception.davepedu.com/

Somebody call the White House, we got this!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Was there anyone above camp 2 when the quake hit or had they not made it that far yet?

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

I can't imagine how terrifying it is up there. You go for what you think will be this awesome accomplishment, and you're so stoked to climb it. The world's tallest mountain, man! That's so cool! Yeah! Then everything just goes to poo poo, earthquakes destroying basically any hope you have of getting to safety.

I bet it's like double-scary if you're a rich rear end in a top hat used to being safe all the time. The real world had doubled down on these poor fuckers.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
If things turned out so that K2 was actually the tallest mountain, could the same tourist industry build up there as it did with Everest? Or is K2 just too dangerous for these google execs and amateurs

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

If things turned out so that K2 was actually the tallest mountain, could the same tourist industry build up there as it did with Everest? Or is K2 just too dangerous for these google execs and amateurs

K2 doesn't have the brand recognition that Everest does. I'm sure as soon as the first google exec/amateur does it and post a selfie about it the cycle will repeat.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

K2 wants to kill you. You cannot be dragged up K2, because it is technical as gently caress, and if the ascent doesn't get you the descent surely will.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

K2 is too dangerous and too difficult. If Everest basecamp was at sea level rather than 4000m or whatever it is, the mountain would be entirely unremarkable, there's not really any technically challenging climbing, it's just the altitude and the weather/conditions that make it dangerous. On the right say, almost anyone could climb Everest if they don't succumb to the low oxygen. K2 is a different matter, there's a lot of climbing that would be tricky even without the altitude and constant avalanches.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

FunMerrania posted:

K2 doesn't have the brand recognition that Everest does. I'm sure as soon as the first google exec/amateur does it and post a selfie about it the cycle will repeat.
I doubt that. Isn't K2 in Pakistan and isn't that place heavy with Taliban still? I seem to recall some news story or other about some climbers who got got by them a few years ago.

Also K2 is only accessible by some crazy rear end 40 mile trek through uninhabited wilderness that doesn't even have roads beyond a certain river IIRC. Like we're talking two week donkey ride or something nuts. It really is in the middle of loving nowhere and there is no local Sherpa-like population nearby to exploitrecruit for your trek.

And all that BEFORE you actually try and climb the very technical, very dangerous mountain itself.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Yeah for those that actually care, the reason most of us don't consider climbing Everest to be that big of an accomplishment is because its not actually a technically difficult climb. The extensive work done by sherpas to make the mountain as easy to scale as possible means that almost anyone can summit it. The difficulty comes from being stuck in a low oxygen environment for a long period of time. That's not really something you can overcome through determination or skill. Simply put, your brain won't get enough oxygen on the way to the summit so just being up there is slowly killing you, regardless of what you do. Getting up it is really just a question of how much money you have and how lucky you are with the natural hazards of the mountain.

Its a different story right now though given that the quake destroyed many of them lines that are normally used.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

NPR has a great roundup of K2 books. The most-quoted K2 statistic is that one out of four people who tries to climb it dies. A lot of world-class mountaineers have died on the descent, after summiting.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

NPR has a great roundup of K2 books. The most-quoted K2 statistic is that one out of four people who tries to climb it dies. A lot of world-class mountaineers have died on the descent, after summiting.

I'm pretty sure it's 1 out of 4 people that *summit* it die. (Which sounds more horrific, but probably is actually less bad by the numbers).

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

Fatkraken posted:

If Everest basecamp was at sea level rather than 4000m or whatever it is, the mountain would be entirely unremarkable, there's not really any technically challenging climbing, it's just the altitude and the weather/conditions that make it dangerous. On the right say, almost anyone could climb Everest if they don't succumb to the low oxygen. K2 is a different matter, there's a lot of climbing that would be tricky even without the altitude and constant avalanches.
:goonsay:
Have you ever looked at the fucker?

http://www.theguardian.com/travel/interactive/2012/dec/20/mount-everest-zoom-2bn-pixel-image

zoom in and follow the path up, its stunning and is anything but unremarkable.

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

keevo posted:

I've been trying to find out what's the situation with Langtang village that everyone is saying may be wiped out. There's a report of a pilot saying he saw some villages that were completely wiped out. But whenever anyone talks about Langtang, it's for someone missing in that region.

Possibly. I think those on Camp 2 will be ok though. NorthmenPK is saying they're going to begin evacuations on Camp 1 and 2 tomorrow.

There's a good chance they're not wiped out. During the Fukushima quake there was one pilot report that the area around [town] was totally devastated. That got telephone gamed on twitter that it was certain proof that a town of 60,000 people was completely wiped out with zero possible survivors. It turned out that some farms flooded by the tsunami, which is what the pilot meant, and the town was (relatively) fine and most definitely not obliterated.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

polpotpotpotpotpot posted:

I'm pretty sure it's 1 out of 4 people that *summit* it die. (Which sounds more horrific, but probably is actually less bad by the numbers).

You're right. Also, Annapurna is worse.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

withak posted:

S-waves are usually part of the direct arrival, or close enough that you can't tell them apart.
Nah, in my experience they're usually easy to tell apart if you're more than a couple of kms from the epicentre.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

polpotpotpotpotpot posted:

slightly different statistics, for each 4 people that summit, 1 person dies. It's not necessarily 1 in 4 of the specific individuals who summit, it might be that 100 people summited, 25 died, but 24 of the 25 never reached the summit and died on the way UP, or between lower camps while ferrying material. Or it would be 25 dead people did summit and died on the way down, or any other mix.

Fumble posted:

:goonsay:
Have you ever looked at the fucker?

http://www.theguardian.com/travel/interactive/2012/dec/20/mount-everest-zoom-2bn-pixel-image

zoom in and follow the path up, its stunning and is anything but unremarkable.

Unremarkable among it's peers, and in terms of climbing difficulty, obviously giant beautiful mountains are awesome wonders of nature but if there was a mountain the exact shape and prominence as Everest but 1000m shorter no one would even have heard of it.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

keevo posted:

Don't think this video has been posted yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JC_wIWUC2U

it's like the scene from the wire where they solve a murder just by walking in a room and saying "gently caress" and "poo poo" to each other except these people are doing nothing productive at all

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Please update the OP with all this exciting news! Does anybody know what the current death tool on Everest is for this year..?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

gannyGrabber posted:

Please update the OP with all this exciting news! Does anybody know what the current death tool on Everest is for this year..?

at least 10, and one is a google executive

so that comes to 1 white rich person and his 9 sherpas

• Locked thread