Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I pulled the poo poo out of my back, so my birthday has been spent on muscle relaxers laying around. I did get an apple watch and my favourite sushi and go out to dinner, so it's been a great lazy Sunday

I have an interview tomorrow for an IT internship and the dude who referred me is interviewing me. he told me to brush up on my Microsoft stuff, and that he knows I have to have good customer service skills since I work for apple.

other than general trouble shooting, what else should I brush up on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Tusen Takk posted:

he told me to brush up on my Microsoft stuff...other than general trouble shooting, what else should I brush up on?

Knowing your way around the MS family of operating systems & office applications and a rudimentary understanding of adding/maintaining users in Active Directory (which is basically adding/maintaining users on any flavor of Windows going back to 98SE/2000 with a few bells & whistles added) is what most people are looking for in an entry-level help desk position. If you haven't done that in recent memory there are plenty of "setting up a 2008/2012 domain and adding users to AD" videos on YouTube and if you know how to do virtualization you could set up a 2008/2012 server VM and play around with it.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

meatpimp posted:

Good day given from the carb god, but yeah, gently caress carbs in general.

Agreed. loving worthless Carter BBD. :argh:

Clean it out and find out its missing the gasket between it and the intake manifold. Put one in and the computer controlling it breaks. Bypass that and one of the adjustment screws seizes. Now I have to take it off yet again to try to fix it. And once it's working I'll get a temperamental piece of poo poo that needs constant tuning based on outside temperature and provides middling power and efficiency to an already underwhelming engine.

gently caress carbs.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I drive a ton of stuff with carbs and they are fine. Fuel injection is cool too. Cant we all just get along.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
BOOZE CHAT

More cheap as gently caress Target scores. These ran me $5 each. Who cares if it's poo poo? It'll still get me drunk as poo poo.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Admiral Nelson's lol

meatpimp posted:

Carbs are staples on small engines. I had a minor carb triumph today with dad's big 15hp Kawasaki twin-driven Snapper Pro walk behind.

My 50cc scooter has EFI and it's loving awesome.

gently caress Carbs.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

Admiral Nelson's lol

It tastes exactly like Captain Morgan but for 1/4 of the cost! I ran back two days later to get a few more bottles but they were cleaned out.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Geoj posted:

Knowing your way around the MS family of operating systems & office applications and a rudimentary understanding of adding/maintaining users in Active Directory (which is basically adding/maintaining users on any flavor of Windows going back to 98SE/2000 with a few bells & whistles added) is what most people are looking for in an entry-level help desk position. If you haven't done that in recent memory there are plenty of "setting up a 2008/2012 domain and adding users to AD" videos on YouTube and if you know how to do virtualization you could set up a 2008/2012 server VM and play around with it.

nice, I'll have to look into that tonight.

I'm hoping it's more of a "hey write a bunch of batch scripts for us" kinda thing but I'll take the $20/hr no matter what

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

InitialDave posted:

I'm not talking about the kind of stuff where words like "induction roar" (or "performance", "economy", "the fact it's running is not worth commenting on" etc) would be applied.

Statement still stands. FI on everything, replace ALL the carbs

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Tusen Takk posted:

nice, I'll have to look into that tonight.

I'm hoping it's more of a "hey write a bunch of batch scripts for us" kinda thing but I'll take the $20/hr no matter what

Well take my recommendation with a grain of salt. Hiring managers apparently still haven't got the message that the job market isn't what it was in 2008 and you can't ask for a master's degree, 10+ years experience and a dozen high-level certifications and expect a glut of applications for $35k/year.

I'm recently back in the job market (just had my position eliminated) and I've had a number of recruiters call, talk about how great my qualifications are and how I'm a shoe-in for whatever position but then say "by the way, you have a CCIE, right?" at the end of the call.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Yeah, this is for a student internship and it's pretty competitive up here thanks to all the auto suppliers. glassdoor says the minimum for an intern is $23/hr so that sounds super awesome to me since right now I make $16

I can't wait to graduate and make $texas while living $michigan

T-Square
May 14, 2009

This weekend I banged an ex and it wasn't weird, shot guns with the payroll lady at work and her husband and 8 year old son (he said my .22 was cool looking so I let him shoot it :kimchi:), and just about finished up fixing the water pump leak on my E30. Tossed a gallon of coolant in it, because that was all that I had on hand, but so far it isn't dribbling out of the bottom of the water pump like it was before. Refinished the valve cover, which is currently drying. Will probably throw that back on tonight or tomorrow, then it should be good to go after I replace the leaky oil pressure switch. :toot:

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

CommieGIR posted:

That is my office setup, the weekend is the only time I get to bring servers up or down for maintenance. We needed as larger storage array, so we bought this guy.

THIS, is my home setup:

Holy poo poo dude! That's loving sweet.

T-Square posted:

This weekend I banged an ex and it wasn't weird, shot guns with the payroll lady at work and her husband and 8 year old son (he said my .22 was cool looking so I let him shoot it :kimchi:), and just about finished up fixing the water pump leak on my E30. Tossed a gallon of coolant in it, because that was all that I had on hand, but so far it isn't dribbling out of the bottom of the water pump like it was before. Refinished the valve cover, which is currently drying. Will probably throw that back on tonight or tomorrow, then it should be good to go after I replace the leaky oil pressure switch. :toot:
Discovered yesterday that the e36 fan clutch wrench doesn't fit the e30. What the gently caress.

14" booze chat:

My man.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Well you can borrow mine if you're near Milwaukee :v:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Tusen Takk posted:

glassdoor says the minimum for an intern is $23/hr

Jesus gently caress, I was working for HP at just under $20/hour as a full time/regular employee. Granted I got a company car out of the deal with a no questions asked gas card but still...I've recently come to the conclusion that I was being grossly underpaid and they did me a favor.

They offered me the "option" of interviewing for half of my old position (help desk only vs. help desk and system engineer) as a limited time employee through 2017, minus the car for a $3/hour pay cut. I told them to go gently caress themselves.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Apr 27, 2015

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Cat Terrist posted:

Statement still stands. FI on everything, replace ALL the carbs
You heard the man, everyone start grafting in chevy TBI setups

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Phone question: Ive never wanted or needed the latest and greatest, and usually upgrade my phone once its come down into about the $freeninetynine range. I'm currently rocking an iphone 4 non S, before that was a droid 4. I noticed my options this time were a 16gb Droid Maxx or for $50 a Galaxy S4 in white. Thoughts? All I basically use my phone for is macro taint photos and youtube, does an s4 have expandable storage? Is it worth the extra 50 over the Maxx for my needs and uses? The white color is a pretty strong negative for me but between the two if its simply an objectively better phone I can look past it.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
My wife has a S4 (free hand-me-down from a friend), it's still capable in the hardware department and does have external SD.

I'd say it all comes down to is a not-white phone worth $50?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Geoj posted:

Jesus gently caress, I was working for HP at just under $20/hour as a full time/regular employee. Granted I got a company car out of the deal with a no questions asked gas card but still...I've recently come to the conclusion that I was being grossly underpaid and they did me a favor.

They offered me the "option" of interviewing for half of my old position (help desk only vs. help desk and system engineer) as a limited time employee through 2017, minus the car for a $3/hour pay cut. I told them to go gently caress themselves.

there's a pretty significant shortage of cj's up here so like I always say, if you're willing to deal with some downsides the upsides are pretty decent

like the low end sweng up here makes $75-90k depending on what they're doing

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
So I just had a potentially terrible idea. I've got the remains of a Honda Elite 50(?)cc two stroke scooter sitting around. Would it be feasible to Frankenstein some of it into the early Chinese mini chopper? Some fucknut hacked out 90% of the chopper's wiring and only left the most basic of the ignition and starting circuit intact. I'm thinking that maybe I could nick most of the Honda's loom to graft in. I wish I could steal the brakes too but that seems a bit difficult.

Comedy option: Straighten out the handlebars on the Honda and stuff an old two stroke lawnmower motor in it and use it also for bush bashing.

Option three is sell off any parts that are worthwhile on the Honda. Forgot to mention, it's missing the cylinder barrel / head and some trim.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Geoj posted:

My wife has a S4 (free hand-me-down from a friend), it's still capable in the hardware department and does have external SD.

I'd say it all comes down to is a not-white phone worth $50?

Its actually 50 and the white phone, the maxx is black and free. So two points in its favor with a strong negative being if I was reading the sign correctly no expandable storage. I hate having to pick and choose which music makes the cut. But ghe white phone aspect is because as a mechanic everything i own gets blasted by grit and oil and it shows up a thousand times faster on white.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

T-Square posted:

Well you can borrow mine if you're near Milwaukee :v:

Did you pick yours up from ebay? Some other specific retailer?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Geoj posted:

HP... They offered me the "option" of interviewing for half of my old position (help desk only vs. help desk and system engineer) as a limited time employee through 2017, minus the car for a $3/hour pay cut. I told them to go gently caress themselves.

I'd say you made the right choice.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

DICKPOCALYPSE NOW posted:

You heard the man, everyone start grafting in chevy TBI setups

GM TBI: replacing carbs because gently caress carbs.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Its actually 50 and the white phone, the maxx is black and free. So two points in its favor with a strong negative being if I was reading the sign correctly no expandable storage. I hate having to pick and choose which music makes the cut. But ghe white phone aspect is because as a mechanic everything i own gets blasted by grit and oil and it shows up a thousand times faster on white.

Are you getting these phones on contract?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Tusen Takk posted:

there's a pretty significant shortage of cj's up here so like I always say, if you're willing to deal with some downsides the upsides are pretty decent

like the low end sweng up here makes $75-90k depending on what they're doing

If I didn't have a mortgage tying me to the NE Ohio area I'd give it serious consideration. I've always enjoyed visiting the Detroit area and it's close enough to where the rest of my family is to make it practical.

The Locator posted:

I'd say you made the right choice.

A month into funemployment and this is the feeling I'm getting. My stress level is down 90%...the client I was working help desk at (Goodyear) was full of themselves and asked us questions like "can you refurbish our end-of-life equipment that we were too cheap to renew the service contract on or replace to the same specifications as the OEM?" and "why can't you treat every issue like it's an emergency?"

Ah, I read it as "S4 is $50, Maxx is $100."

I will say that if you throw the S4 into a decent case and use a screen protector the phone should look like new in a few years. When I turned my work-issued S3 in (which had spent it's entire life in an Otterbox) it appeared to be brand-new and the only major problem was the power button was flaking out. Also in the positive aspect field for the S4 is end-user replaceable battery and you can take it apart to replace individual components (like the camera or charging port) with a #00 phillips screwdriver which is good for longevity.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Apr 27, 2015

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

mariooncrack posted:

Are you getting these phones on contract?

Yeah, but I've been on a Verizon family plan with the same phone number since 2003 at a fairly decent price, and Verizon has pretty great coverage. So I wasnt seeing any reason not to, and like I said even subsidised I dont want or need a $200 next gen wonderphone.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Went on a big bike ride yesterday with a group and then they had a party after for the participants. Things got a little out of hand with an ice luge, full beer cans being cut open with power tools, then closing down a bar and going to some other party down the street. But then it was a bunch of younger people dancing to strange music and I just wanted to go to sleep, despite the attractive college girls. A guy from out of town didn't know how to get back to where we were staying so I stuck around and then finally convinced him it was time to go to bed. He crashed his 10k carbon bike in the driveway and also lost his phone at some point. Pretty fun night, but I feel like poo poo today. And old.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Yeah, but I've been on a Verizon family plan with the same phone number since 2003 at a fairly decent price, and Verizon has pretty great coverage. So I wasnt seeing any reason not to, and like I said even subsidised I dont want or need a $200 next gen wonderphone.

They still offer the S4? I understand that you don't want the latest and greatest but the S4 is two years old now. It may work today but with another possible update, if it gets one, may cripple the phone. Newer apps will become more demanding as time goes on and I can't imagine that the S4 will age gracefully.

I'd say if you're going to get a phone on contract, get a phone that's no older than 1 generation behind. I'd recommend a S5 or maybe a HTC M8. I'm on ATT so I don't know too many things about Motorola phones. I don't really trust them tbh after my last Motorola phone never got a single update and the one that was planned got canceled on the last possible day. This was years ago and things may have changed.

EDIT: You should check out those Verizon Edge plans. Sometimes, you can end up a little ahead when buying the phone after the two year contract. You don't need a top of the line phone but if you're going to be using it everyday all day, maybe it's better to get something better.

mariooncrack fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Apr 27, 2015

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I just found out online reviews say the Droid Maxx has wireless inductive charging and if thats true of the model they have discounted thats simply too bad rear end to pass up, final nail in the S4 coffin :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

jamal posted:

Went on a big bike ride yesterday with a group and then they had a party after for the participants. Things got a little out of hand with an ice luge, full beer cans being cut open with power tools, then closing down a bar and going to some other party down the street. But then it was a bunch of younger people dancing to strange music and I just wanted to go to sleep, despite the attractive college girls. A guy from out of town didn't know how to get back to where we were staying so I stuck around and then finally convinced him it was time to go to bed. He crashed his 10k carbon bike in the driveway and also lost his phone at some point. Pretty fun night, but I feel like poo poo today. And old.

Nah, you'll only start to feel old when you pass on the party opportunity, go home to watch tv and go to bed :v:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

leica posted:

Nah, you'll only start to feel old when you pass on the party opportunity, go home to watch tv and go to bed :v:

Where does it put me on the scale if I pass on the party to drink alone with my cat?

T-Square
May 14, 2009

SuperDucky posted:

Did you pick yours up from ebay? Some other specific retailer?

I ordered mine off of Bavarian Autosport, I think it's something like $30 or $35.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Where does it put me on the scale if I pass on the party to drink alone with my cat?

I dunno, there's a fine line between being anti social and/or old. I find the older I get the less tolerance I have for other people. Especially drunk people.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

When I was at the Wings game I realised that I've been avoiding huge crowds for years and prefer to just hang out with the same friends I've had since I was 16 and usually just prefer to stay home with my wife and do nothing

the most I do is have my brother over to play NHL 15 and drink

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

I just found out online reviews say the Droid Maxx has wireless inductive charging and if thats true of the model they have discounted thats simply too bad rear end to pass up, final nail in the S4 coffin :v:

You can add wireless charging to the S4 .

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Tusen Takk posted:

When I was at the Wings game I realised that I've been avoiding huge crowds for years and prefer to just hang out with the same friends I've had since I was 16 and usually just prefer to stay home with my wife and do nothing

the most I do is have my brother over to play NHL 15 and drink

The Lightning are gonna win game 6 and take it back to Tampa to finish the job. Just sayin ;)

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

leica posted:

The Lightning are gonna win game 6 and take it back to Tampa to finish the job. Just sayin ;)

Mrazek has shut out Tampa twice (almost three times) in the post season and once in the regular season. Datsyuk is god and St Petr is his prophet :colbert:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Geoj posted:

You can add wireless charging to the S4 .

You can add a super battery to the S4.

http://zerolemon.com/product-category/samsung/galaxy-s4/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh my god I can't stop farting.

• Locked thread