Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Wish the lighting was a little better on this one.

Juvie Grouse on the Lek 2014 on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
drat, I really wish I got to see more grouse.

I finally got a chance to go birding this morning. I was targetting a few uncommon species rather than doing photography, but this Robin popped up and gave me a nice look while I had my camera on me.

Clearcut - American Robin by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

This one is a lovely photo, but it's a nice demo of what the Sigma 150-600mm can do. The birds were about 150ft up this tree which was another 100-150 feet away from me. Bluebirds are rare in this part of the state, so I wanted a documentation photo. I wouldn't have even bothered with my 100-400mm, but I was able to crop it a bit and actually get something good enough to attach to my eBird checklist.

Kellog Lake Western Bluebirds by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

polyfractal
Dec 20, 2004

Unwind my riddle.
Wow...lots of great stuff in this thread since I last checked. Need to revisit the last couple pages more closely to look at all the great shots.

I've been too busy to do any bird photography lately. Managed to sneak away for a few hours last week, now that the frozen hellscape is starting to melt. Beautiful morning...which was completely ruined by a thick fog rolling of the half-frozen lake as soon as the sun came up. Oh well, at least it was warm(ish) :)

Ospreys and other hawks have largely returned to the area, which is nice to see. After giving up on the lake, I noticed these near the road on my way home (a lot of farmers have nest poles scattered around). Had to post-process my way through the fog, which is why the shots look a bit janky

Osprey coming home by zacharytong, on Flickr

Home-life by zacharytong, on Flickr

I see you... by zacharytong, on Flickr

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Hit up a local marsh this afternoon. Light was pretty harsh, but a few birds were cooperative.

Northern Rough-Winged Swallow
by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Marsh Wren 1

Marsh Wren 2

Bewicks Wren

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Beautiful shot.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

I love the look of the beak in this one.

Hawks are starting to show up again in my area; was driving down the highway on Tuesday saw 2 on top of lamp posts within a 3-5Km stretch, didn't have my camera with me that day. Yesterday I do have my camera with me at the same time of day, have great light, and of course, no hawks, only crows on top of lamp posts :(

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Nice grouse, wrens and Osprey on this page. I'm about to take a trip down to the Bay Area, and hopefully fit in some time to go birding at the Coyote Hills Regional Park, which I've never visited despite living 30 minutes away from it for most of my life.

I went out with a wider lens to capture shorebirds flocking at Arcata Marsh. The Marbled Godwits and the few other species that flock with them were especially lethargic that evening, but the last wave of them to leave Klopp Lake to feed on Humboldt Bay gave me the shot that I was hoping to get.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1fiUw3qESw

While I was filming a Great Blue Heron looking for voles the day before, a Northern Harrier flew by doing it's breeding display, which involves doing a bunch of dips and backflips.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhtT1SdOoJE

polyfractal
Dec 20, 2004

Unwind my riddle.
More ospreys! Used a blind for the first time, it was great. Just a simple DIY bag blind with some die-cut leaf blind material, draped over my camera and tripod. I sat inside of it at first, but visibility was too limited, so I ended up just using it as a screen between myself and the ospreys. Seemed to work pretty well. The birds knew I was there and kept an eye on my location, but seemed more at ease. I think they forgot sometimes too, because they would frequently scan over my area...then occasionally stop and do the Osprey-Look at my blind as if they just remembered it was there and there might be something inside moving around.

The male was all :huh: today and kept landing on the female. But I'm not sure he knew how it's supposed to work...he kept landing on her upper back and just standing there? Didn't look like an effective position...

DSC09949.jpg by zacharytong, on Flickr

DSC09956.jpg by zacharytong, on Flickr

He also caught a fish but refused to share with the female, no matter how much she peep'd at him.

DSC00008.jpg by zacharytong, on Flickr

Her begging must have irritated him, since he flew off to a nearby tree to eat by himself.

DSC00143.jpg by zacharytong, on Flickr

Finally, got my first in-flight bird poop! :derp: This was actually a third osprey that started to harass the nest, trying to steal the male's fish. Lots of shrieking, swooping and chasing each other. Ended with the male chasing it off, then circling the area reeeeeeeally high making a high-pitch keening sound. Eventually it stopped circling and remained in one spot hovering, shrieking, still holding his fish :3:

DSC00211.jpg by zacharytong, on Flickr

polyfractal fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Apr 12, 2015

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Those are beautiful shots, polyfractal. I haven't had any luck finding the ospreys around Seattle!

A few from this morning of little birds:

600mm, ISO 800, f/8, 1/2000s

600mm, ISO 4000, f/8, 1/1600s

600mm, ISO 4000, f/8, 1/1600s
Yeah, kinda blew the highlights on this one

600mm, ISO 1400, f/9, 1/2000s

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Kenshin posted:

Those are beautiful shots, polyfractal. I haven't had any luck finding the ospreys around Seattle!

They just migrated in since the beginning of April so keep an eye out. They love to nest on those big cell phone towers, but finding one within photographic range can be hard.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
Went out after work, I still suck but I did get one good shot.

TDH_9877.jpg by Shrieking Muppet, on Flickr

Barry White by Shrieking Muppet, on Flickr

Anyone know what these two love birds are? Upstate NY area sounded like their was about 30 in a small patch of reeds.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Killdeer

They'll do a great "FOLLOW ME I'M CRIPPLED LOOK AT MY BROKEN WING" act if you wander close to their nest. A Killdeer nest is a pretty weaksauce thing, just a bit of a scrape in gravel / sand with a bit of fluff / dried grass underneath the eggs. They get in trouble because they like to build their nests in piles of soil or gravel that have been piled up for construction purposes.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

ExecuDork posted:

Killdeer

They'll do a great "FOLLOW ME I'M CRIPPLED LOOK AT MY BROKEN WING" act if you wander close to their nest. A Killdeer nest is a pretty weaksauce thing, just a bit of a scrape in gravel / sand with a bit of fluff / dried grass underneath the eggs. They get in trouble because they like to build their nests in piles of soil or gravel that have been piled up for construction purposes.

Neat, these ones seemed to just fly away when I got near but I was trying to avoid what I thought was their nest. Maybe next time I'm over there I will get closer.

TheMirage
Nov 6, 2002
Turns out the Kestrel are still around:

American Kestral by justincook5376, on Flickr

American Kestral by justincook5376, on Flickr

Went looking for Woodcocks as well, found impostors instead:

Wilsons Snipe by justincook5376, on Flickr

Some more:

Eastern Phoebe by justincook5376, on Flickr

Northern Flicker by justincook5376, on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
B&W male sage-grouse head shot 2014 on Flickr

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Sage-grouse are the Dandies of the bird world.

I just finished a biography of Beau Brummell last night, it's kind of on my mind. Beautiful shots by everyone, holy crap the quality in this thread is consistently sky-high.

EDIT:

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Apr 15, 2015

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ExecuDork posted:

Sage-grouse are the Dandies of the bird world.

I just finished a biography of Beau Brummell last night, it's kind of on my mind. Beautiful shots by everyone, holy crap the quality in this thread is consistently sky-high.

EDIT:

Awesome! Yup, male sage-grouse are approximately 33% 18th century aristocrat, 33% Voltron, and 33% chicken.

e: and 33% frog

BetterLekNextTime fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 15, 2015

polyfractal
Dec 20, 2004

Unwind my riddle.
Wheeee! Just saw a northern harrier skimming the field behind our house looking for rodents. Really fun to watch. And last night there was an american kestrel sitting on a fence post, snacking on a mouse. Yay spring!

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

I made some photos of a heron fishing in a canal this weekend. I'm quite pleased with them.

Full sequence here; I don't want to flood the thread.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

My computer's tied up rendering out a bunch of video for a screening/lecture tomorrow, but I have a ton of footage and photos from my Bay Area trip to process when it's over. In the mean time, here are a couple clips from some rookeries I visited during my drive home.

Great Egrets building a nest in Ruus Park (Hayward, CA)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0qqRhUVCqY

While most of the egrets and herons were still building nests or incubating eggs, this Cattle Egret at the 9th Street Rookery (Santa Rosa, CA) was getting its face eaten by hungry chicks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNp2oSoC62c

ntrepid
Oct 11, 2004
Uh..
Found some birds...took pictures of them.

I feel like my field technique and post-production work are starting to improve, so that's encouraging. I'm thinking about upgrading from my Canon 300mm F4 to the new Sigma 150-600mm F5 Sport lens. I'm going to rent one for a mid-May trip to Magee Marsh before I buy it. Does anyone have this lens and how do you like it? Anyway, here are some birds...

Tree Swallow

Long-Tailed Duck

Laughing Gull

Savannah Sparrow

Sanderling

Willet

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

ntrepid posted:

I feel like my field technique and post-production work are starting to improve, so that's encouraging. I'm thinking about upgrading from my Canon 300mm F4 to the new Sigma 150-600mm F5 Sport lens. I'm going to rent one for a mid-May trip to Magee Marsh before I buy it. Does anyone have this lens and how do you like it? Anyway, here are some birds...

The Sport's weight and size concern me a bit. It's already pretty rough trying to handhold the contemporary, especially when I'm shooting up. Jumping from 400mm to 600mm was a surprisingly big jump so from 300mm it will feel incredible. Have fun at Magee. I've always wanted to go there and had a shot this year, but I decided to hit the Texas coast instead. Seems like bird numbers are lower, but species diversity is higher.

ntrepid posted:

Long-Tailed Duck

Awesome shot. I wish they were more common locally where I am.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

ntrepid posted:

Tree Swallow
A swallow mid-flight? That's a hella impressive shot.

ntrepid
Oct 11, 2004
Uh..

Kenshin posted:

A swallow mid-flight? That's a hella impressive shot.

Haha - not pictured are the 900 shots that were out of focus.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

ntrepid posted:

Haha - not pictured are the 900 shots that were out of focus.
I assumed. :)

Two from this morning at Meadowbrook Pond, a small wildlife sanctuary next to a high school in Seattle.

Great Blue Heron

Song sparrow close-up

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Awesome shot. I wish they were more common locally where I am.

Lake Ontario at Toronto, there are hundreds, maybe more, all winter. And let me tell you, when you've heard hundreds of long tailed ducks singing their ridiculous "ow-owdle-ow" courting song in simultaneous chorus, nothing really quite compares. Love those guys, they really brighten up an otherwise dark dreary winter. It got to the point where I'd forget what they were called because I'd just call them ow owdle ows.

Oh and I got back from a trip to Queensland, Australia and am currently transferring and then processing something like 500 images and once I've finished sorting the wheat from the chaff (there's so much chaff), prepare yourselves for Aussie bird spam!

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 18, 2015

TheMirage
Nov 6, 2002

ntrepid posted:

I own the sport version. Yes, the size an weight are significant. I almost exclusively hand hold shoot it though. It starts to become a drag on the body after a couple of hours of lugging it around, but all and all it's not too bad. I feel the weight actually helps me stabilize the lens easier while hand holding. I upgraded to a 7D II recently, so I really wanted the weather sealing of the sport version to go with the increased weather sealing of the body. Here are some shots so far this weekend with it:

Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher by justincook5376, on Flickr

Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher by justincook5376, on Flickr

American Robin by justincook5376, on Flickr

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

It's been a long day and I'm way too tired to try to figure out what type of sparrow this is:
Sparrow by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Why I went out, check on the eagle's nest. It wasn't moving and I couldn't get a higher vantage point, I chased it's mate around for way too long but couldn't get a shot. Will try again in the summer once the eggs hatch and are fledgling
Bald Eagle by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

I think this is a Franklin's Gull
Franklin's Gull by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Buffleheads by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

neckbeard fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Apr 20, 2015

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

neckbeard posted:

It's been a long day and I'm way too tired to try to figure out what type of sparrow this is:
Sparrow by tylerhuestis, on Flickr
Looks like a Savannah Sparrow.

Two from today, both inadvertent but I like 'em.

My first Lincoln's Sparrow

Male Northern Flicker in the perfect lighting to see all his colorful feathers. Total "oops" picture as this was the last of a burst-shot series.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

That's a ruby crowned kinglet. You can even see a tiny bit of his crown in the second shot.

Also holy moly that Flicker!

TheMirage
Nov 6, 2002

hey santa baby posted:

That's a ruby crowned kinglet. You can even see a tiny bit of his crown in the second shot.

Also holy moly that Flicker!

Hey your right. I appreciate that. I didn't realize the crown was only occasionally visible.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

You guys have been posting some great stuff recently.

I've been pretty swamped with work lately, but I'm finally getting through all the photos from my Bay Area trip. Here are a few from Coyote Hills Regional Park and the Ruus Park rookery.

tree-swallow by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

cinnamon-teal-chrp by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

ge-plumes by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

ge-twig by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

se-twig by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

And some BCNH courtship from Santa Rosa's 9th Street rookery:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lz8TVWHww1k
"I am a poofed tube. Gimme some beak action now."

Moon Potato fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Apr 22, 2015

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Some owls for a change

Burrowing Owl
Backlit Cottontail Burrowing Owl 2044 on Flickr

Grumpy Great-horned Owl (on a nest)
Great-horned Owl, Castle Gardens 2019 on Flickr

ntrepid
Oct 11, 2004
Uh..
Neotropical migrants are beginning to arrive in West Virginia! Had a close encounter with an Indigo Bunting and Yellow-Throated Warbler today.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

ntrepid posted:

Neotropical migrants

Great shots and interesting subjects, but I have to say I read this initially as Neurotypical Migrants and was like 'ugh greeeaatt just what we need'.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Hooray Lightroom 6, D7200 support means I don't have to use Capture NX-D anymore so editing photos isn't painful.

I've been going back through all ~950 RAW files I took since I got the camera editing and culling in Lightroom. I'm sure I'll have a few more to share, but I really like this one:

ISO 1100, 600mm, f/8, 1/2000s

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Red-winged Blackbirds arrived in my area sometime within the past week, and it snowed today...

Red-winged Blackbird by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Northern Flickers by tylerhuestis, on Flickr
Northern Flickers by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

TheMirage
Nov 6, 2002
Great Bunting shots. Occasionally they're spotting around here. I hope I can find one this year.

Took the 400 5.6L out for the first time in a while this weekend. Been liking the 150-600S, but when I see the little bit of extra sharpness on the 400, it stops me from selling it:

Eastern Phoebe by justincook5376, on Flickr

Palm Warbler by justincook5376, on Flickr

This little one is right outside of my front door. I've been keeping an eye on the nest for the last month or so. I think this guy/gal is about 2 to 2.5 weeks old at this point. I'm not sure he can fly yet. The other egg fell out of the nest unfortunately. I'm going to keep an eye out to see if the parents go for another brood in the same spot.

Mourning Dove Fledge by justincook5376, on Flickr

Mourning Dove Fledge by justincook5376, on Flickr

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

They just stocked Freshwater Lagoon with trout, so I went to check out the Osprey activity yesterday. Three or four came out to fish during the course of the evening, which is down from the 6+ we had last summer. Hopefully there are just some late arrivals to the lagoons.

osprey-closeup by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

osprey-diving by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

osprey-sploosh by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

osprey-fish-gasp by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Some of the Double-crested Cormorants come over from their rookery on Stone Lagoon to fish for trout.

cormorant-landing by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Freshwater Lagoon's resident Great Blue Heron spent the evening chasing other Great Blue Herons away from the lagoon.

gbh-lagoon by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
There's a 400mm 2.8L for sale on keh for $2500. Someone talk me out of it.