Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ah, I see. Thanks. I guess that means invasions are still incredibly rare but are always technically possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Lots of people summoning for old iron king tonight in the 900k bracket. Seems higher than I would expect, but that is where the game tells me people are. Still, I am not waiting more than a minute or so between summons.

Playing "Sunny McSunbro" and spamming the hello carving while stabbing enemies with lightning. Good times. Loves me the heide knight weapons.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Manatee Cannon posted:

Ah, I see. Thanks. I guess that means invasions are still incredibly rare but are always technically possible.

I dunno. I got invaded like seven times in my first playthrough.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I'm kinda getting a heavy dose of analysis paralysis deciding what kind of character to build. Running around with just a fireman's axe is pretty fun but everytime I level up I stare at my pathetic 6's and wonder what it's like to make decisions.

Kinda tempted to just use this stupid axe forever.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Eh, pick something that sounds neat, and try it out. I am constantly making a steam of various gimmick characters with a name to match their gear. It isn't worth agonizing over one guy. Once you learn the game, you'll breeze through the content.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
What god do goons use for the name ring? I couldn't find it in the OP.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

GodFish posted:

What god do goons use for the name ring? I couldn't find it in the OP.

They don't? The name-engraved ring is something you wear when you're trying to match with a specific guy. Not enough people run around with it on all the time for you to be able to just equip it and get matched with other goons.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

fume knight :ssj:

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

They don't? The name-engraved ring is something you wear when you're trying to match with a specific guy. Not enough people run around with it on all the time for you to be able to just equip it and get matched with other goons.

Oh, I thought it locked you into god only summons forever for some reason. This makes much more sense.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Djeser posted:

fume knight :ssj:

fume knight :)

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
I finished killing Fume Knight with a sub-100k sm character yesterday. Mixed feelings, on one hand Im glad I know the fight inside and out now and relieved that it's over, on the other I generally regret my decisions in life and how long the torture of learning every cute glitchy trick up his sleeve took. Anyway, on to Sinh and Ivory King.

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007
There are lizards coming out of my tv.
What's a good sm range/location to get decently regular invasions? Red or blue doesn't matter, I'm just so sick of the bell towers, but I still want random pvp with zero input.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Manatee Cannon posted:

Unless they changed something since when last I played, lightning is the most resisted damage type in the game. Stuff like syan knights don't resist it at all but most things do.

Fire is the most resisted (courtesy of all of Iron Keep and anything standing in water). It's a bit of a tie between Lightning and Magic for "least resisted." Magic has a few more enemy types that have Low/Very Low resistance (though they're usually one-shot enemies like Captive Undead), but it also has a few more enemy types that are High/Very High compared to Lightning (which is like Dark in its general "Medium" consistency, but with more enemies that it has an advantage over). Lightning is the overall winner on bosses.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Jaaam posted:

What's a good sm range/location to get decently regular invasions? Red or blue doesn't matter, I'm just so sick of the bell towers, but I still want random pvp with zero input.

I summon red phantoms endlessly near the first Iron Keep bonfire. Been doing it from like 400k SM to 4.5 million.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Used shadowplay to record my fume knight kill for this guy. It is kind of sloppy, but at least you can see what robflynnleo + sunlight blade + sacred oath does to him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyIrizyvcbg

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

To elaborate, after a load of co-op failures I fought him a bunch of times solo and slowly got better and better at dodging him, then finally got another co-op group together and once he powered up, I just let them all take care of him, essentially. Felt like a big squishy babby, but hey, if one of you dies, that's just a problem for you--if I die, that's a problem for everyone.

What's the best place to get Human Effigies? I ran out of vendor-sold effigies between dying to the Dark Chasm of Old and dying to the challenge run bosses in Sunken King and Old Iron King.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
PvP (git gud :smug: ). If you aren't built for that for whatever reason then your only real option is farming dogs in Bastille or the lurkers in Amana.

Depends what you want to use them for? The only real reason to ever needs lots of them is the Dark Chasm, if you just want to get human again then drop a small sign or go to that shrine in Amana (I've never had to use it) if you are completely empty on effigies.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The bewitched alonne sword's buff must be a huge damage multiplier or something. A few minutes ago I was hitting bellbros for 200 damage. I just equipped roblflynn and hit some poor sap with a buffed counter-hit R1 for 1000. This weapon confuses me.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Djeser posted:

To elaborate, after a load of co-op failures I fought him a bunch of times solo and slowly got better and better at dodging him, then finally got another co-op group together and once he powered up, I just let them all take care of him, essentially. Felt like a big squishy babby, but hey, if one of you dies, that's just a problem for you--if I die, that's a problem for everyone.

What's the best place to get Human Effigies? I ran out of vendor-sold effigies between dying to the Dark Chasm of Old and dying to the challenge run bosses in Sunken King and Old Iron King.

I had like 80-ish effigies by the time I beat Nashandra/Aldia (though hadn't done the DLC or the chasm yet). How the hell did you manage to run out?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Vil posted:

I had like 80-ish effigies by the time I beat Nashandra/Aldia (though hadn't done the DLC or the chasm yet). How the hell did you manage to run out?

Like he said, every time you want to do a Dark Chasm you need to spend one and every time you want to attempt the co-op areas of the DLC you need to spend one as well. I had tons of human effigies before either one of those and now I'm down to ten.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Yodzilla posted:

Like he said, every time you want to do a Dark Chasm you need to spend one and every time you want to attempt the co-op areas of the DLC you need to spend one as well. I had tons of human effigies before either one of those and now I'm down to ten.

Instead of using an effigy every time you die, just wear a ring of life protection. You can repair it for free with the magic tree in Shulva.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Dark Chasm does indeed cost a minimum of two effigies (plus one for each failure). Your first portal is free. Once you've beaten Darklurker it's always free to enter as well. I think on my first run ever through Dark Chasm a year ago, I used about five extra on top of that (most due to Darklurker, one due to not paying attention to what was walkable water and what was deathpit water in the Drangleic chasm). Darklurker still trips me up sometimes - he's kind of a jerk. The other enemies aren't bad as long as you don't get cocky.

The DLC co-op areas are a weaker argument for burning through effigies, though. You can still go solo, you don't have to re-human after every single death (ties in with the going solo) but only when your health starts getting problematically low, and even if you do want to tackle them with a group every time, you don't have to use an effigy to re-human. (Okay, I guess you do if you're playing offline and co-oping with NPCs.)

Hell, making a bunch of failed solo attempts makes them easier because you (eventually) extinct those drat reindeer or those drat dudes who block the way to the timed gates. (Cave of the Dead is not appreciably helped in this manner, since you cannot extinct those drat statues and the enemies themselves are relatively harmless.)

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

the boss run to cave of the dead cave squad is remarkably easy anyways since you can just run by everything and the statues tend to not do enough to petrify you

not that, uh, i needed to make that boss run a lot or anything

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

All of the co-op areas in the DLCs (except for sir alonne) are the kind of thing you force yourself to do once just to say you did it and saw everything in the game, but then never again. There is next to no reason to make yourself suffer through the awful things more than once.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I only beat the Gank Squad with the cheesiest of cheese. I would hit the graverobber guy 2 or 3 times with a poison spotted whip, then run in circles around the arena while he slowly died to the poison. Then I did the same to the archer guy. It doesn't work against Not-Havel because he has estus, but once the other two are dead he's not too hard.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Vil posted:

I'd have to pop effigies every so often to keep from losing too much HP, and I got help heading into most of the bossfights (and for some particularly hard areas, like Amana, the Black Gulch, or Sinner's Rise.) I think I usually had about ten to fifteen on hand throughout most of the game, and once I started getting my rear end kicked by Fume Knight and the Dark Chasm of Old, that dropped pretty quickly. I have at least despawned the guys between the bonfire and the shrine in Amana. I just don't know where I'd get more effigies now that I've looted most of the ones in the game, bought out all the ones that vendors sell, and co-op only gives you human form, not effigies. I guess I could try doing the thing where you trade masses of prism stones.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

It's true that loss of effigies is more a preventative measure (with such sage advice as "don't die in the first place" and more usefully "small white soapstone instead of popping an effigy to re-human") than a corrective one. Since it's true that many of the effigy sources are finite - you tend to get them in big piles when you get them, but they're still finite and one-time.

As far as a corrective measure, you can farm them from the lizard dudes in Amana. Throw on Agape Ring (optional, to keep SM from increasing during this), Covetous Gold Serpent Ring +1 (or +2 if you've killed NG+/ascetic gargoyles), other item-find gear (Watchdragon Parma, Prisoner's Tatters, your choice of the hats), and join the Company of Champions to temporarily reverse the extinction as long as you remain in the covenant.

You can also repeatedly ascetic the Majula bonfire and kill the mansion basement's ever-increasing number of skeletons (which don't respawn without ascetic, but have a 100% drop rate of effigies). Personally I'd just farm the poo poo out of Amana lizardmen though.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

If you're all the way to Amana, you don't even have to do that. Just go to the Rise of the Dead bonfire and touch the Shrine if you get too Hollowed and are flat out of effigies (unless you're invading a ton).

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!
What's the deal with Loyce souls? I've gotten 41 of them thus far, but for the last ten runs, if not more, I haven't seen a single loving one of them. It's like they just stopped dropping.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Djeser posted:

I'd have to pop effigies every so often to keep from losing too much HP, and I got help heading into most of the bossfights (and for some particularly hard areas, like Amana, the Black Gulch, or Sinner's Rise.) I think I usually had about ten to fifteen on hand throughout most of the game, and once I started getting my rear end kicked by Fume Knight and the Dark Chasm of Old, that dropped pretty quickly. I have at least despawned the guys between the bonfire and the shrine in Amana. I just don't know where I'd get more effigies now that I've looted most of the ones in the game, bought out all the ones that vendors sell, and co-op only gives you human form, not effigies. I guess I could try doing the thing where you trade masses of prism stones.

One of the lowest-effort ways to farm effigies is to host a "fight club" on the iron keep bridge. Throw some prism stones all over the place, equip your best fashion souls, attune Warmth, and summon as many red phantoms as you can. The reds will fight 2 at a time, and every time one of them dies you get the effigy and the souls. You just need to make sure to cast Warmth after each fight so the winner can heal up and fight again.

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
I know fire weapon got nerfed to 15% but did dark weapon CMW etc get the same??

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

I know fire weapon got nerfed to 15% but did dark weapon CMW etc get the same??

I don't think so. Dark Weapon etc. are balanced by the stat requirements. Flame Weapon was good on literally any character.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Charcoal pine resin adds slightly more fire damage than flame weapon does though, which is kind of sad.

I still kind of wish I could buy consumables without upping my soul memory. I would like to be able to buy huge stacks of resins and arrows.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Soul Memory is a real bad mechanic and I hope it never comes back like how it's done in Dark Souls 2.

Speaking of real bad, I feel like I'm about halfway through Ivory King and I'm really not sure how I feel about it. The enemies aren't all that interesting, I haven't found any cool new loot, and it's ugly as hell once the weather is gone. Also there's some janky as gently caress hitboxes on a lot of the new enemy attacks. This feels way off compared to Sunken King.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Yodzilla posted:

Soul Memory is a real bad mechanic and I hope it never comes back like how it's done in Dark Souls 2.

Speaking of real bad, I feel like I'm about halfway through Ivory King and I'm really not sure how I feel about it. The enemies aren't all that interesting, I haven't found any cool new loot, and it's ugly as hell once the weather is gone. Also there's some janky as gently caress hitboxes on a lot of the new enemy attacks. This feels way off compared to Sunken King.

The Ivory King DLC has the best two hats in the game. (The bell helm and the mimic hat.) The huge number of the "ice dude with sword" enemies is pretty boring, though.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

I feel you on Soul Memory as anyone who's read this thread will know by now. Luckily it already hasn't come back and Bloodborne uses the exact same matching system as Demon's/Dark 1.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Bloodborne hasn't managed to hold my interest like Dark Souls though. It is fun for a first playthrough, but there is a serious lack of variety. The game might as well be called "Bloodborne: Hitting Critters with Ludwig's Holy Blade".

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

All of the weapons are good enough to beat the game with and they all have a ton of variety in their movesets

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Alright, I've been farming Heide armour in the Tower of Flame, am I just unlucky, or is there somewhere else I should be looking for the helmet? I've got everything else in bulk, but no helmet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Mr Dog posted:

PvP (git gud :smug: ).

I've come to the conclusion that I just can't PvP in souls games any more. It's a game of inches and microseconds and the latency just straight up isn't consistent enough to support what it could/should be.

It's just a shame because when you get matched with someone pretty near you it feels amazing win or lose. No getting lag backstabbed or getting poked for damage when you're 20m away.