Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

This is probably my favorite picture from that whole event

"So, uh, actual non-Thunderchicken maintainers, how in the hell do you put real bombs on this thing?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
Why is it always A320s having all the fun?

http://www.airlive.net/2015/04/breaking-we-got-reports-of-plane-with.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&m=1

dietcokefiend fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Apr 25, 2015

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Well that’s one way to fly a plane.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

I'm guessing from the caption this was circa 1988? On a semi-related note, does anyone know, are the serials of Thunderbirds aircraft actually painted anywhere externally?

e: And on an also-related note, as I understand it, the aircraft used by the PLAAF's demo team are specially-built for that purpose, and can't as far as I know, actually be armed up like this. Which is a bizarre, but frankly also quite Communist Chinese idea.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Blimey that was a bit sketchy.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Uncontained engine failure that damaged right main gear?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

hobbesmaster posted:

Uncontained engine failure that damaged right main gear?

I don't think it's that. The A320's engine is a long ways ahead of that section. If it was a turbine disk that failed, most of the damage would be to the leading edge of the wing.

In this case, it sounds like they had some sort of hard landing, went around and tried again. If there was some sort of failure in the main landing gear the damage would manifest itself in the general area of the damage in that photo.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

MrChips posted:

I don't think it's that. The A320's engine is a long ways ahead of that section. If it was a turbine disk that failed, most of the damage would be to the leading edge of the wing.

In this case, it sounds like they had some sort of hard landing, went around and tried again. If there was some sort of failure in the main landing gear the damage would manifest itself in the general area of the damage in that photo.

So it may not have been "engine on fire" but "hydraulic system ruptured with burning hydraulic fluid spraying into the exhaust stream" on the videos?

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

e: And on an also-related note, as I understand it, the aircraft used by the PLAAF's demo team are specially-built for that purpose, and can't as far as I know, actually be armed up like this. Which is a bizarre, but frankly also quite Communist Chinese idea.

Why would it be bizzare? They needed airframes for aerial display, and probably just marked a few airframes on the production line for it- why bother with all the weapons hardware? AFAIK the Red Arrows fly purpose built non combat capable specially uprated engine Hawks, and I imagine a bunch of other nations have similar arrangements

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yeah I imagine the Thunderbirds (do the Blue Angels do it too?) only run combat-capable aircraft to stave off the cries of "ARE TAXPAYER DOLLARS!!" from people who hate fun.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

DesperateDan posted:

Why would it be bizzare? They needed airframes for aerial display, and probably just marked a few airframes on the production line for it- why bother with all the weapons hardware? AFAIK the Red Arrows fly purpose built non combat capable specially uprated engine Hawks, and I imagine a bunch of other nations have similar arrangements

Besides, all the pictures of 'August 1st's J-10s that I can find look like they still have weapon hardpoints to me.

e:

this one even seems to still have PL-9s (edit2: fins aren't right for a pl-12, looks like a pl-9 or pl-10) on the rails:

SybilVimes fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Apr 25, 2015

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Man the Pickle Suit looks like it was a hella comfortable uniform.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
The Blues will probably be the last USN unit still flying the F/A-18C...there are only six squadrons left, vs 30 or so for the Super Hornet. It's been the Navy's C-list fighter for about 2 decades already, so it doesn't really matter if they can fight or not. They'll be the last to get any combat upgrades (ie, radar), if they ever receive them at all. But yeah, they can be modified back to combat standard (they basically have the same modifications as the T-birds).

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

So it may not have been "engine on fire" but "hydraulic system ruptured with burning hydraulic fluid spraying into the exhaust stream" on the videos?

Oh there was engine damage; apparently the aircraft rolled hard right about 100 feet AGL and touched down hard, damaging the landing gear and engine on the right side. The crew went around on one engine and landed, at which time the right main gear collapsed.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

thanks, this was a good read. And I was noticing it specifically with United numbers making no sense - good to know they're the worst offender (or ... whatever) so I wasn't just making it all up.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
The Chanute Air Museum in Rantoul, Il is closing it's doors for good in December.

Their collection has been steadily cannibalized over the last 20 years to keep the lights on, and apparently not quite enough. It is a really weird empty museum, in a ghost town. If you are in the middle of Illinois with nothing else to do (and you do have nothing else to do, it is Central Illinois, right?) it is worth a look, and very possibly your best bet to get to third base in a Minuteman training silo, if that was an ambition.

No word on what is happening to the collection, but I'd be willing to go halvsies on the F-105, if the price is right.

http://www.aeromuseum.org/index.php/2013-02-06-20-03-26/aircraft

Expect the B-58 and XB-47 to have no trouble finding good homes, but some of the other big/unnotable stuff seems like it would be hard to shift.

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Apr 25, 2015

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

Slo-Tek posted:

The Chanute Air Museum in Rantoul, Il is closing it's doors for good in December.

Their collection has been steadily cannibalized over the last 20 years to keep the lights on, and apparently not quite enough. It is a really weird empty museum, in a ghost town. If you are in the middle of Illinois with nothing else to do (and you do have nothing else to do, it is Central Illinois, right?) it is worth a look, and very possibly your best bet to get to third base in a Minuteman training silo, if that was an ambition.

No word on what is happening to the collection, but I'd be willing to go halvsies on the F-105, if the price is right.

http://www.aeromuseum.org/index.php/2013-02-06-20-03-26/aircraft

Expect the B-58 and XB-47 to have no trouble finding good homes, but some of the other big/unnotable stuff seems like it would be hard to shift.

All the ones I checked say " This aircraft is on loan to Octave Chanute Aerospace Museum from the National Museum of the United States Airforce.", so I assume the Air Force Museum will take them back?

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

I see a decent number of aircraft that should have no trouble finding homes, others that shouldn't but will anyway, and others that really should be put airborne again. Getting a Warning Star on the airshow circuit wouldn't be out of the realm of financial possibility.

I'm down to go halfsies with someone on the Cargomaster or Stratofreighter as a camper. Or, hell, even the Albatross. I need a boat.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The CAF needs an airworthy C-130, imo.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Took a lovely photo of an awesome engine today - I'm sure everyone can guess what it is.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

blk posted:

Took a lovely photo of an awesome engine today - I'm sure everyone can guess what it is.

SR-71?

Also the X47B refueled on it's own a few days ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIRwsOG_AYQ

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

NightGyr posted:

All the ones I checked say " This aircraft is on loan to Octave Chanute Aerospace Museum from the National Museum of the United States Airforce.", so I assume the Air Force Museum will take them back?

Seems like it would make the most sense for the AF Museum foundation to just take over the rent and security, and abandon-in-place. Hangar space in Rantoul is going to be cheaper than hangar space pretty much anywhere else in the world. Can't imagine they'd want to spend the money to cart anything but the best bits to clutter up the storage in Dayton or Silver Spring.

Though the Smithsonian doesn't have a Hustler. Wonder if they could squeeze one in to U-H.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Maybe they can just hit up Udvar-Hazy for another hangar.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
I remember going to Udvar-Hazy when it opened. I came back almost exactly 10 years later and was stunned how much more stuff there was.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I moved from Virginia before Udvar Hazy opened. :( I remember before that reading the shuttle Enterprise was in a hangar in Dulles. I wanted to sneak out of one of those busses with the smokestacks and find it :v:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

MrYenko posted:

The CAF needs an airworthy C-130, imo.

This CAF certainly would take one ;)

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

They should ship some of those to Yankee Air Museum. We could use a Starfighter and a Thunderchief.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

They should ship some of those to Yankee Air Museum. We could use a Starfighter and a Thunderchief.

Hey, we used to have a Thud! It just, you know, melted. :v:

The Starfighter or Thud would be neat to have, though. Either one would go great along with the new plane we're getting from the AF. Starts with a Delta, ends with a Dart.

inkjet_lakes
Feb 9, 2015

DesperateDan posted:

AFAIK the Red Arrows fly purpose built non combat capable specially uprated engine Hawks
The Red Arrows Hawks were definitely combat capable up until the early-90's, when the aircraft would have had a point defence role if WW3 had kicked off, not sure when it was discontinued - there are plenty of pics of them flying with Sidewinders & gun pod mounted. Hopefully they'd have had chance to re-paint them before Ivan turned up.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Hey, we used to have a Thud! It just, you know, melted. :v:

The Starfighter or Thud would be neat to have, though. Either one would go great along with the new plane we're getting from the AF. Starts with a Delta, ends with a Dart.

Oh man, no way! I hadn't heard we were getting a Dart! That's pretty rad. Did you see that the Saber-D is back from the rehab center? Just needs a shiny new paint job. And, yeah. I remember the old Thud. *pours one out for the old hangar*

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

As a child I had a couple of die cast metal fighter jets (as did all kids my age, I lived in Washington State and my dad worked for Boeing..), they were about 3-4" long I think. What "scale" are these? 1/72 scale seems to be too big, are they about 1/114 scale? That seems to be the next size "down" from what I can tell.

I found this 1:100 scale X-47B which looks like a close competitor

http://www.flyingmule.com/products/IT-48165

Also looking for a baseball sized Dragon cargo spaceflight capsule, I have not been able to find one of those. Googling "dragon die cast model" does not turn up any... good search results, ahem,

I did find the X-37B from "dragon models" however

http://www.flyingmule.com/products/DM-50377

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Oh man, no way! I hadn't heard we were getting a Dart! That's pretty rad. Did you see that the Saber-D is back from the rehab center? Just needs a shiny new paint job. And, yeah. I remember the old Thud. *pours one out for the old hangar*

The new building's starting to resemble the old hanger with all the stuff we're sticking in there. The 106 is gonna be a tight fit, to say the least, especially since they're keeping the -86L and -84F indoors permanently now that they've started getting their new paint schemes. It'll definitely be interesting once we get over to the new building, since they're planning on fitting the -52 in there and that's gonna be an interesting job, to say the least.

Also, have some pictures of the ol' Sabre in transit:

Ah, the good ol' days.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Acebuckeye13 posted:

The new building's starting to resemble the old hanger with all the stuff we're sticking in there. The 106 is gonna be a tight fit, to say the least, especially since they're keeping the -86L and -84F indoors permanently now that they've started getting their new paint schemes. It'll definitely be interesting once we get over to the new building, since they're planning on fitting the -52 in there and that's gonna be an interesting job, to say the least.

Also, have some pictures of the ol' Sabre in transit:

Ah, the good ol' days.

So, wait. Are you a volunteer over there? I'm a member, and I bring my daughters in to touch airplanes every so often. I'd like to volunteer, but I don't really have the time to really dedicate to it.

I haven't been out there (I'm in Detroit) in about a month. And, yeah. It's getting real tight in there. I wish the Air Force wasn't the no-fun club and allowed people to sit in the Phantom like you can (can you still?) sit in the Thunderflash and Saber-D.

We did go up to Selfridge a couple weeks ago, though. The Scorpion they have there is looking real good with its new paint job.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Hadlock posted:

As a child I had a couple of die cast metal fighter jets (as did all kids my age, I lived in Washington State and my dad worked for Boeing..), they were about 3-4" long I think. What "scale" are these? 1/72 scale seems to be too big, are they about 1/114 scale? That seems to be the next size "down" from what I can tell.

I found this 1:100 scale X-47B which looks like a close competitor

http://www.flyingmule.com/products/IT-48165

If this does not produce results, try asking the scale model thread.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

So, wait. Are you a volunteer over there? I'm a member, and I bring my daughters in to touch airplanes every so often. I'd like to volunteer, but I don't really have the time to really dedicate to it.

I haven't been out there (I'm in Detroit) in about a month. And, yeah. It's getting real tight in there. I wish the Air Force wasn't the no-fun club and allowed people to sit in the Phantom like you can (can you still?) sit in the Thunderflash and Saber-D.

We did go up to Selfridge a couple weeks ago, though. The Scorpion they have there is looking real good with its new paint job.

Yeah, I've been a docent for about two years (Amongst other things). I only live 15 minutes away, so I'm there multiple days a week, and it's pretty entertaining to say the least. Unfortunately, you can't sit in either the 'Streak or the Sabre right now, since they're both being painted and they'll probably have the cockpits sealed up for much of that process. I do believe they are planning to open them up after they're finished getting painted, though!

I need to get out to Selfridge, since I've never been there. Air Zoo too, since it's been a looooooong time since I was there last and I haven't even been to their new building yet. I just graduated from college, though, so I should have plenty of time before I head out to DC for grad school.

reddeathdrinker
Aug 5, 2003

Scotland the What?

inkjet_lakes posted:

Having been lucky enough to see the Vulcan display a few times in the early 90's, I can only imagine how awesome it would have been to watch a Black Buck raid take off - 11 Victors & 2 Vulcans in close succession :psyduck:

I can go a bit better - I remember the Vulcan at the RAF Leuchars air display back in the early 80's when it was still in service... They fly it so gently now by comparison. Imagine a Vulcan pulling an F-16 style take-off and climbing turn at full thrunge. I blame him completely and utterly for me turning out such an aviation geek... Bear in mind these are all 80's, and scanned from film.

Here's some of my dads photos...

Shackelton AEW.2 at RAF Leuchars. 80,000 rivets flying in close formation, or my favourite - 8 screws will always be better than 4 blow-jobs...

USAF F111 doing a dump and burn at RIAT many, many years ago...

Chinook HC.1 carrying a Landrover 101 with towed Rapier system at RAF Leuchars

Short Sandringham on the Solent

5 Hercules C.1's, same year as the F111

Phantom FG.1 at RAF Leuchars - 111 Sqn

Red Arrows at Aberdeen beach, flying Folland Gnats at olden-days safe flying levels (before they got the Hawks they currently fly, so photo is pre-1979)

British Airways S61 rescuing seamen from the Polish trawler Nurzac that ran aground just north of Aberdeen in 1974

A Bristows Wessex, back in the early days of North Sea oil (circa 1974). The buildings in the background were Aberdeen airport!

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Oh, nice. Next time you see a bearded dad in a black Spirit of Detroit hat with either a five year old or a two and five year old in tow, come over and ask if I've got stairs in my house. We usually come in on Fridays and Saturdays now.

Yeah, I figured they wouldn't have them opened while they're being restored, but I'm glad to hear they will be eventually. The interactive nature of YAM's exhibits is one of the museum's biggest selling points. I mean, the tsarinas love the KC-135 flight deck, and have flown a whole lot of sorties in it bringing gas to pilots.

Selfridge is really, really rad. They have a real good variety of airframes, some cool interactive stuff inside (ATC console, Viper and Corsair training cockpits, Link trainer, quarter-fed moving engine cutaway, etc), and a C-130A and a P3 outside in the airpark that are powered, lit, and manned with docents. Also, it's four bucks to get in, kind of a steal. Oldest tsarina and I hit the Air Zoo last month for her birthday. That new building is suuuuuuuuuuuuuuper nice, and the old building is now just stuffed with a bunch of disorganized aeronautical ephemera. It's like a cross between a good air museum and a hoarder's basement in there.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Man I wish someone would refit a 102 or a 106 so they're flyable. They're my favorite Cold War fighters, lovely worthless Falcon missiles and all.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Man I wish someone would refit a 102 or a 106 so they're flyable. They're my favorite Cold War fighters, lovely worthless Falcon missiles and all.

I'm with you, man. I have a real soft spot for the entire weird, unloved, largely worthless Century Series. I mean, hell, the Starfighter is my favorite fighter plane of all time, and the first really real grown up airplane model I ever built was a 1/48 Thunderchief. I did see a flying Super Saber once at Thunder Over Michigan, it was glorious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Excuse me the F-106 had the best air-to-air weapon ever devised. :colbert: