Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
The toll is officially at 18.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

FordPRefectLL posted:

lol what the gently caress do you even do

get hit by tons of snow and hope you don't die

also hope the sherpas are okay

the other people though don't care

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
A google exec is easily worth 20 normal person deaths

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

A google exec is easily worth 20 normal person deaths

25 if soylent was also involved

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
They should haul a huge boat over the mountain like Werner Herzog in that movie.

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Personally, I think it's problematic that a sitting Senator has a racial slur for a last name.

lmao @ the video, those cheeky bastards like "haha, oh, the ground is shaking!" only to look up

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Fumble posted:

:goonsay:
Have you ever looked at the fucker?

http://www.theguardian.com/travel/interactive/2012/dec/20/mount-everest-zoom-2bn-pixel-image

zoom in and follow the path up, its stunning and is anything but unremarkable.

Have you ever watched a documentary about climbing everest?

You literally walk all the way to the top and hope you don't get frostbite.

Ogive
Dec 22, 2002

by Lowtax

blowfish posted:

25 if soylent was also involved

Oh, that'd be fuckin' perfect. "Dude Bro, we're live-blogging the climb of the world's highest mountain, powered only by the righteous power of Soylent! what's that noise?" *dies horribly*

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
that photo is awesome

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Ogive posted:

Oh, that'd be fuckin' perfect. "Dude Bro, we're live-blogging the climb of the world's highest mountain, powered only by the righteous power of Soylent! what's that noise?" *dies horribly*

lmao

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I don't want more people to die but witnessing history like this unfold is always morbidly interesting.

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

im sure all the people who are regulars itt already know, but this guy owns and pretty much runs up mountains that kill nearly half the people who make it to the top.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gVkWlr_Yog

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

If things turned out so that K2 was actually the tallest mountain, could the same tourist industry build up there as it did with Everest? Or is K2 just too dangerous for these google execs and amateurs

I'm pretty sure the first commercial climb of K2 was last year.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

Cojawfee posted:

Have you ever watched a documentary about climbing everest?

You literally walk all the way to the top and hope you don't get frostbite.

The carefully laid out weeks in advance tourist route doesn't actually go straight up the face of Everest does it, they only cross over to the everest peak after camp 3.

You should be proud that mankind was able make it trivial, but you have to admit that if someone was to tackle the direct route up, only using everests face it would be far from a casual stroll.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Necros posted:

im sure all the people who are regulars itt already know, but this guy owns and pretty much runs up mountains that kill nearly half the people who make it to the top.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gVkWlr_Yog

Jesus, this related video is insane. He's just trucking along with no ropes to save him as casually as most people walk down the sidewalk, and one little fuckup means he'll have plenty of time to think about what went wrong while he's falling for a mile. I got a little queasy watching it.

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
whats a good and cool everest documentary i can see on netflx or hulu

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

incredibly late but hahahahahahaha gently caress you fuctifino you worthless poo poo

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Frankenstyle posted:

Jesus, this related video is insane. He's just trucking along with no ropes to save him as casually as most people walk down the sidewalk, and one little fuckup means he'll have plenty of time to think about what went wrong while he's falling for a mile. I got a little queasy watching it.

Careful with that praise -- he's the evilest white man on Everest according to some of the GBSers here.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
How long until we get Everest street view, in honor of dead google man..?

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

whats a good and cool everest documentary i can see on netflx or hulu

Skip Everest and watch The Summit, K2 Siren of the Himalayas and Touching the Void. Cool down with the extremely early 90s K2 movie featuring Michael Biehn.

Nuclear Pogostick
Apr 9, 2007

Bouncing towards victory
Anyone wanna one-up me?

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

Frankenstyle posted:

Holy poo poo he did the whole mountain in under 3 hours that's absolutely insane.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

gannyGrabber posted:

How long until we get Everest street view, in honor of dead google man..?

Google recently put up a really cool view of the Khumbu region area. Which is now sort of sad to browse through, isn't it.

I always thought it'd be really neat to visit one of those Everest inns and not climb the drat thing, but just take in the amazing view of the Himalayas as I vomit into a bag from altitude sickness.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
any good documentaries about annapurn or other non-everest mountains?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

keevo posted:

Don't think this video has been posted yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JC_wIWUC2U

That is some goddamned poo poo :stonk:

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Nuclear Pogostick posted:

Anyone wanna one-up me?

boom bitch what next

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

LorrdErnie posted:

Holy poo poo he did the whole mountain in under 3 hours that's absolutely insane.
He goes fast because he doesn't want to suffer.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Holy poo poo, is that Ueli Steck free soloing the murderwall?

I am only an armchair mountaineer, but I'm pretty sure that is completely loving insane.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

He's climbed it like 140 times, but yea, he's loving insanely good at what he does.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
whats the gbs opposition to steck? that eiger climb is insane and he must have ridiculous trust in his grip and his equipment

those hooks look weak like dentist tools

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

Madcosby posted:

whats the gbs opposition to steck? that eiger climb is insane and he must have ridiculous trust in his grip and his equipment

he is rich and white

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Madcosby posted:

whats the gbs opposition to steck?

he's denying us his go pro death footage with every climb, but soon

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

canadianclassic posted:

he is rich and white

So sad. That was Three Olives downfall too.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Madcosby posted:

They picked a fight with a bunch of sherpas and murdered 19 before they were finally kicked off the mountain by yetis.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Fumble posted:

Have you ever looked at the fucker?

http://www.theguardian.com/travel/interactive/2012/dec/20/mount-everest-zoom-2bn-pixel-image

zoom in and follow the path up, its stunning and is anything but unremarkable.

I've been looking for that image. Does anyone know the mountain and icefall well enough to do a little MSPaint job indicating where the avalanche came from, how far down the glacier the snow came, etc.?

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Madcosby posted:

He was the guy who got in a fistfight with some Sherpas a couple years ago, right? They were fixing lines for the commercial climbing groups, and he waltzed past them and knocked some snow/ice onto them, and things escalated.

He comes off as kind of an rear end in a top hat in those stories, but he definitely knows what the gently caress he is doing.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I remember in Touching the Void, Joe Simpson talks about how solo climbers are kinda taboo in the climbing world, but I cant remember the logic behind why

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Madcosby posted:

A bunch of sherpas beat him up last year? on Everest because allegedly he was climbing above the crew doing the lines and kicking snow into them

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Wasabi the J posted:

Careful with that praise -- he's the evilest white man on Everest according to some of the GBSers here.

gently caress that; Ueli is amazing, and entirely against perpetuating any kind of sherpa exploitation since he's not interested in anything but his own mad kind of self-supporting alpine assault.

Madcosby posted:

Of course, he did get in a fight with a group of sherpas, after knocking ice on them from up above, while doing his own thing.

Current status of Camp 1 and 2 has most of the remaining people on C2 now down to C1 awaiting the first heli evac window on the 27th between 0700-1200hr. I'm guessing they'll just ferry them to BC as quickly as possible, as there is ~100 people to move, with most only having 1-2 days of supplies remaining.

The man in charge of the evac from C1 is Captain Dick Gale, and I approve of his name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Why? The earthquake is over

A bit late but after an earthquake of this magnitude the aftershocks will last a couple of years at least, slowly decreasing in magnitude over time from the initial tremor.

• Locked thread