Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

I haven't been following this story closely, but Is there any real difference between the supposed deals being done with Clinton Foundation scandal and foreign companies, and any other situation that's been allowed under Citizens United?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Relentlessboredomm posted:

He said he knew when a joke was staying in when his wife would gasp as he read them to her. That is one of the best comedy sets about politics I've ever seen.

The thing that always gets me is the audience reaction. No one's quite what to make of this guy napalming the President for fifteen minutes.

Rygar201 fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Apr 27, 2015

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

"Cadet Kirk, after the way you cheated on the Kobayashi Maru test I oughta punch you in tha face!"

Rygar201 posted:

The thing that always gets me is the audience reaction. No one's quite what to make of this guy napalming the President for fifteen minutes to

The most annoying part was how the media afterward unanimously declared that Colbert "bombed" because nobody in the audience was laughing at an entire routine of jokes at their expense.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Limbaugh was contacted by this guy and was running with this as PROVEN FACT given to you by the smart and glorious Rush Limbaugh a few weeks ago. With no evidence but a bunch of "Well a guy in an AA meeting said a guy with Harry Reid's brother's name came in and said he fought his brother! This was proof!". Also he said that Pfeifer wouldn't come on because he was afraid of the Reid Machine if I remember correctly. The article is wrong about how it was reported, Limbaugh, in his slimy way, was definitely pushing it as fact. It's always fun to see their house of lies collapse around them.

KiteAuraan fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Apr 27, 2015

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

KiteAuraan posted:

Limbaugh was contacted by this guy and was running with this as PROVEN FACT given to you by the smart and glorious Rush Limbaugh a few weeks ago. With no evidence but a bunch of "Well a guy in an AA meeting said a guy with Harry Reid's brother's name came in and said he fought his brother! This was proof!". It's always fun to see their house of lies collapse around them.

Yeah, but you're talking about Limbaugh, the guy who launched into a rant about Obama attacking Christians when the news came over the wire that the US was sending troops to fight the Lord's Resistance Army.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

KiteAuraan posted:

It's always fun to see their house of lies collapse around them.
Yeah man! That guy totally proved that bloggers and radio talk show hosts generally do not have high editorial standards.

This is truly the straw that will bring conservatism crashing down and usher in Full Communism.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Mr Interweb posted:

I haven't been following this story closely, but Is there any real difference between the supposed deals being done with Clinton Foundation scandal and foreign companies, and any other situation that's been allowed under Citizens United?

Well the Clinton Foundation is a global charity that does some decent NGO style third world charity work whereas Citizens United has nothing to do with that.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

Carrasco posted:

"You can ask him anything, but he's going to say what he wants at the pace that he wants. It's like boxing a glacier. Enjoy that metaphor, by the way, because your grandchildren will have no idea what a glacier is."

They really had no idea who they were inviting, did they.

"This is a man who believes the same thing on Wednesday that he did on Monday... no matter what happened on Tuesday."

"Now I know that it's true that only 30% of people approve of the job he's doing... but doesn't that mean that 70% of people approve of the job he's not doing?"

Straight-up ballsiest comedy I've ever seen, ragging the President out to his face and all he could do was sit and wear an increasingly strained smile while his wife turned into the proverbial white-hot ball of incandescent rage.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

duz posted:

Well the Clinton Foundation is a global charity that does some decent NGO style third world charity work whereas Citizens United has nothing to do with that.

Well what I mean is how Clinton getting money from some corporation(s) any different than any other politician getting donations from other corporations?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Mr Interweb posted:

Well what I mean is how Clinton getting money from some corporation(s) any different than any other politician getting donations from other corporations?

The governments of Algeria, Qatar, Kuwait, Australia, Norway, the Dominican Republic, and Oman are not corporations and the Clinton Foundation is not a campaign PAC.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Joementum posted:

The governments of Algeria, Qatar, Kuwait, Australia, Norway, the Dominican Republic, and Oman are not corporations and the Clinton Foundation is not a campaign PAC.

Is Hillary using any Clinton Foundation funds for her campaign at all? Most sources flipping about her taking foreign money seem to have been pretty mum on that, so I can't help but think the answer is no.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

KiteAuraan posted:

Is Hillary using any Clinton Foundation funds for her campaign at all? Most sources flipping about her taking foreign money seem to have been pretty mum on that, so I can't help but think the answer is no.
It's a charity, so that would be hella illegal.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

KiteAuraan posted:

I'm sure she isn't in exactly the same way that PACs run by a candidate's brother-in-law are totally unconnected to his presidential campaign and definitely don't share money or coordinate on strategy.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

KiteAuraan posted:

That would result in the Clinton Foundation losing its 501(c)(3) status and probably an FEC investigation. So no.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I'm sure she isn't in exactly the same way that PACs run by a candidate's brother-in-law are totally unconnected to his presidential campaign and definitely don't share money or coordinate on strategy.
You are a moron.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Except that I am 100% sure the Clinton Foundation is not going to spend millions running issue ads in Iowa.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Jagchosis posted:

You are a moron.
The governments of Algeria, Qatar, and Kuwait are deeply concerned about humanitarian issues and that is the only reason they would donate huge sums of money to the family foundation of a candidate for US President.

Wouldn't want to second guess the philanthropic motives of literal slave states.

Edit: I don't think Hilary Clinton is stupid, so I doubt anything provably illegal will happen.

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Apr 27, 2015

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Rent-A-Cop posted:

The governments of Algeria, Qatar, and Kuwait are deeply concerned about humanitarian issues and that is the only reason they would donate huge sums of money to the family foundation of a candidate for US President.

Wouldn't want to second guess the philanthropic motives of literal slave states.

The Clinton Foundation is prohibited by law from advocating for a political candidate, that money cannot be used to further her campaign in any way. Plus politically its retarded, her PACs will raise more money than God anyway.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Edit: I don't think Hilary Clinton is stupid, so I doubt anything provably illegal will happen.

And BP et al. donate quite a bit of money to all sorts of conservation projects despite being planetary vampires.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Rent-A-Cop posted:

So do you have any actual proof or evidence to back up the accusations of fraud and embezzlement that you're making here?

E: Oh, I see now: Muslims donated

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Jagchosis posted:

The Clinton Foundation is prohibited by law from advocating for a political candidate, that money cannot be used to further her campaign in any way. Plus politically its retarded, her PACs will raise more money than God anyway.
Like I said, nothing illegal will happen. I won't believe for one second the Emir of Qatar gives a flying gently caress about drilling wells in Africa though.

joeburz posted:

And BP et al. donate quite a bit of money to all sorts of conservation projects despite being planetary vampires.
And I'm sure it's because deep down they feel bad and not in any way an attempt to dodge taxes and/or curry favor.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Like I said, nothing illegal will happen. I won't believe for one second the Emir of Qatar gives a flying gently caress about drilling wells in Africa though.

And I'm sure it's because deep down they feel bad and not in any way an attempt to dodge taxes and/or curry favor.

i dont happen to know exactly why they do it, just that people, corporations, and nations give money for weird reasons that aren't always an exact quid pro quo

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
If you think that the donations to the Clinton foundation are about influencing the 2016 election, you should perhaps hit up Google and read an article about it.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Joementum posted:

If you think that the donations to the Clinton foundation are about influencing the 2016 election, you should perhaps hit up Google and read an article about it.
I don't believe corporations or Gulf petro-monarchies are even capable of acting philanthropically so I can only assume the donations are about influence. What other explanation is there?

Am I too cynical in this case?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the night, “In order to be an effective president ... when you say something you have to mean it. You gotta kill em.” ~ George W. Bush

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I don't believe corporations or Gulf petro-monarchies are even capable of acting philanthropically so I can only assume the donations are about influence. What other explanation is there?

Maybe that's why they donated, during her time as Secretary of State, but you'd still have to prove they got anything from it. The accusation that Hillary is cozying up to such actors is mildly amusing since the rap on her so far has been that she's too eager to intervene militarily against such states.

Anyway, the next President of the United States is going to be a 'friend' to the Gulf states and that was always going to be the case whether they gave a few million to a charity or not.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Rent-A-Cop posted:

To create the illusion of acting philanthropically?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Rent-A-Cop posted:

People can be horrible evil rulers and still give to charity; Dick Cheney gives millions to charities every year.

It's possible that maybe they're choosing the Clinton Foundation to kiss up to her and benefit from goodwill, but the idea that one of the best domestic fundraisers in politics today has to go begging to trade favors to foreign governments for charitable donations that will illicitly spend on her campaign is pretty out there. Absent some proof, it's indistinguishable from any other nonsense invented by her opponents over the years like front running cattle futures or murdering aides.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

VitalSigns posted:

It's possible that maybe they're choosing the Clinton Foundation to kiss up to her and benefit from goodwill
That's all I'm complaining about anyway. I don't think Hilary needs foreign money for her campaign or is dumb enough to think she could get away with taking it. Likewise I don't think anyone who's job title is "Sheikh" genuinely supports the Clinton Foundation's work empowering women and girls globally or just throws money away without expecting a return.

Even if that return is just some unquantifiable goodwill from a powerful American political apparatus I still find the entire situation disgusting.

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Apr 27, 2015

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Saying that the Clinton Foundation will wink-wink nudge-nudge campaign for her under the radar and that's why these donations are bad is an implicit accusation that Hillary's selling out to them though.

She's not Dinesh D'Souza; she's way too well-financed via conventional means from evil horrible people on Wall Street for it to make any sense for her to commit felonies to get a bit more advertising money from evil horrible oil princes. The perfectly legal lobbyists and donors that got Bill Clinton to disembowel Glass-Steagal and deregulate derivatives trading did way more damage to this country than anything the Emir of Kuwait could ever do.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Likewise I don't think anyone who's job title is "Sheikh" genuinely supports the Clinton Foundation's work empowering women and girls globally or just throws money away without expecting a return.

I mean, fine, but that is in no way the foundation's fault

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
We all know the true story about How Reid lost his eye. Hellboy shot it out in after ambushing Reid and his bicameral chicken leg house in a cemetery outside Kursk.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Joementum posted:

Quote of the night, “In order to be an effective president ... when you say something you have to mean it. You gotta kill em.” ~ George W. Bush

That whole article is one big :staredog:

Caros
May 14, 2008

Ballz posted:

That whole article is one big :staredog:

Is this the first time Bush has come out like this? I know Cheney has been jerking the warhorn for years, but it seems to me that Bush has largely been keeping his mouth shut and just painting.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Caros posted:

Is this the first time Bush has come out like this? I know Cheney has been jerking the warhorn for years, but it seems to me that Bush has largely been keeping his mouth shut and just painting.

He has, which is why I was pretty surprised those words were coming out of W's mouth and not Cheney's. But it was during a fundraiser, so I guess he felt more comfortable spouting out poo poo like that to the audience.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Rent-A-Cop posted:

The governments of Algeria, Qatar, and Kuwait are deeply concerned about humanitarian issues and that is the only reason they would donate huge sums of money to the family foundation of a FORMER US PRESIDENT

Anything dodgy can be deflected by Bill who is visibly active with the Clinton Foundation. She can use the Rick Scott excuse: "I am not involved with the day to day affairs of the entity in question, my spouse handles all of that."

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Joementum posted:

Usama Bin Laden? Don't know the guy. Now watch this drive.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Rent-A-Cop posted:

That's all I'm complaining about anyway. I don't think Hilary needs foreign money for her campaign or is dumb enough to think she could get away with taking it. Likewise I don't think anyone who's job title is "Sheikh" genuinely supports the Clinton Foundation's work empowering women and girls globally or just throws money away without expecting a return.

Even if that return is just some unquantifiable goodwill from a powerful American political apparatus I still find the entire situation disgusting.

So let's say you're in charge of the Clinton Foundation. Some Sheikh decides to write you guys a check. Do you (a) rip up said check, or (b) spend it on something empowering women to build wells in Third World countries or whatever? The only actual problem occurs if Clinton does/did some "pro quo" for that quid. Otherwise it's just a sheikh wasting his money. And I'm not hearing the evidence for the "pro quo".

It could be the case that they think donating gets them something but it doesn't, or just that they want to be seen donating to a prominent cause instead of a less-well-known one because of their ego.

There's also no particular rule that says Sheikhs are good investors or well understand Western culture. You're assuming this was a smart decision for said Sheikhs and it may not have been. There's not as much of a Darwinian process with Sheikhs like there is with CEOs or democracies or dictatorships - the ability to buy off your population with the oil revenue lets you get away with a lot.

Jackson Taus fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Apr 27, 2015

PerpetualSelf
Apr 6, 2015

by Ralp
Here's a simple explanation. Why would you not accept funds from a slave state to use at an agency that promotes freedom world wide including anti-slavery.

This whole concept that you can't take blood money from people is stupid. Give me your god damned blood money. I'll use it to stop the bleeding any day of the week.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Joementum posted:

Bush the Islamic State isn't Al Qaeda 2.0 at all you're getting all senile like Reagan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

PerpetualSelf posted:

Here's a simple explanation. Why would you not accept funds from a slave state to use at an agency that promotes freedom world wide including anti-slavery.

This whole concept that you can't take blood money from people is stupid. Give me your god damned blood money. I'll use it to stop the bleeding any day of the week.

Yeah but ~purity~

• Locked thread