Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008

Funky Valentine posted:

Any of Ragnar Lothbrok's sons (Ivar the Boneless, Halfdan Whiteshirt, Bjron Ironside, Sigurd Snake-In-The-Eye, and I think Ubba's landed somewhere) are workable once you sort out the England situation.

Though the go-to "Germanic shenanigans" choice is Haestinn, count of Nantes. You can solidify Brittany real early and then do some crazy island-hopping poo poo.

Ubbe is unfortunately an unlanded courtier in Halfdan's court.

Dareon posted:

... with additional appearances by Bjorn Ironside somewhere in Scandinavia...

Sweden...

And you are all forgetting Fairhair in Norway! A pretty great start for an intro to vikings. You have a fairly easy initial goal of unifying Norway, start young and have tons of time to do it. All while being incredibly safe due to not bordering any catholics and all the other major powers in the Norse world being busy with other things. From there you could go for the rest of Scandinavia, or start subjugating and conquesting the British Isles, or just raid to your hearts content without really having to worry about anyone kicking down your front door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Or you can be Erik the Heathen in 1066!

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

Byzantium is functionally the opposite of the rest of feudal Europe. Since you start with all of the legalism traditions of Rome (Imperial Admin/Duchy Viceroyalties/Medium CA), you don't have to deal with most of the bullshit of feudal vassals (Strategos will still factionalize and revolt, however). The main challenge of a Byzantine start is combating the powerful Arabian Caliphates that usually lust for your blood lands.

Start in 769 for the best advantages as the Byzantines, since then you have the highest tech levels on the map as well as only being rivaled in strength by the Abbasids.

Isn't 867 a better start, since the Islamic world is more divided?

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Isn't 867 a better start, since the Islamic world is more divided?

Honestly the Abbasids aren't a huge deal, since the Byzantines are easily capable of outmatching their military strength.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

Honestly the Abbasids aren't a huge deal, since the Byzantines are easily capable of outmatching their military strength.

Don't trust the numbers. Abbasids have horse archers naturally. As in, not cataphract retinues. Always mouse over their stack before engaging.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Don't trust the numbers. Abbasids have horse archers naturally. As in, not cataphract retinues. Always mouse over their stack before engaging.

eh, most of the time they'll come in through the mountaineous region of Armenia. Holding the Abbasids back is really not that hard.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Playing as the Byzantines and one of my doux dudes just made himself a king. Is that even allowed?

I may have set a bad precedent when I formed the kingdom of Jerusalem for myself so I could have enough piety to mend the schism.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Apr 27, 2015

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Excelzior posted:

eh, most of the time they'll come in through the mountaineous region of Armenia. Holding the Abbasids back is really not that hard.

It isn't, especially since they don't have nearly as many ships as Byzantium, but sometimes I forget and get my poo poo pushed in by a stack 5k smaller than mine.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I was speaking from experience, actually. In my current game as Byzantium I've been chain-holy-warring them and haven't so much as lost a battle yet.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

FreudianSlippers posted:

Playing as the Byzantines and one of my doux dudes just made himself a king. Is that even allowed?

I may have set a bad precedent when I formed the kingdom of Jerusalem for myself so I could have enough piety to mend the schism.

There's nothing stopping your vassals from creating titles that they qualify for, even in the imperial administration government type. You either have to create the title before they do, or start yanking counties away from the upstart vassal so he can't form it. I'm pretty sure if your vassals create the title then it automatically becomes a regular hereditary title rather than a viceroyalty.

You'll have to start creating kingdom-level titles eventually anyway, either because you've hit your vassal limit or because you're just loving sick of doling out duchy viceroyalties every five days as your doux(s?) kick the bucket. May as well get ahead of it.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Spakstik posted:

You'll have to start creating kingdom-level titles eventually anyway, either because you've hit your vassal limit or because you're just loving sick of doling out duchy viceroyalties every five days as your doux(s?) kick the bucket. May as well get ahead of it.

That defeats the purpose of having duchy-level viceroyalties though. There's a reason why that law requires Legalism 8 for non-Byzantine realms (Hint: it's very powerful).

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Yeah but if you get big enough you hit your vassal limit. If you wanna get any bigger then you have to start making kingdom-level viceroyalties.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

That defeats the purpose of having duchy-level viceroyalties though. There's a reason why that law requires Legalism 8 for non-Byzantine realms (Hint: it's very powerful).

As the Byzantines you already start within spitting distance of your vassal limit, though. It's either start handing out kingdom-level viceroyalties or stop expanding.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

TorakFade posted:

Yeah then Vikings it is. Who's the best starting character in Old Gods?

Haraldr of Ostlandet is basically easy mode. You start holding a 4 county Petty Kingdom and I have formed the kingdoms of Sweden, Norway, and Finland. Taken control of Denmark. Formed the empire of Scandinavia and reformed the Norse religion, all within his lifetime. Gavelkind can suck if he dies too soon, but he's really young with good stats.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Passenger Of poo poo posted:

I don't know but I saw it last night and it looks pretty neat.

Anyone have a trip report?

`Alright I played it for a bit. It's pretty good. The map is interesting, they managed to import custom models so there's space ships instead of horses running around. There's some pretty cool new mechanics and the factions are pretty well done. It's an incomplete mod, so there is a fair amount of missing tooltips. The custom portraits, models, and art are all pretty impressive though. There's new techs and buildings. The holdings are redone so a castle = a military fort. Didn't notice any spelling mistakes which is one of my biggest pet peeves with mods.

There's capital ships, fighters, bombers, etc. for your military units. I didn't get a chance to do a lot of combat but it looks interesting. A fighter unit is like 250 ships, and a destroyer is just the one ship, but the destroyer has attack/defense values in the 200s while the fighers are less than one.

The new tech system looks interesting, too. You can unlock cloning and clone yourself to get an heir. There's cybernetic implants to upgrade your attributes.

The vassal system is reworked into more of a military hierarchy. A duke is a fleet admiral, a count is a military commander, and so on. This means that there aren't any inherited titles, though. Pretty much everything is nominated by the president. I couldn't start as the leader of the faction I wanted to play since it was apparently a theocracy so I picked a duke. You have to have a capable heir to nominate as your successor or you'll get boned. My character died in combat and his heir was underage so my fleet admiralty went to another officer and I got a game over.

You can declare independence and be a space warlord but it seems like you need a pretty powerful military for that due to the way the levies are structured. I had like ~15-20 capital ships and 1000 fighters/bombers in my retinue and could raise about an equal force from my levies, but the president had a fleet with 880 capital ships in it.

It looks like you can redo the laws if you're in power to make it more of a feudal system, so as to more easily govern an expanding empire though.

Unfortunately I tried to reload an autosave after that and the game crashed. All my autosaves made it crash so I gave up and went back to my Byzantine game. It might just be an issue with autosaves, though.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Apr 27, 2015

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

Even more powerful than you think, considering viceroyal kings will manage handing out viceroyal duchies for you. There is no reason to not give viceroyal kingdoms when you get large.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
Do Viceroyal Kingdoms have a special Byzantine name like the Duchies though? Themes and Strategos really give the full immersive effect of being the byzantine emperor imo.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

They get Exarchs and Exarchates

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Moridin920 posted:

Unfortunately I tried to reload an autosave after that and the game crashed. All my autosaves made it crash so I gave up and went back to my Byzantine game. It might just be an issue with autosaves, though.
Make sure you have have Old Gods and Charlemagne disabled. They aren't compatible and cause a crash on loading a save.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Spakstik posted:

They get Exarchs and Exarchates

Oh wow, that's loving awesome. It's stuff like this that really makes this game shine for history nerds like me.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bloody Pom posted:

Make sure you have have Old Gods and Charlemagne disabled. They aren't compatible and cause a crash on loading a save.

Ah that might be it, I have both of those. Thanks.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
So for my Rise of Islam mod I decided that it was no good having Catholicism and Orthodox running amok, especially since this takes place before any Schism. I condensed it down to one religion; Nicene. In place I created traits to represent Orthodox, Papalic and Arian Christianity, sorta like the Muslim theology traits. Except for some reason everyone keeps switching their traits around so now I keep having the Patriarchs converting to Arianism. :stare:

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I guess this is going to be an weird game

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
So I need some help Goons. I'm working on the de jure set-ups for Spain in Rise of Islam and have a problem. See the Visigoths controlled a lot of Iberia in 610, but the current kingdom set-up is all kinds of hosed up. Too many kingdoms that will never exist in this period, like Portugal and Castille. My idea is to condense everything down to the following:

Key:
Light Yellow: Galicia
Yellow: Hispania
Dark Yellow (1): Vascones
Dark Green: Spania
Brown (2): Gallia/Narbonensis
Other colors can be ignored for now

Now my main issue is that Hispania is very big for a kingdom imo. I could expand Gallia/Narbonensis (whichever name works better) So it has more of Aragon's lands but that isn't very historical. Should I just leave Hispania alone and let the Visigoths deal with the consequences? The duchies are the same for now, but I might plan to split some of them up/piece some together. I know Gallia is a part of a French duchy and might need to get broken up to prevent constant warfare from the Franks for "de jure" borders.

Also I plan for Spania to get transformed into Andalusia when the Muslims invade, utilizing the Asturias to Léon event.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

So for my Rise of Islam mod I decided that it was no good having Catholicism and Orthodox running amok, especially since this takes place before any Schism. I condensed it down to one religion; Nicene. In place I created traits to represent Orthodox, Papalic and Arian Christianity, sorta like the Muslim theology traits. Except for some reason everyone keeps switching their traits around so now I keep having the Patriarchs converting to Arianism. :stare:

You might want to add a high piety component to switching traits, needing Cynical, or not having Zealous. If you can tie it to the AI's zeal factor, that might calm things down.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

You might want to add a high piety component to switching traits, needing Cynical, or not having Zealous. If you can tie it to the AI's zeal factor, that might calm things down.

I'll probably do that. Just found it funny that the Pope was an Orthodox and the Ecumenical Patriarch was Papalic for a moment. :allears:

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

So I need some help Goons. I'm working on the de jure set-ups for Spain in Rise of Islam and have a problem. See the Visigoths controlled a lot of Iberia in 610, but the current kingdom set-up is all kinds of hosed up. Too many kingdoms that will never exist in this period, like Portugal and Castille. My idea is to condense everything down to the following:

Key:
Light Yellow: Galicia
Yellow: Hispania
Dark Yellow (1): Vascones
Dark Green: Spania
Brown (2): Gallia/Narbonensis
Other colors can be ignored for now

Now my main issue is that Hispania is very big for a kingdom imo. I could expand Gallia/Narbonensis (whichever name works better) So it has more of Aragon's lands but that isn't very historical. Should I just leave Hispania alone and let the Visigoths deal with the consequences? The duchies are the same for now, but I might plan to split some of them up/piece some together. I know Gallia is a part of a French duchy and might need to get broken up to prevent constant warfare from the Franks for "de jure" borders.

Also I plan for Spania to get transformed into Andalusia when the Muslims invade, utilizing the Asturias to Léon event.

Portugal may not ever exist, but the Late Roman administrative provincial division of Lusitania used to in the near past of your scenario. Slap the rest of "Portugal" and the four provinces to its immediate east together and you have the rough shape of the Kingdom of Lusitania. Hispania would then take on a really wonky shape though.

Spiderfist Island fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Apr 27, 2015

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Spiderfist Island posted:

Portugal may not ever exist, but the Late Roman administrative provincial division of Lusitania used to in the near past of your scenario. Slap the rest of "Portugal" and the four provinces to its immediate east together and you have the rough shape of the Kingdom of Lusitania. Hispania would then take on a really wonky shape though.

And I just made the edits to the landed titles file. :negative: Welp, time to open it back up.

Although, that doesn't really mitigate the problem, it only adds another kingdom under the Visigoth's control. I think my main problem is the Visigoths hold Empire-like lands but are a kingdom.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
What program do you guys use to look at save files? I did some editing of one and it made my computer slower than molasses. Word refused to load the whole thing and even Wordpad and Notepad had trouble with the search function.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Darth Windu posted:

What program do you guys use to look at save files? I did some editing of one and it made my computer slower than molasses. Word refused to load the whole thing and even Wordpad and Notepad had trouble with the search function.

Notepad++ or go home (at least on Windows).

Though when lategame saves start to flirt with 200MB uncompressed even it will start to choke.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Confirming that on Windows Notepad++ is definitely what you want. But yeah, editing save files can take forever even if your computer is beefy, especially with mid-to-late game files.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Oh, and one more thing. Arians aren't Nicene. The Council of Nicaea was partially held to decide whether the Arians or the Non-Arians were right about the nature of Jesus Christ, and it decided that the Arians were wrong. IIRC, the Arians believed that Jesus was created by God and was the firstborn of Creation, but the Non-Arians (henceforth referred to as Nicenes) believed that Jesus was God, or at least of the same substance as God the Father. It's one of those debates that is really important to certain groups in Christianity but just confuses outsiders. (also please don't make me explain how Trinitarianism works :shepicide:)

Arians were considered heretics by the Nicenes and vice versa, so it's probably better to make it a heresy of the Nicene faith. Additionally, my quick research on Wikipedia tells me that the Arians only survived in North Africa by the time of the rise of Islam.

Mr.Morgenstern fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Apr 28, 2015

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

Darth Windu posted:

emacs

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

Arians were considered heretics by the Nicenes and vice versa, so it's probably better to make it a heresy of the Nicene faith. Additionally, my quick research on Wikipedia tells me that the Arians only survived in North Africa by the time of the rise of Islam.

Then I'll probably go back to calling it Orthodox then. The problem is that Arian isn't big enough to warrant its own religious head, and like you said, it only was big in North Africa (and some spots in Italy and Spain) at the time.

Ultimately I'm trying to cut down on ahistorical rebellions so the Byzantines aren't having to deal with Papalic/Arian rebels when it should only have to worry about the Persians. Which is why I made traits instead. At least I'm seeing why they haven't made a Great Schism event.

EDIT: What I could do is make Arianism a heresy and give it the College of Cardinals mechanics so it's unique from other Christian faiths. Only problem I foresee is Africa either being converted by the Byzantines, making Arianism a moot point.

GenderSelectScreen fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Apr 28, 2015

space kobold
Oct 3, 2009

Darth Windu posted:

vim :colbert:

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Then I'll probably go back to calling it Orthodox then. The problem is that Arian isn't big enough to warrant its own religious head, and like you said, it only was big in North Africa (and some spots in Italy and Spain) at the time.

Ultimately I'm trying to cut down on ahistorical rebellions so the Byzantines aren't having to deal with Papalic/Arian rebels when it should only have to worry about the Persians. Which is why I made traits instead. At least I'm seeing why they haven't made a Great Schism event.

I would suggest Chalcedonian as the description of the Roman state religion, to distinguish it from religious groups like the Oriental orthodox and Church of the East, who are Nicene Christians but considered separate churches from the Roman State Church. I don't think it's unreasonable to have Arianism be a separate Christian branch with it a religious head rather than a full-blown heresy of Chalcedonianism. Sure there might be a few rebellions which might themselves be ahistorical, but if it's a separate branch rather than a heresy I believe the revolt risk is lower, and overall since to begin with the Byzantines will be in control of all five holy sites province conversions should be possible, as happened historically, while the loss of the Patriarchies as Islam rises will chip that authority away until Iconoclasm starts appearing.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
So is this some sort of new bug in the latest CK2 build or am I just missing something glaringly obvious that has me at war/hostile to everyone in the world while at war with no one? It's an ironman game as well so no mods or anything like that, just looks like something somewhere broke in a horrible fashion.

As funny as it is decimating everyone with my 2k retinue stack for the first few years, the tides are starting to turn now that Byzantium's wandering around in the area. Hoping when my guy dies that will fix it, else welp gotta shelve my first game in forever and wait for the next patch.

Edit: it's funny as well since the game is very picky about which stacks it will/won't engage. Kingdom of Bavaria's armies won't engage mine, but Byzantium and Lombardy will.

Edit2: Quitting and restarting fixed it, guess that was a sign from God to quit playing for the day.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Apr 28, 2015

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
^^^ Yeah, that bug's been around for a while, just quit and restart and you're g2g. ^^^

Reveilled posted:

I would suggest Chalcedonian as the description of the Roman state religion, to distinguish it from religious groups like the Oriental orthodox and Church of the East, who are Nicene Christians but considered separate churches from the Roman State Church. I don't think it's unreasonable to have Arianism be a separate Christian branch with it a religious head rather than a full-blown heresy of Chalcedonianism. Sure there might be a few rebellions which might themselves be ahistorical, but if it's a separate branch rather than a heresy I believe the revolt risk is lower, and overall since to begin with the Byzantines will be in control of all five holy sites province conversions should be possible, as happened historically, while the loss of the Patriarchies as Islam rises will chip that authority away until Iconoclasm starts appearing.

I had edited my previous post before you posted so let me just repost that part first:

EDIT: What I could do is make Arianism a heresy and give it the College of Cardinals mechanics so it's unique from other Christian faiths. Only problem I foresee is Africa either being converted by the Byzantines, making Arianism a moot point.

So an idea I just thought of is making it work more like Miaphysitism with an Arian Pope while I keep Nicene or change it to Chalcedonian but only have the Papalic/Orthodox trait split. The traits help in keeping Rome listed as controlled by Ecumenical Patriarch on the religion tab instead of saying it's lost.

Passenger Of Shit
Apr 21, 2015
From the svibjod 767 start or w/e I've got Sigurd's martial to 31. I have the kingdom of Sweden only minus the one island I need boats for. What do I do now? I'm currently taking another holy site so I will have 2. I need to hold 3 to reform right?

Also how so I sack?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Holy gently caress there's nothing on the Vascones. No names, no anything, really. Gascony doesn't really count as they were always ruled by Franks and they're not in the same spot. This makes the Christian debacle look like a simple coding error. :gonk:

Time to make the Basque equivalent of John Doe I guess.

• Locked thread