Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

tezcat posted:

Right, look at the riots surrounding the anger at Pedophile Coach Sandusky being arrested. I mean it would be cool if they rioted to get that fucker arrested but instead they riot to defend a pedophile.
Exactly, the more anger it generates and the more white people are affected by this, the quicker a resolution is reached. The Baltimore PD could have conducted themselves like SLED and in turn generated an outcome beneficial to the community but instead conducted themselves like your typical PD more concerned with protecting officers than holding them responsible for deaths in their care.

Except it really isn't affecting many white people at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tezcat
Jan 1, 2005

Lowtechs posted:

Except it really isn't affecting many white people at all.
Of those businesses shown in the video are they black owned or white owned? The people -Troika- mentioned being assaulted, were any of them white? Remember, this has only started. No telling where it will end and what bodycount it will reach.

tezcat fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 26, 2015

lfield
May 10, 2008
When society treats people like poo poo, sometimes they treat it like poo poo right back.

It isn't always logical, or even conscious, behavior. They're probably not total idiots who think some store is responsible for police getting away with murdering black people, and deserves to have its windows smashed as retribution. The store just had the misfortune of being there when it was time to smash things.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Riots are stupid and evil, but that shouldn't be an excuse to ignore the behavior that caused them. We talk more about some broken windows than a dead guy.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

tezcat posted:

Right, look at the riots surrounding the anger at Pedophile Coach Sandusky being arrested. I mean it would be cool if they rioted to get that fucker arrested but instead they riot to defend a pedophile.

Not exactly, they rioted to oppose the firing of the guy who protected the pedophile.

:cripes:

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

-Troika- posted:

I'm sure that's very comforting to the random shop owners who's windows got broken and the motorists who were attacked by protesters, none of which had anything to do with the guy being protested about's death.

Riots like that don't happen because one guy got killed by the police, that's just the catalyst. What you're looking at is an outpouring of anger that has been building in Baltimore for years or decades. The African American citizens of Baltimore have long been victimized by BPD's culture of brutality and corruption, and neither the city nor the state has ever done anything about it. BPD is a garbage fire. Worse, Baltimore has spent decades and enormous sums of money on the Inner Harbor and Camden Yards sports complex--where that riot video was filmed--to create a playground for tourists, conventioneers, and yuppies, while over the same period they've neglected and ignored the sprawling slums that make up most of the city's area and population. Riots are bad, but hey, it's kind of fuckin' insane to spend billions of dollars building a shiny consumerist Potemkin village across the street from crushing Dickensian poverty, and then to police the boundary between the two by sending a wildly dysfunctional and corrupt BPD into those neighborhoods to beat, rob, and murder with impunity. It's no way to run a city, and if anything we should be surprised that it's taken this long.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

EvanSchenck posted:

Riots like that don't happen because one guy got killed by the police, that's just the catalyst. What you're looking at is an outpouring of anger that has been building in Baltimore for years or decades. The African American citizens of Baltimore have long been victimized by BPD's culture of brutality and corruption, and neither the city nor the state has ever done anything about it. BPD is a garbage fire. Worse, Baltimore has spent decades and enormous sums of money on the Inner Harbor and Camden Yards sports complex--where that riot video was filmed--to create a playground for tourists, conventioneers, and yuppies, while over the same period they've neglected and ignored the sprawling slums that make up most of the city's area and population. Riots are bad, but hey, it's kind of fuckin' insane to spend billions of dollars building a shiny consumerist Potemkin village across the street from crushing Dickensian poverty, and then to police the boundary between the two by sending a wildly dysfunctional and corrupt BPD into those neighborhoods to beat, rob, and murder with impunity. It's no way to run a city, and if anything we should be surprised that it's taken this long.

Ah yes, the Dickensian aspect.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

EvanSchenck posted:

And Baltimore is simply an extreme example of that situation. You have the same stuff happening to some extent or other in basically every city in America.

Fartmancer
Sep 17, 2004

I want to hug you like big, fuzzy, Siberian bear

nm posted:

Riots are stupid and evil, but that shouldn't be an excuse to ignore the behavior that caused them. We talk more about some broken windows than a dead guy.

Thanks for this.

Oh, we talmbout Baltimore? Let's talk about Baltimore.

There have been protests going for days about the death of Freddie Gray at the hands of the Baltimore City Police Day. The largest of these protests was scheduled for yesterday. It was a very large group of people, and for most of the day things were calm. Have a link about that: http://bmoreart.com/2015/04/downtown-baltimore-photos-of-peaceful-protest-for-freddie-gray.html

Also this:

https://www.facebook.com/ladymcquaid/posts/10155417785625063 posted:

A friend in at BCFD: his comment was this:
The protest itself was amazingly peaceful during the day. Around 8pm, a few people who were intent on causing problems broke off from the main group of protesters (while being discouraged from doing so by the peaceful protesters). About 300 people headed towards Camden Yards, destroyed a few cars, clashed with police, assaulted some people, and looted some businesses. Another 150 or so headed back towards Western District Police station where they threw rocks at police and set a few fires. I'd say 95% or more of the protesters were doing what I would support and even fight for: Peaceful assembly and dissent. These other two groups were probably opportunists who saw the situation as something to exploit and cause chaos and mayhem. Those people behaved shamefully. I'm actually proud of how the police handled the two areas of conflict. They created lines of officers that gently steered these two groups into smaller areas, did not do any mass arrests, and actually only sought out the the principle instigators/rock throwers, and snagged them out of the crowd for arrest. After a few dozen arrests were made, some of the peaceful protesters who managed to follow the two crowds managed to gain control of the groups and calm them down, at which point they began to disperse or simply stay and shout or chant.

There are always opportunistic assholes just looking to start some poo poo. There was a giant group of people fighting down in the inner harbor back on April 6th that barely made any news. And, of course, people are always trying to sell their own narrative on things.

And one more link with photos and stuff: http://www.addictinginfo.org/2015/04/26/baltimore-protest/

But, you know, uh oh :ohdear: some people sure did get rowdy.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Vahakyla posted:

http://yle.fi/uutiset/finnish_police_fired_guns_only_six_times_in_2013/7701005

Finland, population 5,477,359, firearm amount on a rough parity with the United States in per capita, but a smaller percentage of the population owns firearms. The statistic lies a little bit, due to sibling and children-firearm permits where people in the same household might share a hunting rifle despite only one person owning it. It's pretty common in the countryside to one of the parent's to own firearms, to which all the household members have access.

Can we stop with the really bad statistics? Compared to Finland the US has 50 times the population, twice the population density, and four times the murder rate.

And keep in mind the population density only comes as close as double because Alaska is like a third of the landmass of the US and has a .5 per sqkm density, Pennsylvania for example has close to 10x the population density of Finland.

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Apr 26, 2015

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
Well the story on fraudulent forensics and corrupt proprietorial practices is getting at least a little traction.

http://www.iflscience.com/technology/fbi-admits-using-flawed-hair-evidence-trials

quote:

In a harrowing report, the FBI and Department of Justice have admitted that more than 90% of examiners’ testimonies included in an extensive review contained flawed evidence based on a crude hair analysis technique.

http://www.alternet.org/civil-liberties/innocent-man-convicted-after-fbi-confused-his-hair-dogs

quote:

Washington D.C. – The FBI recently admitted that “nearly every examiner in an elite FBI forensic unit gave flawed testimony in almost all trials in which they offered evidence against criminal defendants over more than a two-decade period before 2000.” One of the most egregious cases to come to light thus far is the case of Santae Tribble, who served 28 years in prison after hair analysts couldn’t tell dog hair apart from human hair.

This is a terrifying assessment of this country’s judicial system. Many people are under the assumption that if they don’t do anything wrong, they have nothing to worry about. Innocent until proven guilty, as the saying goes. These findings show just about the opposite. They show that for absolutely no good reason, an innocent person can be arrested, put on trial and sentenced to death, and there is no justice system to help.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Sorry, the real story here is that someone broke a window. This is the true injustice that is worth scurrying out from under the refrigerator for.

Real talk, Jesus Christ. This reaffirms for me that we shouldn't feel any better when the feds step in to local or state issues, they're not actually any better :/

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Jarmak posted:

Can we stop with the really bad statistics? Compared to Finland the US has 5 times the population, twice the population density, and four times the murder rate.

I expect that's just a typo, but the US has something like 58 times the population of Finland.

E: How ironic

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Apr 27, 2015

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Darkrenown posted:

I expect that's just a typo, but the US has sometime like 58 times the population of Finland.

Yeah it was supposed to be 50

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME
I thought that was the number of times you could fit Finland into Jupiter.

Which also has a lower rate of police shootings than the US.

semper wifi
Oct 31, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fd2Ibw7wrvs

You know, I'm usually pretty sympathetic to gently caress the police but it's hard to get angry at Baltimore PD when this is how the residents behave.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

semper wifi posted:

You know, I'm usually pretty sympathetic to gently caress the police but it's hard to get angry at Baltimore PD when this is how the residents behave.

Yeah, hopefully they gave that loving thief a nickel ride and severed his spine. That will teach the community members to commit petty theft.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

semper wifi posted:

Lol you're in every cop thread being a dumb poo poo apologist, so nice concern troll

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

semper wifi posted:

Yep, that guy who got his spin severed should have thought about the rioting before he selfishly died.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I'm all about gently caress the police, they're just a bunch of fascist pigs stealing money from hardworking free men with bullshit traffic tickets and marijuana arrests.

But they are definitely not racist, whatever repression they deal out to the people of Baltimore is obviously well deserved.

-Every Libertarian

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

VitalSigns posted:

I'm all about gently caress the police, they're just a bunch of fascist pigs stealing money from hardworking free men with bullshit traffic tickets and marijuana arrests.

But they are definitely not racist, whatever repression they deal out to the people of Baltimore is obviously well deserved.

-Every Libertarian

In a truly free market poor black communities could simply hire their own police to murder the police that keep murdering them.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Literally an erotic true to life near future novella for libertarians: http://www.newyorker.com/humor/daily-shouts/l-p-d-libertarian-police-department

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

semper wifi posted:

Ok guys, hypothetically, i see guys like this and i cross the street am i racist? can you imagine what this group of boys would of done to you if you were an attractive girl walking alone?

Seriously though i dont know why the rambunctiousness is surprising anyone, baltimores one of the poor black cities that never got out of the nineties super murder fun time mode.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

If you've been feeling ambivalent about police violence because the victims have not been uh, white enough for you, pay special attention. BART police smashed the face of a Pretty White Woman while attempting to subdue her. Graphic content warning on the link.

The video is very shaky and it's really tough to make out exactly what happens other than a *smack* followed by silence and then "You might want medical". I am not familiar with the news source and there may be better sources out there.

e: This event happened in 2014 and I guess is now sort of popping up again because she is filing suit against BART and the city cops.

My Rhythmic Crotch fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Apr 27, 2015

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I know the solution to all these blacks Urban Youths. Instead of working to transform their home into a non-shithole and help them get educated, we should ride their asses and make sure to ticket them constantly for poo poo that most white people wouldn't get ticketed for. That will teach them to hold themselves to a higher st----pfffhahaha.

Really? Instead of helping people we're keeping them poor and taking people on nickel rides that literally kill them. I think that may be why people are angry running around and breaking poo poo.

afeelgoodpoop posted:

Ok guys, hypothetically, i see guys like this and i cross the street am i racist? can you imagine what this group of boys would of done to you if you were an attractive girl walking alone?

Because groups of white teens never-ever rape or beat anyone? What?

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

That girl at the end looks so excited to score a new hand bag :stare:

So what's the deal, are the cops not doing anything or decided to just let things simmer down before stopping this?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Enigma89 posted:

That girl at the end looks so excited to score a new hand bag :stare:

So what's the deal, are the cops not doing anything or decided to just let things simmer down before stopping this?
Likely a combination of being smart enough to know that they can only make it worse and waiting for the TV crews to get bored before they start cracking heads.

Edit: Stephanie Rawlings-Blake is smart enough not to go all Ferguson on Baltimore and torpedo any further political ambitions she may have.

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Apr 27, 2015

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
It's pretty crazy how pissed people are about the cops shooting down random black teens on the street and then when you look at youtube comments of these Baltimore protests/riots and the most upvoted ones are the most racist ones. Is Baltimore super racists or is Stormfront just voting in mass on these videos?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Enigma89 posted:

It's pretty crazy how pissed people are about the cops shooting down random black teens on the street and then when you look at youtube comments of these Baltimore protests/riots and the most upvoted ones are the most racist ones. Is Baltimore super racists or is Stormfront just voting in mass on these videos?
The only people who read/post YouTube comments are idiots. Idiots and racists have a lot of overlap.

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
Its a self selected interest. Funniest stuff i see from stuff like that are porn sites where most media gets barely any comments, but any black male/white female has thousands of racists meltdowns.

Also why any news article or study on marijuana on mostly commentless sites will have thousands by the stoner equivalent of the jidf.

afeelgoodpoop fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Apr 27, 2015

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Likely a combination of being smart enough to know that they can only make it worse and waiting for the TV crews to get bored before they start cracking heads.

Edit: Stephanie Rawlings-Blake is smart enough not to go all Ferguson on Baltimore and torpedo any further political ambitions she may have.

In the words of a friend who is a PG County po-po:

"Rawlings-Blake won't go all Baltimore in Baltimore when there are TV Cameras".

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

effectual posted:

^ Is Finland a pretty white country? Whites mostly get violent when they have someone else to hate.
I think the question is "Does Finland have a designated criminal/oppressed underclass?" Probably not. It's almost like having one is a recipe for civil unrest. (Note: The designation probably doesn't come from within the class)

nm
Jan 28, 2008

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

If you've been feeling ambivalent about police violence because the victims have not been uh, white enough for you, pay special attention. BART police smashed the face of a Pretty White Woman while attempting to subdue her. Graphic content warning on the link.

The video is very shaky and it's really tough to make out exactly what happens other than a *smack* followed by silence and then "You might want medical". I am not familiar with the news source and there may be better sources out there.

e: This event happened in 2014 and I guess is now sort of popping up again because she is filing suit against BART and the city cops.

If that happens in CA and you're not charged with a PC148 or 69 (resisting without or with force), the police did something they're trying to hide. They're trained to charge that because it creates lawsuit immunity and the das back them up almost 100% (unless they did something even the DA this was wrong).

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

GlyphGryph posted:

I think the question is "Does Finland have a designated criminal/oppressed underclass?" Probably not. It's almost like having one is a recipe for civil unrest. (Note: The designation probably doesn't come from within the class)

Finland has its own issues with racism, predominately against immigrants, but I don't think there's any analogue to black people in terms of a single racial group that gets constantly abused (to say nothing of being slaves until less than 200 years ago). The Sami suffer discrimination, but it's more similar to what's suffered by Native Americans over here; they lost all indigenous land claims and are intended to be integrated into Finnish culture, and have almost no representation in the government.

huge pile of hamburger
Nov 4, 2009

Devor posted:

Yeah, hopefully they gave that loving thief a nickel ride and severed his spine. That will teach the community members to commit petty theft.

Every one of these people should have been put away for life. Honestly how could you defend subhumans like this?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

watwat posted:

Every one of these people should have been put away for life. Honestly how could you defend subhumans like this?

Are you talking about the police who killed a dude or the angry robbers? It's hard to tell!

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Fartmancer posted:

There are always opportunistic assholes just looking to start some poo poo. There was a giant group of people fighting down in the inner harbor back on April 6th that barely made any news. And, of course, people are always trying to sell their own narrative on things.

In some cases it's actually undercover police trying to stir up the crowd to start a riot deliberately. Occupy apparently had issues with that. Here's a couple others. The police have also been accused of trying to incite crowds at more recent lefty things.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/12/12/1351145/-Undercover-CHP-Officer-pulls-Gun-on-Protestors-after-they-catch-him-inciting-Looting

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/feb/03/undercover-officer-major-riot-john-jordan

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Oh boy, this again.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

ToxicSlurpee posted:

In some cases it's actually undercover police trying to stir up the crowd to start a riot deliberately. Occupy apparently had issues with that. Here's a couple others. The police have also been accused of trying to incite crowds at more recent lefty things
Even the times theyve been caught on video doing these things dont count. Because.

Since Because you are a crazy conspiracy person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

There's plenty of other videos of "protesters" doing stupid, ignorant, violent poo poo in Baltimore this weekend, but this one had some "help". As I understand it from friends at the scene, the white folk over at Pickles (the bar on the left at the start of the video) were screaming friend of the family and assorted other insults at the "protesters", which is about the time they started dismantling the barricades and tossing poo poo at the bars. Most likely the crazy klepto redhead was involved because I've seen her in several places in various videos getting in assorted scuffles in places that were blocks away from each other. She appeared to be following the crowd around just to start trouble.

Not defending people breaking poo poo and stealing poo poo, but man, please don't escalate poo poo.

• Locked thread