Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Devil Tesla posted:

Sorry if I'm obnoxious about Ping Pong, I just really like it and thought it was uncool that someone was acting like if you don't like Ping Pong you're an idiot. No one is going to enjoy something if you introduce it like that and I want people to get as much joy out of watching Ping Pong as I did!
so not to make this a call out thread but how can you make this (good) point and then simultaneously shitpost about f/sn every single time it comes up

this isnt me trying to set you up for some sick own im just curious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I just really don't like it, like it feels so lifeless. It's like all this stuff that I think is cool in other anime series is in it but it's presented in such a wordy and flat way that it kind of messes with my mind, like if this is anime is amine actually good?

I think it's weird when fans recommend it when even a lot of fans admit that it's kind of terrible. I did go overboard in the fate thread and I deserved my proby for that but I don't think it's going too far when someone recommends a fate series to say "hay, actually fate is terrible". I do stay out of the way people just wanting to discuss the show because I'm not so broken that I care about people liking something I don't that much. Like I have friends who watch fate, it's not really a big deal.

Like I know that people are going to make up their minds no matter what I say but I think it's okay to disagree sometimes. I'll try to be less obnoxious about it in the future.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

instead of going 'fate is terrible' when people rec it, explain why you don't like it. just going 'fate is poo poo!!!' is a boring post that does nothing but annoy people. if someone asks for recs, and someone recs fate/stay night, you can explain what you see as flaws in f/sn and then people can actually have a discussion about what fate does/doesn't do well and what they do/don't like about it, and this will allow the person being recced it to come to an informed decision on whether or not to watch it.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I will only make Endorph-approved anti-fate posts in the future.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

thank you

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The Devil Tesla posted:

I just really don't like it, like it feels so lifeless. It's like all this stuff that I think is cool in other anime series is in it but it's presented in such a wordy and flat way that it kind of messes with my mind, like if this is anime is amine actually good?

I think it's weird when fans recommend it when even a lot of fans admit that it's kind of terrible. I did go overboard in the fate thread and I deserved my proby for that but I don't think it's going too far when someone recommends a fate series to say "hay, actually fate is terrible". I do stay out of the way people just wanting to discuss the show because I'm not so broken that I care about people liking something I don't that much. Like I have friends who watch fate, it's not really a big deal.

Like I know that people are going to make up their minds no matter what I say but I think it's okay to disagree sometimes. I'll try to be less obnoxious about it in the future.

What have you actually seen of the Fate series, this isn't a callout I'm just wondering what you saw that could cause such a visceral reaction every time it's brought up.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Fate/Zero, which I thought was okay but I don't really remember it, and a handful of episodes of Unlimited Blade Works which is what broke my brain

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'd like to think that, for all its faults, Fate / Stay Night getting as big as it did made way for people to say "so what else did these Type-Moon weirdos do that might merit an adaptation?" and allowed for Kara no Kyoukai to get the movie saga treatment, and those movies were pretty dang cool overall. Fate / Zero was also okay.

Also: Am I the only one that wishes for Yuki Kajiura to collaborate with an European Metal band? Like Amorphis or Amon Amarth.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The Devil Tesla posted:

Fate/Zero, which I thought was okay but I don't really remember it, and a handful of episodes of Unlimited Blade Works which is what broke my brain

You could say "zero was okay I didn't get into UBW" instead of having a spasm.

It is a correct critique to say that FSN as a whole is wordy. UFOtable does a pretty good job of making the visuals interesting but it's a problem of adapting the source material, which is very verbose and static, into anime. However, this in itself doesn't make it terrible. I rather like it, but I can understand why someone might not care for it. In particular, I think UBW has done a better job of covering the long exposition sections than Zero, because Zero has a very hilarious moment where the premise is being explained to kirie in the first / prologue episode, and it's like a 5 minute scene where they are just talking, and the characters talking randomly start walking around him in a circle in tandem for no reason, and literally stop when the conversation starts to wrapup. It's very clear they were just trying to cover for the premise dump.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The second coming of anime is the anims i enjoy.

Does anime even need a second coming when we're still in the silver age of moe?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Anime will always have something good milling about it just takes the lens of time to zoom out so we forget about all the chaff.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
You know what, maybe I just got a lot more out of Ping Pong than the average poster. Not that I'm gonna become the Lord Justice equivalent or anything, but I found a lot of the narrative nuance to be really neat.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

It's ok to like a thing, in the recommendation thread.

Little weird when you call a thing the "second coming of anime" tho

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

especially when that was kill la kill

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

it was definitely my second coming of anime :greencube:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

DamnGlitch posted:

Anime will always have something good milling about it just takes the lens of time to zoom out so we forget about all the chaff.

Yah this has been true of every decade.

Lallander
Sep 11, 2001

When a problem comes along,
you must whip it.
I'm looking for good, short anime. Ones that tell a full story in 10-20 episodes or thereabouts. I'm not so concerned with what genre it is. I love fantasy, science fiction, adventure, and all of that. Any good story will do though.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Have you watched Time of Eve? Either the movie or the mini-series (6 eps) will do.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

ViggyNash posted:

You know what, maybe I just got a lot more out of Ping Pong than the average poster. Not that I'm gonna become the Lord Justice equivalent or anything, but I found a lot of the narrative nuance to be really neat.

I also enjoyed it an absurdly huge amount though I didn't like the (ending spoilers) "where they are now" epilogue which was kind of dumb but it seems like I frequently dislike the endings of shows I love so that doesn't really say much. I can't even say why I thought it was so good other than the fact that it didn't have any stupid melodrama and the characters were all terribly flawed people but overcame their issues in various ways.

Now I wanna watch it again :mrwhite:

ToxicToast
Dec 7, 2006
Thanks, I'm flattered.
I am looking for some anime or manga that are similar to Genshiken or Welcome to the NHK. Something that is slice of life of college life or older.

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

The Tatami Galaxy is really good and is about people in college. I don't quite know if I'd call it slice of life but it's extremely good.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

ToxicToast posted:

I am looking for some anime or manga that are similar to Genshiken or Welcome to the NHK. Something that is slice of life of college life or older.

honey & clover, moyashimon, i heard golden time is good but i haven't seen it, servant X service isn't college but its adults, i can't understand what my husband is saying

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ToxicToast posted:

shirobako

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Davincie posted:

i heard golden time is good but i haven't seen it,

The story of Golden Time is pretty decent but the actual anime is the most :effort: thing I've ever watched all of, the main characters wouldn't look out of place standing around in the background of any other show and the ending is pretty much 'welp we've got 10 minutes left WRAP IT UP GUYS'.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

RabidWeasel posted:

I also enjoyed it an absurdly huge amount though I didn't like the (ending spoilers) "where they are now" epilogue which was kind of dumb but it seems like I frequently dislike the endings of shows I love so that doesn't really say much. I can't even say why I thought it was so good other than the fact that it didn't have any stupid melodrama and the characters were all terribly flawed people but overcame their issues in various ways.

Now I wanna watch it again :mrwhite:

The manga handled the ending better, or at least I thought so. Yuasa was too nice to the characters throughout the anime and the epilogue was definitely one of those moments. Felt doing so kind of missed the point I thought the manga made about facing and accepting the reality of one's potential and limits. Or at least that's what I thought.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Wow my posts really blew up this thread.

Gave DxD the three episode rule, it wasn't very good

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Wow my posts really blew up this thread.

Gave DxD the three episode rule, it wasn't very good

Have you seen Excel Saga by any chance? That might be closer in tone to PSG. Granted I haven't seen it in a decade so maybe it hasn't aged well or it's worse than I recall.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Allarion posted:

Have you seen Excel Saga by any chance? That might be closer in tone to PSG. Granted I haven't seen it in a decade so maybe it hasn't aged well or it's worse than I recall.

Is the story as over the top and funny like PSG?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Lallander posted:

I'm looking for good, short anime. Ones that tell a full story in 10-20 episodes or thereabouts. I'm not so concerned with what genre it is. I love fantasy, science fiction, adventure, and all of that. Any good story will do though.

Gunbuster, and following that, Diebuster

Each are six-episode OVAs that are completely self-contained

FLCL as well is six episodes and very very good

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

All I recall about the story is that they're technically a criminal organization out to conquer the world, though that's really an excuse to just do a parody of every genre Japan and America has to offer, from Rambo to dating sims to space opera to Fist of the North Star. It's pretty over the top, the manga author dies in the first episode and the director is constantly running around in the background doing poo poo. You'll have the judge the comedy for yourself.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Lallander posted:

Kyousogiga is relatively short at 10 episodes and is one of the best shows of the last few years.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Allarion posted:

I watched it for the first time well after it came out, and it has aged surprisingly well.

Different, but yes.

Lallander
Sep 11, 2001

When a problem comes along,
you must whip it.

Captain Invictus posted:

Gunbuster, and following that, Diebuster

Each are six-episode OVAs that are completely self-contained

FLCL as well is six episodes and very very good

I liked FLCL and loved Gunbuster. Definitely need to check out Diebuster. Thanks.

ViggyNash posted:

Kyousogiga is relatively short at 10 episodes and is one of the best shows of the last few years.

That looks good. Thanks for the suggestion.

Edit: Should I watch the two ONA first or just start with the TV series?

Lallander fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Apr 27, 2015

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The TV series is all you need. It actually contains the OVAs in it.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Lallander posted:

Giant Robo.

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

Yeah Giant Robo is super good seconding that

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
How could I not third Giant Robo.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

He said full story :smithicide:

Bad Seafood