Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Analog posted:

Is there any reason to use the suggested characters for the missions in Warriors Orochi 3 story mode? Does it give more story elements, unlocks etc?
They occasionally give little lines of dialogue or two, or sometimes maybe even a cutscene, but it's not necessary to play right away, or ever, with recommended characters, in a way that affects gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Analog posted:

Is there any reason to use the suggested characters for the missions in Warriors Orochi 3 story mode? Does it give more story elements, unlocks etc?

I'm doing it with the recommended characters in my first play, just because it give you a good mix and forces you to try them all out.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Rutibex posted:

I'm doing it with the recommended characters in my first play, just because it give you a good mix and forces you to try them all out.

This is honestly the best way to go about playing it, especially since it allows you to balance out proficiency leveling. Otherwise, you'll have your magic dream team who will always wreck face, leading you to miss out on some genuinely fun characters.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Takoluka posted:

This is honestly the best way to go about playing it, especially since it allows you to balance out proficiency leveling. Otherwise, you'll have your magic dream team who will always wreck face, leading you to miss out on some genuinely fun characters.

I am considering my first play-through to be a tutorial, so I can see which characters I like. I'll build a dream team for higher difficulties and the challenge modes. As an aside, I don't know which game introduced it but Experience Fever (or whatever that effect is that gives you officer XP scrolls from normal soldiers) is amazing. I have never been so frustrated in my life not to have mook soldiers around.

Speaking of trying out all the characters, I just used Yoshitsune Minamoto for the first time. I don't know if this guy is supposed to be a joke or what but he is clearly just a re-skinned Gundam (laser sword, wings, and all) :v:

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Rutibex posted:

I am considering my first play-through to be a tutorial, so I can see which characters I like. I'll build a dream team for higher difficulties and the challenge modes. As an aside, I don't know which game introduced it but Experience Fever (or whatever that effect is that gives you officer XP scrolls from normal soldiers) is amazing. I have never been so frustrated in my life not to have mook soldiers around.

It was one of the Orochi 3 remakes, possibly Ultimate. It's probably there as an anti-frustration feature for people insane enough to grind out level resets.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I've mentioned this before, but mid-to-late-game tip: Work with Xiahou Ba. You will not regret it.

Spoilering just in case you want to learn for yourself. His R1 massively boosts his attack and speed for a short time at the cost of a little Musou. Using his EX attack on a small group of enemies while Osmosis+10 is on his weapon will restore his Musou. Repeat forever, and you will be nearly unstoppable no matter what you do.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Wasn't Xiahou Ba one of the few people who aren't Lu Bu to have 3 stars in Halberd in DW7? Is he just weirdly good in these games?

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

How long until I unlock my main boy Xiahou Dun in Warriors Orcohi 3? I know I can just looks this up myself but I'm lazy.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Raserys posted:

Wasn't Xiahou Ba one of the few people who aren't Lu Bu to have 3 stars in Halberd in DW7? Is he just weirdly good in these games?

Yeah. I don't know what his deal is, but he's absurdly good in a lot of ways. His WO3 incarnation is just unreal, though, and I'm glad they didn't fix it for Hyper/Ultimate.

Fun stuff about Orochi nerfs:

Mitsuhide and Ginchiyo's R1 attacks were stupidly good in WO1. Mitsuhide had a Musou-free quick air slash with as his R1 special, but in WO1, it has knockback, leading you to perform often-successful infinite combos on literally any officer in the game, including Orochi himself. Ginchiyo's R1 had her jump in the air and quickly lightning slam the ground. In WO1, with a Musou Full 10-sec, this could be repeated *very* quickly, causing her to make short work of everything around her. It wasn't all that expensive at higher levels, so even without infinite Musou, she could handle pretty much anything at any time.

Both of these R1 attacks were nerfed in WO2. Mitsuhide's slash no longer had knockback, so enemies could walk through it, and a slight delay was added to Ginchiyo's attack, making it a lot slower.

Then comes WO3, and Xiahou Ba has his ridiculous combo. Later iterations of WO3 didn't fix it. It makes me wonder if the devs really like Xiahou Ba.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They'd be the only people who do.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Well, he did historically join Shu in the end, so I guess that makes sense.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Takoluka posted:

Well, he did historically join Shu in the end, so I guess that makes sense.

I think none of the extra missions in 7 and XL even had him in Jin at all. In his debut he had more screen time as a Shu guy than as the faction he's alligned with.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
It's because Jin are cool dudes and all but their story sucks bad.

Like, really bad.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I like Xiahou Ba. Outside of pre-DW6 Zhou Yu he's probably the character I've used the most.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:
Xiahou Ba is the stereotypical obnoxious dipshit with lovely voice-acting but a really fun moveset. It happens all the time (which is why empires is best, because I don't have to play as him to have the siege lance be someone's EX weapon :getin: )

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I've been playing around with the duel mode in WO3: Ultimate, and I have to say it is much better than I was expecting. I remember the Duel Mode in DW4:Xl being pretty terrible, but they have made some major improvements. The card system and 3-person team really let you have a lot of variety. As a fighting game, obviously the WO3 engine is not the best in the world and the characters and a little shallow in a one-on-one setting, but considering it's just a bonus mode and you have 145 fairly unique characters to choose from it's not bad.

It's no Street Fighter 4, but I think it's at least as good as say, Soul Calibur. I am sure that there are some over powered character and card combinations, but I haven't found them yet so I will continue on enjoying it :v:

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Anyone know the secret to getting Matsukaze in Samurai Warriors 4? None of the guides seem to mention it and I can't seem to find a straight answer anywhere. I've bought all the other horses, completed story mode, and spent some time dicking around in Chronicle mode and I still haven't seen it.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Jibo posted:

Anyone know the secret to getting Matsukaze in Samurai Warriors 4? None of the guides seem to mention it and I can't seem to find a straight answer anywhere. I've bought all the other horses, completed story mode, and spent some time dicking around in Chronicle mode and I still haven't seen it.

I think you just have to buy all the horses, and then Matsukaze eventually shows up.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Argh Koei why would you give Zhu Rong throwing knives? Another character already has that weapon, come on! Like, I can understand changing the weapons around for boring characters that just have a sword/spear like Dong Zhuo. But why change Zhu Rong? She had a cool giant boomerang thing, and a unique move set! :argh:

Also, when do I get a horse in Warriors Orochi 3: Ultimate? I can apparently fell ancient demons and travel between dimensions, but buying a loving horse is too great a task! I am getting sick of losing stages for lack of being able to run fast enough and defend my retarded team mates :(

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
Zhurong has the Boomerang back in DW8. As WO3 was made before DW8, she (and many other characters) still have their old weapons from DW7.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:

Rutibex posted:

Also, when do I get a horse in Warriors Orochi 3: Ultimate? I can apparently fell ancient demons and travel between dimensions, but buying a loving horse is too great a task! I am getting sick of losing stages for lack of being able to run fast enough and defend my retarded team mates :(

Press select :eng101:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Chachi posted:

Press select :eng101:
:eyepop:
This changes everything! I wish someone had bothered to mention you don't need a saddle in this game, so many wasted missions!

Brony Hunter posted:

Zhurong has the Boomerang back in DW8. As WO3 was made before DW8, she (and many other characters) still have their old weapons from DW7.
Clearly there is need of a Warriors Orochi 4! It could include Zelda, Dragon Warrior, One-Piece, Gundam, DW8, and SW4 characters in addition to what they have now. If the next game doesn't have at least 250 character I will be quite sore!

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Rutibex posted:

This changes everything! I wish someone had bothered to mention you don't need a saddle in this game, so many wasted missions!

Clearly there is need of a Warriors Orochi 4! It could include Zelda, Dragon Warrior, One-Piece, Gundam, DW8, and SW4 characters in addition to what they have now. If the next game doesn't have at least 250 character I will be quite sore!

No one ever remembers Ken's Rage.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Good

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

gently caress you; Ken's Rage was fun as hell.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Ken's Rage 1 was a clunky, awkward, if somewhat satisfying yet misdirected prototype game that showed some promise. Ken's Rage 2 drove it off a god drat cliff and became arguably the worst Musou game of the modern era.

Lock Knight
Oct 5, 2012

You're gonna carry that weight.
Cybernetic Crumb
Rather enjoyed the first Ken's Rage. Never played the second.

Edit: It's bad, then?

I still kind of want a JoJo musou game, though.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Lock Knight posted:

Rather enjoyed the first Ken's Rage. Never played the second.

Edit: It's bad, then?

I still kind of want a JoJo musou game, though.

I would buy the gently caress out of a Jojo warriors game

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I'd buy a JoJo's Bizarre Warriors or Berserk Warriors any day of the week.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Rutibex posted:

A lot of the newer warriors games just give you a default horse with saddles being upgraded ones.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

TARDISman posted:

FFFFFFFFuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck, I'd buy the hell out of Berserk Warriors :gizz:

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Berserk Musou would have an even shittier frame rate than regular Musou from all the blood and horse brains.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

TARDISman posted:

I didn't think Jojo would make a very good Warriors game at first, but then I realized it would make perfect sense for some evil dude with time powers to smash different eras together and summon hordes of bad guys to hunt the Joestars and friends. Warriors Orochi x Jojo's Bizarre Adventure is a great idea.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I want Atelier Musou. :colbert:

Just make it a Musou game with a weird super-robust crafting engine between stages. It doesn't even have to feature Atelier characters just Atelier crafting. We already got an Atelier character in Musou, it's not an impossible dream!!

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Go the whole hog and bring Nippon Ichi Musou. They already do crossovers, they're already about ridiculous attacks and numbers going up and repetitiveness.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Bloodly posted:

Go the whole hog and bring Nippon Ichi Musou. They already do crossovers, they're already about ridiculous attacks and numbers going up and repetitiveness.

Hell there's enough in the Disgaea franchise to fill out a title.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Fumaofthelake posted:

Berserk Musou would have an even shittier frame rate than regular Musou from all the blood and horse brains.

And regular brains and intestines and pretty much whatever else happens to be inside a dude.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Wow, I wish I had known how powerful the Prosperity attribute is. I finally decided to try and make a "magic find" guy and the difference with prosperity and without is night and day. Before I would get 2 maybe 3 weapons per stage if I'm lucky, now I can get upwards of 8-9 per stage. This have lead to somewhat of a virtuous cycle of weapons, allowing me to level up Prosperity very quickly until I had three characters with +10, which is the best I can do I assume.

Do the Prosperity attributes of all the characters add together, or does it only count the Prosperity level of the character that lands the killing blow on an officer? Basically, does it help to have three characters with it maxed out (beyond being able to switch out during fights)?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Sengoku Basara! It's still a thing! Here's a new trailer for SB4: Sumeragi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nfa8iOYTps8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

Fumaofthelake posted:

And demon penises, don't forget those!