Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

hooah posted:

I'm confused about my new X - when I look up the model number (XT1096), it says it's supposed to be 32 GB, but when I go to "storage" in settings, it says it's got 5 GB available and 4 GB for apps and media content. What the hell's going on? Did Verizon shaft me?

What does the total storage number say? I have a 32gb model and it reports 24gb total after accounting for the system image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hotsauce posted:

No, you will get LTE just fine. Just no WiFi calling. If you are in a T-Mobile LTE area, the towers have been refarmed to support AT&T's LTE band, so you get LTE on T-Mobile.

At least every unlocked AT&T phone I've used on T-Mobile ($30 nerd play around plan) got LTE just fine. YMMV.

It's entirely dependent on the area. In some (most?) places, T-Mobile runs HSPA+ on AT&T (PCS) bands and LTE in AWS which an AT&T model would not support. In others they have begun the process of converting GSM/EDGE in 700 MHz Block A to LTE but as of the end of last year that's only in a handful of small cities. Once they decommission their GSM/EDGE network they'll be in a very good position but that's certainly not true in most places now.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

nimper posted:

What does the total storage number say? I have a 32gb model and it reports 24gb total after accounting for the system image.

Here's what I'm talking about :

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

hooah posted:

Here's what I'm talking about :

Yeah you got the shaft.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Ok, thanks for letting me know.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

hooah posted:

Now, the 1096 is the Verizon model but they do sell 16gb and 32gb versions of it. How much did they charge you?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

hooah posted:

Did you try a factory reset? For some obscure reason, my Nexus 7 2013, after flashing it clean (full factory reset including locking bootloader etc...) showed 16gb of storage after the install. Factory resetted it and voilá, 32gb again.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

nimper posted:

Now, the 1096 is the Verizon model but they do sell 16gb and 32gb versions of it. How much did they charge you?

I'm not sure; it's on my parents' plan so I'll have to ask them. But when I called the store before going, the guy said they only have 32 gb versions.

What value should I be looking for?

hooah fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 26, 2015

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Guillermus posted:

Did you try a factory reset? For some obscure reason, my Nexus 7 2013, after flashing it clean (full factory reset including locking bootloader etc...) showed 16gb of storage after the install. Factory resetted it and voilá, 32gb again.

I factory reset after updating to 5.0 so I could do the tap & go. Which worked about 90-95%.

Whoops, sorry 'bout the double-post.

hooah fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 26, 2015

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

hooah posted:

I only got it yesterday, so I have no idea how the battery life is. If you've got poor reception, then the bigger battery on the Turbo might be a good idea.

I went for the turbo :toot:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Guillermus posted:

That is because there was a bad factory image for that device which misreported the storage size if you reflashed the user partition.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

LastInLine posted:

That is because there was a bad factory image for that device which misreported the storage size if you reflashed the user partition.

Funnily it was from google. That happened me when I flashed 5.0.1, didn't happen with 5.0.2 and 5.1.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
So it seems like the Moto X is a good phone. Are there any alternatives at its price range that are worth looking into? I admit the lack of removable storage space does irk me a little with the X.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
It's 2015, put your poo poo in the cloud and get over it.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
For those in the markets for a phone, looks like LG is set to announce the LG G4 on Tuesday.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
The only other issue with the Moto X is that I've seen a lot of reviews saying its battery life pretty dire and is susepctible to screen breaks. Is that true? If so, as said is there any phones near its price range that are worth taking a look at?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Whizbang posted:

It's 2015, put your poo poo in the cloud and get over it.

Free wi-fi generally sucks, American LTE tariffs also suck (or kick you to EDGE-level speeds at a low throughput limit per billing cycle), and regardless of sentiment there's no way to say this that doesn't make the person saying it look like a tremendous dick.

SkySteak posted:

So it seems like the Moto X is a good phone. Are there any alternatives at its price range that are worth looking into? I admit the lack of removable storage space does irk me a little with the X.

Even good MicroSD cards aren't meant for the kind of duty cycle a phone where you actually use things on the phone will put them through. Nintendos get away with it because their saves are tiny compared to most files and games themselves only get written to the card once or twice in a device's lifetime.

If you actually need that much data with you at one time, pay for a higher-capacity model.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Free wi-fi generally sucks, American LTE tariffs also suck (or kick you to EDGE-level speeds at a low throughput limit per billing cycle)

You're right. Amendment: Put your poo poo in the cloud and don't live in a third world country.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Whizbang posted:

You're right. Amendment: Put your poo poo in the cloud and don't live in a third world country.

Amendment: Put your poo poo in the cloud, pin/save/make stuff available offline intelligently while on wifi. You probably don't need your entire music collection available at all times, so pin stuff you're currently into, and if you have to stream a random song or album, go for it, that's what your mobile data is for!

Also, buy at minimum a 32 GB phone, and store a good chunk of your music locally without needing an SD card!

sourdough fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Apr 27, 2015

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

My phone is doing that random starting of Google Music thing, did anyone ever figure out a fix?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

RVProfootballer posted:

Amendment: Put your poo poo in the cloud, pin/save/make stuff available offline intelligently while on wifi. You probably don't need your entire music collection available at all times, so pin stuff you're currently into, and if you have to stream a random song or album, go for it, that's what your mobile data is for!

Also, buy at minimum a 32 GB phone, and store a good chunk of your music locally without needing an SD card!

I don't even bother pinning anything. When I'm on a plane I have plenty of music available offline, even things not in my library, but that I like. It's really smart.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
My diztronic tpu case has already cracked. I haven't even dropped this phone.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Cultural Imperial posted:

how did you manage to "crack" tpu?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

nerve posted:

how did you manage to "crack" tpu?

I have no idea.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Cultural Imperial posted:

Take photos and email them to tpu-cases (Diztronic). They've made probably millions off of these cases (production costs in the pennies, I'm sure) so they will most likely replace your $10 case fast.

Don't put the replacement in the freezer overnight and drop it from a 100 story building next time.

Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

hotsauce posted:

Don't put the replacement in the freezer overnight and drop it from a 100 story building next time.

Can we stop shaming in this thread yet? Not everybody uses their phone the same way you do, jeez.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer
Because most non-standard use cases in this thread are dumb ways of using a phone. Remember mysterious business guy?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Trisk posted:

Can we stop shaming in this thread yet? Not everybody uses their phone the same way you do, jeez.

Sense of humor required.

How anyone manages to crack soft rubber is beyond me. But it has apparently happened, so yeah. The guy just needs to get it replaced as it's a very obvious defect of some sort.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Apr 27, 2015

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Speaking of cases, I just got the 2014 Moto X. I drop my phone a lot, what's a good case + screen protector combo for that?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Guillermus posted:

Funnily it was from google. That happened me when I flashed 5.0.1, didn't happen with 5.0.2 and 5.1.

That same set of factory images (the 5.0.1 round) had another one that was hosed up but I'll admit I can't remember right now which device or what was wrong with it. I forgot all about it until I saw your post.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

hotsauce posted:

Take photos and email them to tpu-cases (Diztronic). They've made probably millions off of these cases (production costs in the pennies, I'm sure) so they will most likely replace your $10 case fast.

Diztronic customer support is, in fact, great and will almost undoubtedly do this.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Cricket has a 20gb plan with unlimited calling and text for $60, $55 if you auto-pay. If they ran on Sprint or T-mo towers these people would have something but they use ATT which is practically every loving where so counterpoint to the "I have no room for the cloud" bullshit is look you shitters, try looking somewhere other than goddamn Verizon.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

FAUXTON posted:

Cricket has a 20gb plan with unlimited calling and text for $60, $55 if you auto-pay. If they ran on Sprint or T-mo towers these people would have something but they use ATT which is practically every loving where so counterpoint to the "I have no room for the cloud" bullshit is look you shitters, try looking somewhere other than goddamn Verizon.

They used to, but now the there is only a 10gb plan for $60/$55 they removed the 20gb option within the last month.

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?

FAUXTON posted:

I'm still on an AT&T grandfathered unlimited data plan I got back when I got my iPhone 4 and even with streaming all my music and movies on Amazon Prime I hardly ever go over 4GB/month. I imagine that'd go up if I used my GPS while driving though.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm comparing the 2nd gen Moto E 4G with the 2nd gen Moto G 4G. The E appears to have the same CPU, a better GPU, and the same battery size but the screen is smaller so it should presumably last longer.

I know that the camera on the E is kind of garbage (but the G isn't much better anyway). Would the E still take better photos than a GNex?

Am I missing anything else as to why the G is a better device, assuming larger screen size is not a requirement?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Isn't the E missing a few important sensors? Or was that just the first version

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Stick100 posted:

They used to, but now the there is only a 10gb plan for $60/$55 they removed the 20gb option within the last month.

Shame they removed it! They always advertised it as "very limited time offer" and I'm glad I got it when I did, but yeah there is honestly no way I'll use 20gb a month. Oh well, at least I've got the option!

Oovee
Jun 21, 2007

No life king.
So on my ol iPhone I could just copy images on the phone to clipboard and from there to anywhere and apparently on android(galaxy A3) you cant? There's the direct share-to links, but what Im looking for is copy/paste function for pictures in phone gallery.

Just trying to drop pictures to email so they'll display right away rather than as attachments(elderly people).

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Share > copy to clipboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oovee
Jun 21, 2007

No life king.

kri kri posted:

Share > copy to clipboard.

No such option under share, just dropbox, messages, google drive, etc. But no clipboard or even just "copy" anywhere. The options menu just lists turn clockwise, more info, rename, etc.

Sigh.