Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Ghostlight posted:

^^^ I got that after one of the earlier updates, and it just ended up being a case of leaving it for another ten or twenty minutes for the log on to show up.

Hm, I let it sit for a while before getting concerned but I'll give it another shot. I'll just leave it up and if there's nothing by morning I'll reinstall. Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Just FYI, I just had an incredibly annoying issue where I needed to boot into safe mode in 8.1 but after restarting it would boot into safe mode in 10, skipping the Boot Menu entirely.

Once in Safe Mode 10, it would not recognize any network and would time out after inputting my Live password to log in.

Eventually I fixed it out of frustration by disconnecting the network cable in the middle of the log in process and that somehow forced it into windows with an error message, where I could disable safe mode and get back to the boot menu.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Build 10061 is out for the Fast update track :rice:, via Windows Update.

Main changes detailed here:

quote:

Start, Taskbar, and Action Center improvements: While we saw this first in the leaked 10056 build, this is the first public build to include the new black system theme across the Start menu, taskbar, and Action Center. The Start menu and Taskbar now have transparency. You can resize the Start menu. AutoColor has been added, which will pull the primary color from your desktop background, and you can customize the color of Start, taskbar, and Action Center, as well as transparency, in Settings. Finally, based on feedback, the power button was moved to the bottom left from the top right of the Start menu to make it more accessible.

New Mail and Calendar apps: Mail includes customizable Swipe Gestures, letting you swipe right or left to take actions like delete, flag, move or mark as read/unread, plus a new email authoring experience that leverages the Word capabilities so you can insert tables, add pictures and use bullets and color. Mail and Calendar both support Office 365, Exchange, Outlook.com, Gmail, IMAP, POP and other popular account types.

Continuum improvements: The taskbar is now “more optimized” for tablets, Microsoft says: When you enter Tablet Mode, the Start button, Cortana, Task View buttons and notification area items all grow larger so they are more touchable, and pinned and running apps are removed (by default) to reduce clutter. Start and Task View remain available for launching and switching.

Task View improvements: Microsoft made several visual updates to Task View, including refined window icons, close buttons, and thumbnails.

Virtual Desktop improvements: You can now create as many Virtual Desktops as you’d like, and a new overflow experience will let you access any of them when you’ve reached the limits of onscreen real estate.

Fixed issues: Microsoft fixed a number of issues in this build. Outlook now indexes email correctly. Hyper-V can be enabled normally. Visual Studio no longer crashes when you create a universal app project. And a number of problems with Project Spartan were fixed too.

Known issues: You can check out Microsoft’s blog post for a complete list of known issues with this build, but I will highlight a few of the big ones. You can’t launch desktop (Win32) apps from the Start menu (though Search works fine). The built-in Mail and Calendar apps need to be updated from the Windows Store Bet app to work properly. You can’t download songs from Music or Music Preview (though a fix is coming). And minimized apps that are playing audio will mute.

For some reason I can't seem to add my Outlook.com account to the Mail app, though it's imported my Hotmail account from the previous installation without issue. Added it as Exchange Activesync, works normally.

Also, I notice that the UK now had its Language Pack working again, after failing for me on Build 10051.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Apr 23, 2015

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

I just upgraded to the new build. Seems fine. Couple niggly things though. First is that using small taskbar icons is now useless, as the icons go small but the start icon remains the same size. All it does is make it harder to select/open things on the taskbar. The only other thing I've noticed is the new colour for title bars are barely differentiable, with the active window being "greyish white" and the inactive ones "slightly darker grey".

Also for some reason if I open the start menu and then click away it autohides the taskbar for a second then brings it back? Anyone else experiencing this?

Nehefer
Aug 9, 2008

syntaxfunction posted:

Also for some reason if I open the start menu and then click away it autohides the taskbar for a second then brings it back? Anyone else experiencing this?

Yes.

Very disappointed they haven't brought back the good start menu from the 9xxx builds. Using tiles instead of icons seems like a step backwards. I guess it doesn't really matter because the start menu is completely broken right now and you can't launch programs from it.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Quite annoying some of the bits in this build. I get that I'm on the fast track but I wouldn't think "can't launch programs" would even make it to the fast track. That seems like a bit of a whoopsie. Apart from that, I like the Start Menu but then, I just need it to hold the shortcuts I need. It is adjustable again so there's that.

Also, I found that instead of pinning a program to the taskbar to launch it you can still launch Win32 apps from the Start Menu, just right click and run as admin. Not the best solution but still nicer than having everything on the taskbar or doing the pinning shuffle.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are
I find it so weird that not everyone launches everything via searching. Win key, type two chars, enter.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

Tivac posted:

I find it so weird that not everyone launches everything via searching. Win key, type two chars, enter.

This.

Also, how long have there been achievements in the Insider Hub?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Does the search learn now? That's why I've stuck with Launchy through Windows 7 and 8(.1) - the Windows start menu/screen search always shows the results in the same order for a given query.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
Hello Windows 10 Technical Preview thread. For those interested, I have a preview alpha Awful Forums Reader for Windows 10 build that you can install. It should be working on 10061 (I didn't check with the other ones, it may work on those, it may not :shrug:)

It's a heavy work in progress, but I think I got some cool stuff in it that you all will like, so go on and check it out :).

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Apr 23, 2015

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Tivac posted:

I do on 7 but half the time 10 decides I don't have that program and opens internet explorer with a bing search.

Nebel
Sep 30, 2002

Soiled Meat
Did they fix the issue where full screen games on nvidia cards would randomly hard lock the system?

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

IceHawk posted:

Did they fix the issue where full screen games on nvidia cards would randomly hard lock the system?

I fixed it by uninstalling the DX12 Nvidia driver and rolling back to the more stable DX11 ones.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

IceHawk posted:

Just go download the latest windows 8 driver version. Works fine.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Drastic Actions posted:

Hello Windows 10 Technical Preview thread. For those interested, I have a preview alpha Awful Forums Reader for Windows 10 build that you can install. It should be working on 10061 (I didn't check with the other ones, it may work on those, it may not :shrug:)

So on a desktop PC, what's the advantage of a forums reader app over a browser? Honest question.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

slidebite posted:

So on a desktop PC, what's the advantage of a forums reader app over a browser? Honest question.

You get just SA content minus all the browser poo poo. I mean do you really not get that websites are now apps on mobile platforms?

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

redeyes posted:

You get just SA content minus all the browser poo poo. I mean do you really not get that websites are now apps on mobile platforms?

Yeah but he said on a desktop. I was wondering the same thing, I use an SA app on my phone and tablet but I was wondering if there was any advantage to using an SA app on my desktop too. I come to the website often enough it seems like it might be nice to have an app especially tailored to it, but I don't know. Just by looking at the screenshots I figured it doesn't have tabs, and if that's the case then it's a no go for me, but I wasn't sure, so I understand his question.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

slidebite posted:

On a desktop, probably nothing. The Windows 8 version has notifications for bookmarked threads(so instead of hitting F5 every 10 seconds you can let the app tell you when a thread has been updated. I'm still debating bring that back for this release) but for smaller tablets and phones it makes it easier to read threads.

The whole point is that I built one app, and can have it run across a ton of platforms without much effort on my part. My Windows 8 and Windows Phone apps have custom UIs, but the same shared project where most of the code lives. This new Windows 10 release is one app, with the same UI working across multiple devices. It just so happens it works on Desktops, but it won't really be used there.

edit:

quote:

Just by looking at the screenshots I figured it doesn't have tabs, and if that's the case then it's a no go for me, but I wasn't sure, so I understand his question.

For the Windows 8 version it has "Tabs", in that if you navigate to a new thread inside a thread, it will add a tab to the queue. For the Windows 10 one, it will let you queue threads in a persistent queue so you can bounce between them (like in a web browser)

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

redeyes posted:

The question was about desktops, though, not mobile. I'm posting this from Awful on my phone, but I couldn't care less about a browser interface taking up a couple dozen rows of pixels on a desktop display.

Edit: could've previewed before posting if I'd used my browser :v:

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Toast Museum posted:

Edit: could've previewed before posting if I'd used my browser :v:

My app was the first out of all of them to add preview and quoting previous thread support when making replies :v:. It's still the only one to do the latter I think.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I'm SO happy the new Microsoft apps like mail and calendar work with gmail. Honestly it's a big deal. Now if only the people app worked.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

redeyes posted:

slidebite posted:

I do use the android app on my phone (far easier than going through the browser) but I just don't quite "get" the app angle for a desktop running a full OS.

I see I'm not alone in it though so that's good.. I guess.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

slidebite posted:

I do use the android app on my phone (far easier than going through the browser) but I just don't quite "get" the app angle for a desktop running a full OS.

I see I'm not alone in it though so that's good.. I guess.

Apps are great for Windows tablets.

There's nothing keeping you from just loading a browser on your desktop, bruh.

haximus prime
Nov 23, 2007
buttes
I am very aware that this is unfinished software. But I have a question that maybe people experienced w/ Windows release cycles can weigh in on.

After some research I've learned that I really should not get my hopes up for WMC in Windows 10. Do you think it's still too early to tell? I use an HDHomerunPrime for all of my cable TV watching and this would be very inconvenient. (have to run windows 7 or 8 w/ WMC in a VM and pray all the copy protection garbage works correctly).

My question is, is it too early to tell if WMC will be an option in Windows 10?

Edit for the guy below me:

Thank's for your reply. I figured if anything they would just keep it as is, I was more worried about it being removed completely b/c it hasn't been touched since like Vista.

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

haximus prime fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Apr 25, 2015

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

haximus prime posted:

I am very aware that this is unfinished software. But I have a question that maybe people experienced w/ Windows release cycles can weigh in on.

After some research I've learned that I really should not get my hopes up for WMC in Windows 10. Do you think it's still too early to tell? I use an HDHomerunPrime for all of my cable TV watching and this would be very inconvenient. (have to run windows 7 or 8 w/ WMC in a VM and pray all the copy protection garbage works correctly).

In sure it will be it just won't he any different than it is now

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Perhaps I missed it, but with the latest build, I'm unable to launch any apps through clicking them on my Start menu. It'll recognize I click and then close the menu but the apps won't launch. Anyone else?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Lblitzer posted:

Perhaps I missed it, but with the latest build, I'm unable to launch any apps through clicking them on my Start menu. It'll recognize I click and then close the menu but the apps won't launch. Anyone else?

Known issue with the build, nothing strange with your install.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

Plus it's only with desktop programs, launching store apps works fine

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

haximus prime posted:

From http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...4-45f4b7ed2fb9.
"Is Media Center supported in Windows 10?

No. Persons who need to use Media Center should consider carefully before upgrading from their previous version of Windows. The Windows 10 upgrade will automatically remove any installations of Media Center."

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Any news on when the Consumer Preview will be out for Windows 10?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I think Microsoft's line on "media center" now is that you should get an Xbox.

Storm-
Jan 7, 2007

You win some, you lose some... then you lose some more.

Wow, added a black theme? It ain't Aero but it is something. Glad they realized not all of us are interested in pretty rainbow colors and just want something simple and easy on the eyes.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Hopefully they dont stop doing guide updates for 7 and 8 media center.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Tivac posted:

After observing users of all knowledge levels interact with Start, the reason they don't is because people don't always know what they're looking for.

That sucks about Media Center. I hope this doesn't affect MCE IR system level support in the future, I use HTPCs with my Harmony remote.

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 27, 2015

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

The Gunslinger posted:

After observing users of all knowledge levels interact with Start, the reason they don't is because people don't always know what they're looking for.

Yup. This is my experience. Beyond that, there are also preferences to consider which is something Windows used to cater to more often before Win8.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

Oh, I'm aware of why basic desktop users need to point & click. I was more surprised that anybody running the Windows 10 TECHNICAL PREVIEW would point & click through the start menu. That could've been clearer in my original post.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Tivac posted:

Oh, I'm aware of why basic desktop users need to point & click. I was more surprised that anybody running the Windows 10 TECHNICAL PREVIEW would point & click through the start menu. That could've been clearer in my original post.

My experience is nerds use type-n-search to launch stuff. Everyone else slowly points and clicks.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

redeyes posted:

My experience is nerds use type-n-search to launch stuff. Everyone else slowly points and clicks.

I point and click faster with muscle memory :colbert:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Tivac posted:

Search is flat out broken for me so I don't get a choice...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

TopherCStone posted:

Plus it's only with desktop programs, launching store apps works fine

Hahaha, this is :tinfoil: as heck. I'm sure it's a bug, but I'm also sure there's someone on some forum raising a conspiracy theory about it.

• Locked thread