Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
We're on the same side, I don't get why you called me out if you agree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

EvilChameleon posted:

Buying an upgraded set of cards is a lot cheaper than buying a whole new board game (there are a lot of pieces in there and cardboard).

That's the part where you are wrong. If buying the Agricola decks was cheap I would have done it already. They go for $20 a piece at minimum, plus shipping (you will never see these in a store) and there are like 10 of them. If I wanted to get them all I'm looking at $200 minimum. A brand new Agricola set costs $50-$70 depending on where you buy it, and if it's on sale. That's a huge price difference, assuming they don't plan to make the new Agricola set $200.

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Apr 27, 2015

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Blamestorm posted:

Any opinions on Panamax? I'm a sucker for economic games and it looks pretty good!

Shut Up and Sit Down just did a pretty spot-on review of it. The only thing I felt they left out was that the end-game scoring cards don't seem to be very well balanced.

Also the rulebook is seriously a horrible piece of garbage.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

jivjov posted:

Can I get some goon-pinions on Power Grid? I've been eyeing it on aesthetic alone, and I'm terrible at gleaning gameplay information off of wikipedia summaries.

There's a fairly simple test to determine whether someone will like Power Grid. Look at the following image for 10 seconds.

If you are now erect/moist, you'll enjoy Power Grid.

4outof5
Nov 10, 2003

Leader of the ULT Right.
Grabbing pussy since April 2, 1994

Jedit posted:

There's a fairly simple test to determine whether someone will like Power Grid. Look at the following image for 10 seconds.

If you are now erect/moist, you'll enjoy Power Grid.

here go play this game called LCR it might be more your speed.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
A few words on Draughts cafe London.

They've just changed their £5 entry fee to £5 for 4 hours. That might be weekend or Saturday, I don't know. I don't really have a problem with this.

What I do have a problem with is how a business that was funded due to the internet and in general it being a business in a modern age, why isn't that information on that website? I live a bit out from London so when I train in for a day of activity to be told its only 4 hours and they don't tell you until you're there, that's annoying. They just don't use their website. Its been updated 3 times this calendar year. They don't say when they have new games in, or when they move things around, or simply to drum up interest. How can a modern business just ignore that?

Now, to be fair, we got play for longer than 4 hours. Because no staff member seemed to know if that rule limited you to 4 hours a day. If not, then can you just queue again at the end of 4 hours, or stay on if no one's there. They just didnt know. We took a break for late lunch (I won't be buying your £8 side orders if I get to leave earlier), we came back and queued again, and that seemed fine, but confusion as to whether we had to pay, but fair play to them, we didn't. But they are worse than Valve for communication.

The policy is to get some rotation going, which I agree with. And you aren't limited to the 4 hours if you have membership, which is also fine. But I shouldn't have to physically be in the cafe to find that out. I just don't get how lazy their site/blog is.

One last thing. For the entry fee involved, I'm amazed when I see people in there playing Battleships or Hungry Hungry Hippos.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Fat Turkey posted:

One last thing. For the entry fee involved, I'm amazed when I see people in there playing Battleships or Hungry Hungry Hippos.

Hungry Hungry Hippos I can understand, because it's a light-hearted physical game. Battleships is a little more confusing. At Thirsty Meeples in Oxford, I've seen people get out Monopoly :confused:

Thirsty Meeples has a pretty good web presence by comparison and it sounds like Draughts could probably learn a thing or two from them. They send out emails with the latest additions to the cafe every few weeks and have a regular newsletter, as well as an active twitter and facebook feed etc.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Fat Turkey posted:

A few words on Draughts cafe London.

They've just changed their £5 entry fee to £5 for 4 hours. That might be weekend or Saturday, I don't know. I don't really have a problem with this.

What I do have a problem with is how a business that was funded due to the internet and in general it being a business in a modern age, why isn't that information on that website? I live a bit out from London so when I train in for a day of activity to be told its only 4 hours and they don't tell you until you're there, that's annoying. They just don't use their website. Its been updated 3 times this calendar year. They don't say when they have new games in, or when they move things around, or simply to drum up interest. How can a modern business just ignore that?

Now, to be fair, we got play for longer than 4 hours. Because no staff member seemed to know if that rule limited you to 4 hours a day. If not, then can you just queue again at the end of 4 hours, or stay on if no one's there. They just didnt know. We took a break for late lunch (I won't be buying your £8 side orders if I get to leave earlier), we came back and queued again, and that seemed fine, but confusion as to whether we had to pay, but fair play to them, we didn't. But they are worse than Valve for communication.

The policy is to get some rotation going, which I agree with. And you aren't limited to the 4 hours if you have membership, which is also fine. But I shouldn't have to physically be in the cafe to find that out. I just don't get how lazy their site/blog is.

This sounds like the kind of situation where someone annoying/smelly stayed for way longer than 4 hours and made it necessary to put a time limit on everyone. I get the feeling the staff enforces the rule on disruptive people mostly. Like that public library that had to add "we are able to kick people out for offensive smells" to their rules after a homeless man sued them for kicking him out.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Yeah, Hippos does have an element of charm to it, maybe a bad example (and mostly due to the player involved being an angry drunk girl who was upset we wouldn't give up our game to let them play it there). I've seen Connect 4 played there, and because we had 20 mins left we cranked out some Mastermind.

What you said about updating that Thirsty Meeples does, that sounds like how it should be.

Well, originally there was no 4 hour rule to breach because it was just entry, so the system kinda encourages people to stay as long as possible (but then they can make the money back on food and drink). So it's not possible to outstay your welcome. Regarding smell, the issue they have there is it gets incredibly loud, you can barely talk, and it gets really packed. But I can't see much they can do to sort that, essentially its popular.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
Our local board game cafe has a 3 hour limit but they only enforce it if they actually need the tables. I don't think I've ever been kicked out as a result of that rule, but I imagine Draughts is busier.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Broken Loose posted:

What the gently caress? Who the gently caress thinks any non-Alchemy expansions are bad?

My group didn't care for Seaside, but we only played it 2 or 3 times. It's been a few years, but if I recall the general consensus was that the 'I play this card now and it does something the next time around' card mechanic felt like it slowed the game down without adding a lot of fun. It felt a little like expansion bloat, where there was some new stuff but it just sort of anchored down the fun of the core game by making everyone's turns take longer. I mean, we still enjoyed it (it is Dominion after all), we just thought we had more fun and took less time playing rounds with the base game + intrigue. It is quite possible that we just had a very poor selection of cards.

I should mention that my group only plays Dominion every once in a while so we hadn't even worn out the Intrigue expansion yet.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

drat Dirty Ape posted:

My group didn't care for Seaside, but we only played it 2 or 3 times. It's been a few years, but if I recall the general consensus was that the 'I play this card now and it does something the next time around' card mechanic felt like it slowed the game down without adding a lot of fun. It felt a little like expansion bloat, where there was some new stuff but it just sort of anchored down the fun of the core game by making everyone's turns take longer. I mean, we still enjoyed it (it is Dominion after all), we just thought we had more fun and took less time playing rounds with the base game + intrigue. It is quite possible that we just had a very poor selection of cards.

I should mention that my group only plays Dominion every once in a while so we hadn't even worn out the Intrigue expansion yet.

The only card I really dislike in Seaside is Pirate Ship. I don't know if it is just my group, or if the thing is just overpowered, but its an attack that eventually ramps up into being a poo poo ton of money every round. If it shows up, I just tend to try and buy as many of them as I can, and maybe a village or 2, so that I can use it twice in a turn.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Played dominion adventures last night. Holy crap there's a lot going on. We used the "expert intro" preset, and I won by rushing magpies and then using teacher to give them all +1 card, which let me draw my deck pretty consistently.

The game took way longer than normal, but I guess there were a ton of new cards, and the event Mission was out, so people were taking twice as many turns. Mission was great, it let you replay your durations, rebuy your wine merchant, and use your teacher if he was out. Anyway, adventures is REALLY cool.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

Madmarker posted:

The only card I really dislike in Seaside is Pirate Ship. I don't know if it is just my group, or if the thing is just overpowered, but its an attack that eventually ramps up into being a poo poo ton of money every round. If it shows up, I just tend to try and buy as many of them as I can, and maybe a village or 2, so that I can use it twice in a turn.

It does ramp that fast. In three uses in a three player game, it + 2 copper is a Province. And multiple Pirate Ships stack.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Pirate Ship is really only great in multiplayer or when there's not much else in the way of coin. Filling up your deck with cantrips will slow it down, Lighthouse and especially Secret Chamber are pretty great counters.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

The real pain in the rear end card in Seaside is Ghost Ship, which is a card that remodels the entire game into a game that is just about Ghost Ships.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

OmegaGoo posted:

It does ramp that fast. In three uses in a three player game, it + 2 copper is a Province. And multiple Pirate Ships stack.

Woah that is not how that card works at all.

Each pirate ship use puts a maximum of one token on your map.

Pirate ship is usually unusable in 2p, situationally somewhat good in 3p, and sometimes very good in 4p.

There's a reason it was in the list of Top 5 worst $4 cards.

Toshimo fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Apr 27, 2015

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Tekopo posted:

The real pain in the rear end card in Seaside is Ghost Ship, which is a card that remodels the entire game into a game that is just about Ghost Ships.

Rabble+Ghost Ship is a thing to see :unsmigghh:

e:Sea Hag is also a p lovely attack

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

Toshimo posted:

Woah that is not how that card works at all.

Each pirate ship use puts a maximum of one token on your map.

Pirate ship is usually unusable in 2p, situationally somewhat good in 3p, and sometimes very good in 4p.

There's a reason it was in the list of Top 5 worst $4 cards.

So it does. I have been having a really bad RTFC problem recently.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Tekopo posted:

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

Rutibex posted:

That's the part where you are wrong. If buying the Agricola decks was cheap I would have done it already. They go for $20 a piece at minimum, plus shipping (you will never see these in a store) and there are like 10 of them. If I wanted to get them all I'm looking at $200 minimum. A brand new Agricola set costs $50-$70 depending on where you buy it, and if it's on sale. That's a huge price difference, assuming they don't plan to make the new Agricola set $200.

Right, and this is just conjecture on my part, but I am assuming that if they are going to collect all the cards into one box and keep the price point at 70-80 for the game, I don't know why they would say "lol gently caress you guys for owning old copies" and not sell the cards for the new edition individually so you don't have to buy an entirely new copy of the game. Maybe I'm wrong and they're huge dicks. Either way, you should still buy Agricola now because it rules and gently caress if there is a new edition coming out, you can buy whatever else they want you to buy because it's great.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Deceptive Thinker posted:

The best part of Dominion is that there are 236 different cards
Don't like a few? you've still got quadrillions of possible boards

jivjov posted:

And you're complaining about 2 cards in Dark Ages. Blacklist those two in your randomizer program of choice and keep the remaining 30+

I'll throw out some more detailed explanations of why DA and Guilds don't work very well later, but I want to address this argument because I see it a lot (not just for this game, but others).

Artificially removing cards from the pool is a version of House Ruling a game, which is not compatible with playing online with strangers, dropping into an LGS with strangers, or playing any game in a remotely competitive sense (which may, or may not, be to your taste). It's a crap workaround to use when design falls down and is thrown about too lightly for my taste. It should be viewed in exactly the same way as House Ruling other games with design flaws: an option to make it more palatable to you and your friends, but not an excuse for an initial poor design choice.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I'd argue it's an official variant rather than house rule.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

Strongly agree.

For me, I play Dominion with the same people regularly. We don't ban cards, but we do veto them in a given context. We'll random a set, then tweak it until it looks interesting. Like, Goons can be fun and we wouldn't want it gone, but there's lots of boards that it's just going to trample over and make everyone's decks look similar - generally if there's exactly one strong-looking combo on the board that's bad. We also hate having too many durdly "Pearl Diver" type effects that cumulatively make turns slow. The closest thing we might have to a ban is Embargo. Somehow, that card has been a factor in all of our worst games.

On Guilds/Dark Ages: I accept that there might be a lot of bad Dominion cards for use in repeated competitive play, but I don't think we (or most "physical card" people) play enough rounds to feel it (lately we've been playing once a day, but that still makes us pretty casual compared to long term/digital players). Like, maybe Baker is just a terrible idea or something (or maybe serious players love it, I don't know) - but for us we definitely love it: it seems reasonable power-wise, coins are cool, and the setup effect is novel and shakes up the game a bit. So whether it's a good part in the game's long term balance/health or not, I'm glad it was in the box. Similarly, we haven't played a lot of Dark Ages games, so the Shelters seem really cool and interesting and I prefer them to Estates (even though sometimes Necropolis can power out some early lucky BS).

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
I'm curious to see the arguments why you think DA and Guilds are inferior

edit: I totally played a Baker/Pirate ship game the other day with some friends, they all opened with Baker/X, I went Ship/Ship
I didn't win, but I didn't come in last either

Deceptive Thinker fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 27, 2015

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Gotta agree as well. It's true even to the extent that there have been in depth discussions with Donald X on dominion strategy and other forums about the best way to deal with banning/vetoing cards in the next iteration of Dominion Online, with Donald strongly in favor of integrating a multi-tiered solution that works for everyone. It's also why you have things like the suggested sets and the kingdom design challenges on dominion strategy; the nature of the game means there will be one-note setups, so advanced players are going to want more control over kingdoms to create something interesting and unique.

I also believe they use pre-built/pre-approved sets in competitive Dominion so you don't get a championship game that's like "oh welp Rebuild is in this kingdom, guess everyone will just spam that and we'll see who gets luckiest". There's not really a great solution for sitting down with strangers, but you can try to discuss with them if they do vetoing or whatever, it's something a lot of groups do.

I get the argument that it is a non-ideal workaround, but I also feel like it's been a part of the game since day one. In the base game you have the randomizers but also the suggested sets which are contradictory ideas, and the original rulebook states "players can choose the 10 Kingdom cards using any method they agree on". I also don't really see a better solution outside of just drastically limiting the amount of cards and ideas, which seems boring and can still lead to something like an "all village" game regardless of how well the cards are balanced.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Any interest in playing a PbP of Pax Profiriana? I've just seen there is a Vassal module for it.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I think Dominion has the same problem that some videogames have, where if you have too many varities of characters/classes then some of them are going to have trouble feeling unique, and some of them are going to be overpowered at any given time, and that is really genuinely just the way it has to be because there's no perfect fix, period. Obviously in Dominion you can't just go back and make all pirate ships costs 5, and now let's see how many people play pirate ships, but there's always going to be difficulty balancing the game unless you essentially make everything some variant of village. This has been discussed to death in dota/lol threads for the past 5+ years because with pools of 100+ player characters, 10 of which are in any given game, they have had the exact same issues.

Toshimo posted:

Artificially removing cards from the pool is a version of House Ruling a game, which is not compatible with playing online with strangers, dropping into an LGS with strangers, or playing any game in a remotely competitive sense (which may, or may not, be to your taste). It's a crap workaround to use when design falls down and is thrown about too lightly for my taste. It should be viewed in exactly the same way as House Ruling other games with design flaws: an option to make it more palatable to you and your friends, but not an excuse for an initial poor design choice.

Do you feel this way about boards with 3+ village types? In full randomization these boards are going to happen, and most people are going to veto them because you just don't need village, worker village, mining village, and city in the same game. Does that make it a poor design choice to create those cards? Do we need even more complicated randomizer formulae to ensure that there are only 0-2 village variants on any given board?

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Apr 27, 2015

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Fat Samurai posted:

Any interest in playing a PbP of Pax Profiriana? I've just seen there is a Vassal module for it.

I'd jump on that once finals are over next Friday

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Toshimo posted:

I'll throw out some more detailed explanations of why DA and Guilds don't work very well later, but I want to address this argument because I see it a lot (not just for this game, but others).

I'd go with you on this if you were talking about a couple dozen cards you wanted gone...but you have precisely 2 that you've named that you don't like. Nothing is broken by deciding that there are 2 types of card out of over 200 (i.e. Less than 1%) that you just don't want in your games.

It's not a 'poor design choice' if you just happen to not like a couple cards. You don't like them, and that's fine. As the rule book says, you pick your Kingdom however you want. If that's by way of "completely random minus these couple", that's a-ok not only by the official rules but also by any reasonable social contract around playing Dominion.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Nevvy Z posted:

I think Dominion has the same problem that some videogames have, where if you have too many varities of characters/classes then some of them are going to have trouble feeling unique, and some of them are going to be overpowered at any given time, and that is really genuinely just the way it has to be because there's no perfect fix, period. Obviously in Dominion you can't just go back and make all pirate ships costs 5, and now let's see how many people play pirate ships, but there's always going to be difficulty balancing the game unless you essentially make everything some variant of village. This has been discussed to death in dota/lol threads for the past 5+ years because with pools of 100+ player characters, 10 of which are in any given game, they have had the exact same issues.

Do you feel this way about boards with 3+ village types? In full randomization these boards are going to happen, and most people are going to veto them because you just don't need village, worker village, mining village, and city in the same game. Does that make it a poor design choice to create those cards? Do we need even more complicated randomizer formulae to ensure that there are only 0-2 village variants on any given board?

Just wait till 504 comes out, where you're literally mashing different game mechanics together in a dominion like fashion to get...something. It sounds hilarious.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

silvergoose posted:

Just wait till 504 comes out, where you're literally mashing different game mechanics together in a dominion like fashion to get...something. It sounds hilarious.

What is this? a game? I'm gonna have to google this.

I fell out of this thread for a while. I picked up Twilight Struggle and Tragedy looper thanks to you guys, a while back, both are amazing.

Anything new that everyone is talkinga bout as the best thing? And when is this new Agricola coming out?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Nevvy Z posted:

I fell out of this thread for a while. I picked up Twilight Struggle and Tragedy looper thanks to you guys, a while back, both are amazing.

Anything new that everyone is talkinga bout as the best thing? And when is this new Agricola coming out?

It sure is! http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/175878/504

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Nevvy Z posted:

Argent is pretty high on the (relatively) new hotness meter, I haven't heard much talk about any other new games.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

silvergoose posted:

Haha, wow, that looks insane. I'm sure a bunch of combinations won't be as workable/fun as others.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Nevvy Z posted:

New dominion expansion just came out last week, Adventures.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

JazzFlight posted:

Haha, wow, that looks insane. I'm sure a bunch of combinations won't be as workable/fun as others.

Yeah I have a friend who playtested it last gathering and maybe this one too? He said it was really crazy and he's not entirely sure how it works, but it mostly seems to.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Madmarker posted:

Argent is pretty high on the (relatively) new hotness meter, I haven't heard much talk about any other new games.

Wir Sind Das Volk :colbert:

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Pirate Ship's a good card, but it's not as strong as it looks on first read because of the way the game flows. It attacks your opponent's treasures when most of their decks are just coppers that they're happy to see trashed, but stops attacking when your opponents have lots of silvers and golds that you'd actually want to trash.

For what it's worth, I think Rebuild is a dumb card, and should have had almost anything except "+1 Action" printed on it. But I also dislike Scout, Lighthouse, Mountebank, and Jack of all Trades, and I don't use that as a basis for saying that Intrigue, Seaside, Prosperity, and Hinterlands are terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

Wir Sind Das Volk :colbert:

I stand corrected, I didn't realize that was a new game.