Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Andorra posted:

The very existence of Six Chix blows my mind. Each strip is done by one woman who has nothing to do with any of the other women, and they just do one a week. I personally enjoy Piro's and Piccolo's strips, but I still don't get who came up with the idea to make a strip like that.

I had assumed that the chix themselves had come up with it, but apparently it was former editor-in-chief of King Features Jay Kennedy who had made it his mission to be on the lookout for new cartoonists and to try and bring more women creators and readers to the comics. You're right, it is odd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Piranha Club is loving awful.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Jane's World

Non Sequitur

Kliban

That's going to hurt. Even if you are another Porcupine.

9 Chickweed Lane 4/27/2004

Zits

Kevin & Kell

:ughh:

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Crap, sorry, totally forgot Phoebe... Mondays suck.

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Aardmania posted:

Dick Tracy

I realize artistic license and all that, but it drives me a little nuts that those gold bars are so huge. Gold that size would weigh over 115 kg/250 lbs each.

Expecting comix to be accurate :argh:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set is into recycling.

Working Daze moves into Nancy's territory.

Cousin It! IT! Get it? GET IT? :haw:

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Just the creeps today, culdesac later:

PROMISE!

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Monty

Mike du Jour

Intelligent Life

Retail

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

RolandTower
Nov 19, 2003

Guns n' Roses n' Deus Ex Machina
Bleak Gremlin
I wonder who designed our hospital's hand washing safety posters... They seem vaguely familiar...

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They're not very good police. Do you think they purchase a lot of ex-military hardware?

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

Mr. Squishy posted:

I had assumed that the chix themselves had come up with it, but apparently it was former editor-in-chief of King Features Jay Kennedy who had made it his mission to be on the lookout for new cartoonists and to try and bring more women creators and readers to the comics. You're right, it is odd.
King Features probably wanted to put on a facade of progressiveness by having assigning six women to one new strip instead of giving each of them their own strip and then saying "look how progressive we are, we have six more women comic creators."

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Darthemed posted:

Calvin and Hobbes

I never really got this strip as a kid. The punchline didn't make sense to me for some reason. Now I realize that at the time, I completely agreed with Calvin.

Nowadays I don't even agree with my own Dog Comix.

That Sunday strip just blew the entire setting wide open. At first I thought they were just excavating the existing water lines, but there are a bunch of buried hydrant tops there. If dogs really did put those there, then it means they were there before the city was built, and they're capable of much greater engineering feats than we ever knew. They ruled this world once, and they're only waiting until the day they take it back.

I loving CALLED IT.

Ballard Street

The best we can hope for is equality. If they want to tip the scales of power, they will.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Isn't there a character in 9CL that is a former nun, and if so is this from the "flashback" strips her story?

Also, this may be nitpicking, but I don't think "cliche" was the right word for that MDJ. Probably just "Sorry, I think we're in the wrong joke" would have been better.

Also also, that Creeps. :allears:

F Minus

Mary Worth

If you're not completely satisfied with your Adam after 30 days, return him for a full refund. Now, what can I do to put you in this relationship today?

Rex Morgan MD

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

If you're not completely satisfied with your Adam after 30 days, return him for a full refund. Now, what can I do to put you in this relationship today?

"I'm not interested in being in a relationship with him."
"Well, why don't you try anyway?"

This poor woman's going to get nagged into a relationship she doesn't want, isn't she?

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Evil Mastermind posted:

"I'm not interested in being in a relationship with him."
"Well, why don't you try anyway?"

This poor woman's going to get nagged into a relationship she doesn't want, isn't she?

And thus Mary's task is complete. On to the next vict...poor soul needing her guidance!

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (February 27, 1928)

Peanuts (April 29, 1968)

To be honest, that line lands a lot harder in Snoopy, Come Home.

Funky Winkerbean

I couldn't think of a more awkward way to ram these two plot threads together, but that's why I'm not the paid professional.

Popeye

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (January 26-27, 1927)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Apr 27, 2015

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Sexy

women

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

Aardmania posted:

Piranha Club

MORE EXPENSIVE AND REQUIRING A loving VISA TO GET TO IF YOU'RE AMERICAN

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

EasyEW posted:

Rip Haywire

The bomb timer isn't counting down.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
How old is Piranha Club guy? Is he the lazy newspaper comic version of Captain America, found frozen in a block of ice since 1945?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

goatface posted:

How old is Piranha Club guy? Is he the lazy newspaper comic version of Captain America, found frozen in a block of ice since 1945?

Bud Grace was born in 1944.

Oh, and:

Wikipedia posted:

Grace has a Ph.D. in physics from Florida State University,[2] and worked as a nuclear physicist at FSU before turning cartoonist in 1979.

Learn something new every day.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Selachian posted:

Bud Grace was born in 1944.

Oh, and:

Learn something new every day.

That explains the odd sense of humor then.

And why not a Cul-de-sac?

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
I thought this thread might be interested that Stephanic McMillan found a dead body in her yard and made a comic about it. I didn't know she could draw better than Minimum Security....

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

VoidBurger posted:

I thought this thread might be interested that Stephanic McMillan found a dead body in her yard and made a comic about it. I didn't know she could draw better than Minimum Security....
That's actually a lot better than Minimum Security. Good job, Steph.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

gently caress you, Gunther. gently caress you right up the rear end with a rake.

I'm with Brdshtt.

The Amazing Spider-Man

You just forced your way into his home and broke his hand, but I guess he's a dick for being pissed about it.

Sally Forth

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
To be fair, "Calculus test, bio lab, and physics lecture" does sound like a depressing day.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

VoidBurger posted:

I do like that she still managed to fit some Minimum Security dialogue in when she was being reassured over the phone that she wasn't a terrible person.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Midnight Moth posted:

To be fair, "Calculus test, bio lab, and physics lecture" does sound like a depressing day.

I never had a bio lab but I miss the other things here in the world of jobs. :smith:

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Labs suck, but the other two were always pretty decent. Now, grading calc tests, on the other hand...

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Just look at that dog.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Pogo (April 29, 1957)

Peanuts: Year Two (July 7-9, 1952)

Super-Fun-Pak Comix

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I love that every single strip on gocomics has at least one comment under it like IAmJayBlue's where they really earnestly engage with the cartoon characters as if they were real people who will read their comment.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Charles Boyce, master cartoonist.

Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Dustin

Because you like the way it looks and want to hang it, or don't want water, soil and leaves all over your floor.

Bleeker

LOL in two years Bleeker will be "old technology."

On the Fastrack

Does everyone just upgrade right away?

Safe Havens

...Maybe you need Windows 10?

Recess

Shouldn't the bones be powder too?

Midnight Moth fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Apr 27, 2015

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Lost Side of Suburbia

Dick Tracy

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

Deep Dark Fears

:ohdear:

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Was someone saying Gilchrist is out of touch? Eh? Eh?

That's right, we've jumped forward, in color no less, all the way to Max loving Headroom.

Although this Max Headroom puts me in mind of shrink rays and strippers.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

The Sphinxster posted:

Was someone saying Gilchrist is out of touch? Eh? Eh?

That's right, we've jumped forward, in color no less, all the way to Max loving Headroom.

Although this Max Headroom puts me in mind of shrink rays and strippers.

Before I read the dialogue I thought it was a hosed-up Johnny Bravo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Yeah, right in there.

• Locked thread