Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

jonathan posted:

The sweeping right hand turn with crest when you run maple valley reverse. Which real life track has one of those ? Its an american track. Lots of green grass on the sides.

Maybe its Watkins glen ?

Road Atlanta?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Initial thoughts on the G27, very glad I got it and it makes Assetto Corsa playable (vs the 360 pad). Threw some speaker stand spikes on the pedals and they feel decent, desk is wobbly as hell and kind of high for my seat. Had to throw a book under the shifter to latch the desk. All in all, well worth the price I got it for. Strongly considering making a DIY cockpit out of PVC (bachelor goon).

Was looking forward to some Dirt 3, but I'm reading that there is a bug with the new Steam edition. I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
hi live for speed is really fun drat

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
So I've owned a few Thrustmaster TX wheels in the past. One of them had a power supply problem so they replaced the wheel base. When they replace a wheel base they send a new one, and have you cut the USB cable on the old one and take a picture and send it to them. Well, I did that and held on to it. Then the replacement one had a completely different fault (a problem with the motor) so they sent me another replacement. They had me do the same thing, cut the USB cable, take a picture, send the pic, and that's it. I asked both times if I should throw the wheel base away to which they replied "You can do whatever you want with it." Well, I took the power supply from the one that had a motor fault and put it in the one that had the power supply fault, soldered the USB cable back on, and the thing works great. I have no use for two, so if someone wants a working Thrustmaster TX wheel base with stock pedals and stock wheel rim (everything that comes in the retail package) at a steep discount, now's your chance. I've been doing all of my sim-racing all week with my home hack/repair job and it's been rock solid. The only problem is that there is no longer a warranty on it because A) It's serial number is probably blacklisted as an RMA item, and B) even if it wasn't, when they saw the USB cable was cut and then soldered they would not repair it.

Anyway, if anyone is interested I'd gladly let this thing go for $120 + shipping. The box is big and it's heavy so shipping is probably going to be between $30 and $50 depending on your location.

I'll get some pictures, a video of it working, and an SA mart thread up tonight to make it official.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Apr 7, 2015

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Transfagarasan for AC just released its biggest update in a long while. I'm pretty busy for the next couple weeks, but sometime soon after that I'll finally get around to tidying up the mod list in the OP. Still lots of car mods that haven't released patches for 1.1 yet though.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Here's the SA Mart thread for the wheel: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3711962&perpage=40

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Jehde posted:

Transfagarasan for AC just released its biggest update in a long while.

It's good.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Made a thing for my wheel. Works pretty nice.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
How can you drive with your TV like that?

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

How can you drive with your TV like that?

On the wall?

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
Your TV is super high on the wall and pretty far away, especially with that field of view. You've gone through the effort of building a wheel stand, do the extra step of setting your screen up for a field of view that isn't absolute poo poo. You'll be able to drive better with a decent FOV, and more importantly you'll have a more enjoyable experience.

For reference, here's my setup, posted a while ago. The screens are right at eye level. I will eventually move them a few inches closer, but I can't do that until I figure out a better solution for my keyboard.

E: if that's in your living room or something I can sort of understand why you would have your TV that high, but if its main purpose is racing then you should definitely mount it lower and move your seat closer if possible.

The Science Goy fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Apr 12, 2015

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I sit on the couch with a wheel stand pro about ten feet from a 52" tv. When I'm racing the only thing I see is the tv and everything else just gets turned out. The shifter is also up at wheel level. With all of these things being so unnatural and unlike driving a real car it would seem as if it wouldn't feel right but as soon as I start moving down the track I don't notice it anymore and it just feels natural.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You will be a lot faster with a better FOV. Sitting so far away with an FOV like that makes everything seem faster than it really is. It's hard to explain, but it makes it much easier to drive.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Yeah, that is not used for just racing. I'm not concerned about putting that directly infront of me.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Good choice on the cockpit, by the way - they're study as hell, no flex. Does your wheel ever rotate down when you use it? I built the full table on mine, so there's no way anything can move, but yours looks like it's relying entirely on clamps to keep things in place.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

CaseFace McGee posted:

Good choice on the cockpit, by the way - they're study as hell, no flex. Does your wheel ever rotate down when you use it? I built the full table on mine, so there's no way anything can move, but yours looks like it's relying entirely on clamps to keep things in place.

Everything is very sturdy (PVC primer/cement doesn't mess around). There are 4 T pieces that are under that steering column and it is pretty stable. I got some black spray paint and I think I'll look at doing something for feet or wheels since I move it out of the way. I can separate the front part from the chair, which is good for moving it or if I want to fit the seat in closer. The G27 has threaded pieces already in each control (2 in the wheel, 2 in the shifters, 6 in the pedals) and I used those to secure them to the wood.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

I need to work on a PVC setup like that, only with a swappable pedal section and parts to attach my HOTAS to for when I do flight sims/Elite: Dangerous

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Kilonum posted:

I need to work on a PVC setup like that, only with a swappable pedal section and parts to attach my HOTAS to for when I do flight sims/Elite: Dangerous

I didn't hard mount my pedals until very recently - only when I increased the angle of that board. They stayed put just fine before that, with just the grippy things in the pedal base itself. Google "Simul8r 2" - that's what both of ours are based on. I made a larger table section for my triples and speakers, you should be able to adjust the plans for what you need.

Or just be a lazy bum and buy an Obutto setup.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

CaseFace McGee posted:

I didn't hard mount my pedals until very recently - only when I increased the angle of that board. They stayed put just fine before that, with just the grippy things in the pedal base itself. Google "Simul8r 2" - that's what both of ours are based on. I made a larger table section for my triples and speakers, you should be able to adjust the plans for what you need.

Or just be a lazy bum and buy an Obutto setup.

Nah, I like the feeling of building poo poo myself, hell, I ordered the parts on Friday to make this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOfJfpZ5E5I

I don't even have something to mount it to (though I might just bluetack it to a piece of PVC that is in trn blutacked to my G27)

I also want to figure out a way to get it to work with ETS2 (on top of everything it already works with)

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Hmmm... Wonder where they're gonna get a model for it.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Who/where do I throw money at to have a cockpit for gaming. I already have a wheel and pedal combo. If possible I'd like to be able to break it down when not in use.

Also I'm in Canada

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

jonathan posted:

Who/where do I throw money at to have a cockpit for gaming. I already have a wheel and pedal combo. If possible I'd like to be able to break it down when not in use.

Also I'm in Canada

Human Racing has rigs for sale. They have an HQ in Canada.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Project CARS went gold and now has a May 8th release date.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L5qZdo8584

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

Excellent news, I had been holding off on preordering because of the repeated delays.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I'm going to have to double dip because my idiot friends refuse to race on PC even though they have full capable gaming pc.

Also means I need a new wheel since my G27 won't work with both of my consoles...gently caress.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Norns posted:

I'm going to have to double dip because my idiot friends refuse to race on PC even though they have full capable gaming pc.

Also means I need a new wheel since my G27 won't work with both of my consoles...gently caress.

New friends should be cheaper

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

holocaust bloopers posted:

Project CARS went gold and now has a May 8th release date.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L5qZdo8584

Fuckin' finally.

Also that Audi Quattro will indeed be pankykapus' model, he just confirmed it in the thread. I love how AC keeps integrating these fantastic mod projects as fully featured cars.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
Are the F1 2013 / 2014 games any good? I see they're on sale on the Humble Store: https://www.humblebundle.com/store/promo/racing_weekend/

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I only played a free weekend but it felt pretty Codemasters to me. Sim-cade at its best imo.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I didn't like the 2013 and 14 F1 games.

The F1 racing in Game Stock Car takes large dumps on them both.

ACs F1 mods seem pretty decent as well. I don't have much time with those though.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
F1 2015 is supposedly making strides to be much heavier on the sim side of the equation. We'll see.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

F1 2015 is supposedly making strides to be much heavier on the sim side of the equation. We'll see.

Codemasters says this with every single one of their games. It's always bullshit. They lie so much.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

I said come in! posted:

Codemasters says this with every single one of their games. It's always bullshit. They lie so much.

They were pretty forthcoming about GRID Autosport.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

They were pretty forthcoming about GRID Autosport.

i'll believe it when i see 2015,

still never managhed to make the wheel feel good, with 2010 or 2011, or 2013

which sucks because minus the lovely first lap AI it looks like it's actually kinda deep.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Apparently Codemasters has suddenly put Dirt Rally up on Steam Early Access. I'm not holding my breath for an accurate simulation, but it might be fun.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
There are some people streaming it on Steam already, looks pretty nice.

"While most of Codemasters were working on last year’s Grid Autosport, a small team of developers were experimenting with the studio’s EGO engine. They weren’t interested in making a good looking racer, they were solely focused on the physics engine. What they made was Dirt Rally, a PC-only off road simulator."
From this: http://www.pcgamesn.com/dirt-rally/meet-dirt-rally-codemasters-best-new-game-in-years-and-its-out-today

I'll keep an eye on it. Sounds like they are going for something that is closer to a sim and less radical monster energy drink. It's going to have league support too, so that's nice.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Really tempted to grab that. But, Project Cars is almost out, and Asseto Corsa just got an update.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
I actually picked it up this morning and it's not to bad. My biggest issue is that the codriver is totally silent, as far as bugs go it's a doozy in a rally game.

I will say that the handling feels pretty good, the tracks are longer and it's still pretty as can be.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

real_scud posted:

I actually picked it up this morning and it's not to bad. My biggest issue is that the codriver is totally silent, as far as bugs go it's a doozy in a rally game.

I will say that the handling feels pretty good, the tracks are longer and it's still pretty as can be.

The codriver might not even be implemented yet, since the game still isn't finished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I just bought it after reading some favorable comparisons to RBR.

• Locked thread