Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
once you're a thousand+ years old i feel like 200 might be the equivalent of a jaunt to the store, all told

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
It's still a "sixth" of his life up to that point.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

surc posted:

One of the things that makes me love God Complex so much is that I totally didn't watch it as anything approaching a horror story.

Yeah, the format of the show read secondarily as horror to me, but primarily it was a Doctor Who "base under siege" story. Enigma is a straightforward application of the Lovecraft "unknowable horror" mechanic. The fact that the Doctor has to figure everything out at the end means it can't/won't do that, so it can never fully commit to that type of story. (Midnight being an exception, and powerful precisely because it was an exception.)

As a "base under siege" story, I think it still has significant faults (Toxx's complaints about inadequate characterization of the transient characters is accurate IMO), but it does what I think it's trying to do better than what Toxx thought it was trying to do.

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
Yeah I never saw it as trying to be scary so much as just bizarre. It's why the first fear we see is a gorilla, and why The Doctor seeing the monster for the first time is followed immediately by a chase scene complete with wacky music and a Scooby-Doo hallway.

I'd say it was certainly meant to be disconcerting, but not horror.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Mmm. I mean the whole setting was that the system was breaking down and everything. If it had been working, Rita probably would've been a sixteen year old being towered over in her old family home again on a loop. It was just... stuck on 80's hotel and doing the best it could. It was outright stated that the fears weren't at full effectiveness.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
To respond to my "don't like it when the Doctor just leaves" post, the reason I don't like it is because I feel it maybe throws the scale of everything off. It feels like The Doctor On Holiday might take longer than some of his regenerations. Perhaps the correct assumption to believe that each regeneration has really lasted for a millennium or so, but there's nothing in there to make me believe that.

In the short term of the revival series, the Doctor consistently calling himself nine hundred years old. Until recent seasons, where it's well over that. Almost all of that additional age has happened in the form of big, big time skips in Eleven's run. It leads to the feeling that his idea of "being away for a bit" outlasts many regenerations. Viewed as a line, Eleven takes up so much of the Doctor's age. But the whole point of Moff's writing is "don't look at time like a linear thing." But even if people put that on hold for the sake of the writing in the show, in a meta context, in the fan community where fanfiction and discussions and conventions and review threads happen, people do look at this stuff like a line.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
It's hip to be square

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

yo occ what's your steam ID man, figure this'll make it easier to coordinate monhan

also the God Complex is one of my favorites of the season and the guy who wrote it (who also wrote Vampires in Venice and another one from the season after this that I liked very much) is one of my favorite who writers

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Oh Occ, if you have any questions for Rob Shearman, ask them now, I'm meeting him again tomorrow.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

1) who are you rob shearman

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

He wrote "Dalek"

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

1) who came up with the story concept, was that you or RTD

2) (if it was him) were you concerned about the fact that the first revival-era dalek story would wreck the curve for all subsequent post-revival era dalek stories? the story you wrote was incredible but essentially only works if the daleks never, ever came back; once DW was renewed for a second series the emotional resonance of "Dalek" gets sold out as a matter of course. did this at all influence how you wrote this episode? in other words, did you write this episode completely in a vacuum, removed from the possibility that the show could get renewed?

that's it probs?

@fungah http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198020133904/

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
The answer to #1 is almost assuredly Shearman, as he wrote the audio story "Jubilee", and "Dalek" is a remake/retooling of that story, although it's still possible that Rusty was the one who asked him to retool it.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The daleks came back later that series though!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It's still a "sixth" of his life up to that point.

yeah guess that's true :/

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

nerd spotted

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Toxxupation posted:

nerd spotted

Mathematical genius, thanking you (according to the avatar at least)

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Mathematical genius, thanking you (according to the avatar at least)

there's more bloomin' onion than bloomin' genius about you, JaKiri.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

forbidden lesbian posted:

yeah guess that's true :/

Yeah it's not that he spent X amount of years away doing whatever- that's fine for some one like the Doctor. Ten did it and I had no complaints- it worked.

It's that he spent two centuries away. That's a hell of a long time, even for the Doctor.

kant
May 12, 2003

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I don't know if I want to count human hybrid daleks as real daleks.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

kant posted:

I don't know if I want to count human hybrid daleks as real daleks.

The entire human/dalek hybrid thing is just the worst thing to ever happen

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I feel like this is topical to this thread (really the internet but...)

http://www.theonion.com/articles/ma...%3ANA%3AInFocus

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Burkion posted:

I can't speak for him, for obvious reasons, but the reason why it annoys me is that it feels super arbitrary and excessive.

He may have said he's been gone for 200+ years, but it just feels like he's only been gone for a few years at most, like Ten.

200 years is a VERY drat LONG TIME to not follow a character- unless they were doing absolutely loving nothing, they should have been changed by those events and should be recognizably not the same.

Even for the Doctor, who we've often seen change over a relatively short time. Yet 11 pretty much walks into one of those rotating doors and by the time it brings him back in, he says he's been gone for centuries. It rings hollow.

Of course there's an easy answer to this- he's lying his rear end off, and in fact has only been traveling for all of a day, got bored, and came to find some humans to kick around with.

I always thought of Eleven's personality as largely him putting on a face and pretending nothing bad ever happened to him. Lalalalalalala--Time war? What Time war? So it makes sense to me that he'd have no problem slipping back to acting exactly the same. He's effectively faking a smile, so it looks the same every time he fakes it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Burkion posted:

Even for the Doctor, who we've often seen change over a relatively short time. Yet 11 pretty much walks into one of those rotating doors and by the time it brings him back in, he says he's been gone for centuries. It rings hollow.
We've also seen long periods without much change. Three and Four don't change that much over their (quite lengthy) tenures.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Doctor Spaceman posted:

We've also seen long periods without much change. Three and Four don't change that much over their (quite lengthy) tenures.

Three actually didn't stick around that long in universe, just because we got to see most of his stuff linearly. For the most part he was stuck on Earth.

And he did change a fair bit- though that was mostly just softening of his character into a more kind, forgiving man.

Four just got really tired. But then so did Tom!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Burkion posted:

Three actually didn't stick around that long in universe, just because we got to see most of his stuff linearly. For the most part he was stuck on Earth.
His age is always going to be a bit bullshitty (because continuity in those days was whatever the writers remembered and cared about) but it goes from something like 450 in the middle of Two to ~750 at the end of Three; someone in there had a decent run.

It really wouldn't surpise me if the reason he's (nominally) 900 at the start of the revival is because it's the 9th Doctor.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It just doesn't feel right that he gallivanted around seeing the wonders of the universe for 200 years and he never met anyone more important or worth remembering in all that time than Amy and Rory. And it's such a weird figure, like 5 years would be plenty for the whole Doctor Running From His Destiny thing they're trying to convey. When in doubt go for things the human mind can actually conceive of. Not that it matters, because you can't outrun destiny, and the Doctor's destiny is Lake Silencio, no matter what unrealistic length of time he spends pottering about.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

He's making up the 200 years he's been gone just like he makes up his age. He was probably gone for a couple of months, or for a thousand years, and just forgot to bring a watch.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Bicyclops posted:

He's making up the 200 years he's been gone just like he makes up his age. He was probably gone for a couple of months, or for a thousand years, and just forgot to bring a watch.

Two days, on a very quick planet.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
The noble Doctor is just trying to regain seniority over Certified Old Man Rory.

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

His age is always going to be a bit bullshitty (because continuity in those days was whatever the writers remembered and cared about) but it goes from something like 450 in the middle of Two to ~750 at the end of Three; someone in there had a decent run.

It really wouldn't surpise me if the reason he's (nominally) 900 at the start of the revival is because it's the 9th Doctor.

Romana says he's 750-something in The Ribos Operation, and she's presumably basing that on Time Lord records. But that'd mean that 5-10, including the Time War, lived a combined 150 years, so who the gently caress knows?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I think it's just safe to presume nobody (including the Doctor) has any idea how old he actually is anymore, and he just throws out large sounding numbers and shrugs because who really cares anyway v:shobon:v

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

I think it's just safe to presume nobody (including the Doctor) has any idea how old he actually is anymore, and he just throws out large sounding numbers and shrugs because who really cares anyway v:shobon:v

Yeah, especially pre-revival it's a bit silly.

My main point was that regardless of specifics there have been previous versions that have lived for hundreds of years without much change.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
On the other hand, there were Doctors who didn't have any breaks between companions and so who seemingly got through their entire life in just a couple of years.

Of course a creative writer for an audio drama could say that the Doctor dropped his companion off on a planet for a couple of days and went off and had lots of other adventures on their own or with some other companion. (Dunno if that has ever been a thing in the audio dramas.)

But the on-screen evidence is that the Doctor is pretty careless with his lives. Some versions of the Doctor manage to last several hundred years before he gets himself killed (and we only see a fraction of those adventures)... while other times he has burned through 2 or 3 regenerations in a decade.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

your evil twin posted:

But the on-screen evidence is that the Doctor is pretty careless with his lives. Some versions of the Doctor manage to last several hundred years before he gets himself killed (and we only see a fraction of those adventures)... while other times he has burned through 2 or 3 regenerations in a decade.

9 and 10 at least have the excuse that they were depressed about what happened in the time war. Filled with regret and with nothing to live for they played fast and loose with their lives. He was so lonely he got way too close to Rose -- clearly his judgement was significantly impaired. :v:

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

My main point was that regardless of specifics there have been previous versions that have lived for hundreds of years without much change.

your evil twin posted:

On the other hand, there were Doctors who didn't have any breaks between companions and so who seemingly got through their entire life in just a couple of years.

I can't tell if this is what you guys are saying, but it totally makes sense that different regenerations would live for different lengths of time, because they have different personalities and tackle situations in their lives differently.

your evil twin posted:

Of course a creative writer for an audio drama could say that the Doctor dropped his companion off on a planet for a couple of days and went off and had lots of other adventures on their own or with some other companion. (Dunno if that has ever been a thing in the audio dramas.)

The central conceit of the audio dramas is that they take place between shows/episodes so as to minimize stepping on TV plots, so yeah basically that's what happens in the audios, although they do get old companions on and tell new stories with them involved as well quite often.
On TV, we're also told that Eleven also dips out for River's birthdays or whatever (Good man goes to war), so it doesn't seem unreasonable to expect him to do it other times. :shrug:

surc fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Apr 28, 2015

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

One of the only complaints I have about the audios is that it actually kind of robs some of the TV moments of their poignancy. The great thing about Five's regeneration, for instance, is that he's sacrificing himself to save a companion he barely knows, but as of the audio stories, he's been traveling with her for a very long time. Part of what I like about Nine is that he has a very brief life, traveling with Rose for awhile, sort of regains his faith in humanity (and in himself). I'm sure the audio dramas, if they somehow got the rights, would have new companions for Eccleston.

That Eleven lives for longer (and long enough that he clearly just makes up numbers about how long he's been traveling) works for his Doctor. He's the one that is a bit more done feeling horrible about the Time War and just wants to enjoy the latest fez, getting the most out of every hat he happens upon.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

surc posted:

On TV, we're also told that Eleven also dips out for River's birthdays or whatever (Good man goes to war), so it doesn't seem unreasonable to expect him to do it other times. :shrug:

And according to the minisodes I believe they show he doesn't even have to drop them off. He just goes out to party when they are sleeping.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Trojan Kaiju posted:

And according to the minisodes I believe they show he doesn't even have to drop them off. He just goes out to party when they are sleeping.

I love in The Doctor's Wife when he's telling them where to find their bedroom (he can't understand why they don't want bunk beds :3:) Rory pauses for a moment to ask the Doctor if HE has a bedroom, and the question goes completely unanswered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

surc posted:

I can't tell if this is what you guys are saying, but it totally makes sense that different regenerations would live for different lengths of time, because they have different personalities and tackle situations in their lives differently.
Yup. It's why things like Eleven wandering around for a few hundred years never really bothered me, because he could be just that sort of person.

• Locked thread