Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Ebethron posted:

I run a cube that's mid way between a Peasant and Unpowered cube. I don't run premier removal cards (Bolt, Path), Walkers (for now) or the more powerful midrange cards like Thragtusk.

I think I will try out Lightning Berserker, Dragon Whisperer, Anafenza and a few of the Commands. Atarka's Command will be especially good and interesting if Landfall comes back with Battle for Zendikar.

I really like Ire Shaman, Axe Mom and the rest of the 2 drop megamorph cycle too - I might even double up on them. I'm even tempted by Deathmist Raptor, although it's a bit wonky, and by Shorecaster Elemental. Thunderbreak Regent is probably a little bit too strong for the environment I'm trying to build.

My cube's much the same but with a universal theme of +1/+1 counters. The 2-drop megamorphs will all have a spot in my cube, along with some of the following:

GhostAnafenza
Mirror Mockery
each of the uncommon Multicolor Dragons

I'm honestly more excited to see the commons and uncommons than I am to see anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

I feel the same way. The last few sets have been so incredibly bomby and list-changing for me I'm hoping that this set and future sets start to "fill in the gaps" with cards that I want better versions of. The new red Isamaru is a good example. I think in the last two blocks I've probably had at least 30 permanent inclusions.

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.

Ebethron posted:

I run a cube that's mid way between a Peasant and Unpowered cube. I don't run premier removal cards (Bolt, Path), Walkers (for now) or the more powerful midrange cards like Thragtusk.

Do you mind sharing this list? It sounds like something I've been trying to put together for my pauper league and I could use a starting point.

Ebethron
Apr 27, 2008

"I hear the coast is nice this time of year."
"If you're in the right business, it's nice all the year."

alphabrawl posted:

Do you mind sharing this list? It sounds like something I've been trying to put together for my pauper league and I could use a starting point.

I might be able to at some point, but currently it isn't on Cube Tutor or anything. It started off exclusively pauper, then I added m10 checklands and shocks, then some selected rares to fill out missing archetypes. For example U/W control can't really exist without Wraths, Ramp lacks decent targets at Peasant apart from Pelakka Wurm, decent black 6 and 7 drops are hard to find. Excluding the most powerful uncommon removal and the bombiest cards in magic's history gives the cube a pretty consistent power level.

Gorrister
May 14, 2014

logis posted:

some cubes also vary which color pair gets which (non-shock/dual) two color land (ie RW gets the pain land b/c you always need the mana for aggro and the cost doesnt matter, whereas GB gets the bounce land b/c its mana intensive large spells/creatures, whereas BW gets the filter land b/c of mana intensive costs)

I am of the opinion that its wrong to just jam cycles of lands. the BR decks probably want the fastland (blackcleave cliffs), same for like RW with the painland. BW really needs fetid heath, because that deck wants to go nighthawk into hero of bladehold. Then for BG and UG I like the innistrad checklands.

Gorrister fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Mar 15, 2015

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
Do goons have any experience with smaller cubes? I am planning to make mine 225 to start with. Ill most be drafting at some LGS's, and figure its a good way to start a play group. Also its much easier to keep track of cards with only 3 other people, although I am not too worried about that.

Also scroll rack or sensei's ?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Honestly I wouldn't waste a slot in a tiny cube on durdly stuff like top or scroll rack. I'd stick to as many different business spells as you can in order to promote deck diversity and keep things from growing stale.

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007

whydirt posted:

Honestly I wouldn't waste a slot in a tiny cube on durdly stuff like top or scroll rack. I'd stick to as many different business spells as you can in order to promote deck diversity and keep things from growing stale.

I think in certain decks like UR counter burn it wouldn't be durdly. I am taking a lot of inspiration from http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/8307 . Any reason why you feel its too durdly?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I guess my personal preference would be to only run as few artifacts as necessary in a small cube. A big reason I enjoy cube is the variety of decks you can draft and play. Small cubes are already going to see less variance than normal and high quality artifacts are going to show up in decks quite frequently. If that's not a problem for you, then I wouldn't worry about it.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

That argument makes a lot of sense.

Gorrister posted:

I am of the opinion that its wrong to just jam cycles of lands. the BR decks probably want the fastland (blackcleave cliffs), same for like RW with the painland. BW really needs fetid heath, because that deck wants to go nighthawk into hero of bladehold. Then for BG and UG I like the innistrad checklands.
I think you need to strike a balance between player expectations when it comes to what a fetchland actually "does" and breaking up cycles to benefit the decks the color combo is drafting, yeah. I also like 1-2 scrylands to go with the control or combo decks.

Man I really hope they reprint the filterlands closer to soon as opposed to never.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Holy crap, filterlands have gotten expensive. :stonk:

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

Xeom posted:

Do goons have any experience with smaller cubes? I am planning to make mine 225 to start with. Ill most be drafting at some LGS's, and figure its a good way to start a play group. Also its much easier to keep track of cards with only 3 other people, although I am not too worried about that.

Also scroll rack or sensei's ?

I'd make sure there's always competition for each colour - if you can build up to 270 instead of 225, you can support 6 drafters (225 supports 5, which leads to a number of unused cards, or an odd number of players (so one sits out each round)). It might be worth considering going with a 4-colour cube instead of the full 5 if you're building small, too - otherwise, 3-4 of your players will get to draft uncontested mono-colour decks. 4-players around a 5-colour cube will often lead to a rotating mass of one colour going to picks 13-15 every pack. You can always add in the 5th colour when you make up your list to the full 360 later.

If you're worried about keeping track of cards, just don't put in anything expensive that isn't a proxy. I only have a Peasant cube, and it still has proxies for every card over about £1 (unless I was given them by other players), since I didn't have the extra £60 kicking around to buy the last 40 cards I needed when I first drew up the list (and I've been lazy picking them up since). If someone walked out with their picks from my cube, I'd be gutted, but I'd only be out ~£20 (not that anyone will, but it's always a consideration). One of my friends printed the whole first MTGO powered cube onto card a couple of years ago, and we played with that - no-one cares that the Lotus isn't real, so long as they get to play with it.

Edit: Proxies aren't a bad idea regardless - if you can test the water with a proxied cube, you can find out if there's an audience for it before you go heavy into building. And if it fails, you're only out 3-400 sleeves (which I'm sure you can find takers for if you don't need them yourself) and an hour or two printing/cutting out pictures in front of the TV.

Death of Rats fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Mar 17, 2015

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
The idea behind 225 was that 45 cards would always be left out. Hopefully making the draft more interesting. I've got a good amount of proxies in my cube, but even with them it's looking like 1000+ dollars.

I've really been considering just switching over to a peasant cube. I could have built it already with the the money I've dumped into this other cube. It's just really fun drafting a powered cube.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Spiderdrake posted:

That argument makes a lot of sense.
I think you need to strike a balance between player expectations when it comes to what a fetchland actually "does" and breaking up cycles to benefit the decks the color combo is drafting, yeah. I also like 1-2 scrylands to go with the control or combo decks.

Man I really hope they reprint the filterlands closer to soon as opposed to never.

I've taken to just including double copies of each fetchland, alongside ABU duals, shocks, and one more land per pair at 450, plus a few WWK manlands and utility fixing such as Mana Confluence/City of Brass.

The double fetchlands have been a big hit with my group, not only enabling 3-4 color decks more often (giving me the ability to expand my multicolor section) but also allowing drafters to power up their Landfall, Delve, and top-of-the-library manipulation cards.

I highly recommend trying double fetchlands out if your cube is big enough that you are running relatively janky duals like Temples to get enough fixing in.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

If you're not already doing it, I highly recommend using smaller packs for drafting with fewer than 8 players. I usually do 4 packs of 11 for 6 players and 5 packs of 9 for 4 players.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

whydirt posted:

If you're not already doing it, I highly recommend using smaller packs for drafting with fewer than 8 players. I usually do 4 packs of 11 for 6 players and 5 packs of 9 for 4 players.

+1 on this. I've also found it helpful to "burn" picks when drafting with fewer people.

For example - if drafting with 4 people:

Instructions:
-Instead of 3 packs of 15, draft 12 packs of 11.
-When drafting a pack, you pick the first card as normal and pass. For every pick afterwards, you take one card for your deck as normal, then you take one card from the pack and remove it from the draft ("burning" it).
-Everything else is as normal (you do end up with 48 cards instead of 45).

Ramifications:
- A drafter who passes a pack after taking the first pick (10 cards left) will get the same pack back with 4 cards left. This hides information about what colors/archetypes are open in a similar way to a normal 8-man.
- Your deck ends up with the same amount of cards in the end, but the amount of cards that are "seen" is much higher than a "vanilla" 4-person draft - leading to more focused decks.
- The "burn" phase means each drafter has to make a lot of signaling and hate-picking decisions. Also, it's a good opportunity to gloat about how you screwed your friend over! :dance:

Seriously, if you haven't tried it, I urge you to. I've tried many "fewer than 8 players" draft formats... Rochester, Grid, Tenchester, etc.... "Burn" is by far the best of all of them and also the closest to a traditional 8-man.

Gorrister
May 14, 2014

Lord Of Texas posted:

Is this a typo?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Nope. In the system they are describing, you're "burning" tons of cards from each pack, so the final draft pools will have about the usual number of cards. Think of it as a scry or loot effect while you're actually drafting.

No Friend of Gravity
Feb 24, 2006

It still has to be a typo. You get six cards from each pack of 11, so to end up with 48 picks you'd do that 8 times, not 12.

Gorrister
May 14, 2014
also to make 12 packs of 11, thats 132 cards per person. How big does a cube have to be?
Besides, my group already gets lazy making 3 packs, let alone 12.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Lord Of Texas posted:

+1 on this. I've also found it helpful to "burn" picks when drafting with fewer people.

For example - if drafting with 4 people:

Instructions:
-When drafting a pack, you pick the first card as normal and pass. For every pick afterwards, you take one card for your deck as normal, then you take one card from the pack and remove it from the draft ("burning" it).
-Everything else is as normal (you do end up with 48 cards instead of 45).

Ramifications:
- A drafter who passes a pack after taking the first pick (10 cards left) will get the same pack back with 4 cards left. This hides information about what colors/archetypes are open in a similar way to a normal 8-man.
- Your deck ends up with the same amount of cards in the end, but the amount of cards that are "seen" is much higher than a "vanilla" 4-person draft - leading to more focused decks.
- The "burn" phase means each drafter has to make a lot of signaling and hate-picking decisions. Also, it's a good opportunity to gloat about how you screwed your friend over! :dance:

Seriously, if you haven't tried it, I urge you to. I've tried many "fewer than 8 players" draft formats... Rochester, Grid, Tenchester, etc.... "Burn" is by far the best of all of them and also the closest to a traditional 8-man.

I'm sure it more closely mimics an 8 man because the "burn" pile is basically each player in a 4 man drafting 2 decks, one they will play one they won't. So the other drafters essentially have 6 other people in the pool, the keep card and the discard card are like two separate drafters. 12 packs per person sounds like quite a lot, I get it and all but bleh. Why not just use the same system, 15 card packs, first person makes a pick and pass, then each player makes an keep pick and a discard pick.

1A
2B 14
3C 12
4D 10
5A 8
6B 6
7C 4
8D 2
9A 0

Each player should end up with 9 cards after each pack. So do 5 packs of 15 with the keep/discard picks and each player will end up with 45 cards. That would be 5*15*4=300 so you can do this with a regular small 360 cube.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

I need to re-sleeve my cube, does anyone know of anything cheaper than getting a 10 pack of perfect fits and a 10 pack of KMC Standard Size protectors from Potomac Distribution?

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon

Ciprian Maricon posted:

I need to re-sleeve my cube, does anyone know of anything cheaper than getting a 10 pack of perfect fits and a 10 pack of KMC Standard Size protectors from Potomac Distribution?

Probably not. I'm going to go with them again despite have to pay in-state sales tax. (I don't double sleeve anymore though)

there's been a lot of renewed interest in rotisserie drafting around here after seeing some twitter folks do modern rotisserie. I heavily recommend it with your cube if you have 8 people and don't mind the draft taking 1-2 weeks over a google doc.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AZKjfg8w9j2dZwpi-nqeuEjEWVmT2YsR6XvPmItA-BI/edit#gid=0

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

Lurchington posted:

Probably not. I'm going to go with them again despite have to pay in-state sales tax. (I don't double sleeve anymore though)

there's been a lot of renewed interest in rotisserie drafting around here after seeing some twitter folks do modern rotisserie. I heavily recommend it with your cube if you have 8 people and don't mind the draft taking 1-2 weeks over a google doc.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AZKjfg8w9j2dZwpi-nqeuEjEWVmT2YsR6XvPmItA-BI/edit#gid=0

Why not double sleeve? Also, is there a difference between colors in terms of quality among the kmc standard size? Black hypermatt and perfect fit should work?

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon
It mostly boils down to the fact that I proxy valuable/irreplaceable things, and there hasn't yet been a drink spill in the last 2.5 years of cubing with my main group. When double sleeving my players complained that the increased thickness made it harder to shuffle, and they had a harder time reading printed proxies. I was using ultra pro at the time and they get a little cloudy. It was always cheaper/easier to single sleeve and I didn't feel I was getting paid back.

quote:

Also, is there a difference between colors in terms of quality among the kmc standard size? Black hypermatt and perfect fit should work?
I'm not really sure, I need to confirm all that before I order

Lurchington fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Apr 5, 2015

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Good loving OP that is helping me lots. Thanks!

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

I'm trying to find room for Yawgs will and considering trading out Channel for Eureka, my thought is channel can be used in a deck other than giant ramp fatties.

Thoughts?

KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

Ask me about zoning laws in videogames

Herr Tog posted:

Good loving OP that is helping me lots. Thanks!

It really is a great OP. I've picked Upheaval every time I've seen it and it's never led me astray.

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

Ciprian Maricon posted:

I'm trying to find room for Yawgs will and considering trading out Channel for Eureka, my thought is channel can be used in a deck other than giant ramp fatties.

Thoughts?

Eureka shouldn't really be in the same arena as Channel. They're two separate styles of cards disguised under the same function. Channel is more useful in decks with lots of shuffle effects and draw 7s (memory jar, wheel of fortune, time twister, time spiral). Eureka is best in combo decks and planeswalker control. Eureka into 4 or 5 Planeswalkers always feels so great. I wouldn't take out Eureka given it is such a unique effect - one that channel doesn't replace.

And yawgmoths will is kind of garbage unless you support storm.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I have some thoughts I want to type up on three colour cards in cube.

I'm going to preface this by saying that my design philosophy with regard to cube is that you want as few "narrow" cards as possible that only go in one deck - stuff like storm enablers like Seething Song and cards which require three or more colours of mana - as in the majority of drafts they're going to end up as 15th picks rotting in someone's sideboard.

That said, on the back of Khans there are a lot of powerful new three colour cards and I'm thinking about maybe giving a few (specifically one of each three colour combination) of them a shot. However, for me, it's not enough for these cards to be powerful; the cube is already full of efficient creatures, and the trade-off of having three colour cards which are only going to make a maindeck in one out of three drafts or whatever means that simply being powerful is not enough. So for a three colour card to be a consideration, it has to both be powerful and have a unique or interesting effect that I can't find elsewhere.

For example, take Siege Rhino. There's no doubt that it is a very strong card and probably in a vacuum the best option for Abzan. However, I don't think it's enough better than similar cards like Bloodbraid Elf or Restoration Angel to warrant its inclusion. I think for this reason a better Abzan card is Doran the Siege Tower, as taking him early allows you to craft your deck around him and completely changes the draft dynamic. I figure, if you're going to include cards which are made narrow by virtue of their colours then you may as well have narrow effects whilst you're doing so.

That said, this opens up some other issues. Putting Doran in your cube is like making a promise to your players that there will be enough cards in the draft pool that support him to make a "Doran deck", and currently at least I'm not sure there are that many creatures in Abzan colours with significantly higher toughness than power that are cubeable. Courser of Kruphix is the only one that springs to mind, although of course Restoration Angel, Tarmogoyf, Noble Hierarch etc all benefit as well.

The second issue is that what if you build a Doran deck and only draw him in half your games or even none at all? You have a collection of big butts that don't really do anything. Doran is in a pretty good spot by virtue of being a green creature, so he's pretty easy to find, but this problem extends to the other three colour cards as well.

My question therefore is can you assist me in finding three colour cards which fit the above criteria? So far, I think Doran is a good choice for Abzan, Jeskai Ascendancy for Jeskai and possibly Sidisi for Sultai, but I'm coming up pretty short for the others. Even those would require a reasonable amount of re-jigging my cube so that their themes are supported.

Just to be clear, cards like Wild Nacatl and Taisgur are classed as single coloured in my cube since you don't need three colours to play them.

I'm going to finish by saying Sphinx of the Steel Wind (along with Siege Rhino) is what prompted this post since I think it has no place in any cube. I would be interested to hear counterarguments though.

For reference, here's my current list: http://cubetutor.com/viewcube/6050

It's not really updated to Theros as I generally wait for standard rotation to pick stuff up cheap, but there are some random cards I've opened in limited from the last two blocks.

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
I have Sphinx in my cube at the moment as a tinker target. Honestly I'm not really supporting three color and it's the only card of it's variety in the cube. When (if) I support planeswalkers I will probably insert Nicol Bolas as well.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Sphinx being a "Tinker target" is also something I particularly dislike or don't agree with, since there are options which are also just castable in other decks - I run Myr Battlesphere and Sundering Titan, and you could also include Wurmcoil Engine in that category, but even if you wanted a few more then there's things like Inkwell Leviathan. Out of curiosity, do you class Sphinx as Esper or Colourless or some other colour identity, or do you not worry about that?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Xir posted:

I have Sphinx in my cube at the moment as a tinker target. Honestly I'm not really supporting three color and it's the only card of it's variety in the cube. When (if) I support planeswalkers I will probably insert Nicol Bolas as well.
Bolas sucked when I had him in, he never ended up in any deck ever. Ugin is a much better fit, though he can lead to some pretty broken stuff if you're running too much artifact mana.

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
I actually run Myr Battlesphere, Sundering Titan, Wurmcoil Engine, and Inkwell Leviathan. I generally don't worry about the classification of the Sphinx, but it shows up as Esper in CubeTutor. At this point it has never made play and is on its way out of the cube in favor of potentially Batterskull (as I don't have one yet).

I run a powered cube and have four sets of dual lands so that might make going three colors marginally more doable. I also classify Sphinx as a Tinker/Reanimate target and have never considered it as a castable. I look at some of the huge green creatures the same way, most often they hit the field via Eureka or Oath of Druids or something like that.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

It does sound like the cube experience that you're building is drastically different from mine, as my cube is non-powered and doesn't have very many ways to cheat creatures into play, so things like Sphinx will probably play out pretty differently.

I had a look at your list on Cubetutor and as far as I could see, the make up is pretty similar to mine - 440 cards with three duals per colour pair. How often do you get three colour decks? Are they three colours straight or 2 colours with a splash?

Also in mine I drafted on Saturday and lost to 4 colour aggro with a million 1 and 2 drops playing the Worldknit deck for the first time. That's a fun card.

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
Eh, so far no one has built a three color deck. Mostly because I haven't committed to 3 color support, with only the Sphinx being present. I've contemplated a three color package with things like Siege Rhino and Esper Charm, etc. That's as far as I've gotten at this point, contemplating.

Yeah, without the ability to cheat out Sphinx it's nigh unplayable. I feel the same way about a number of other creatures, even when my cube was unpowered you'd rarely see Sundering Titan played for the casting cost. I think I've seen Blightsteel hardcast once.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Xir posted:

Eh, so far no one has built a three color deck. Mostly because I haven't committed to 3 color support, with only the Sphinx being present. I've contemplated a three color package with things like Siege Rhino and Esper Charm, etc. That's as far as I've gotten at this point, contemplating.

Yeah, without the ability to cheat out Sphinx it's nigh unplayable. I feel the same way about a number of other creatures, even when my cube was unpowered you'd rarely see Sundering Titan played for the casting cost. I think I've seen Blightsteel hardcast once.

I personally don't like playing three color decks in cube, even in a cube with duals + fetches. I've found that most people who've played my cube stick to two color decks as well. It might simply be that I (and the rest of my playgroup) are unwilling to place such a high priority on the development of my mana base while drafting. As a result, I cut all three color cards from my cube.

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
I think that's the route I'll likely end up going, as it's less work. (Cut one card vs playtest a whole slew of new cards.) I tend to draft manafixing pretty high, actually. I feel like a consistent mana base is worth more wins than a large number of the cards I could reasonably pick. I've been known to pick duals at P2P1 if the pack is thin on other cards I want.

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde
For years, the only real 3 color card that I've run is Nicol Bolas PW, as some people just like to play control and like to dream (one guy last draft took Karn P1P1, then NB PW P1P2; I laughed at his greed when he told me). Three color cards are just really hard to pull off since they go in so few decks:

Artifacts: any deck
Single-color: 2/5 decks (assuming you play 2 color deck)
Two-color: 1/10 decks (assuming you play 2 color deck)
Three-color: ... less than 1/10

Those numbers go up when you can stretch your mana with mana fixers/rocks/fetch lands, and I like where that's at (for example, UW with black splash off of dual land and two fetch lands for flashback on Lingering Souls and maybe a planeswalker like Sorin and a strong card like Vindicate). Jam too much fixing and durdle and decks gravitate to 'take all the fixing, take all the midrange/expensive bombs'.

That said, with the new cards like Tasigur, Alesha, the green one drop, I've added those as they support possibly three different decks (Tasigur/Alesha are ok in their primary colors alone; all 3 are better with the additional color pair); this addition is also just to keep changing up the Cube to keep it from being stale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.
So, I've begun developing a small, 360 card cube, that I plan to add conspiracies to to play with my friends. It can be found here:http://www.cubetutor.com/cubeblog/29163
This is just a rough outline, but is there any glaring problems that should be dealt with before I begin construction?