Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Im going to mash buttons in Pokken and nobody is going to stop me, so gently caress you Taint Reaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Sade posted:

It's not just a victory pose, pikachu is literally heihachi.

Which pokemon is going to be literally Eddy Gordo because that's the only one I'm interested in playing as.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

raditts posted:

Which pokemon is going to be literally Eddy Gordo because that's the only one I'm interested in playing as.

Come on, man, Hitmontop should be the first thing that comes to mind.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
The first and only time I played a Tekken and I played as this girl and when I just mashed buttons chainsaws came out of her arms and it was crazy. Which Pokemon will let me do that?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Scyther. Sort of.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Mega Scizor

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Unlucky7 posted:

Is Kirby Rainbow Curse worth getting? I played and really liked Canvas Curse.
I just beat it yesterday. I liked it, but I didn't love it. It's charming as hell, and if you liked Canvas Curse I think you'll like it a lot. The 6th world was really frustrating for me since there's some really time-sensitive bits, and the 7th world has a lot of cool ideas it just sorta throws at you all at once.

Also RE: Castlevania chat, I picked up Dracula X. Thank god for savestates, this game is loaded with bullshit. Soundtrack rules though.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i wish i could just free camera around the mario kart levels

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Yeah a free roam mode for the new stages would be so great. The AC and Baby Park stages are so neat looking.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

SRM posted:

Also RE: Castlevania chat, I picked up Dracula X. Thank god for savestates, this game is loaded with bullshit. Soundtrack rules though.

Is that the SNES Dracula X? If so lol just wait till you see the final boss.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I bought it a few months ago, but finally booted up Shovel Knight. drat drat drat, this some fun stuff.

Really like how they handle the difficulty, both with the option to wreck checkpoints and the easily refillable potions.

Its also flippin' gorgeous. Not sure if its parallax scrolling or whatever that creates that awesome sensation of the background slowly shifting, but its incredibly striking.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Shovel Knight rules but the potions really should have had some kind of cost associated with them.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Sakurazuka posted:

Is that the SNES Dracula X? If so lol just wait till you see the final boss.
Yep! Stuck on Dracula now. He's a loving nightmare.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

New preview of Yoshi's Wooly World with screenshots and a video.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/04/preview_unraveling_the_truth_in_yoshis_woolly_world

No baby mario, health instead, use wool (replacing eggs) to beat bigger enemies or create objects to help you progress, yoshi can still transform, collectibles include beads (currency to buy special badges to help you), flowers, stamps, and wonder wools which can unlock different yoshi designs like flower yoshi, circus yoshi, or one based around shy guys.

Also mellow mode just replaces Yoshi's flutter jump with the ability to float at his current height indefinitely if there was any confusion about that.

Coin purse crabs!

More screenshots here:
http://nintendoeverything.com/new-yoshis-woolly-world-screenshots/?pid=81290&pageid=198057

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

SRM posted:

Yep! Stuck on Dracula now. He's a loving nightmare.

At least after that if you ever play the original TG16 or PSP version it'll seem like a cakewalk in comparison.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Surlaw posted:

Shovel Knight rules but the potions really should have had some kind of cost associated with them.

so don't use them

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Every time I see new screens and details on Woolly World I get the biggest smile on my face. It's such an adorable game. :kimchi:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Sakurazuka posted:

At least after that if you ever play the original TG16 or PSP version it'll seem like a cakewalk in comparison.

I hate that they haven't put that one on the Wii U VC (it's on the original VC at least still). I know it's easier but it's like a 100x better game in every way, and it does still get really challenging towards the end.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

oddium posted:

i wish i could just free camera around the mario kart levels

The Animal Crossing stage is perfect and beautiful. I want a WiiU animal crossing real bad now.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
My only problem with the Animal Crossing track is that all the background characters are loving massive. I'm sure they are in all the other tracks too, but it's more apparent in the Animal Crossing track.

Sakurazuka posted:

I wasn't aware that Dracula X was the inferior version until I did some homework on it last night. For the most part I've enjoyed it though!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

They're huge in every track. Go to the new forest stage as Toad or the subway stage as Yoshi and compare with the spectators.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

SRM posted:

My only problem with the Animal Crossing track is that all the background characters are loving massive. I'm sure they are in all the other tracks too, but it's more apparent in the Animal Crossing track.

I wasn't aware that Dracula X was the inferior version until I did some homework on it last night. For the most part I've enjoyed it though!

the yoshis eat entire worlds

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

SRM posted:

Yeah, it looks kinda weird, but I feel it may have been needed to make em stand more.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

SRM posted:

It is absolutely like this in every track and it confuses me why, like, Shy Guys and Toads are so friggin' massive. Why are the racers all miniature? What is going on there?!? :psyduck:

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Fungah! posted:

so don't use them

Very insightful, thanks. It's just kind of a dumb balance issue to give players two totally free full health restoratives they can use at any time in a game that focuses on digging up money and retrieving it when you die. If there was any downside to them (cost or leaving you vulnerable while using them) I think that would make a really good game better.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Surlaw posted:

Very insightful, thanks. It's just kind of a dumb balance issue to give players two totally free full health restoratives they can use at any time in a game that focuses on digging up money and retrieving it when you die. If there was any downside to them (cost or leaving you vulnerable while using them) I think that would make a really good game better.

that's literally the balance mechanism though, if you think using them makes the game trivial don't use them. you've got to go a little ways out of your way to get them unless you hit one fishing in a golden pit so it's very easy to avoid picking them up. they're there specifically to make it easier for people who aren't good at platformers to beat the game. the devs aren't forcing you to pick up potions to beat the game or anything

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

codenameFANGIO posted:

It is absolutely like this in every track and it confuses me why, like, Shy Guys and Toads are so friggin' massive. Why are the racers all miniature? What is going on there?!? :psyduck:

They're large so you can get an actual decent look at them as you zoom by. It's for basically the same reason that all the models in Link Between Worlds are slanted north; it's not about what's "correct", but what makes the right visual impression.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

also the potions aren't even close to the most unbalanced thing in that game (phase locket lol)

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Surlaw posted:

The cost is that if you use the potions you're a bitch.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

Coin purse crabs!

And their claws are wool shears :3:

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Fungah! posted:

that's literally the balance mechanism though, if you think using them makes the game trivial don't use them. you've got to go a little ways out of your way to get them unless you hit one fishing in a golden pit so it's very easy to avoid picking them up. they're there specifically to make it easier for people who aren't good at platformers to beat the game. the devs aren't forcing you to pick up potions to beat the game or anything

You have a really weird interpretation of "going out of your way." It's one of the very first locations that opens up, isn't hidden, and crossing the world map to refill takes no time or effort.

I like that they're there to help players out, I just think they're comically unbalanced and would be easy to fix. The phase locket it ridiculous too, but it still costumes your MP and you need to level up your magic stock for it to become completely silly. Those are good costs, even if they could stand to be higher.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Surlaw posted:

You have a really weird interpretation of "going out of your way." It's one of the very first locations that opens up, isn't hidden, and crossing the world map to refill takes no time or effort.

I like that they're there to help players out, I just think they're comically unbalanced and would be easy to fix. The phase locket it ridiculous too, but it still costumes your MP and you need to level up your magic stock for it to become completely silly. Those are good costs, even if they could stand to be higher.

it's a location that you only go to if you want to fill your potions (or piss off the troupple king, I guess). you don't need to go there to finish the game and if you don't want to fill your potions you can just not go back there. there doesn't need to be a cost to use potions because it's very easy to just not use them

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Potions and relics are really there for the people who need them. If the game is punishing enough for not being good enough to get by without, does the game really have to punish them further when they need help? E Tanks don't punish you for using them in Mega Man, why should potions in Shovel Knight? One of the great things about Shovel Knight is how the game's difficulty is really determined by the player; using relics and potions makes the game really easy, but going without gives you a much harder experience. It's not hard to not grab the relics and potions, you just don't go to where you acquire them.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

E Tanks in Mega Man are a good example because they're the same thing but done better. You have to search to find them and some are pretty far out of the way, or in later games can buy them if you save up enough bolts. It rewards exploration and makes money feel a lot more valuable. If Mega Man let you have two free E Tanks at the start of every level that would be boring.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Surlaw posted:

E Tanks in Mega Man are a good example because they're the same thing but done better. You have to search to find them and some are pretty far out of the way, or in later games can buy them if you save up enough bolts. It rewards exploration and makes money feel a lot more valuable. If Mega Man let you have two free E Tanks at the start of every level that would be boring.

There hasn't been a new Megaman Game in Eons, Banjo Kazooie is more relevant than it.

Hell Banjo kazooie got an actual game on a console that came after the PS2 era.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Shovel Knight is directly referential to Mega Man and games like it. It's also better than most of them. I think it's OK to criticize a design choice in a game I like.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

I hate to be a sourpuss killjoy but Yoshi's Wooly World has me worried. Kirby's Epic Yarn was loving boring, like filled to the brim with Kirby aesthetics and gorgeous graphics but the gameplay just felt really pointless and shallow. And this is coming from a fan of Kirby games, piss-easy platformers, AND 100% collectathons. It just felt hollow. Like a watered down Yoshi's Island with all cheat codes activated.

I hope that Yoshi has a pair of wool balls knitted on to him and this game has more difficulty.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I don't really like Shovel Knight's approach to difficulty being to put artificial limits on yourself, even though I understand it and acknowledge that many other games do it.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

elf help book posted:

I don't really like Shovel Knight's approach to difficulty being to put artificial limits on yourself, even though I understand it and acknowledge that many other games do it.

Pretty much this, yeah. I'd rather the game just have selectable difficulties at this point, and it would be nice being able to select NG+ difficulty without beating the game first.

For people that don't want any challenge, there are tons of cheat codes and it's awesome that they put so many in there. There's lots of goofy joke cheats and lots of game play specific ones and that rules. (And even that has a cost associated, it disables your Feats)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Cuckoo posted:

I hate to be a sourpuss killjoy but Yoshi's Wooly World has me worried. Kirby's Epic Yarn was loving boring, like filled to the brim with Kirby aesthetics and gorgeous graphics but the gameplay just felt really pointless and shallow. And this is coming from a fan of Kirby games, piss-easy platformers, AND 100% collectathons. It just felt hollow. Like a watered down Yoshi's Island with all cheat codes activated.

I hope that Yoshi has a pair of wool balls knitted on to him and this game has more difficulty.

I liked Epic Yarn but I think this game will be much more challenging just judging by the fact that they're adding a separate easy invincible mode.

• Locked thread