Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Getting some food ready to bring (low :effort: veggie kebabs because I didn't get a chance to prep anything else) and then I'll be on the way over.
So how many of us are coming? Just so I have an idea of how much to make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I'll be there. I had a bunch of "things to do on my car" of varying levels of complexity but now I think I might just stick with something small, if at all. Not feeling particularly wrenchsome with how drat cold it is today.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

I'm not gonna be there until later, probably 7ish.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Tommychu posted:

Getting some food ready to bring (low :effort: veggie kebabs because I didn't get a chance to prep anything else) and then I'll be on the way over.
So how many of us are coming? Just so I have an idea of how much to make.

I think around five of us or so.

Come whenever you like guys. Bring warm clothes if you want to try for a fire this evening, maybe a lawn chair too. It's breezy. I'm out in the garage tidying up and tinkering with stuff.

Mrchips: I'll save some beef for you man, no worries.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I guess i'll come down. I'll give the lincoln a quick once-over see if it'll make the trip.

E-mail me the address, fightthepowershift at gmail.com

What should i bring?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Powershift posted:

I guess i'll come down. I'll give the lincoln a quick once-over see if it'll make the trip.

E-mail me the address, fightthepowershift at gmail.com

What should i bring?

Email sent.

Turns out I don't have much cola, if you guys need any for drinks or whichever, please bring some of that.

Bring whatever you like though, I've got the meat and potatoes covered.

SiliconX
Sep 18, 2004

That damn Pharah again...

College Slice
Well poo poo, all you guys I saw in Craigslist Gold and poo poo are actually in this same timezone. i"ll have to watch for you now.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That was good times. pretty pleasant drive home as well. Thanks again to slung blade for the hospitality.

Also, it turns out my horn doesn't have a mind of it's own, i've just been accidentally hitting the horn button getting in and out for a year and a half now. I discovered on the trip home the horn button is the entire ring around the inside of the steering wheel. it honks when you squeeze the wheel out of anger or fear, really a genius design.

That entire green ring around the inside of the steering wheel, horn button. 3 feet of horn button. when you're driving, you're basically never not touching the horn button.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Also, you may not have noticed, but your hood release is actually a goon release. Might want to get that looked at :v:

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Excellent food, good company, car repairs very successfully completed, let's do it again with better weather.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
That was awesome.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Yeah, that was a good evening...I wish I was able to be down earlier!

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Awesome meet. Thanks Slung Blade, you're a hell of a host.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Thanks guys, pleasure to meet / see all of you.

We'll definitely do that again sometime when the weather isn't being a bitch.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Think I'm headed to Lethbridge Friday, then will be there a week or two. Sister's bday is next weekend plus I'm going to race bikes, then finish up some things in my grandparents' basement. So if anyone wants to hang out I'll be doing that plus drinking a good amount of beer and whiskey.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Drove from 0 to km 73 on the Forest trunk road on Saturday, slept at the Canford haul road from 1am until 8, woke up to 4" of snow. Loaded 20,000 litres of crude, drove 75km back in soupy 5" of mud with a hard base. Got to Valleyview and noticed a flat tire. Fixed, unloaded, attempted to drive back to GP, got a low DEF warning light. Stopped in Debolt, poured in more DEF only to have it pour out from under the truck right onto the ground. Got home on a flatbed. Went to rescue a buddy in my ram, got some good wheelhop while pulling his TJ out of a trail without 1 wheel. Broke a front axle shaft or possibly the transfer case.

Ok fine, got a gooseneck and hauled that truck down to A1 driveline. Now my JK Rubicon steering knuckle u joints are shot. Pulled the axles out tonight and broke a wheelspeed sensor while doing so.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

jamal posted:

Think I'm headed to Lethbridge Friday, then will be there a week or two. Sister's bday is next weekend plus I'm going to race bikes, then finish up some things in my grandparents' basement. So if anyone wants to hang out I'll be doing that plus drinking a good amount of beer and whiskey.

I think you should spend as much time as you can talking politics with Slidebite. I expect that will be lots of fun, and include episodes of gunplay as well as the beer and whiskey.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Depending on the weather and as long as the inlaws don't have plans for us, I should be available.

Could probably get together to watch the inevitable Flames collapse over a steak and a couple cold ones.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

jonathan posted:

Drove from 0 to km 73 on the Forest trunk road on Saturday, slept at the Canford haul road from 1am until 8, woke up to 4" of snow. Loaded 20,000 litres of crude, drove 75km back in soupy 5" of mud with a hard base. Got to Valleyview and noticed a flat tire. Fixed, unloaded, attempted to drive back to GP, got a low DEF warning light. Stopped in Debolt, poured in more DEF only to have it pour out from under the truck right onto the ground. Got home on a flatbed. Went to rescue a buddy in my ram, got some good wheelhop while pulling his TJ out of a trail without 1 wheel. Broke a front axle shaft or possibly the transfer case.

Ok fine, got a gooseneck and hauled that truck down to A1 driveline. Now my JK Rubicon steering knuckle u joints are shot. Pulled the axles out tonight and broke a wheelspeed sensor while doing so.

This is almost a country song.

Your dodge driveline stuff is probably just typical "hole in transmission" issues. I'm amazed that truck still had the emissions poo poo on it, your company must love expensive, mud-related repairs, you're pretty lucky it didn't cut you to 5mph in the middle of forestry trunk. The jeep is telling you it wants dana 60s. the ram may be asking for a G56.

Edit: i fueled up in three hills on the cruise down, and in the 180 miles down there, and back up to red deer and around town for a bit was only 51 liters. As near as makes no difference 13mpg, the best i've gotten out of it.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Apr 27, 2015

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Forgot to post this, but someone was asking a few weeks ago about Hwy 40 or the Forestry Trunk Road (McTinkerson?). I was in Coleman a couple weeks ago and went up it about 1K to see the closed sign I knew was there.

Also, I'll be glad when this election bullshit is done. Seems like I'm getting calls from polling firms every god drat day.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

The FTR was me. I was planning on running the whole thing this summer bottom to top or vice versa. Thanks for looking in to it. I guess I'll plan for a post June 15 excursion. ( I have 3 seats available if anyone else is interested.)

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

There are 98 golf carts at the edmonton ritchie bro's auction that starts tomorrow.

Are you guys thinking what i'm thinking?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

There are 98 golf carts at the edmonton ritchie bro's auction that starts tomorrow.

I'm hearing limo.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I'm in.

With that many, we can finally answer the burning question: "How long can a golf cart run, flat-out, on a wide gravel road?" and have enough left over for jousting.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Powershift posted:

Twin engined 4WD golf karts.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

My mind is flipping back and forth between a 1 make race series on that new go-kart track, or golf cart olympics.

edit: :stare:

Powershift fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Apr 28, 2015

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Powershift posted:

I was supposed to buy a side dump trailer in that auction tomorrow but it the higher ups postponed the purchase and I never got to go.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

I can safely assume that every AB goon is fully intending to see Mad Max: Fury Road in IMAX right? If you needed another reason: http://vehicleshowcase.madmaxmovie.com/

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

MustardFacial posted:

I was supposed to buy a side dump trailer in that auction tomorrow but it the higher ups postponed the purchase and I never got to go.

They got so much stuff they had to extend it to 4 days, but things are still going fairly good prices. A lot is going to saskatchewan or ontario.

a 2010 6.4 f-350 hardly davidson pickup just went for 38 grand. you could probably get a brand new 2014 lariat for 50 without the terrible 6.4.

they pulled the 62 4 door galaxie, but added a beater Z https://www.rbauction.com/1990-NISSAN-300-ZX?invId=4480021&id=ci&auction=EDMONTON-AB-2015163

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
I'm like 95% certain I saw a silver R34 GT-R yesterday morning going down 109st in downtown Edmonton. Anyone else seen any GT-Arghs kicking around?

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Powershift posted:

They got so much stuff they had to extend it to 4 days, but things are still going fairly good prices. A lot is going to saskatchewan or ontario.

a 2010 6.4 f-350 hardly davidson pickup just went for 38 grand. you could probably get a brand new 2014 lariat for 50 without the terrible 6.4.

they pulled the 62 4 door galaxie, but added a beater Z https://www.rbauction.com/1990-NISSAN-300-ZX?invId=4480021&id=ci&auction=EDMONTON-AB-2015163

Pretty sure if I pulled up in a Ford my father would disown me.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Good, then you can find a better dad.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah find a dad who iSNT A loving COMMUNIST

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Seriously considering buying a used chevy volt. Kind of expensive but with a charge plug at work I can pretty much never pay for fuel except for holidays. With my two daily drivers averaging about 10mpg, this might not be as financially stupid as I first thought.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

You'd be better off buying the cruze the volt is based on.

There's a 2 year old volt with 47k listed for $28 grand on kijiji.

for $28 grand, you can buy a brand new cruze or focus and $10k in fuel, which at 7 l/100km combined and $1 a liter is 143k worth of fuel. And a focus will still be worth something once the warranty is up.

Most hybrid/electric cars are just a "feel good" environmentalist thing right now.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

The only way a Volt makes sense is if the monthly lease cost is less than the cost of fuel of a daily.That lease also better be $0 down and have maintenance included.

Powershift is right, for us Canadians, they make zero sense right now.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Add the wildcard of expenses = $rape$ once the warranty runs out on the electrical end... let alone a tech is truly comfortable and knowledgeable working on them.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Powershift posted:

$1 a liter

A dollar a litre?!?! gently caress you Alberta.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

MustardFacial posted:

A dollar a litre?!?! gently caress you Alberta.

It's actually 87 cents, but i was leaving room for it to go back up over the lifetime of the car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Hybrids are what Fuel Injection was when it was first introduced. It has its advantages but not necessarily the best bang for your buck right now.

Whoever develops a cheap simple system and licenses it out is going to make a lot of money.