Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Improbable Lobster posted:

Did we get officially word yet or is it still everyone except Konami saying that it isn't happening?

Literally everyone involved who matters is saying it. I don't think Jimmy Konami himself has said it no but there's no way it's a rumor or anything.

Man gently caress Konami, I was really into PT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I guess I should download PT because I want to be scared shitless at some point by it. It's pretty silly that Konami is doing it, but it's only gonna gently caress them more so whatever.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Why does everyone hate on Stryker? :( He's my favorite guy in MK since he's just a dude doing his job, then caught up in all this magic bullshit.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

pulp rag posted:

Why does everyone hate on Stryker? :( He's my favorite guy in MK since he's just a dude doing his job, then caught up in all this magic bullshit.

same

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Stryker is my favorite because of that one moment in MK9 where he saw all the crazy ridiculous cyborg poo poo happening and was just like "that's it pal you're comin with me", as if you can take a magical teleporting cyborg from an alternate dimension who can literally transform into vapor into custody. People HATE Stryker and I don't even care, he's great.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

CJacobs posted:

Stryker is my favorite because of that one moment in MK9 where he saw all the crazy ridiculous cyborg poo poo happening and was just like "that's it pal you're comin with me", as if you can take a magical teleporting cyborg from an alternate dimension who can literally transform into vapor into custody. People HATE Stryker and I don't even care, he's great.

I thought Stryker was really lame until MK9 made him kinda cool.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Stryker is amazing in MK9

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
MK9 and MKX made a lot of dumb uncool characters cool, Stryker included. Although I'll say that I always had a soft spot for "normal dude with a gun and bad clothes fights demons" as a concept.

Also, sucks to hear that about Silent Hills. Konami is acting pretty fuckin' dumb wrt Kojima and all Kojima-related stuff. Stinks of jealousy from top brass, honestly.

Kaptain K
Nov 2, 2007

I must admit, I am fond of you humans.

May you enjoy serendipity,

And may the Age of Fire perpetuate.
I strongly suspect the story will come out some day and there will be some reason behind Konami losing their biggest asset and it'll make sense in retrospect.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Make sense in the "Oh yeah, that's totally what a bunch of idiots would do" sort of way maybe.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
the thing with konami is that they do a lot more than make games so they don't really lose a whole lot by scaling back or cutting off the game branch all together if it's not meeting their expectations

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

Blockhouse posted:

the thing with konami is that they do a lot more than make games so they don't really lose a whole lot by scaling back or cutting off the game branch all together if it's not meeting their expectations

Plus Konami are known scumbags who don't pay their contractors on time/ever. Sucks to lose Silent Hills but hopefully Kojima will be fully out from their yoke sooner rather than later.

Kaptain K posted:

I strongly suspect the story will come out some day and there will be some reason behind Konami losing their biggest asset and it'll make sense in retrospect.

It wont make any god drat sense because Konami are huge scumbags.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I really hope that when we erect the tomb of the japanese gaming industry we can write on the cenotaph:-

'Why make anything fun, innovative and profitable when you can just make a pachinko machine?'

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The tombstone itself will be a pachinko machine.

And it will be the most elaborate loving thing imaginable.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
whenever I get the doldrums about Japanese games, I sometimes turn to Platinum games recruitment video that gives me a little hope in this world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsCm3VHmH4I

I love this vid so much because it has a quote that makes so much sense but so few people apply it in their lives.

"how many games can a person make in one lifetime?"

"probably not that many"

"that's why we pour our all into every title we make."

" we never compromise".

Keep doing the work of heroes, Platinum. :unsmith:

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Al-Saqr posted:

I really hope that when we erect the tomb of the japanese gaming industry we can write on the cenotaph:-

'Why make anything fun, innovative and profitable when you can just make a pachinko machine?'

Those first 2 things don't guarantee the 3rd, pachinko machines do.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
woolie getting chumped on the first attempt in the latest bloodborne video is the best

Kaptain K
Nov 2, 2007

I must admit, I am fond of you humans.

May you enjoy serendipity,

And may the Age of Fire perpetuate.

DumbparameciuM posted:

It wont make any god drat sense because Konami are huge scumbags.

I totally forgot about Konami's hellaciously bad HR track record. poo poo.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Kaptain K posted:

My prediction: it'll make as much sense sense as Capcom doing the same thing to Keiji Inafune or Hideki Kamiya. Or Square Enix and their just general handling of all their Japanese IPs. Are just Japanese game companies just insane?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I think you guys are favoring too much for the IPs and not the actual business side. Making console video games in a Japanese market makes 0 sense other than a passion project. In Konami's case, MGS5 is basically their GTA5 with a fraction of the profit potential because MGS is a far more niche title.

Really, any console rpg from this point on is basically a passion project rather than a goal of actual profits. FF15 and Star Ocean 5 for square enix is basically the same.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

hoobajoo posted:

My prediction: it'll make as much sense sense as Capcom doing the same thing to Keiji Inafune or Hideki Kamiya. Or Square Enix and their just general handling of all their Japanese IPs. Are just Japanese game companies just insane?

Kamiya was lost because Clover did garbage in actually selling their games and Inafune left on his own after also putting the company in the state it would fall into with western developers handling their Japanese IPs. Square has actually done a pretty good job too of not only saving a lot of their IPs from failure or dying while also publishing other great games like Sleeping Dogs or (Debatable, I guess) Life is Strange. Konami is flat out getting rid of the dude who made the most money for them and at one point removed his name from the game series he has always had his name on. Killing Silent Hills in the process while that game also generated a lot of hype is not good as well. This is not comparable at all because we know the full circumstances of what happened with the former two examples and we don't know a lot about this whole thing so it just seems like they're being huge shitlords about everything.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
yeah you really can't draw a parallel between the Kojima thing and anything else going on in the Japanese game industry

Maybe Inafune but given his recent work at the time there's more than one reason why that dude was fired

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI

That nerd made another one of these, week of wools

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
might be a nerd but its still fun to see

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

hubris.height posted:

might be a nerd but its still fun to see

"and the stake driver Pile Bunker who much like Liam, is cool in concept but is ultimately useless."

lol

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Matt you better rant the poo poo out of Kojima on this week's podcast. :allears:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I loved the Stake Driver, upgraded the hell out of it and used it for the entire rest of the game cause it owned :eng99:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Grouchio posted:

Matt you better rant the poo poo out of Kojima on this week's podcast. :allears:

More like rant the poo poo out of Konami period

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

That's about their pachinko/gambling division, which as you can expect probably didn't have much stock market activity in the US.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
They've always got that Yugioh money

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI

Captain Invictus posted:

As i understand it, the majority of konamis stock is traded in japanese market, so it wasnt cost effective for them to have a listing in NYSE cus no one trades their stock there. so this poo poo doesn't matter at all.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

FauxGateau posted:

"and the stake driver Pile Bunker who much like Liam, is cool in concept but is ultimately useless."

lol

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm glad Pat's intense chunneling fetish is becoming part of the zaibatsu lore. A worthy addition, I'd say.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
With everything going on in the industry recently, I really want to hear one of Pat's 15 minute tirades that we're long overdue for. Probably my favorite part of the podcast.

Also, I can't believe E3 2015 is about six weeks away already.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Depths posted:

That nerd made another one of these, week of wools

The apprentice has surpassed the master.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I'll believe in Woolie's ascendancy when he successfully navigates a hallway without Pat's help.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

hoobajoo posted:

Look at what seems to be Capcom's decision making process:

1. Ask the fans what they want
2. Disregard what the fans want
3. Do the opposite
4. Bitch when no money is made.

It's as if they don't like money or something :tizzy:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Welp, Woolie curse hits again. I'm guessing the half hour or so on the Skyrim mods is wasted because Steam took down the mod section.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Tae posted:

Welp, Woolie curse hits again. I'm guessing the half hour or so on the Skyrim mods is wasted because Steam took down the mod section.

Yeah. Paid Skyrim mods are dead. Valve released a note on the community.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Tae posted:

They probably haven't even started recording the Friendcast yet.