Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

YellerBill posted:

Is this what you had in mind?

that is insanely my poo poo. the dawnguard set is probably my favorite looking armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Archonex posted:

Edit: But seriously gently caress paid mods. It's a stupid concept. I eagerly look forward to laughing at the first idiot to get burned by buying one.

Everyone who bought that Shadowscale thing has already been burned.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Archonex posted:

You made a topic talking about modding. You are the disease.

Edit: But seriously gently caress paid mods. It's a stupid concept. I eagerly look forward to laughing at the first idiot to get burned by buying one.

Correction I made two topics

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Schubalts posted:

Everyone who bought that Shadowscale thing has already been burned.

Ages from now, psychologists, sociologists, historians, and philosophers will write endless words struggling to explain why the number who bought it is greater than 0.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
Not sure if it's been posted but here is a quality control rundown of the high-quality mods which the ~FREE MARKET~ has graced us with

https://imgur.com/a/bqcla?gallery

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

GunnerJ posted:

Ages from now, psychologists, sociologists, historians, and philosophers will write endless words struggling to explain why the number who bought it is greater than 0.

It was the headline mod splashed across the frontpage of steam for the big announcement. There might have been some assumption of quality.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I think it's safe to predict Bethesda's next game, whatever it turns out to be, won't have a publicly visible rating on Steam at all. Bethesda and Valve know very well now what will happen if it does.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Eric the Mauve posted:

I think it's safe to predict Bethesda's next game, whatever it turns out to be, won't have a publicly visible rating on Steam at all. Bethesda and Valve know very well now what will happen if it does.

To be honest, that is years away at least (or less if they want to release a buggy unfinished mess that they expect to get money for with paid modding). I don't know how long the controversy will go on for. Gamers haven't exactly been known to stick to their guns but this is pretty big so we'll see how it goes. I mean, I never ever buy Bethesda games on release anyway but if the mod community isn't there I won't buy it at all or if it is mostly paid mods. I'm not handing over money to someone to spend hours getting their mods to work or editing the files myself to fix their mess before they monetized it. The only way I can see paid modding working for future games is if Bethesda designs their games to work seamlessly with mods (by making them, you know, modular. No pun intended) to ensure that conflicts will be rare (or identify them outright). And to make modding your game as simple as downloading the mod and installing it, with the load order being done for you. Which, lets be honest, this is Bethesda we are talking about so that poo poo isn't happening.

New Vegas is the only game I can think of that I'd play without mods and it isn't even their game, it was made by Obsidian.

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

Not sure if it's been posted but here is a quality control rundown of the high-quality mods which the ~FREE MARKET~ has graced us with

https://imgur.com/a/bqcla?gallery

Haha, that is wonderful. Also, this has begun as well (slightly :nws:): http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=432923904&searchtext=

You need a body mod to get it to work and it is one outfit for $2. It makes the gun runners arsenal look like a good loving deal. Prepare to see this x1000. truly, the future of modding.

Dapper Dan fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Apr 27, 2015

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

QuantaStarFire posted:

From my experience seeing his posts in the Starbound and Crowfall threads, the answer is "pretty bad."

It's pretty unfair to compare anyone's posting in the starbound thread. Everyone is a shitposter in there.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I post solely to amuse myself tbh

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
The future of mods are upon us:

Pong.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=433123067&searchtext=

fallout gambling machine
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=432012009&searchtext=

Stolen sword models:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=432930722&searchtext=

Variable editor on eyes
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=433039950&searchtext=

Man, these mods are amazing

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Michaellaneous posted:

It's pretty unfair to compare anyone's posting in the starbound thread. Everyone is a shitposter in there.

True. Same with the Crowfall thread, come to think about it.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
all my posts are good

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Dapper Dan posted:

Haha, that is wonderful. Also, this has begun as well (slightly :nws:): http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=432923904&searchtext=

You need a body mod to get it to work and it is one outfit for $2. It makes the gun runners arsenal look like a good loving deal. Prepare to see this x1000. truly, the future of modding.

Okay do you know wheneveryone said "Gaming is dead" as soon as paid mods were announced?

They were wrong. That point has been reached only just now.

e: But lets realtalk here. Paid mods is nothing else than DLC at this point. There is no way around it.

Now, I was gonna follow up with an explanation what exactly that means but I cannot be bothered because literally boob mod for 2 bucks.

e2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfelqZpapZA

Michaellaneous fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Apr 27, 2015

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug
Beth states their intentions:

http://www.bethblog.com/2015/04/27/why-were-trying-paid-skyrim-mods-on-steam/

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
At least the other ones you linked took some real effort to create. This one should have taken no longer then 2 minutes to poo poo out and that only because the CK's interface is a bit poo poo. It would have taken less then a minute to create a similar mod in TES5Edit.

Edit:

Bethesda's Blog posted:

Only 8% of the Skyrim audience has ever used a mod.
I can't help but wonder how they came up with that number. They can track the Steam Workshop, but I don't think there's a way for them to see how many people downloaded mods elsewhere. And are they including the console crowd in that term "audience"?
And if they care about raising numbers then maybe they ought to focus us raising the number of players who bought and played their DLC. According Steam's achievement stats only 24% played Dawnguard and 23% Dragonborn (Maybe those are actually really good numbers, I don't know what the average is for similar DLC).

And wait a minute:

Bethesda's Blog posted:

We shipped Oblivion with no DRM because we didn’t like how it affected the game.
I remember Oblivion having DRM. There was a disc check.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Apr 27, 2015

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

I have a feeling that the major mod creators are waiting until the backlash dies down to put their stuff up for fear of being called sellouts, but when that point is reached the paid mods section of the workshop will be flooded with so much sewage it'll get an even worse reputation.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

quote:

Despite all that, it’s still too small in our eyes. Only 8% of the Skyrim audience has ever used a mod. Less than 1% has ever made one.

you stupid shitheads, did you really think charging for mods was going to make those numbers go up?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
at the least it means the people who complain the most are in the minority

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

you stupid shitheads, did you really think charging for mods was going to make those numbers go up?

It certainly will make one of these two numbers go up.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

How would they even know that?

quote:

Even now, at 25% and early sales data, we’re looking at some modders making more money than the studio members whose content is being edited.

Then pay them more you loving assholes, you just said that mod sales were 1% of your revenue

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

You know there are a lot of things to consider about that 8%...

Only 8% people on steam use mods from the workshop?
Do we count console players too?

But above all else, modding has always been a niche thing, you purposefully break the game for better or worse experience.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Bholder posted:

But above all else, modding has always been a niche thing, you purposefully break the game for better or worse experience.

Or, in case of loverslab, to do things beyond any reasoning.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Bholder posted:

Yeah, it is really hard to know that 8%. Sky UI is the most popular mod for Skyrim and has been downloaded nearly 4.5 million times in unique downloads. For this comparison, we assume those 4.5 million times are truly unique and do not count other places they might have downloaded (drop box, mediafire, etc.). If we assume that everyone who modded Skyrim used SkyUI, the the total number of Skyrim users on PC would be 56.5 million at 8%. I guess for a four year old game it seems reasonable. However, this was last year:

http://time.com/1875/at-20-million-copies-sold-skyrim-is-in-the-top-20-bestselling-games-of-all-time/

It only sold 20 million copies across all platforms. Originally, the game made 14% of its sales on PC. Let us be generous and double that number, since it is impossible to tell how many copies on Steam and across other platforms there are. So, it'd be 5.6 million if 28% of Skyrim sales were on PC. Meaning, that 80% of PC users have installed at least SkyUI and modded their game.

So my guess is that they are counting across all platforms (even 4.5 million at 20 million sold is 22%), only counting the workshop or pulling numbers straight out of their rear end.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.
Steamspy has it at 8 million before the free weekend ruined tracking.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Threep posted:

Steamspy has it at 8 million before the free weekend ruined tracking.

That works out to 56%, which is a whole lot more than 8%.

EDIT:
Yeah, it is at 25 million now, which fucks everything up.

Dapper Dan fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Apr 27, 2015

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Skyrim Radioactive has been set to hidden

quote:

I hide my modd as long as the situation is resolved with Steam.

Since I have not finished the redesign of the interiors, this modd will hide the time it was all over

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
I have a question that is actually about mods.
I want a combat overhaul, huge mod list, and I use SPERG, which should I use?

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

I don't get why people do this, either. You don't protest a paywall by erecting an even more effective barrier yourself.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

LumberingTroll posted:

I have a question that is actually about mods.
I want a combat overhaul, huge mod list, and I use SPERG, which should I use?

I've heard good things about Ultimate Combat, I'm planning to use it for my next run.

The author of that mod has also made A dodging mod and a mod that adds a camera effect when you hit things, which should both be compatible.

There's also Violens, which adds more killmoves, and lets you customize a whole bunch of stuff related to them.

All of them should be compatible with SPERG, as far as I know. But that's mostly because almost everything works with SPERG.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

That entire blog post was pretty much bullshit. Who writes stuff like that? Edit: oh and they want more people to mod but no mention of supplying them with better or even updated tools. Must be a sweet deal, selling mods that were made with tools that the community developed for free.

anatomi fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Apr 27, 2015

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

Dapper Dan posted:

Yeah, it is really hard to know that 8%. Sky UI is the most popular mod for Skyrim and has been downloaded nearly 4.5 million times in unique downloads. For this comparison, we assume those 4.5 million times are truly unique and do not count other places they might have downloaded (drop box, mediafire, etc.). If we assume that everyone who modded Skyrim used SkyUI, the the total number of Skyrim users on PC would be 56.5 million at 8%. I guess for a four year old game it seems reasonable. However, this was last year:

http://time.com/1875/at-20-million-copies-sold-skyrim-is-in-the-top-20-bestselling-games-of-all-time/

It only sold 20 million copies across all platforms. Originally, the game made 14% of its sales on PC. Let us be generous and double that number, since it is impossible to tell how many copies on Steam and across other platforms there are. So, it'd be 5.6 million if 28% of Skyrim sales were on PC. Meaning, that 80% of PC users have installed at least SkyUI and modded their game.

So my guess is that they are counting across all platforms (even 4.5 million at 20 million sold is 22%), only counting the workshop or pulling numbers straight out of their rear end.

Let's make up the numbers completely and extrapolate from there.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

anatomi posted:

That entire blog post was pretty much bullshit. Who writes stuff like that?

Corporate bean-counters. It's a lot of words to say we want more money.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
Also that blog post didn't count Steam as DRM in Skyrim having zero DRM.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Dapper Dan posted:

Umm isn't this game notorious for people downloading a poo poo load of mods, breaking the game then deleting them all and trying again? 4.5 million downloads != 4.5 million users.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Thug Lessons posted:

Let's make up the numbers completely and extrapolate from there.

No need. Threep posted it was 8 million before the free weekend, which means over half of PC users have used a mod before. Even if the dls aren't all unique, the percentage of people who have used mods on Skyrim is much higher than 8 percent.

CJ posted:

Umm isn't this game notorious for people downloading a poo poo load of mods, breaking the game then deleting them all and trying again? 4.5 million downloads != 4.5 million users.

It is 4.5 million unique downloads, 9 million total. I used the unique downloads.

Dapper Dan fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Apr 27, 2015

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Roobanguy posted:

has anyone made a highres textures of the dawnguard armor yet.

I know you got an answer about that one armor set already, but it's worth checking out this mod that puts really nice, intricately detailed textures on pretty much every item in the whole expansion. Their work on the vampire armors was really impressive.

Rydash
Dec 23, 2011

You got a real problem in here, gonna cost ya extra.
Probably a good announcement to make just hours after Beth's blogpost, to be even more confusing:

http://steamcommunity.com/games/SteamWorkshop/announcements/detail/208632365253244218

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rydash posted:

Probably a good announcement to make just hours after Beth's blogpost, to be even more confusing:

http://steamcommunity.com/games/SteamWorkshop/announcements/detail/208632365253244218

hahah holy gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

All the people who said Valve would never pull the feature have a lot of words to eat

• Locked thread