Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

ArbitraryTA posted:

I am starting to think it is this. I distinctly remember smelling burning plastic when I think back on it. gently caress sake.

Edit: Also the bike stalling out completely when it would go all Bermuda Triangle when throttling up the engine seems to be in line with descriptions of this green connector.

Double edit: So for a carbed bike like my 2001 is should I look into draining the fuel out of the tank before lifting it or does it not matter?

No idea about fuel in the tank, but tbh of all the things it could be, the green connector is by far the easiest/cheapest to fix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
Everyone was wrong more or less!

Water somehow found its way inside the insulation of the main power wiring. It then corroded it all to poo poo. The bike is now fixed and runs perfectly.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010
Does anyone need a stock 2007 seat? I replaced it with a Corbin. Good condition, no tears. Free if picked up in Redlands, CA. Cost of shipping otherwise.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I can't get my loving speedometer thing to work. I've bought two sensors now that test fine (they have a led that lights up when powered) on a bike battery, my wiring harness end of the speedo plug multimeters fine, the wires are hooked up the correct way, the male/female pins slide together fine, but for the life of me I can't get any power to the sensor when I plug it into the harness. What in the living gently caress.

Kastivich posted:

Does anyone need a stock 2007 seat? I replaced it with a Corbin. Good condition, no tears. Free if picked up in Redlands, CA. Cost of shipping otherwise.

Oooh, I've been needing one. PM me your paypal!

Oh my bad, no PMs. Hit me up on blah blah

M42 fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Mar 30, 2015

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Check fuses? Also, does the harness have power coming out at the sensor?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Fuses are fine, everything else works and there's not one fuse just for the speedo. Harness end tested fine. I think I must have hosed up the sensors testing them, ordered the actual go-to sensor that everyone on svrider uses (teach me to be a cheap gently caress).

Anyways, I give in, the SV is just a tiny bit too tall and wide in the seat for me to be comfortable on anything but 100% flat ground. Lowering front and rear an inch and setting up the rear suspension for my weight will be plenty enough. Any recommended lowering links? The ones I'm coming across are 2"+.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

M42 posted:

Fuses are fine, everything else works and there's not one fuse just for the speedo. Harness end tested fine. I think I must have hosed up the sensors testing them, ordered the actual go-to sensor that everyone on svrider uses (teach me to be a cheap gently caress).

Anyways, I give in, the SV is just a tiny bit too tall and wide in the seat for me to be comfortable on anything but 100% flat ground. Lowering front and rear an inch and setting up the rear suspension for my weight will be plenty enough. Any recommended lowering links? The ones I'm coming across are 2"+.

I got the vortex racing ones, from what I remember when I was obsessing over it it doesn't actually lower the bike 2 inches(but it is a 2 or 4 inch link). It did cause my license plate to hit my rear tire on occasion, and eventually I lost the plate cause of that. Sounds bad I guess but I put over 10,000 miles on the bike like that and didn't have an issue until the end when I had to go over a whole bunch of speed bumps in a row every day due to some construction at work(Pretty sure this is how I lost the plate but not 100% sure.) My "fender eliminator" (and really the whole tail region) was a loving mess anyway from the PO so on a normal bike it might not have been an issue at all.

It was worth whatever hassle it caused for me, I absolutely hated riding it until I lowered it down. I don't think it would matter for me now as my vfr800 is the same height as an SV but heavier and wider and it doesn't bother me at all, but being able to get more of my foot on the ground while I was adjusting to a heavier bike really helped.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

M42 posted:

Can you just trim down the seat? Lowering fucks with the suspension geometry, which isn't ideal.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Dang, I guess you're right since I can't change the angle of the headtube :( I had a friend who shaved the seat an inch, says it made her feel like she was sitting "inside" the bike too much. I'd probably end up laying on the tank too. Pick your poison, I guess... being short sucks

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Have you tried taller boots yet?
Getting an extra sole bonded to the bottom of your boots can give you an inch or so.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Z3n posted:

Have you tried taller boots yet?
Getting an extra sole bonded to the bottom of your boots can give you an inch or so.

I did that too, I didn't bond anything extra to the bottom of my boots but got ADV boots with a really thick sole, it was also worth it but it takes a while to adjust to shifting.

What's your inseam M42? I'm 29" or so. Everyone said lowering my bike would mess up the suspension also and it wasn't really that noticeable. It isn't like it transforms into a cruiser and you're going to have trouble going around a turn, I still have an easier time on the lowered 650 whipping through turns than I do on my pig-like VFR800. If you aren't enjoying riding the bike because it's too tall then lower the bike, if you aren't enjoying it after lowering it then change it back. It takes maybe an hour if you have the right tools to do the job.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

It's around 29, but I'm like 115lb soaking wet so I don't even settle the suspension on it. Boots are another awkward thing for me, since I have calves like whoa but tiny feet (mens 5), so most boots don't fit me at all - can't just find any old pair with a taller sole.

I think I'm going to shave the seat and get the front "flare" of it rounded down a little. I think it'll be enough, if not, I'll make my boots taller.

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
New problem! If I put on above..about 30-40% throttle on the bike it bogs like a motherfuck and it sounds like one of the cylinders isn't firing maybe? The sound of the engine changes dramatically and it -feels- like half the power is gone. Drop down below 40% throttle and everything runs as normal. I was thinking air or fuel filter, opinions?

Dunno if its important, but it seems to only be a problem when the engine is under load. If I have it in neutral I can rev it as much as I want with no problems.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Has it been wet lately? Check front cylinder, coil, and plug.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

M42 posted:

It's around 29, but I'm like 115lb soaking wet so I don't even settle the suspension on it

Respring it, it'll handle better and probably afford you some more foot contact.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

ArbitraryTA posted:

New problem! If I put on above..about 30-40% throttle on the bike it bogs like a motherfuck and it sounds like one of the cylinders isn't firing maybe? The sound of the engine changes dramatically and it -feels- like half the power is gone. Drop down below 40% throttle and everything runs as normal. I was thinking air or fuel filter, opinions?

Dunno if its important, but it seems to only be a problem when the engine is under load. If I have it in neutral I can rev it as much as I want with no problems.

Could be a clogged fuel filter or failing fuel pump.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

BlackMK4 posted:

Respring it, it'll handle better and probably afford you some more foot contact.
Yeah if you can get someone to help you or you wanna pay a shop to do it, It'll make the ride a lot better to get the sag set right, either with preload dicking with or spring changing. Here's a chart you can sperg out with: http://racetech.com/page/id/30#3

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011

Day Man posted:

Could be a clogged fuel filter or failing fuel pump.

Nah, the bike only has ~12,000 on it. I wouldn't think a vacuum fuel pump would die that quick.

The fuel filter though? That's probably a winner.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Sooooo. How terrible an idea is this?

http://www.bkmoto.com/Suzuki%20SV650%20HID%20BiXenon%20Projector%20kit%20with%20angel%20eye%20halo

Even after re-aiming, rewiring a relayed feed straight from the battery, and putting in the best bulbs I can find in my bucket (nekkid fo lyfe) my light output isn't as good as I'd like it to be at night.

I think someone here had/has an SV with that kit in it.

What sayeth yall?

(I have a Bandit, but we share almost identical front headlights.)

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
Haven't had a real chance to gently caress around too much with the SV since it's stored outside (under a cover) and it's been pretty rainy recently but I added Seafoam in an attempt to clear out the problem with some mild in-town riding to run the fuel down a bit whenever the weather is clear.

I have noticed though that the issues seem to get significantly worse the colder the engine is. Don't know if that narrows down what direction I should go with it.

Still only noticing any issues while under load and at more than 20-25% throttle and/or above 4200 RPM. At any point opening up the throttle too much seems to bog the engine. Bringing the RPMs up from about 4200 onwards the engine sounds like its running rough. Nothing knocking or rattling but almost like it's barely putting out enough power for the engine to maintain those RPMs.

Depending on engine temperature, it'll do anywhere from 30-50 MPH. If I put the throttle on hard and just leave it on for a bit, the second I pull the throttle off there's a loud backfire.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Drain the tank, pull the pump, and clean the filter. There is a post around here somewhere of me doing the same to an 06 SV650 that sat for >year.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Apr 10, 2015

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

loving ethanol

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
I replaced my SM2 bars with Bikemaster Superbike bars. I ride in town 75% of the time, the superbike bars are a million times more comfortable, and way easier to avoid weighting the bars. While swapping them out, I realized the PO must have put the R6 tube on there, full throttle at 1/4 turn. I don't know how I never noticed.

Barfolemew
Dec 5, 2011

Non Serviam
My brake light is on all the time and i can't figure out where the problem is. I had to to do a "holy poo poo he's running me over" emergency stop while driving to my winter storage. Hammered the rear brake pretty good. Is there a switch or something thats stuck now?

Barfolemew
Dec 5, 2011

Non Serviam
Other than that, the bike started beatifully after six months. Got do do some driving too today. Hooray.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Barfolemew posted:

My brake light is on all the time and i can't figure out where the problem is. I had to to do a "holy poo poo he's running me over" emergency stop while driving to my winter storage. Hammered the rear brake pretty good. Is there a switch or something thats stuck now?

You're the only one that can answer that. Start with both of the brake switches.

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
So, checked the rear plug since it was by all rights easier to get to than the front and uh.

I think I'm replacing my spark plugs maybe a little.

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
Update: swapped out the spark plugs and the bike has -way- better pickup, but she's still bogging. I checked out the in-line filter to see what might be up.

Somehow I missed this on the first go around. Anybody know if there are decent fuel filters still around for the old 1st gens?

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
About to join the sv650 club. Picking up a 2004 with only 9k on it on Friday. Going from a 1978 Honda cb400. Hopefully it's not to unforgiving in terms of power for annewer rider.

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011

zapplez posted:

About to join the sv650 club. Picking up a 2004 with only 9k on it on Friday. Going from a 1978 Honda cb400. Hopefully it's not to unforgiving in terms of power for annewer rider.

The 650 was actually my intro to sport bikes and it was a pretty drat nice intro. Its got enough power to do whatever you want it to do but it's forgiving to new riders.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

ArbitraryTA posted:

Update: swapped out the spark plugs and the bike has -way- better pickup, but she's still bogging. I checked out the in-line filter to see what might be up.

Somehow I missed this on the first go around. Anybody know if there are decent fuel filters still around for the old 1st gens?

I wouldn't run a fuel filter, unless you have a way of figuring out that the flow rate isn't restrictive enough to make sure that you get enough fuel through the thing.

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011

Z3n posted:

I wouldn't run a fuel filter, unless you have a way of figuring out that the flow rate isn't restrictive enough to make sure that you get enough fuel through the thing.

Well that particular filter was put on by the previous owner if I recall. I know I didn't put the one in the picture on there. Where do you suggest I go from here then?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

ArbitraryTA posted:

Well that particular filter was put on by the previous owner if I recall. I know I didn't put the one in the picture on there. Where do you suggest I go from here then?

Replace it with a straight through line, don't worry about it?

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
Ok, I'm lacking a manual for the bike. What size piping should I be looking at getting? It looks simple enough, just fit the pipe over and zip tie both ends nice and tight.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Just take a piece of the fuel line to an auto store and match it up. It's not pressurized or anything, so anything that's gas resistant plus the right size will work.

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011

Z3n posted:

Just take a piece of the fuel line to an auto store and match it up. It's not pressurized or anything, so anything that's gas resistant plus the right size will work.

Gotcha, and if I recall draining the fuel tank won't be necessary since the carbed engine on the 1st gens uses a vacuum pump right?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

ArbitraryTA posted:

Gotcha, and if I recall draining the fuel tank won't be necessary since the carbed engine on the 1st gens uses a vacuum pump right?

Yessir. You'll leak some gas but it shouldn't be more than about a cupfull.

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
Mkay, replaced the fuel line and it has much better pickup right until it hits that 4000 RPM mark. I can actually physically feel the power loss once it hits that mark, like someone just took part of the torque away and I shift forward a bit. If I lay the throttle on it still does the same thing where I can hear in the exhaust it sounds like it's getting too much air for how much fuel is coming in.

Things done so far:

Oil change, spark plug replacement, Seafoam fuel treatment, fuel filter bypass and line replacement.

The fuel coming through is crystal clear, so that's good. The fuel filter was actually turning the fuel a loving nasty color and there were particles in the post-filter gas that weren't present in the pre-filter gas in the line.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
time for a carburetor rebuild imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Clogged main jet, sounds like. Especially if poo poo was leaking into there.

• Locked thread