Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

I dragged the wife there during our mini honeymoon in 2011, glad to have seen the Mike Mcvey dioramas I drooled over as a youth and glad I didn't have to pay for the privilege :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Is she still your wife after that?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

enri posted:

I dragged the wife there during our mini honeymoon in 2011

This means a small honeymoon, not a miniatures-themed one... right?
:ohdear:

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

moths posted:

Enri is married to a Jain Zar mini, you see. He was there to meet the in-laws.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

enri posted:

I dragged the wife there during our mini honeymoon in 2011, glad to have seen the Mike Mcvey dioramas I drooled over as a youth and glad I didn't have to pay for the privilege :D

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Hollismason posted:

Is she still your wife after that?

She drew the line at having her picture taken by the space marine statue outside... it would have been a short marriage if I insisted on that one.

moths posted:

Ha, sadly yes :)

lilljonas posted:

Enri is married to a Jain Zar mini, you see. He was there to meet the in-laws.

Please, Jain Zar gets around a bit, I'm more a callidus assassin kinda guy.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."
Worked on some bases from Wargamma and had a lot of fun doing so. These will be bases for my Word Bearers that I have coming in the mail. Comments and criticisms are very welcome.

Dremcon
Sep 25, 2007
No, not a convention.
I found some trays at Michaels that are meant to hold markers upright but can hold Vallejo/Reaper paints if they're upside-down. Will I have any problems if I store these upside-down?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Dremcon posted:

I found some trays at Michaels that are meant to hold markers upright but can hold Vallejo/Reaper paints if they're upside-down. Will I have any problems if I store these upside-down?

I've heard that it might actually be *better* if you did so. Stops the outlets from clogging apparently?

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

enri posted:

Ha, sadly yes :)

/feeds wife cake
wife: "awww :h:"
/hands wife mini-wife statue from top of cake
wife: " :3: "
/briefly leaves room
wife: ":confused:"
/comes back in room with strange black case and pulling table on wheels topped with green felt
wife: ":catstare:"
"Ok sweety, place your figure in your deployment zone so we can start our honeymoon apoc-tourney. I have guard or the new ad mech for you, and I brought 'nids or DE for me to play. Your choice."
wife: ":commissar:"

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Dremcon posted:

link please, if possible?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

The Sisko posted:

Worked on some bases from Wargamma and had a lot of fun doing so. These will be bases for my Word Bearers that I have coming in the mail. Comments and criticisms are very welcome.

Those are some spo00o0o0o0ooky bases dude

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

It would not surprise me if GW made some kind of Ork Rok model. Some of my most favorite games have been inside things like that, where the game has been adjusted in some way to accommodate the Gigantic Thing. Didn't Space Marine have a mission with a crippled Emperor Titan hanging out? Even in a video game, where anything is possible, they realized that something that big would not work in that game engine (since it wasn't Painkiller, play Painkiller, Painkiller owns) so they worked around those limitations by making it more like scenery. Why would they not adjust the rules so that holy-gently caress-huge models operate more like a fortification? Where does a giant with god-splitting weapons need to travel to during this tiny skirmish?

Back in the day, some models stomped around the board without a base, even some Dreadnaughts, and it made playing the game easier. These bigger models, how the gently caress are you supposed to move into or onto terrain? At all?

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
One of the final levels of Dawn of War had you fighting over the ruins of an Imperator Titan. You could build generators to power up the guns, that was so awesome :buddy:

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Z the IVth posted:

I've heard that it might actually be *better* if you did so. Stops the outlets from clogging apparently?

This depends on how long you store the bottles upside down. The pigment will separate and settle into the nozzle, clogging it up and making it a real pain in the rear end to clean up. Honestly, I think it might be easier to stick a pin down the nozzle to clean out a little dried paint versus taking the entire bottle apart and having to clean all the pigment out and get it back into the bottle.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Super Waffle posted:

One of the final levels of Dawn of War had you fighting over the ruins of an Imperator Titan. You could build generators to power up the guns, that was so awesome :buddy:

Loved that level, Winter Assault was Winter Awesome

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I have decided to organize my hobby room.

Unfortunately, this resulted in a in unintentional paint census.

On the bright side, by the time I use this paint I will be good at painting...

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I am in the middle of the same thing. I took the opportunity to make a 72-paint comprehensive set of my current painting style that I put in a Vallejo paint case. I'm stopping myself from looking at my other paints and trying to see if I can work from a smaller collection and have a more definitive look. Also, it's good for travel.

My miniatures on the other hand, perhaps those will never be organized...

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Did I hear someone say they needed post-apocalyptic vehicle inspiration?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Lotsa Gorkamorka inspiration there... I already downloaded the entire series of photos to put in my inspiration folder.

God, this movie looks like it will be absolutely amazing.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
So a friend of mine offloaded me a bunch of primed Marines. I also just finished reading Flight of the Eisenstein a bit back.

This happened:

I don't know why, but I'm really enjoying knocking these guys out. Literally takes me a day to paint a squad - and this is after 8 hours at work. Just need to figure out how to do the bases for them - I'm planning on these red-orange-brown 'Martian rust desert' bases for them.

(Apologies for the poorer lightning with the scouts, the latter were finished seven or so hours after the tacs, the sun'd set and I don't have a proper lightbox setup yet)

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
This is going to sound like some hippy PETA poo poo but somehow I've lived 35 years without knowing that they kill weasels in the process of making sable brushes. I'm not a vegetarian or anything, or against leather, but I do have a bit of a problem with cute (look at this face!), possibly endangered animals being skinned so I can paint plastic toymans. I guess I assumed it was more like wool where the hair was harvested without killing the animal. Nope.

So anyway, what are some good synthetic brushes?

Imagined fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Apr 28, 2015

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Drake_263 posted:

So a friend of mine offloaded me a bunch of primed Marines. I also just finished reading Flight of the Eisenstein a bit back.

This happened:

I don't know why, but I'm really enjoying knocking these guys out. Literally takes me a day to paint a squad - and this is after 8 hours at work. Just need to figure out how to do the bases for them - I'm planning on these red-orange-brown 'Martian rust desert' bases for them.

(Apologies for the poorer lightning with the scouts, the latter were finished seven or so hours after the tacs, the sun'd set and I don't have a proper lightbox setup yet)

These guys look good! Props on cranking them out so fast. If you're gonna do Martian rust desert bases, I'd get that GW Martian Ironearth paint since it does that cool crackle effect, but it's red instead of brown.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

SRM posted:

These guys look good! Props on cranking them out so fast. If you're gonna do Martian rust desert bases, I'd get that GW Martian Ironearth paint since it does that cool crackle effect, but it's red instead of brown.

Or you could avoid the hassle of painting sand and make scientifically accurate martian soil :science:

Cut up some fine steel wool into little pieces and mix it in with some regular sand in a wide tray. Add enough water to cover all the wool bits and leave it outside to dry. The wool will rust and all the rust bits will leech into the sand, turning it red. Base coat your bases brown, apply glue, then sand and you're done :science:

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Imagined posted:

This is going to sound like some hippy PETA poo poo but somehow I've lived 35 years without knowing that they kill weasels in the process of making sable brushes. I'm not a vegetarian or anything, or against leather, but I do have a bit of a problem with cute (look at this face!), possibly endangered animals being skinned so I can paint plastic toymans. I guess I assumed it was more like wool where the hair was harvested without killing the animal. Nope.

So anyway, what are some good synthetic brushes?

Yeah, and they probably kill them in some horrible fashion as well. :cry: I'd be interested in alternatives as well - I was always under the impression that Kolinskys were the best. I don't know if synthetics have caught up.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
What about making brushes from your own hair?

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

SRM posted:

There's a Martian Ironearth paint? Score!

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

An Angry Bug posted:

What about making brushes from your own hair?

Too curly.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Taklon is a popular brand name for synthetic brushes (apparently each fiber is tapered like a real hair), but I don't have much experience with nylon brushes apart from using them as drybrushes (which they are great at). Oath Thread sponsor Springer-Pinsel do nylon brushes, some of the monthly winners will get to try them.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
These are decent: http://www.dickblick.com/products/blick-academic-synthetic-golden-taklon-round/

I actually do most of my painting with Testors economy brushes because they are really really durable and I thrash my brushes, those blick ones are a common brand that's rebranded under several different names (Testor's premium for instance).

But yes, they do kill the animals when they make sable brushes (and other applications of sable of which brushes are usually a byproduct) but it's not like they are hunting endangered animals in their natural habitats, most sable comes from farms which was why a lot of people were annoyed at the recent heavy restrictions on sable imports (because they were basically only hurting countries that responsibly farm martens while the areas that poach and over hunt them were unaffected because they don't really export that stuff to the US). They are adorable so I guess if you have issue with the farming of other adorable animals like rabbits and goats or the casual murder of cute pest animals like ground squirrels then yeah, you probably should avoid sable brushes.

I personally always found them too springy IMHO.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Hollismason posted:

So I guess we can look forward to having the GW website be a subscription based service like the New York Times. 3.99 a month and you can browse our catalogue!

You joke, but a semi-local model shop sells old Tamiya catalogs to the tune of $10 a pop.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I get those white synthetic brushes you buy cheap in a bag at Wal-Mart. They work nicely, last pretty long, and are cheap enough that I actually retire them when they need it.

It's also helpful that they're white, since you can see when there's still paint in them.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Another new tank! This one is a 1:35th scale Valentine made by some no-name Russian company in the 90s, but is strangely good quality for that.

The colours ended up very vibrant on this one, and I think the washing turned out really well.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I think it looks excellent!!

First models I ever started on were airplanes and tanks, so I got a soft spot for them and will probably start building some.

I'm debating just trying to get as close the 40k Scale as possible and using them as a Imperial Guard tank or something too.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Big Willy Style posted:

Yeah that is mega dumb. Lets charge people to experience a really great promotional tool.

Why not? They've been charging people to experience a poor-to-middling promotional tool for decades.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Ensign Expendable posted:

You joke, but a semi-local model shop sells old Tamiya catalogs to the tune of $10 a pop.

Yeah, but those are nice color catalogs of professionally painted models, often on amazing dioramas. It's more the equivalent of the old GW catalogs you had to pay for (with less B&W photography.)

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
I have a black primer+paint, could I use that on my minis? I was planning on trying some zenithal priming but I'm not sure if I should just buy new primer or use that old stuff.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Really depends on the type of paint. Is it some sort of combined paint and primer or something? If it's normal primer then yeah, that's the color I and a bunch of other people normally use.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

jodai posted:

I have a black primer+paint, could I use that on my minis? I was planning on trying some zenithal priming but I'm not sure if I should just buy new primer or use that old stuff.

No, don't use paint and prime on minis. Not only do you have to worry about obscuring details but sometimes the paint component is hydrophobic and will make painting hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

El Estrago Bonito posted:

No, don't use paint and prime on minis. Not only do you have to worry about obscuring details but sometimes the paint component is hydrophobic and will make painting hard.

That only happens on gloss paints. So long as it's primer it probably won't be gloss. I use Rustoleum, Krylon, or whatever kind of primer for my minis. Details are only obscured if I'm being an idiot and laying the paint on way too thick.