Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

How will you tell how much life they have left?

I figure when they start staggering, losing litres of blood, missing a couple of horns/claws/wings, and generally look like they just got their poo poo kicked hard, that they're pretty close to losing the fight. Works for Monster Hunter.

EDIT: don't actually be like Monster Hunter, having a wounded monster turn tail and run away because you're about to kill it is the most frustrating thing in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I figure when they start staggering, losing litres of blood, missing a couple of horns/claws/wings, and generally look like they just got their poo poo kicked hard, that they're pretty close to losing the fight. Works for Monster Hunter.

EDIT: don't actually be like Monster Hunter, having a wounded monster turn tail and run away because you're about to kill it is the most frustrating thing in the world.

All of those things would be great if they were features we had.
(You may be able to turn off health bars, I have no idea, I'm just not sure I understand the aversion.)

Comte de Saint-Germain fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 27, 2015

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

(You may be able to turn off health bars, I have no idea, I'm just not sure I understand the aversion.)

Personally I've no aversion to health bars or anything, they just seem very contrasty and 'on top'.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Here's one from a guy who rolls his "r" when he says "role" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94R0Ji39E68
Oh hey, I'm watching this guy's Witcher LP right now.

Question about Joe's video - would the horse kick actually do damage to anyone behind the horse, or is that just an animation with no effect on the world?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Because I think a UI in a game like the Witcher should be as unobtrusive as possible, mostly. Ideally, you'd be able to tell from in-game effects but I understand why that's not possible. As is, I think the useful effects of a healthbar are less helpful for my enjoyment than the cleanliness of the game without them. I like the targeting icons you guys are using; they're subtle but fit with the style. A big glowing red box with crosshairs might work for a space flightsim indicating missile lock, but would be out of place in Witcher. I think healthbars can be similar. On the other hand, you do need feedback for "hey, dumbass, your sword is the wrong type!" if you hit it with the wrong one.

Maybe, adding healthbars as a mechanic as you research more about the monster would be cool. As-is, I kind of like the idea of getting a rough idea of how many sword hits it takes to kill on my own (or adding it to a bestiary saying how much health it has so I can figure that out myself) and keeping track mid-combat. Gives me more to do and makes me feel like I'm mastering the game rather than Geralt doing it for me.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Has this been posted?
Considering the leaps in graphic fidelity from Witcher 1 to 2 and now to 3, I'm expecting Witcher 4 to look like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8Bh7esrGkM

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ravenfood posted:

Because I think a UI in a game like the Witcher should be as unobtrusive as possible, mostly. Ideally, you'd be able to tell from in-game effects but I understand why that's not possible. As is, I think the useful effects of a healthbar are less helpful for my enjoyment than the cleanliness of the game without them. I like the targeting icons you guys are using; they're subtle but fit with the style. A big glowing red box with crosshairs might work for a space flightsim indicating missile lock, but would be out of place in Witcher. I think healthbars can be similar. On the other hand, you do need feedback for "hey, dumbass, your sword is the wrong type!" if you hit it with the wrong one.

Maybe, adding healthbars as a mechanic as you research more about the monster would be cool. As-is, I kind of like the idea of getting a rough idea of how many sword hits it takes to kill on my own (or adding it to a bestiary saying how much health it has so I can figure that out myself) and keeping track mid-combat. Gives me more to do and makes me feel like I'm mastering the game rather than Geralt doing it for me.

From what I've seen, you can turn on and off every aspect of the UI, including enemy health bars and floating damage numbers and anything else.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Diran posted:

You don't notice the difference even on something like site?

http://30vs60.com/

I can sort of see it there, I wouldn't stand a chance if they weren't right next to one another. Basically I apparently have broken eyes.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Diran posted:

You don't notice the difference even on something like site?

http://30vs60.com/

I followed the directions here and stared at the 30 fps side for 4-5 cycles and then looked at the 60 one. The only video where I saw a difference was the Battlefield vehicle one driving super fast in a Jeep. I didn't notice any appreciable difference in anything else.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Ice Fist posted:

I followed the directions here and stared at the 30 fps side for 4-5 cycles and then looked at the 60 one. The only video where I saw a difference was the Battlefield vehicle one driving super fast in a Jeep. I didn't notice any appreciable difference in anything else.

I saw a *slight* difference in the fires of Far Cry 3. I think the larger the display the easier it may be to spot differences, however.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I'm extremely jealous of everybody who can't notice the difference between 30 and 60 FPS.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

I was fine with 30fps until I played Rage. Now it's 60fps or GTFO.

It can be an immersion thing, it can be a difficulty thing, whatever. I think that it can also trigger a desire to min-max, like if I use a powerful item on an enemy that's near death, I'm wasting it. W3 might be an RPG with levels and stuff, but suppressing that when actually out in the world is appealing.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Ash1138 posted:

I was fine with 30fps until I played Rage. Now it's 60fps or GTFO.

I was fine too, until I played RAGE. I just stopped playing RAGE. What a blah game. Better than Destiny, I suppose. Mad Max seems pretty dope at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKRGvSi5xXk

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Pwnstar posted:

The AngryJoe dudes actually realise their mistake pretty quickly, one of them reads the questlog and immediately realised that a noonwraith probably only comes out during the day.

yes you definitely need to read the quest log for that, after all "noon" literally means "any time of the day or night"

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

jaete posted:

yes you definitely need to read the quest log for that, after all "noon" literally means "any time of the day or night"

I haven't watched the video but it seems like it's pretty easy to think of it just as an enemy name. Don't act like you've never made a stupid mistake like that in a game.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

jaete posted:

Well they just thought it was a ghost then they read the questlog and were like "oh right noonwraith" so yeah it helps..?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Ice Fist posted:

Yeah, that site isn't so good, use this one instead. Set one ball to 60fps, the other to 30fps, turn off motion blur and play around with the velocity. You can also switch around the background and increase the number of balls. You'll hopefully notice that if you set velocity to 50 there's basically no difference between the two, but set to 1000 and the 60fps ball will look like it's moving a lot more smoothly than the 30fps ball. Also play around with the background too.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Hey Comte, I know that you've answered similar questions regarding what plotstates will be imported from the earlier Witcher games but I just want to know whether only the PC version will have a full savegame transfer while the console versions only get to decide the broad strokes of what plot choices Geralt went with or is it all the same for all the versions of the game?

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

On the subject of monsters. Are the big ones a one and done sort of deal or can you always chop off wyvern heads.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Sylphosaurus posted:

Hey Comte, I know that you've answered similar questions regarding what plotstates will be imported from the earlier Witcher games but I just want to know whether only the PC version will have a full savegame transfer while the console versions only get to decide the broad strokes of what plot choices Geralt went with or is it all the same for all the versions of the game?

PS4 and Xbox One can't read PC saves. I don't know how else you'd expect to import saves.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Crappy Jack posted:

PS4 and Xbox One can't read PC saves. I don't know how else you'd expect to import saves.
I was mostly thinking how Bioware solved the whole save game deal with their Keep program.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Best preview video so far:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94R0Ji39E68

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Sylphosaurus posted:

I was mostly thinking how Bioware solved the whole save game deal with their Keep program.

Why do people like the Keep so much? It seemed like a lazy way of getting around the fact that they had screwed up the import-system so badly that they just had to completely start from scratch. Kind of a running theme with Bioware these days...

If the Keep had let you import and edit your previous savegames, or made it simpler to even just import worldstates, I could almost see it being a useful tool. As it was delivered, it was just a jumbled mess of out-of-context choices, hidden within a labyrinthine cage of click-throughs, which would probably be meaningless to new players. What's the appeal?

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
If this video is to be believed then a single GTX 980 can run the game at 60fps on ultra. Hopefully the 970 isn't too far away from it either.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Hopefully a 980 will do the same for 1440p.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Anti-Hero posted:

Hopefully a 980 will do the same for 1440p.

It probably can, but not smoothly.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I don't know if I'll need to (obviously), but is there a good guide for overclocking a 970 if that is "necessary"?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Andrast posted:

I haven't watched the video but it seems like it's pretty easy to think of it just as an enemy name. Don't act like you've never made a stupid mistake like that in a game.

That happens in Act 4 of a game that has had time of day dependent enemy spawns since Act 1.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Mr E posted:

I don't know if I'll need to (obviously), but is there a good guide for overclocking a 970 if that is "necessary"?

Generally you want to grab the card monitoring/overclocking tools for your card (MSI Afterburner, EVGA Precision, Asus GPUTweak, etc) and it's just a matter of upping the clock speed incrementally generally.

http://www.pcgamer.com/how-to-overclock-your-graphics-card/#page-1

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Generally you want to grab the card monitoring/overclocking tools for your card (MSI Afterburner, EVGA Precision, Asus GPUTweak, etc) and it's just a matter of upping the clock speed incrementally generally.

http://www.pcgamer.com/how-to-overclock-your-graphics-card/#page-1

Oh, well that seems even easier than CPU overclocking.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
Is the copy of W3 coming with 960/970/980 cards just a Steam key?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Cheston posted:

Is the copy of W3 coming with 960/970/980 cards just a Steam key?

No, it's a Gog key that is redeemed to your account automatically after redeeming the code to Nvidia.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

If I may ask, what did you find particularly interesting about this?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Why do people like the Keep so much? It seemed like a lazy way of getting around the fact that they had screwed up the import-system so badly that they just had to completely start from scratch. Kind of a running theme with Bioware these days...

If the Keep had let you import and edit your previous savegames, or made it simpler to even just import worldstates, I could almost see it being a useful tool. As it was delivered, it was just a jumbled mess of out-of-context choices, hidden within a labyrinthine cage of click-throughs, which would probably be meaningless to new players. What's the appeal?

You can import and edit savegames with it though?

oatgan fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Apr 28, 2015

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008
Can you wear monster heads on hooks? I loved that in the first game.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill
http://gamingbolt.com/witcher-3-map-size-compared-to-gta5-skyrim-far-cry-4-new-screens-show-different-visual-settings

:aaa:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

ghouldaddy07 posted:

Can you wear monster heads on hooks? I loved that in the first game.

Believe it's more toward the Witcher 2 style where it's parts of monsters rather than just heads.

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.
Been watching those preview videos and the game looks great. But one little thing I really don't like: they've changed the Axii sign animation when you use it on someone in a conversation; a huge ugly axii graphic is displayed and little axxi symbols flutter around the persons head. I thought TW2 got it perfectly: a move of Geralt's fingers and a flash of his eyes was subtle and cool.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I liked it because my old PC is getting pretty long in the tooth and the Keep allowed me to transfer my worldstate on my PS4 without having to go on an upgrade bender for my desktop. Is that honestly such a strange concept to you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I have been keeping myself mostly in the dark on this game intentionally, but do you get a ship to navigate the seas with? I notice a lot of water on that map.

I don't expect a full Black Flag style ship (though that would have been loving rad) but it'd be nice to have the option to manually sail if you wanted to.

• Locked thread