Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Why would I not use the headphone / mic input for mic input

You want something that works or not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

beefnoodle posted:

You want something that works or not?

I would like to get a straight answer actually

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Endless Mike posted:

As soon as you started talking about flashing ROMs, I'm out. I've got better things to do with my time than janitor my car stereo. I just want something that I can turn on and it works, which is why I'm only even considering it, since the stock Bluetooth works perfectly.

The nice thing is my car will take any double DIN head unit, so I can shove pretty much anything in there.

Pick literally any pioneer out there and you won't hate it. Just make sure it has Bluetooth and is a 2015 model. Beyond that, if you want extra subs and poo poo make sure it has sub preouts.

Just be a normal adult and buy it from crutchfield and get your free install gear and tech support. Hell they overnighted me a free replacement dash kit because the one I got had a tiny crack in it.

Also gently caress best buy. They disabled contactless payment a while ago. Used to be able to buy tvs with my phone. Now? Can't buy a loving soda. Best buy can eat a dick.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

A Yolo Wizard posted:

I would like to get a straight answer actually

30-pin or lightning port will work, the headphone jack won't, that's why.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

EbolaIvory posted:

Pick literally any pioneer out there and you won't hate it. Just make sure it has Bluetooth and is a 2015 model. Beyond that, if you want extra subs and poo poo make sure it has sub preouts.

Just be a normal adult and buy it from crutchfield and get your free install gear and tech support. Hell they overnighted me a free replacement dash kit because the one I got had a tiny crack in it.

Also gently caress best buy. They disabled contactless payment a while ago. Used to be able to buy tvs with my phone. Now? Can't buy a loving soda. Best buy can eat a dick.

The one I was looking at is $160 more on Crutchfield. Do they price match?

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

EbolaIvory posted:

Contactless payment is dumb because everyone has to carry both their wallet and their phone with them basically no matter what, so why not just use the card. Everything you can get at Best Buy is way cheaper on Amazon . Best Buy is a total misnomer.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

uninterrupted posted:

30-pin or lightning port will work, the headphone jack won't, that's why.

Unless something has changed in the past 24 hours since I looked at it, the iphone has a TRRS jack with mic in support. The included earbuds even have an inline mic.

So I'm pretty sure that's the exact opposite of a straight answer to, "why wouldn't I connect a microphone to the mic input on the iPhone's TRRS jack, with an adapter or otherwise?"

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Apr 28, 2015

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Unless something has changed in the past 24 hours since I looked at it, the iphone has a TRRS jack with mic in support. The included earbuds even have an inline mic.

So I'm pretty sure that's the exact opposite of a straight answer to, "why wouldn't I connect a microphone to the mic input on the iPhone's TRRS jack, with an adapter or otherwise?"

Yeah, this is weird. They sell lavs, crappy condenser mics, even XLR adapters. They all go into the headphone jack.

There are some actual quality ones from good brands that plug into the Lightning port. I assume it has a higher bitrate or something like that?

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003
Does anyone occasionally receive MMS messages instead of iMessages in some group conversations? I don't understand how I'm getting these despite having my email as an iMessage recipient. Thoughts here?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Do you want to connect an XLR mic to the the phone? Here's one that takes batteries and feeds phantom power back to the mic.

http://www.amazon.com/TASCAM-iXZ-Instrument-input-iPhone/dp/B005NZ05J8

Or maybe you want just one of these.

http://www.amazon.com/Rode-SC4-inches-Microphone-Cable/dp/B00L6C8PN0/

It's got this picture next to it which looks pretty legit to me that it works.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

Ethereal posted:

Does anyone occasionally receive MMS messages instead of iMessages in some group conversations? I don't understand how I'm getting these despite having my email as an iMessage recipient. Thoughts here?

The person sending it sent it as a text/MMS rather than as an iMessage?

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Michael Scott posted:

Contactless payment is dumb because everyone has to carry both their wallet and their phone with them basically no matter what, so why not just use the card. Everything you can get at Best Buy is way cheaper on Amazon . Best Buy is a total misnomer.

Best buy prices matches Amazon and both companies charge me sales tax.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Yeah Amazon hasn't been cheaper for normal brand name stuff for a while now. I've been shopping at Best Buy more in the last 2 years than I have in the previous 10 before that.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

kitten smoothie posted:

Do you want to connect an XLR mic to the the phone? Here's one that takes batteries and feeds phantom power back to the mic.

http://www.amazon.com/TASCAM-iXZ-Instrument-input-iPhone/dp/B005NZ05J8

Or maybe you want just one of these.

http://www.amazon.com/Rode-SC4-inches-Microphone-Cable/dp/B00L6C8PN0/

It's got this picture next to it which looks pretty legit to me that it works.

I'm actually trying to pull audio in from an ancient Bell land line telephone (yes this doesn't make a lot of sense DONT ASK WHAT THE PROJECT IS).

I was halfway through writing this post when further testing revealed that my current setup was working (this startech adapter and [url = http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0034I75IK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1] this loving thing[/url]) but the audio levels are just way, way, way low. If there is a suitable usb or lightning adapter this will take a 1/8 mono plug and preamp it or whatever, I'm all ears (or possible other more economical solutions)

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I was having trouble with the ring/silent switch on my launch day 6 going haywire and ringing when I had it on silent and vice versa, so I brought it into the Apple Store today and they gave me a new one for free :D That's the second time I've gotten a brand new replacement phone for free from them while in warranty (I think the first one was my 4) and it rules just as much the second time.

Apparently my front camera on the one I was having trouble with was misaligned too? Which I never even noticed, but the new one I got has one that's supposed to be more accurate, so that's rad.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

edit: ^^ I have the misaligned camera too and it's gotten a little worse since I got the phone on launch day. Hadn't affected image quality and been too busy to take it in.^^

I don't know what you're recording with appwise but maybe try one that lets you set the input gain higher too (maybe at the expense of distortion).

I don't know what iOS sets the default to be, but the SDK looks like an app that's better than the free sound recorder could adjust it.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Apr 28, 2015

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003

CaptainCaveman posted:

The person sending it sent it as a text/MMS rather than as an iMessage?

Usually not because other recipients get it as an iMessage.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Mazda was a very latecomer and as far as I know isn't selling any cars with it yet.

Is there any reason to believe it could be added after the fact?

Car company [total lack of] software expertise being what it is, I doubt it.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

Lexicon posted:

Is there any reason to believe it could be added after the fact?

Car company [total lack of] software expertise being what it is, I doubt it.

In the case of Mazda I very much doubt it as they aren't trying to lead in features and tech these days. If it doesn't increase gas mileage, they don't care. (no hate, Mazda3s GT owner)

The only company I can see adding it in a future patch would be Ford as they have been providing software updates to MyFordTouch constantly over the years.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Michael Scott posted:

I love me some Amazon, but your statement is not true anymore. My last 2 electronics purchases (GoPro Hero3+ and a pair of bluetooth noise-canceling headphones) were both cheaper by $20-$25 at Best Buy.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
And Best Buy will price match Amazon, so at worst they are the same price.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
And it's a lot easier to use Apple Pay than to use a credit card.

Economic Sinkhole
Mar 14, 2002
Pillbug

kitten smoothie posted:

edit: ^^ I have the misaligned camera too and it's gotten a little worse since I got the phone on launch day. Hadn't affected image quality and been too busy to take it in.^^

I took my launch 6 in for this exact issue (and the little issue of a cracked screen). They replaced the screen with no trouble, it just took them an hour to do it. My new front camera is already showing the same issue again after only 2 weeks. From what I found it is actually a tiny piece of foam that is slipping out of place between the camera and the glass, and it can't move far enough to affect pictures. Still annoying though.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
nm

just_a_guy
Feb 18, 2010

Look into my eyes!

Economic Sinkhole posted:

I took my launch 6 in for this exact issue (and the little issue of a cracked screen). They replaced the screen with no trouble, it just took them an hour to do it. My new front camera is already showing the same issue again after only 2 weeks. From what I found it is actually a tiny piece of foam that is slipping out of place between the camera and the glass, and it can't move far enough to affect pictures. Still annoying though.

I just noticed this on my 6 today. I though I was imagining things. does yours also have a wobbly screen? When I press on the corner of mine it has some give. Maybe that's causing the issue
It's my second one. The first had something wrong with the headphone jack (I actually dropped it and there was a nasty scratch on the screen) they replaced it without issue.
I am thinking of holding on a replacement until before I flip it for the 6s

just_a_guy fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Apr 28, 2015

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

And Best Buy will price match Amazon, so at worst they are the same price.

I've even had them price match third party sellers on Amazon though their policy says they don't. It was $200 off a Surface Pro 3 before there was basically a firesale on the thing. I just told them I was aware of their policy and totally understood if they didn't want to price match an amazon third party but I thought I'd ask them and see before I just bought it off the internet.

I'm sure it's different when you're buying a $1500 machine (and the cost) vs. a $50 video game but I'm glad Best Buy is starting to get their poo poo together and compete vs. fade away into nothing like Circuit City.

fake edit: I worked at Circuit City in high school and it was the most fun job I've ever had. Sad they tried to be Best Buy (at the time) and went out of business.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Am I the only one who isn't that excited about CarPlay because it doesn't work over BT?

I don't have CarPlay now, but at least I can still stream content to my OEM head unit via Bluetooth...

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

dexter6 posted:

Am I the only one who isn't that excited about CarPlay because it doesn't work over BT?

I don't have CarPlay now, but at least I can still stream content to my OEM head unit via Bluetooth...

They pushed out an update in 8.3 to enable it over Bluetooth. Your radio has to support it though.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Biodome posted:

They pushed out an update in 8.3 to enable it over Bluetooth. Your radio has to support it though.
Oh, cool, good to know.

I also did a search for a listing of apps that support it but the best I could find was a ~6mo old article with only 5 or so apps.

Anyone have a definitive source with more info?

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Biodome posted:

Don't you mean wifi? I'd think transfer rates over BT would be awful.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

MrBond posted:

Don't you mean wifi? I'd think transfer rates over BT would be awful.

Whoops, yeah, I meant wifi, so you can use it wirelessly.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

So I'm kind of confused about this: I got a new router today, a Netgear AC, because my previous router died, and that one was also a Netgear and also an AC I think, but it was a couple years old and not as fast as the new one I got. My previous router had 2.4GHZ and 5GHZ functionality, and I know the 5GHZ network was set up correctly because certain devices in my house were able to find it and connect to it, but my iPhone never did. I get this new router this evening and set it all up and suddenly my iPhone is able to connect to its 5GHZ network and is now running way faster through WiFi than it ever has before.

What gives?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Sounds like you had a really lovely router. Good call buying the same brand again.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Consumer routers are universally poo poo these days, if you manage to find one that actually works it's probably got some gaping unpatched remote vulnerability. You really got to get into the enthusiast area to find any quality. Or spend thousands on enterprise stuff.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Apparently iOS 8.4 is available as a public beta but when I enrolled on the Appleseed public beta site (http://appleseed.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/) it's only mentioning OSX after I log in. Did I read wrong about iOS betas being publicly available a little while after developers get them?

shootforit
Oct 11, 2006

Anyone else having a weird volume issue?

I can be actively using my phone, going in between apps, listening to music, etc, and out of nowhere the volume will reduce drastically. Without the volume bar moving.

It turns itself down so much that when I do turn the volume bar up all the way, it is not loud at all.

Usually volume all the way up while wearing EarPods will hurt my ears. Not when this happens though.

A reboot always fixes it. Any thoughts?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

shootforit posted:

Anyone else having a weird volume issue?

I can be actively using my phone, going in between apps, listening to music, etc, and out of nowhere the volume will reduce drastically. Without the volume bar moving.

It turns itself down so much that when I do turn the volume bar up all the way, it is not loud at all.

Usually volume all the way up while wearing EarPods will hurt my ears. Not when this happens though.

A reboot always fixes it. Any thoughts?
I had glitches like this in the past, where the background audio volume would decrease during a notification sound, but then get "stuck" in a permanently lowered state. It usually happened when I was using bluetooth headphones though.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I just had that happen in Century City, except just that game has muted volume and everything else is fine. But I'm okay with it because the sounds in that game are annoying.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

xzzy posted:

Consumer routers are universally poo poo these days, if you manage to find one that actually works it's probably got some gaping unpatched remote vulnerability. You really got to get into the enthusiast area to find any quality. Or spend thousands on enterprise stuff.

The Apple Airport Express would like a word with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well Apple stuff gets a pass as the exception to the rule because that's how Apple rolls.

But most people look at the price tag and are all "hell no."