Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

mirror123 posted:

I have a friend that grew up in the US but now wants to move back to Taiwan to be close to her parents. She's spent a few years teaching at public schools in the states and I believe has a degree related to education (from what I can tell that doesn't really matter?). Do you guys think that she should go the cram schools route or look for something different with that background? She's Taiwanese so she won't have the "foreigner" look going for her at cram schools.

If she's not visibly foreign/visibly the wrong kind of foreign (Indian, southeast Asian) most cram schools won't bother with her, hth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
If she's good with tech and can write well, we're still looking for tech writers, though if she can land an international school teaching gig, that would definitely be the way to go I think.

mirror123
Jan 17, 2006
rice barrel
By international schools do you mean places like Taipei American School or Morrison Academy? Are the benefits significantly better than perhaps some of the private schools? I browsed tealit a bit and some of the private schools offer accommodations as well as pretty good pay, but the Taiwan in me makes me think that subsidized apartments is an excuse for the school to work you to death.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
From what I can tell, working for a Taiwanese private school isn't any better than working for a Taiwanese public school since they're for profit and generally do whatever makes the parents happy. That isn't to say that the international schools aren't like that, but the more prestigious a place tries to be, the more fair they tend to be towards their employees. But this is based entirely on my friends bitching on facebook about how much they hate their private school jobs.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
How does the pay compare from a private school to say, teaching at a buxiban. I'm going to be sticking at my current gig for another year, but I just want to put some feelers out and get some research done, so this time next year when the decision comes to stay or go I can be much better informed of my options.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

YF19pilot posted:

How does the pay compare from a private school to say, teaching at a buxiban. I'm going to be sticking at my current gig for another year, but I just want to put some feelers out and get some research done, so this time next year when the decision comes to stay or go I can be much better informed of my options.

booooooooooooooo

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Just kidding congrats man :)

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Think every private school likes to call themselves an international school. When I mean international school, I mean schools part of search associates and geared towards children of embassy workers and fat expat packages like the Taipei American School. The schools are also part of some world wide fraternity and hire people through the Bangkok Career fair.

http://www.searchassociates.com/

Basically, they accept public teachers from public school teachers from English speaking countries. Or PGDE holders. Pay wise, I think it's probably as high as you can get. Salary on average is around 60k USD a year + housing. Vacation time is plentiful, the teachers tend to be unionized.The downside (or up) is that your workload and puts you into the expat bubble. So you don't really know any local friends nor are you inclined to learn the local language. So the lifestyle causes people to drift from country to country after a few years for a change of environment.

Source: Goons who don't really post in these threads anymore because they are just too tired from work

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
60k is a bit high where I am. We have international school teachers that start at 40~45k with housing included and they come from all over for the jobs, so it can't be that bad.

source: my friends telling me what they get paid in Tianjin, China

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

goldboilermark posted:

Just kidding congrats man :)

Thanks. I was leaning toward this way, it's a surefire way to have two years of actual experience to take with me wherever I go. I'll see how I feel a year from now.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
I woke up today craving some of that sweet sweet Yonghe soy milk.

I miss Taiwan :(

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Insane Totoro posted:

I woke up today craving some of that sweet sweet Yonghe soy milk.

I miss Taiwan :(
Don't worry, if recent news is anything to go by it's probably full of poisons anyway.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Fyi: AIT sent out this lovely information:

quote:

The Taipei City Government has announced that the annual Wan An Air Defense Exercise will be held on Tuesday, April 28, 2015 from 1:30pm- 2:00pm in northern Taiwan. The exercise will be marked by a loud siren. During this 30 minute period, all vehicular and pedestrian traffic will be suspended. Vehicles must pull off the road (except for freeway traffic), and pedestrians must take shelter for the duration of the exercise. MRT trains will be operating as usual, but passengers will not be allowed to exit MRT stations. The Taipei Rapid Transit Corporation (TRTC) has advised that violators of the air defense exercise regulations may be fined up to NT$150,000, per Article 25 of the Taiwan Civil Defense Act. Please plan accordingly.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I'm sure there's some reason telling everyone in advance doesn't render the whole exercise pointless.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
It gives me time to make a counterfeit police uniform and go around loudly (and drunkenly?) requesting 150,000 smackers from people in waiguoyu

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

duckfarts posted:

Fyi: AIT sent out this lovely information:

They already did their little exercise here in Chiayi. I suppose the idea of warning people ahead of time is to avoid panic, like people really thinking that SHTF and China is coming across the strait.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Not to double post, but, had some stinky tofu and a "thousand-year" egg last night. The stinky tofu, I was informed of it being such after I ate it. Wasn't bad, smelled like parmesan cheese, and tasted like it to. The thousand year egg wasn't awful like I thought it would be. Just not something I would consider on a regular basis. Not bad, but not really good either.

I always get people telling me these foods are awful, am I eating at the "wrong" places?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

YF19pilot posted:

Not to double post, but, had some stinky tofu and a "thousand-year" egg last night. The stinky tofu, I was informed of it being such after I ate it. Wasn't bad, smelled like parmesan cheese, and tasted like it to. The thousand year egg wasn't awful like I thought it would be. Just not something I would consider on a regular basis. Not bad, but not really good either.

I always get people telling me these foods are awful, am I eating at the "wrong" places?

No they just have bad taste.

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002
Correct. Stinky Tofu is sweet titty nectar.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Deep fried century egg and kung pow century egg are both my steez, I can't take that silken tofu/century egg/醬油膏 poo poo though, that's foul

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Actually deep fried century egg isn't that bad. Although I did have it at a work function and thought it was meat.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

The stinky tofu I had was basically slightly odd tasting normal tofu. Kind of a let-down actually.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

quadrophrenic posted:

Deep fried century egg and kung pow century egg are both my steez, I can't take that silken tofu/century egg/醬油膏 poo poo though, that's foul

I had the Kung Pow century egg. I think the spices helped me to realize that it wasn't some god awful thing I was eating.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

An entire weekend's warning and somehow I still get my rear end stuck inside a loving bank for that dumb drill.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

TetsuoTW posted:

An entire weekend's warning and somehow I still get my rear end stuck inside a loving bank for that dumb drill.

:lol::lol::lol:

i didn't even notice a goddamn thing, didn't even remember hearing a siren or anything

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

On the plus side I did get to see this badass motherfucker on the news:

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

YF19pilot posted:

I'm thinking of saving up and buying a proper motorcycle. Anybody have any opinions on specific models? There's a guy selling a 2002 SYM Wolf 125 on the cheap, and I'm curious if it's any good.

I'll add my previous long winded post to Duckfarts' at some point.

The Kymco and SYM 150's really are a poor choice. The power to weight ratio is entirely hosed. The reason is they're using the same chassis as they do on their bigger bikes.

Both firms (actually most brands now) offer a 300, and those actually hit a really nice sweet spot.

If you've done some time on a scooter and your confident enough that you can handle non-linear acceleration, then I'd totally suggest a 250 or a 300. I just spent the past 15 months on a Ninja 250 everyday, and it was an absolute riot of a bike. If I could afford to keep two bikes I'd totally get another one as a daily commute ... They are so so so very much fun.

The licensing is yellow plate after 249, so you should keep that in mind. That said, yellow plates can use a good portion of the elevated roads which gets you out of the lovely scrum madness of scooters.

I'd honestly suggest you have a poke around CA, there's a lot of knowledge and good banter in there, the myths and bullshit get shot down very quickly.

I currently have a former colleagues Yamaha FZR 150 in my garage. He didn't look after it as well as he ought, but, its not in the worst shape. If you've got the time to give it some love, let me know. I'll pass it on for a song.

E: Also yeah, as Akami said the big scooters are very worthy of consideration, they hit most ranges 155, 180, 300, 550, 650, 850 etc. Do not underestimate the riding position of a sports/supersports. If you wanna do a lot of long trips, I'd seriously consider the s-max and t-max ranges.

url fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Apr 29, 2015

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

url posted:

I'll add my previous long winded post to Duckfarts' at some point.

The Kymco and SYM 150's really are a poor choice. The power to weight ratio is entirely hosed. The reason is they're using the same chassis as they do on their bigger bikes.

Both firms (actually most brands now) offer a 300, and those actually hit a really nice sweet spot.

If you've done some time on a scooter and your confident enough that you can handle non-linear acceleration, then I'd totally suggest a 250 or a 300. I just spent the past 15 months on a Ninja 250 everyday, and it was an absolute riot of a bike. If I could afford to keep two bikes I'd totally get another one as a daily commute ... They are so so so very much fun.

The licensing is yellow plate after 249, so you should keep that in mind. That said, yellow plates can use a good portion of the elevated roads which gets you out of the lovely scrum madness of scooters.

I'd honestly suggest you have a poke around CA, there's a lot of knowledge and good banter in there, the myths and bullshit get shot down very quickly.

I currently have a former colleagues Yamaha FZR 150 in my garage. He didn't look after it as well as he ought, but, its not in the worst shape. If you've got the time to give it some love, let me know. I'll pass it on for a song.

E: Also yeah, as Akami said the big scooters are very worthy of consideration, they hit most ranges 155, 180, 300, 550, 650, 850 etc. Do not underestimate the riding position of a sports/supersports. If you wanna do a lot of long trips, I'd seriously consider the s-max and t-max ranges.

How does the large bike test differ from the small bike/scooter test? Is it possible to use a smaller bike to test, or do they give you a bigger bike to test on? If I could jump on a 250 straight away, I will. That's usually starter bike territory back home; really only looking at the 125s because they're both cheap and ubiquitous it seems. If I can get away with it, I'd like to test at the highest level I can when I do the license, that way I don't have to bother with it again.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
The big bike test requires you to get up to a certain speed in fifth gear and then stop within a certain distance. There are some other basic maneuvers you also have to demonstrate. I think you have to use the bike at the course, but I'm not sure.

Also, I think you have to have the <250cc license for a year before moving up.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

YF19pilot posted:

How does the large bike test differ from the small bike/scooter test? Is it possible to use a smaller bike to test, or do they give you a bigger bike to test on? If I could jump on a 250 straight away, I will. That's usually starter bike territory back home; really only looking at the 125s because they're both cheap and ubiquitous it seems. If I can get away with it, I'd like to test at the highest level I can when I do the license, that way I don't have to bother with it again.

When you're at 7/11 tomorrow, just ask for a free licence with whatever cigarettes/coke/bubble tea you're buying. I think if you get 5 stickers you can pick any licence you want.
If that's not actually the case, colour me loving surprised.

Green plate 50< - used to be no license required , might be written only now - idk
White plate 249< - comedy test, go slow for 7 meters in a straight line, right hand turn, stop at a light
Yellow plate 549< i don't know why you'd take this test
Red - largely the same a s scooter, iirc there's a fairly small circle and the bike is obviously heavier (160-180 kilos - some balance required)

If you take your white plate test on a scooter, I think you have to ride for two years. If you take the test on a heavy bike, then that's reduced to one year.
At least that's what I was told. Eitherway, after time served, you've survived and now you can up the ante and test on a red plate.

You can't test on a pushbike, they'll provide one, or more likely you'll bring yours to test with (ignore the obvious logical dilemma of attending a place to test on a bike you technically don't have a licence for, you'll want your own bike - rather than being all grabby & jittery on some POS with wonky all sorts)
There's a few utubs of the heavy bike red plate tests, one particular favourite is of a teeny tiny mite of woman breezing through it with absolute ease.
(i'll try and dig it up)

None of the tests here are difficult, if you want to pass you'll do a little practice. There's not much in the way of skill required for white plate, yellow plate, red plate, cars, trucks, public service vehicles, hell of late I think 10% of pilots were told their skills weren't quite up to snuff. Testing here seems to be the same as that in schools, do enough to pass and off you go. Real world poo poo like situational awareness, anticipation, good manners, mirrors, indicators, weather effects, common sense, none of it matters a jot, literally do a circle at dead slow without putting a foot down and you're good to go. It's the reason every single intersection, on ramp, off ramp and especially merging lanes results in a huge backup and 30 minutes on your journey.

If you wanna practice, borrow matey's bike that's sitting idle in my garage. If you really want some hand-holding - I'll happily come out with you.

You shouldn't really hurt yourself too badly on a 150, and even if you're fairly tanking it on a 250 you should come out all right in most cases. The first couple of weeks you should be nervous enough and just learning the new braking distances and gauging the radius of danger/how far ahead/behind you need to be looking. After that, you'll open up the throttle, because - gently caress it - that's why you bought it. Top speed on a well kept 250 is gonna be in the 130-155 km/h range, maybe 160 if you're really wringing it, fully tucked in, didn't eat for a week and you're only wearing a cock sock. Provisio on the "you wont get hurt" get the loving gear! helmet & jacket are minimum, kevlar jeans (fancy), knuckle dusters carbon fibre gloves, and boots can all wait. Get second hand gear (not helmet), you might decide you don't actually want the bike after a month.

It's kinda popular these days to just get the armour webbing, I'm totally down with that - it is a lot cheaper, and if you don't mind looking like a teenage mutant ninja turtle, you're golden and you wont be pissing sweat the way I do. Personally, I've hit the deck a few times here (5 times in 3.5 years), and the leather/helmet a) saved my life b) covered bits that armour doesn't - this means that you're only nursing the broken bits - road rash on top of that poo poo is just a chore.

You'll will hit the deck - it's just a matter of how soon, and how hard. (dress for the slide, not for the ride etc etc etc)
^^I posted that after my most recent spill, there's sensible analysis and advice in the following comments.

I'll spam the post I made eons ago, at some point I'll add the above, duckfarts, and mine into a scooter FAQ:

url posted:

A regular straight-off-the-lot Jockey V2 will set you back 48-49,000 (add another 4K for a credit card instalment payment plan).

There are a myriad of scooters on the road and I forget the names of them all, but iirc the Kymco range is:

50cc = I think these are called Super. As far as I can tell, people treat these like the Walmart electric mobility scooters.

These really are simply a waste of money. If you need to carry and more than a sandwich, you will slow down.
Hell, a decent lunch will slow you down. You'll struggle across the bridges with a steep incline (any of the older bridges in the city).

100cc = Jog
I think there is a tweaked out version of the jog; I assume it is called G5 or similar.
Again, yeah - you could get one, but pfft, waste of time.
In essence, the engine size is only one part of the cost. You pay for a chassis, engine, brakes, the outer body, seat, lights, etc.
You don't actually save a great deal of cash buying a smaller engine. So don't.
The bang:buck ratio is no good below 125 - Do an Excel sheet for it.

125cc = Jockey V2 vs G6

This is where bikes start. Either is good, the more expensive one is better. (seems obvious right)

150cc = Racing vs Quananon

The limited edition Kymco "bumble bee" Racing 150 set me back 70 off-the-lot with free fancy adjustable brake levers (not pictured, but, actually quite nice and cost 2K to buy separately).
It should be cheaper now, and you're not limited to the gaudy yellow I had, gaudy orange is also available, blue, black, and horrible white are options too.
These have nice digital displays. When you hit 50/60 odd, they have a little picture of a cheetah/or panther or some kind of fast cat on the display. It's quite cute really.

As regards second hand, I would suggest you pick up something with less than 10-15K on the clock, and you should walk away with change from 55K.
Get it serviced immediately and regularly. Replace the tyres (800 for regular/ 1K for the better ones).
gently caress Ruten & private sales. Get it from a Kymco dealer, be nice to the guy, you're going to want to be seeing him every 500/1000KM.
There isn't alot to be negotiated. The Kymco places are run from large central dealers, and their pricing is extremely competitive.
You might score a helmet, brake levers, or something. Personally, I'd say, pay the asking and just get the service done in front of you instead (as above, oil, oil filter, hydraulic fluids, brake tightening, brake pad cleaning/replacing, new tyres).

The quananon is a gently caress-up, by almost all metrics. It has all the downsides of a sports bike and, none of the sports! :suicide:
It's as heavy as a sports bike, yet it has exactly half the engine! It has the maneuverability of a sports bike (larger turning circle, longer stopping(weight))
You can't carry anything larger than a sandwich (you could possibly fit a 6" sub in the seat, but it's a squeeze).
The only use case is "I want to learn to ride a sports bike; I want to be forced to sit in an uncomfortable, aggressive posture that is hard on my lower back, neck and wrists while I accelerate quite slowly." :v: Yeah, don't.
(If you want just want gears, do a hartford or similar. If you want sports go to AI or #bieks and ask there.)

So basically, in each category, there is both a regular and a "racing" model.
Typically, the racing model will have more angular lines, far far superior brakes, and generally handle a whole lot better.

SYM, largely do the literally the same thing for almost exactly the same prices.

Having done a regular and a racing model, I'd honestly say it's worth the extra price, but, that is because I was commuting 45 mins, everyday, each-way. That's alot of traffic. A lot of Taiwanese traffic.
As such, I emphasize the braking for a good reason....some fucker up front will change lanes, he'll indicate exactly at the moment he does it, the 5 scooters immediately behind him and in the lane he is changing into may or may not weave around him at a death-defy cat-like seemingly-impossible lightning-speed (You too will have this skill within a few months - not by choice, an innate self-preserving instinct will just kick in). Now, since you are not insane, you have been going at a reasonable pace will probably decide just to slow down a bit, however, you might now find yourself without any loving traction because the surface of the road is lovely with betel-nut, dirt, sooty exhaust slime, and it's probably raining to boot; welcome to the world of trying to control a 5M slide. It's an almost daily occurrence, and with that in mind, the better brakes are absolutely loving lovely, if not actual life savers. (Protip: let off the brakes, regain some traction, then brake again, do this very quickly.)

If you're looking for fun, look at the Yamaha's (BWS), they're marketed as being off-road, but lol. They're quicker because a) Yamaha put effort into the engine, and b) they don't have as much body weight to carry (no storage compartment under the seat etc). They're easily the quickest off the line of all the scooters I've seen, they have a shorter wheelbase (i think) and they definitely handle like hot oil in good hands.

The little vespa type have been gaining alot of popularity. I think they are marketed for girls, but they're pretty nippy and the handle really well.
I don't have any experience of them beyond what I see every day.

GET A PROPER HELMET, and leave your lights on!

You will be putting it down, I assure you - it's purely a matter of how often and how hard.
(Skill vs. law of averages)

:effort:

url fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Apr 30, 2015

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Just get a CUXI like me and be a cool guy.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I will always love that SYM tried to expand into Southeast Asia but couldn't shift scooters in Vietnam because the Vietnamese, like everywhere that isn't Taiwan or Italy, consider scooters for babymen and sissies. They had to resort to selling *gasp* actual motorcycles.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Just take the bus. You'll be the only white guy on the bus. Unless you're on the same bus as me. Then we'll be the only two white guys on the bus.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

quadrophrenic posted:

Just take the bus. You'll be the only white guy on the bus. Unless you're on the same bus as me. Then we'll be the only two white guys on the bus.
shut up that's my gig don't you come making GBS threads in my backyard motherfucker. you keep your bus-riding cracker rear end in New Taipei.

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE

TetsuoTW posted:

I will always love that SYM tried to expand into Southeast Asia but couldn't shift scooters in Vietnam because the Vietnamese, like everywhere that isn't Taiwan or Italy, consider scooters for babymen and sissies. They had to resort to selling *gasp* actual motorcycles.

Wait what really? When I was in Vietnam a few years ago there were tons of scooters. They were packed in just as dense as Taiwan.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I just looked up the thing I was remembering, and it was Indonesia, not Vietnam, my bad.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

quadrophrenic posted:

Where I live I would still need a scooter to get me to the bus stop. We don't have fancy bus-stops in every home and a turkey in every 7-11 here in Chiayi like they do up in Taipei. Anyways, thanks for the advice, might be a good idea if that can get plugged into the OP somewhere. For now I'm tooling around on an old Kymco Jockey 125 (it's not even a V1 or V2, just a Jockey). A friend of a friend might have a motorcycle for sale, too. I"ll look around, because that sounds like the way to go. Not that I want a super big bike, but I would like a 250~300 eventually.

Also, an actual thing said today during my Chinese class this morning: "Republic of China? Taiwan isn't China. Why does Taiwan have another country's name?"

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

YF19pilot posted:

Also, an actual thing said today during my Chinese class this morning: "Republic of China? Taiwan isn't China. Why does Taiwan have another country's name?"
That's a man or woman after my own heart right there.
Also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mH5xHZzbm4

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

TetsuoTW posted:

I just looked up the thing I was remembering, and it was Indonesia, not Vietnam, my bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sOu05pCZgk

I'm tempted to say they should have stuck with the scooters.
The fairing weigh more than the bikes I think.

At least they're having a ball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

YF19pilot posted:

and a turkey in every 7-11 here in Chiayi

I heard turkey was kind of Chiayi's thing tho