Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
A butler and a nun.

Reading the character design notes has already made me feel sorry for humanity, and now there's a butler and a nun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Glazius posted:

A butler and a nun.

If it was divorced from everything else this actually sounds like a game I would like, in crude concept anyway.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

A butler, a nun and a racist walk into a warzone...

Thundersword238
Oct 15, 2012

So now that her missions are done, I want to talk about Alexis. Alexis is my favorite character in the game, and honestly one of my favorite female characters in video games/anime period. And part of that reason is that unlike tons of other characters like her, who's story revolve around "was raised as a boy but secretly wants to be a girly girl," Alexis is totally alright with being a super manly lady. And that's pretty cool.

I honestly can't name a ton of female characters who are androgynous or masculine for their own sake. Alexis' problems don't stem from wanting to be a girl, but from other people's perceptions of her being a girl, and honestly, I can really, REALLY relate to that. I've never been traditionally masculine, and in particular it made most of middle school a living hell for me. So I've always liked characters who subvert traditional gender roles, but I find in a lot of media, especially anime, they have to secretly want to be how society tells tells them they should be. So when Alexis' story ended with "I am happy the way I am" it made me really happy.

Also she tanked a fully charged energy cannon from a V2, at point blank range, and walked it off with 2/3rds of her health. Which pretty much cemented her as my favorite character in this game, and honestly, the series.

One more thing I noticed while reading through her update: Avan of all people, is the only main character I can think of who doesn't ask the super tomboy to be more girly. Think about that for a second. Avan is the one character in anime who is totally ok with a girl acting like a man. AVAN. I mean seriously, that's rare, even for shoujo anime.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Okay, what is your deal.

Avan, is it? I have no need for such a "feel." My time here is fleeting. I am a prophet. Once I fulfill my role as His mouthpiece, I will leave.
Prophet what? His who? Um... huh?

...Why can't I have someone normal, not spooky religious nun thingie

Ngah?!
Impudence! You ought not speak of Him so lightly!
One human life is but a mote of dust before Him! I pray your aura will not show death's color... Take heed and repent! *leaves*

You're telling me.

So I'm going to buy that barrage artillery cannon that was available a while back.

Turns out, it's definitely not worth 4 CP if it's going to do regular tank damage without blue spot upside.

Mischlitt Quest 1

Please. That test was a joke.
Must be nice being smart. You've got to be the top of the class, yeah?
Not with Mischlitt around. She's like a machine.
Wait, the Mischlitt in our class? I didn't know she was that smart.
Oh yeah. And she's not just "smart." She's one of those super genius types.

What's that shouting? It's coming from back in the gym.

*Avan and Zeri run to the scene*

You should stay in your little corner with the other dark-hairs!
Um...
Yeah! It's bad enough we have to smell you people around campus. Then you go and show off and bring the rest of us real Gallians down?!
Hey! What do you guys think you're doing?!
Tch, let's go.

*Both students run away*

You okay, Mischlitt?
It isn't a problem.
Why didn't you stand up to them? That was petty, groundless slander.
Darcsens do not retaliate. You ought to know that.
So letting people like that browbeat you is your idea of pride? Please. It's because so many Darcsens are like you that we're still...
Ugh, I've had enough. I'm going, Avon. *leaves*

It stems from the Darcsen Calamity. We're said to have ravaged all Europa. Yet there exists not a shred of proof to back it up. It's a myth. Archduchess Cordelia's confession proved that beyond a doubt.
Well if it's wrong, why don't you guys teIl people about it? Don't you think that might cut down on the prejudice some?
That will never happen. If we confront them with the truth, they accuse us of lying. The wall dividing Darcsens and the other races is too high to overcome.
Aw, I don't think that's true. And lots of people aren't prejudiced. I'm--
You would not make such a claim if you yourself were a Darcsen. *leaves*

I still can't get over that it's a racial trait to be passive. Zeri's minor goals seem to be changing the attitude of this as well.

Raymond Quest 2

*further into the office*

We had this chat before, Mr. Moen. You owe it to yourself to switch. You've been blessed with a gift in that Physique, and it's going to waste.
Y-Yes, sir. B-But I really don't...
Yes, you've made your preferences clear. But as much as it pains me to say, you just aren't a very good engineer. I hear you're not even able to apply a bandage properly, Raymond.
Um...
As a lancer or armored tech, you would be playing to your strengths. Now, forget about this silly engineer business already. Am I understood?

Whoa whoa wait, others can change classes?! RAYMOND, SHOCKTROOPER NOW

I-I...Sir, I...
I have to go, excuse me! *runs away*
He looked like he had something to tell that professor. Uh oh, he left his bag. I should get it to him.

*Avan drops bag*

Gah, that's heavy! I must have spilled half of what's in here.
Wait, are all these...? I didn't know this many engineering books even existed! ...Poor guy.

*Raymond stands on the roof*

There you are! Man, for such a big guy, you can be hard to find, Raymond.
A-Avan? D-Did you need something from me?
Nope. I was in the faculty office and saw that you'd left your bag.
O-Oh, I didn't notice...
Do you always haul all these books around? You must be studying hard.
I-I always looked up to medics and engineers who help people in the field. S-So I was really happy when I got here and was selected as an engineer.
You don't want to change unit classes, do you? Then you should say so!
Y-You heard that, Avon? Then you know what the professor said...
What, that bit about you not being a good engineer?
Y-Yeah, I'm no good with finesse. I have trouble applying bandages, and I break the little medicine vials...I-I'm more likely to hurt someone out there than to help them. It would k-kill me if that ever happened, so I should... Ugh.

See, this is why you should be a Shocktrooper. I got this shiny machine gun aaaallll for you, man!

Goddamnit Avan, no.

Th-Thanks for listening to me, Avon. I should g-get going though. *leaves*
Man, I wish there were a way I could give that guy some confidence.

gently caress you. Tell Raymond that he can help prevent future injuries by killing all the rebels faster with a machine gun. Or a rocket launcher. :argh:

Lotte Quest 3

Ahhhhhh....just deep breaths. One last time, and it's all over. Just...get it over with.

It's just you, me and Lanseal's old campus, chief!
Um, remind me why we're dressed like this?
Dude, we went over this like twelve times on the way here!
This is the most dangerous of all of Lanseal's Wonders. And I won't be held liable for your grisly death due to lack of preparation!
Wait, you told me any of this WHEN?
Ugh, fine. So. what's the big. scary mystery here?

Wailing? Like a moan?
Yeah, if by that you mean a cry dripping in anguish never experienced by man.
My journalist senses tell me this one's gonna be the scoop of the century! Let's head in, dude!

*The two enter the castle*

Eeagh, it's spooky. Just the sort of spot you'd expect to be haunted.

*noise heard*

Augh?!
GyaAaAH?!
Ch-Ch-Chief! Y-Y-You heard that just now, r-r-right?!
Yeah, I did. Let's keep going and see what we--

Ah! I know you!
drat straight, you do! Your stupid expose ruined my rep on campus! Do you have any idea how bad my advisor chewed me out?!
Hey, that's your own dumb fault, dude! If you don't want to get busted for extorting your classmates, don't do it!
Ugh, and here I planned to let you so after I got a tearful apology!

*takes her camera*

Hey! Dude, what gives? Gimme back my camera!
Hmph, maybe this'll teach you to keep your nose out of other folks' business! *runs away*
He's headed outside! You have to help me set my camera back, chief!
Right. Let's go, Lotte!

DON'T CARE, LET'S DO THIS ASAP

FUUUUUCK

DONE. OVER WITH.

Not so fast, dude! Ah-HAA! *jumps on him*

Now, time for an on-the-spot interview! What were you doing in there?
I-I just tagged along! It was all his idea!
To do what?
He dragged us down there to ambush you when you got there.
But how would he know she'd come way out here?
He started the ghost rumor. He figured that'd get you out here alone. Now come on, I told you what you wanted to know! Let me go already!
Not likely, dude! I've got a whole mountain of questions for you!
What?! Oooooh! Let me gooooo!

*time passes*

Is this fun for you? Even when everything goes wrong every time?
What, you didn't have any fun, chief?
I didn't say that. It's just... I dunno. It feels like a lot of running around for not a lot of payoff.
Well, sure, there are stories that don't pan out the way you'd like. But that's the shape of the truth, isn't it? Not always so glamorous. You ever heard of Irene Ellet, chief?

I know that VC2's been linking certain classmates to previous VC1 characters, like Vario with Rosie but...Irene is cool and Lotte is anything but.

Ellet? ...No. Don't think so, anyway.
She's a radio journalist and the person I respect most in the world. During the war with the Empire, the government censored all the news. So this rookie journalist starts posting up her own paper on an alley wall. She knew Gallians needed to hear the truth, even when it hurt.
Wow. That must've taken some serious guts.
Heh heh, yeah. That's the kind of reporter I want to be. So I've promised myself to track down the truth, no matter what the cost.
Well, that explains why you go off on all those crazy assignments.

What, NOW?! Lotte, I'm pretty bushed!
Suck it up, dude! The news is printed in blood, sweat, and tears! Next up is the mysterious hooded gnome of the old campus! Let's get going!
Oh man...

Truth Seeker- Strong volition to search for the truth lets them move again.

GET OFF MY TEAM

Lotte Art pages

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Ah yes, when I think of a "outsider perspective" (third party perspective? who translated this poo poo) I don't think of the foreigner, the hick, the minority or cavewoman; I think of the girl who ineptly runs the student paper.

It's sorta amazing how each of those insights into the minds of the creators leaves you full of contempt for them in new and interesting ways really.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
It's amazing that it's the same shithead classmate showing up to gently caress with your guys 90% of the time.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

paragon1 posted:

It's amazing that it's the same shithead classmate showing up to gently caress with your guys 90% of the time.

That's just one of 3 generic student heads, although in this case it might be literally that specific head's body.

This artbook has some dumber stuff than you think.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

quote:

It might be just a coincidence, but all the female characters selected for this extra bonus are all... slender of figure.
:stare: Did the author need to make a point about how all the women shown here don't have large breasts?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

quote:

So letting people like that browbeat you is your idea of pride? Please. It's because so many Darcsens are like you that we're still...
Ugh, I've had enough. I'm going, Avon. *leaves*

Zeri you piece of poo poo that was the exact opposite of what you were saying before! :argh:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Mmm....Zeri's been pretty consistent in being annoyed at Darcens being super passive.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Tae posted:

That's just one of 3 generic student heads, although in this case it might be literally that specific head's body.

This artbook has some dumber stuff than you think.

I can at least marginally respect this for being equal-opportunity skeeviness.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Thundersword238 posted:

So now that her missions are done, I want to talk about Alexis. Alexis is my favorite character in the game, and honestly one of my favorite female characters in video games/anime period. And part of that reason is that unlike tons of other characters like her, who's story revolve around "was raised as a boy but secretly wants to be a girly girl," Alexis is totally alright with being a super manly lady. And that's pretty cool.

I honestly can't name a ton of female characters who are androgynous or masculine for their own sake. Alexis' problems don't stem from wanting to be a girl, but from other people's perceptions of her being a girl, and honestly, I can really, REALLY relate to that. I've never been traditionally masculine, and in particular it made most of middle school a living hell for me. So I've always liked characters who subvert traditional gender roles, but I find in a lot of media, especially anime, they have to secretly want to be how society tells tells them they should be. So when Alexis' story ended with "I am happy the way I am" it made me really happy.

Also she tanked a fully charged energy cannon from a V2, at point blank range, and walked it off with 2/3rds of her health. Which pretty much cemented her as my favorite character in this game, and honestly, the series.

One more thing I noticed while reading through her update: Avan of all people, is the only main character I can think of who doesn't ask the super tomboy to be more girly. Think about that for a second. Avan is the one character in anime who is totally ok with a girl acting like a man. AVAN. I mean seriously, that's rare, even for shoujo anime.

Robin and Chrom in Fire Emblem Awakening are pretty cool with Sully being much more about punching and stabbing than cooking and cleaning. Chrom outright says that it just means they'll have more in common than most couples.

Sully does have self-doubt bits in several supports, but the conclusion is always "Sully, keep on keeping on. You're fine the way you are."

Cuveball Sliders
Oct 9, 2007

Tae posted:

Also why the gently caress are they hunting for sport instead of getting ready for another assault to win the war...?

This is the one thing in this terrible game that makes sense. History is full of people who missed significant chances because they went hunting or chose to relax instead of being responsible. In the American Civil War at the key battle of Five Forks, Confederate general Picket was picnicking when the Federals attacked his position resulting in his men being routed and leaderless. That was a professional soldier, not a privileged noble.

Cuveball Sliders fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Apr 28, 2015

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Tae posted:

Mmm....Zeri's been pretty consistent in being annoyed at Darcens being super passive.
Zeri has a valid point and it always annoys me when Ghandi style passive resistance or 'no retaliation' is coupled next to things like genocide. It smacks of 'assisted suicide' and I find such things intolerably stupid.
On the other hand it's kind of messed up for Darcsen to be brought up and taught to be passive but that goes to show how ingrained the problem is on both sides.

I find Mischlitt tolerable since her book/brain smarts and lack of people skills are just the sort of thing that would realistically land her in Class G and that a person like Avan would actually fix with his 'stupid yet earnest' methods.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Passive resistance has always sort of relied on your opponent being capable of being shamed by the international community and the rest of their country. When you're up against Hitler, passive resistance isn't going to work.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Night10194 posted:

Passive resistance has always sort of relied on your opponent being capable of being shamed by the international community and the rest of their country. When you're up against Hitler, passive resistance isn't going to work.

It's not just one hitler, its at least three countries full of mini-hitlers. Hell, from the way everyone treats Darcsens, I wouldn't put it past normal civilians being perfectly ok with forming a mob and lynching them over a propagated lie that has never had any proof behind it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
It's not like everyone in WW2-era Europe or the USA loved jewish people. That wasn't the main reason the war was fought: most people just didn't want to get conquered by Germany. Gallia has some tolerant people and some horrible bigots who thought maybe Hitler wasn't entirely wrong, just like a bunch of people in real life.

In terms of the US Civil war analogy, lynchings happened in the North as well. It's never been a pure matter of racists versus non-racists.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

McFetusBurger posted:

This is the one thing in this terrible game that makes sense. History is full of people who missed significant chances because they went hunting or chose to relax instead of being responsible. In the American Civil War at the key battle of Five Forks, Confederate general Picket was picnicking when the Federals attacked his position resulting in his men being routed and leaderless. That was a professional soldier, not a privileged noble.

Also D-day famously. Hitler was was sleeping and Rommel was at a birthday party. What makes it ironic is that Rommel even coined the term "the longest day" to describe how important the first hours of the invasion would be, and then didn't show up until the evening when it finally happened.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

BioMe posted:

Also D-day famously. Hitler was was sleeping and Rommel was at a birthday party. What makes it ironic is that Rommel even coined the term "the longest day" to describe how important the first hours of the invasion would be, and then didn't show up until the evening when it finally happened.

It's kind of darkly ironic how much important moments in warfare were made on one or both sides being lazy, incompetent, or absent. Imagining that all their planning and preparation might have been for nothing if the opposition had just been present.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Clarste posted:

It's not like everyone in WW2-era Europe or the USA loved jewish people. That wasn't the main reason the war was fought: most people just didn't want to get conquered by Germany. Gallia has some tolerant people and some horrible bigots who thought maybe Hitler wasn't entirely wrong, just like a bunch of people in real life.

In terms of the US Civil war analogy, lynchings happened in the North as well. It's never been a pure matter of racists versus non-racists.

The best way I've seen it put was that in the South, it was a matter of law that blacks couldn't do certain things and wouldn't be safe in certain contexts. In the North it was simply a matter of tradition instead.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Whoa sorry I'm late -

Poil posted:

I don't suppose the butler is going to bust out some monomolecular wires in combat? :v:

no he's gonna clean house

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Melissa Quest 1

So...Melissa has a thing if you haven't figured it out yet.

Avon, mind your manners. Talking or eating, pick one and stick with it.
Ah ha ha!
Mm? Leaving already, Zeri?
There's a book I wanted to set at the campus store. *leaves*
Okay, we'll see you back in class, then!

Whenever you choose Melissa during battle....

Hee hee...
Is something wrong?
What? Oh, no. Just saw someone standing there. Was that...?

*Melissa phases out*

She goes "Just me and Zeri", "Any girl near Zeri is a threat", "Just for Zeri", "Zeri, I'll be watching you from the shadows."

SHE'S A GODDAMN STALKER

What? Whoa, you're right. That was weird.
Hee hee! Your mind's playing tricks on you. We should probably head out, too. Don't want to be late for class! *leaves*
Mm? Oh, right... But you're sure you didn't see anybody?

Ha ha! Fifty laps around the grounds is tough.
Aw, come on, guys! I got another five laps in me, eas-- Nh?

Wha--?
What's the matter, Avon? Brain finally give out on you?
Z-Zeri! There! Her! Look, that's her!

*Melissa phases out*

There's no one here, Avon.
Huh?! But when did...?
What was that about not being tired? You dreaming of a girl in here?
What?! No! She was really there just a second ago!
It's Melissa, from our class. I'm sure of it. But why was she here?
Rrgh. I'll set her to fess up next time I catch her!

...This is gonna be a fun quest, huh?

You there. Is this photo yours?
G-General Baldren, sir?! Y-Yes, it is! Thank you!
That's Berthol, isn't it? In the east. Is that where you come from?
Yes. sir! But... How do you know about a little town like Berthol?
My mother was fond of travel. I went there with her as a child. Broad seas of wheat, the townsfolk busy at work... A calm, beautiful town.
Thank you, sir! Although the last war took a big toll on the place... Plus, the Archduchess's confession brought in a wave of Darcsen refugees.

The government has ignored all responsibility in the matter and allowed them. House Randgriz plots to turn Gallia into a nation of Darcsens!
That's not... We can't let that happen!
Though blood may flow, this revolution must succeed to save Gallia!
I'm ready to risk my life for the cause, sir!
You're a credit to your nation. We'll defend it together!

So that's a sample of the speeches that recruit soldiers into the rebel army. A slice of "TAKE OUR JOBS" and hyperbole on Gallia becoming Darcsen land.

Vario Quest 3

The rebels have been testing a new weapon out in some farmland. The fields and villages around it are all taking huge collateral damage.
Ugh, all right. I'll be ready as soon as I can!
That's not all. Multiple tanks have been sighted. Combat may drag out. This one's going to hurt. We need to go into it ready for the worst.
Thanks for the warning. I'll keep that in mind.
Um...
It's weird when you're quiet, Vario. You've been down for a while now.
Yeah. I'm riding a massive spiral of self-doubt, cat.
Why don't you come along with us today? You're grating, but you have a way of keeping morale up at least.

Out of all the people, Vario is the one person that Avan actively says "You're annoying as poo poo." You keep us moving.

Heh... I guess there's no rest for the weary. It's tough being a star.
All right, I'm there. I can't let my fans down!
Then let's get ready to move out!

I have no idea why this mission is relatively serious in its title, compared to "Muddy Battle" or "An Awkward Fight."

It's Arlem hunting mission.

Bleh.

Sir! There were no major injuries, but quite a few people have been hurt.
I see. So how are you guys holding up?
Oof, I'm alive... That was some fight, though.
Yeah... I thought we were goners for a while there.
It was a real reminder that this is a war we're fighting in.

We killed 90% of the rebels in the first 3 turns. We hosed around, crawling in grass to find that last soldier afterwards.

Knowing we'll be going through this a lot is pretty daunting.
Hmm...Not for myself, but for everyone...
What, Vario?
All right, listen up! This next number goes out to all you guys!
What are you doing?
Just for you, baby! Just for all you guys! This one's special. Get ready to swoon, kids! 'Cause here I go!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zt615htz1nE

Wow! I can't remember feeling this pumped from music before!
Yeah. It was intense, but there was something tender in it too.
I don't know much about musicm but it cheered me right up.
For serious?! Did you guys dig it? I knew you would!
Let's settle for "it didn't feel like assault this time." Heh, it was a whole different beast than what I heard before.

It's a shame classmate missions aren't linked, because this singing is the gospel compared to Edy.

Yes! All right, all right! I'm on the ascent! Thank you, Rosie! You brought me one step closer to stardom!
It's your lucky day, kids! 'Cause here comes the encore!
Aaaagh! It's back to assault!

Vario Art pages

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Vario is absurd enough I can't help but love him.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I actually like Melissa's fourth-wall lean-in. It's a neat little way to show she's sneaking about with basic Visual Novel portraits.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

Pureauthor posted:

Vario is absurd enough I can't help but love him.

Same here. His voice actor does wonders for him, dude is so happy hamming the gently caress up you can't help but enjoy him a little bit. He just believes the stupid poo poo he says with so much heart it loops all the way back into endearing. "It ain't right how hot I am." "You're gonna swoon baby! WOOOOOOO!" He seriously woos like Ric loving Flair.

Plus there's something amazing about his first few events, when Avan listens to him singing, backs down, goes "...Wonder if he heard me coming in and was offended" enters again, and the first thing you hear is him screaming THERE'S NO STOPPING THERE'S NO STOPPING ME and it's great.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Tae posted:

We killed 90% of the rebels in the first 3 turns. We hosed around, crawling in grass to find that last soldier afterwards.

Remember that order to scout a map you made fun of earlier? ;-)

Thundersword238
Oct 15, 2012

Vario is basically Space Dandy, and I love him for it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

OddObserver posted:

Remember that order to scout a map you made fun of earlier? ;-)

I did use it. It was literally the last map I recon-ed (3 turns in a row), but at that point I ran out of CP to reach and kill it.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
So, that's, what, two character descriptions in a row which were "we wanted to link [previous game character] to this one, so we did it in the most stupid and roundabout way possible." It's remarkable when even the developers admit their own characters are completely pointless outside of being vehicles for one tiny, optional and insignificant scene.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
You know, the rebels do have a fair point (if their telling the truth): Gallia is already battered from the war, and taking care of thousands of migrants fleeing certain-death in the Empire might be logistically impossible to do without putting major strain on an already over stressed populace...and the idea of being turned into a second class citizen in your own country, after fighting on behalf of those very same people, must be very unnerving. It's not an unjustified fear either, because the Darcsen's are themselves second class citizens, and the people of Gallia know things could be flipped around rather easily with enough Darcsens. And what are the Darcsens going to do to prove otherwise? Hand out cinnamon rolls? I'm sure those would make up for everything.

Worse, when one considers that the circumstances the resulted in the formation of modern Israel also began with a massive influx of Jews into the Middle East after WW2, well...going from majority to minority is very possible, and always costly for the latter.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
No, "I'm worried about a bunch of avowed pacifists murdering me because me and mine spent thousands of years murdering them over nothing, so let's murder them first and overthrow the government!" isn't really a fair point.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

thetruegentleman posted:

You know, the rebels do have a fair point (if their telling the truth): Gallia is already battered from the war, and taking care of thousands of migrants fleeing certain-death in the Empire might be logistically impossible to do without putting major strain on an already over stressed populace...and the idea of being turned into a second class citizen in your own country, after fighting on behalf of those very same people, must be very unnerving. It's not an unjustified fear either, because the Darcsen's are themselves second class citizens, and the people of Gallia know things could be flipped around rather easily with enough Darcsens. And what are the Darcsens going to do to prove otherwise? Hand out cinnamon rolls? I'm sure those would make up for everything.

Worse, when one considers that the circumstances the resulted in the formation of modern Israel also began with a massive influx of Jews into the Middle East after WW2, well...going from majority to minority is very possible, and always costly for the latter.

Of cpurse even if Baldren wasnt racist he is still an absolute monarchist which Cordelia is not going to like. He hated the Gallian generals and nobility who would toss Gallian lives away and wanted a Gallia with an absolute monarchy.

[modedit: C'mon man, the goddamn page you linked even says "significant spoilers"!]

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Apr 28, 2015

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

quote:

Spoiler Policy
Don't spoil the plot. Does that really require more than a sentence?

Dude, you've been doing that since the thread started.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Magari Quest 3

...I see. What could Mr. Gunther have possibly meant? The cerulean scarab's migratory patterns are contained to the Empire. Anyone with the slightest knowledge of the species would know that.

Search me. All I know is that if he says he'll show us something, he will.
I'll let him know we're headed out that way. You get ready to march!
...Understood.

So here's a very simple mission: Get Magari to the orange spot in a small map. The trick is to cross your fingers and hope Magari's stupid Potential doesn't trigger and end her turn prematurely.

Shortest, yet most tense 2 turns ever.

Hey there, Welkin! You beat us here.
Just what do you intend to show us? The cerulean scarab is...
Now, now. Just take a look at the trunk of that tree.

That's the theory, anyway. Keep watching.
Ah! Its coloration is slowly changing! This is... Now it looks just like a viridian scarab!
Okay, I'm lost. Somebody fill me in?
In addition to being a migratory period, this is their mating season. Their diet is mostly oak, so they stop by this oak heavy forest for a time. Once they get enough sustenance to breed, they change color.
By the time they return to the Empire to spawn, their color has reverted. So the color change led people to mistake them for a different species?
Exactly. Nice Job!

Oh, I did a lot of biology fieldwork during my university days. So, Magari. What do you think, after seeing this?
...I'm surprised. It was so much prettier in person.
That's good to hear. I think it's great that you read so much. But the world is full of things you have to see to believe. Just like this scarab.
Yes, sir.

Then you can take that knowledge and write books of your own to pass it on. Just like the people who wrote those books you read did before you.
Yes, sir!
Yeah, he's right! You've got to see the world for yourself!
Avan, that doesn't mean it's all right never to crack a book. You need to write your assignments yourself.
Ugh, you heard that whole conversation?!
Um... Would you mind teaching me more of what you've learned sometime?
Not at all, Magari. You can pay me a visit at any time.

That was a pretty boring, longated way of telling Magari to get outside more. Low-key would be the best way to put it.

Also, her evasion-lowering Potential was replaced with a accuracy-raising Potential. You know, NOT THE ONE THAT ENDS HER TURN. Ugh.

Finally I got a breather and did a key mission, which is...finding boxes.

Back on track after that last disaster of finding boxes.

Eh, might as well finish another classmate mission since Magari was so...nothing.

Coleen Quest 3

I think I'm ready to tell my crush how I feel.
But I'm still feeling scared, so... I just really need some help.
So, you... decided you want to hunt down some moonglow?
Right. I've promised myself I'll tell him once I've found it.
I think that's great. I'm so proud of you!
Yeah, I'm down. If it's what you want to do, we're here to help!
They say the moonglow grows out in the Daws Desert... And that it only blooms at night.
Wasn't there a patrol mission around there on Class G's list? We can work that patrol and go flower hunting while we're there.
I'm sure we'll find it, Coleen. We just have to!
Thanks, Cosette. I really do feel like I have to find some!
Yeah, I kind of feel like I have to, too. Heh. So let's go get it done!

...Is this seriously another small map/objective escort mission?

Only thing to mention is that APC's are hilariously awful at surviving a strong wind, as Avan destroys two APCs easily.

Otherwise yeah, it's just a desert version of Magari's mission.

Yeah. And the sandstorm is picking up.
Um...
C'mon, Coleen. It's dangerous to stay out here. Let's head back.
We'll come back again when the weather is better. Okay?
No.

I have to find it. *runs ahead*
Coleen, wait!

*Coleen tripped*

Coleen! Are you all right?!
*slowly gets up* I... I need him to know. How much he means to me. How much I need him...

Whoah, girl. Calm down.

Coleen...
Even if he says no. Even if he hates me... I want him to know....This must be how all of those other guys felt when they came to me. And I just shrugged them all off... I feel terrible.
Hey! There's a flower over there!

Yeah! You found one! Nice work, Coleen!
I don't think I've ever seen you that driven. You must really like this guy. With that kind of fire, you won't need a magic flower to win him over.
I agree! When he sees what we just saw, he'll know how lucky he is.

Yep.

What?!
I sprained my leg during combat exercises and he offered to carry me. But he's so small, it was awkward picking me up. People were laughing. But he carried me the whole way, apologizing for embarrassing me.
Wow, pretty smooth work for Morris.
Others said he looked silly, but he was a prince in my eyes. I want him to know that. To know how I feel.
I'm sure he'll feel the same way.
For sure! Go get him, Coleen!

I just realized Coleen also has a Potential that just ends the turn, but at least she replaces her stupid flaw with a...weird Potential. She gets increased anti-armor, but only if she's the first unit of the turn.

Well, useful but we'll never know because she's out of the party. Lesse what's going on there....

We have 2 Shocktroopers, 3 Scouts, 7 Engineers, 5 Armor Techs, and 1 Lancer...who is Noel the Mortarer. And she doesn't have a Certificate to switch to a Lance Vet.

Oh boy.

Magari and Coleen Art Pages

Two female characters without mentioning breasts! The streak is back on!

Tae fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Apr 29, 2015

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Wait wait wait
"Race: Gallian"
:stare:

hello japan have you heard of this thing called "ethnicity"

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Wait wait wait
"Race: Gallian"
:stare:

hello japan have you heard of this thing called "ethnicity"

Actually, that sounds exactly like how :japan: would handle things.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
I love Coleen's classmate mission for farming EXP. Completely ignore Avan and Cosette, just use the 3 moves to have her walk forward and she can destroy each APC with one strike then make it to the end zone in exactly 1 turn.

EDIT: By the way, kind of an aside but is there a reason why the super-nationalistic rebels dress up in Imperial colors?

Hopeford fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Apr 29, 2015

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Tae posted:

Whoah, girl. Calm down.

Coleen...
Even if he says no. Even if he hates me... I want him to know....This must be how all of those other guys felt when they came to me. And I just shrugged them all off... I feel terrible.

I think that's someone else talking.

Also, what's that thing Magari wears in her hair?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Mraagvpeine posted:

I think that's someone else talking.

Also, what's that thing Magari wears in her hair?

Every single Darcsen wears some kind of cloth as racial pride. Magari on her hair ends, Mischlitt's pony tail, Zeri's armband, Isara's poncho, etc.

• Locked thread