Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
I suppose I can understand why some might not enjoy Metroid Prime but as far as I'm concerned it's the best game released for the GameCube and only slightly below Super Metroid in quality. Metroid Prime is like the Dark Souls 2 of Metroid games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
I picked up the metroid prime trilogy when it hit the wii u and I really enjoyed prime. It didn't strike me as the best game ever, but I enjoyed playing it, and will probably go back to 100% it.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I played the living poo poo out of Metroid Fusion and know every nook and cranny of that game. I have never played another Metroid game to any great degree.

Ask me my life story.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
Getting pretty hyped for the new Bonfireside Chat with Vaati this week. Release it already!

Oh wait. Patron early feed. :smug:

AllisonByProxy fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Apr 26, 2015

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
Said episode of Bonfireside Chat, featuring long-requested guest VaatiVidya, just went live. Listen to confirm the following facts: He knows his stuff, and he's super nice. It was a great experience having him on, and I hope everyone enjoys the episode.

http://duckfeed.tv/bonfiresidechat/64

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I always try to get into VaatiVidya's vidyas because they're relevant to my interests but way too much of it seems to be untagged supposition, which is always really frustrating. And this extends to going against what the games explicitly say because the original text in glorious Nippon says something slightly different so the baka gaijin who did the localisation must be wrong.

So now you have things like people going around the internets saying the Cleric Beast was Ludwig with Vaati as the source :mad: I hope you called him on that poo poo goddamnit.

Furthermore

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Akuma posted:

I always try to get into VaatiVidya's vidyas because they're relevant to my interests but way too much of it seems to be untagged supposition, which is always really frustrating. And this extends to going against what the games explicitly say because the original text in glorious Nippon says something slightly different so the baka gaijin who did the localisation must be wrong.

So now you have things like people going around the internets saying the Cleric Beast was Ludwig with Vaati as the source :mad: I hope you called him on that poo poo goddamnit.

Furthermore

I am very mad about lore in videogames.

Mr. Bill
Jan 18, 2007
Bourgeoisie Pig

Akuma posted:

Furthermore

Vaati actually called himself on that in the episode :v:

Also I found it really funny how the first 30 minutes of the episode Gary and Kole had barely detectable slight pauses before they called him "Michael."

INDIGO_CYCLOPS
Mar 3, 2009

Scientists have ascertained that there may be as many as... 24 stars in the cosmos

Song For The Deaf posted:

We're ready to announce the game we're covering on episode 100 of Watch Out for Fireballs!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGM20MejGGg

Special thanks to forums user AllisonByProxy for creating this awesome trailer.

Let me just say, I'm very loving excited guys. Can't believe it's been 100 episodes already.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Akuma posted:

And this extends to going against what the games explicitly say because the original text in glorious Nippon says something slightly different so the baka gaijin who did the localisation must be wrong.
This is actually considered a given in regard to translations in the "real world" - where there is a discrepancy between source and target documents, the source takes precedence, because there's every chance someone screwed up or there's some nuance in the source that didn't quite make the transition.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Akuma posted:

Furthermore

Honestly, I didn't call him on it because I came to the same conclusion on my own. Ludwig made sense and it was unsatisfying for it to be no one like that stupid Bloodstarved Beast. But yeah, he calls himself out.

Where is the source on it not being so? Note, I haven't read the interview in the guide yet.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I'm as willing as anyone to point out when someone is "glorious Nippon"-ing, but this didn't trip any wires for me. It seemed reasonable, even if it's a little on the convenient side. I'm never 100% certain, but all of the points that arose during the episode felt workable.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Thought some of you might enjoy this... The Wizard Jam game jam (a 2 week jam to make games based on Idle Thumbs episode titles... our forums did this not us) is over and some of the results are really great. Just looking through the list of games is entertaining in itself. All "shoot that pizza" games as well as all "cockpit freakout" games are great, as is Introduction To Video Games. There are a ton of other things in there worth checking out. There are over 30 games submitted, and a few people who ran into itchio hitches (episode 208) are still to be added tomorrow.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Akuma posted:

:pwn:

ja2ke posted:

Thought some of you might enjoy this... The Wizard Jam game jam (a 2 week jam to make games based on Idle Thumbs episode titles... our forums did this not us) is over and some of the results are really great.

Dibs on Crazy Crane's Deceit for next year (I don't make videogames, or know how to make videogames, but that is the game I want to play)

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Does the cat of Gary Butterfield Meow on command?! or does he have a library of cat noises handy? It's like, in one of the recent episodes every time he mentions his cat it meows almost on cue.

just something that popped in my mind

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

Does the cat of Gary Butterfield Meow on command?! or does he have a library of cat noises handy? It's like, in one of the recent episodes every time he mentions his cat it meows almost on cue.

just something that popped in my mind

I can pretty consistently get him to talk. He's a chatty boy.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

In my experience cats have an uncanny ability to know exactly when you want them to be quiet and then proceed to be deliberately noisy just to make sure you know who's actually in charge.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I thought Ludwig was the beast as well, I think it's valid speculation, though I'm not a fan of Vaati's videos.

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Damnit, somebody get me a tissue.

Woffle posted:

I can pretty consistently get him to talk. He's a chatty boy.

Rors has to be one of the most well known podcast cats.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

Given the absolutely unexpected takes you (Duckfeed) guys have on most games, really looking forward to seeing how Bad Rats goes.

Yuuuuuuuuup. That wasn't what I expected.

edit: I don't know who the hell said MeUndies wicks poo poo away but they were wrong, says Man Living In Desert Who Bought Podcast Underpants

edit 2/3: you guys should probably read this and watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ApOFe9ODZY

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Apr 28, 2015

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
So what should the Bad Rats-centric podcast Gary and Kole are surely going to start now be called?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

edit: I don't know who the hell said MeUndies wicks poo poo away but they were wrong, says Man Living In Desert Who Bought Podcast Underpants
Sweat. They're supposed to wick sweat away.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

The Vosgian Beast posted:

So what should the Bad Rats-centric podcast Gary and Kole are surely going to start now be called?

Rats Off To Ya!

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary, not only is Review coming back, they've already started shooting season 2. I've got high hopes!

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

HMS Boromir posted:

Gary, not only is Review coming back, they've already started shooting season 2. I've got high hopes!

That's incredible! I know it was in rough shape ratings wise near the end.

Also, I had no idea there'd be a cutting room floor entry for something as new as Bad Rats. Holy cow. "Horse Club." We might have to do a follow up episode.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Woffle posted:

Also, I had no idea there'd be a cutting room floor entry for something as new as Bad Rats. Holy cow. "Horse Club." We might have to do a follow up episode.

Make sure you look at the notes page, for gems like

quote:

Bad Rats uses the RANDOM() function 206+/-2 times, 98 of which are in the rats' physics definitions.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
I've been listening to the WOFF Chocobo's Dungeon Episode while studying and now that exams are over I finally have sometime to say thanks for the episode. I really enjoyed it and between this and Raffaelo's Theme being in Theatrhythm Curtain Call, I've went back to playing this game and I've really been enjoying it so far. And since you mentioned them in the episode:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

So this might be jumping the gun a bit, but Patricia Hernandez is moving to NYC which presumably means Danielle is leaving Thumbs and either she or Patricia will probably be joining Giant Bomb.

Or none of the above. Well, Danielle is probably leaving Thumbs if she's moving.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

The Amnesia episode of Watch Out for Fireballs! just went live. This one was really fun to record, and I hope our enthusiasm comes through.

http://duckfeed.tv/woff/99

Up next is Super Metroid (episode 100!) followed by Katamari Damacy, and then a split episode about Harvest Moon and Sim City (both for SNES).

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Hakkesshu posted:

So this might be jumping the gun a bit, but Patricia Hernandez is moving to NYC which presumably means Danielle is leaving Thumbs and either she or Patricia will probably be joining Giant Bomb.

Or none of the above. Well, Danielle is probably leaving Thumbs if she's moving.

They're probably leaving cause SF is so expensive. RIP Thumbs

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Hakkesshu posted:

Kotaku is in NYC; doesn't Patricia work for them already? Also, it feels weird to speculate about people's lives like this.

edit: While I'm here, I'd like to say that I love Abject Suffering. Based on the pitch, you might expect it to be all about making fun of bad stuff, but they really resist the urge to go all "Angry GameBoy Goblin." The end result is a show that sheds light on weird and interesting games that you'd never hear about otherwise, which is terrific.

I just listened to the episode on Bram Stoker's Dracula for the Sega CD. It's clearly not good, but I love the use of a dynamically scrubbed video stream to do a pre-rendered scrolling background with perspective. The effect works really well; who the hell needs parallax layers?

I'm sure there were other games that used the same technique, but I can't find an implementation that's exactly the same. I guess the arcade version of Killer Instinct did it, but layered with a few other elements.

Shart Carbuncle fucked around with this message at 17:32 on May 1, 2015

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Wikipedia Brown posted:

Kotaku is in NYC; doesn't Patricia work for them already? Also, it feels weird to speculate about people's lives like this.

They already said they're moving due to SF's stupid rent prices. Also it's more speculation re: GB's new hire than it is about their personal circumstances in particular. I think Danielle would be a good fit, not trying to be a creep.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I think people speculate on the new GB hire because they keep bringing it up and have done so for what, almost a year now? And keep saying that it's for a position in GBeast, so any mention of a person moving to new york who is in games journalism, particularly a woman (due to the shitshow after dan got hired) makes folks suspect that they're the new hire.

Also, if folks follow her and she's announcing this sort of thing publicly on twitter, it's not really creepy to make a guess as to why. If Danielle is going too, I'd love to see her be a goofball with Vinny. Alex might go insane though.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I don't think anyone's being creepy, it just felt for me like a funny outgrowth of how I feel so familiar with people from listening to them on podcasts, while to them I'm a stranger or passing acquaintance at best.

If it's true, I'll start consuming Giant Bomb content again.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Are there any other good podcasts like Game Design Roundtable that takes an academic look at games and design? Gamasutra used to have one but it was awkward and not great, I can't stand listening to David Sirlin (he's usually correct but he's such a jerk about everything that it's distracting)

I guess what I'm looking for is another show with hosts that can debate and chat like David, Rob, Jon and Dirk.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
That's been a thing for a long time with celebrities, but the internet lets people get way more personal information than you normally would with them. What a weird age we live in.

Also GB has been pretty great recently. The big live live show live was fantastic and had, among other things, dan playing real life punch out with buttons in his boxing gloves so whenever he punched John drake in the face, it'd register a button press. Drake was not happy with this situation

Vinny drew and Jeff resurrecting Flight Club, with mention that they're going to try doing cross country streaming of that sort of thing, which is GREAT

Also Dave lang, jeff, dan, and "the gooch" trying out various horrific mixtures of foods with nacho cheese mixed in.

Some agdq stuff too with goon Studio living the dream

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 19:00 on May 1, 2015

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Giant Bomb has been doing a lot of great features recently, Metal Gear Scanlon, The Old Games Show, Mario Party, Alt+F1 and the GBeast grew being able to contribute consistent video content have made things a blast. I didn't manage to catch the Big Live Live Show, 8 hours of content is a bit of a wall to get through till the weekend but it'll prolly be good even for background noise.

Unprofessional Fridays has been so inconsistent these days though, the last one I remember really enjoying had the sky-diving/free-falling game Drew played and the disco themed neon coloured first person shooter with the ball you had to catch, they are never bad it's just it's not uncommon for Drew to bring a less interesting game to the table and it's almost always the first or second game shown

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Song For The Deaf posted:

The Amnesia episode of Watch Out for Fireballs! just went live. This one was really fun to record, and I hope our enthusiasm comes through.

http://duckfeed.tv/woff/99

Up next is Super Metroid (episode 100!) followed by Katamari Damacy, and then a split episode about Harvest Moon and Sim City (both for SNES).

I always feel like I missed something with Amnesia: The Dark Descent, because while the first hour or two was really scary, around the time I had to stealth my way through a dungeon, I sort of realized dying was not that big of a deal, that I hadn't seen any other monsters than the ones that were all over the place, and I wasn't very interested in where the story was going, so I stopped.

And then I played Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs and liked it much better all the way through. The way the rest of the internet reacted just seems weird to me.

Hopefully once I listen the whole way through this episode, I'll fully understand what's in play here.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I always feel like I missed something with Amnesia: The Dark Descent, because while the first hour or two was really scary, around the time I had to stealth my way through a dungeon, I sort of realized dying was not that big of a deal, that I hadn't seen any other monsters than the ones that were all over the place, and I wasn't very interested in where the story was going, so I stopped.

And then I played Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs and liked it much better all the way through. The way the rest of the internet reacted just seems weird to me.

Hopefully once I listen the whole way through this episode, I'll fully understand what's in play here.

Don't expect me to say a lot of kind things about Hamnesia: The Pork Descent. I was not very into that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Woffle posted:

Don't expect me to say a lot of kind things about Hamnesia: The Pork Descent. I was not very into that game.

Haha, I could tell. It's cool!

• Locked thread