Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

SaltyJesus posted:

Next time I dump USA maps for balance, you can only have so much (eastern)eurocentrism.
Here's a USA elections/old borders comparison:
Voters in the South in the 2008 election:

North American coastline in the Late Cretaceous:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Overlaid:

Or is that :thejoke:?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

SaltyJesus posted:

Overlaid:

Or is that :thejoke:?
The high cotton production in that area is due to the high quality soil. The high quality soil is due to the immense number of microorganisms that lived in the shallow Cretaceous coasts.
http://www.npr.org/blogs/krulwich/2012/10/02/162163801/obama-s-secret-weapon-in-the-south-small-dead-but-still-kickin

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Germany and Austria have embraced their Nazi heritage I see.

If you had clicked the link you'd found out that grey means it's unclear what party is dominant or there's a special circumstance there.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Carbon dioxide posted:

If you had clicked the link you'd found out that grey means it's unclear what party is dominant or there's a special circumstance there.

If you had read this thread, you'd found out that A Buttery Pastry is usually joking. :v:

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Carbon dioxide posted:

Sure, it's entirely unclear what party is dominant in Bavaria.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Carbon dioxide posted:

In this case, black is the actual color of those parties.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austrian_People%27s_Party
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_Democratic_Union_of_Germany

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

icantfindaname posted:

Riso is literally shaking with rage at the idea of the Musselmen being let into the golden utopia that is Europe

Europe is a white Christian continent, that is where the divide ends.

If he was posting here in the 600s he'd be bitching about Spain being included too.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

HookShot posted:

Europe is a white Christian continent, that is where the divide ends.

If he was posting here in the 600s he'd be bitching about Spain being included too.

Yeah, gently caress you, Albania

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Weren't the futhark largely the latin script adapted to carving rather than penmanship, with a few changes here and there for sounds exclusive to one language or the other?

Soft of. The Latin script and the futhark have a common precursor, the Italic script, which developed into the futhark among North Germanic tribes and the Latin script in Rome. Since the latter was also the script used in the Western Roman Empire and the introduction of Christianity in Western Europe, it eventually came to replace other scripts like the ogham in Ireland and, of course, the futhark.

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?

SaltyJesus posted:

Interesting you say that because I originally found that map through looking for maps for this post:

SaltyJesus posted:

This chat about old East Germany and similarities with Cold War / current East Germany (less densely populated, Slav influenced) reminds me of how these types of "invisible lines persist through centuries.

N.b. I am not making an argument about the validity of elections or what should belong where here, just observing some lines on a map.

If you overlay the borders of the German empire on this map it's eastern border lines up almost perfectly with the orange powiats/counties.

Btw. Polish goons, is this map overstating the extent of Belarusian? I never suspected there were so many speakers in Eastern Poland.

Next time I dump USA maps for balance, you can only have so much (eastern)eurocentrism.

The interesting thing about that Poland map is that when the orange area was a part of Germany, most of the population were ethnic Germans. When that area was given to Poland after World War 2, nearly all of the Germans left and they were replaced with displaced Polish settlers from the eastern part of pre-War Poland that was given to the Soviets.

So people in the formerly "German" part of Poland actually has more recent Eastern Slavic influence than the parts that were actually physically a part of the Russian Empire.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

ChipNDip posted:

The interesting thing about that Poland map is that when the orange area was a part of Germany, most of the population were ethnic Germans. When that area was given to Poland after World War 2, nearly all of the Germans left and they were replaced with displaced Polish settlers from the eastern part of pre-War Poland that was given to the Soviets.

So people in the formerly "German" part of Poland actually has more recent Eastern Slavic influence than the parts that were actually physically a part of the Russian Empire.
The explanation is residual German radiation.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

ChipNDip posted:

[/quote]

Was it just German-built infrastructure that led to the difference then? This rail map from Wikipedia (oh no fishmech gave me his autism) pretty much checks out with that

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
It's like you people never read the thread before where various posters are complaining how Turkey is not Europe.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Turkey is a bird how can a bird be part of a continent. loving euros think they're so smart.

Air pollution (fine particulate matter):

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/health-sapping.html

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Rah! posted:

Turkey is a bird how can a bird be part of a continent. loving euros think they're so smart.

I'm impressed by how the US has managed to really get it down. Does Europe still have it rough because a lot of trucks driven about have laxer emissions standards than in the US?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Nintendo Kid posted:

I'm impressed by how the US has managed to really get it down. Does Europe still have it rough because a lot of trucks driven about have laxer emissions standards than in the US?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Yes and the dense areas of America retain significantly less particulate pollution than similarly dense chunks of Europe, is the point.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

It's cool how you can see some of the major rivers/valleys. The Po Valley is clear as day.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
It should be pointed out that the particulate density in the Arabian and Sahara Deserts are mostly dust and sand, not exhaust emissions.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Nintendo Kid posted:

Yes and the dense areas of America retain significantly less particulate pollution than similarly dense chunks of Europe, is the point.

Even the densely populated areas of america are significantly less dense than europe.,

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Rah! posted:

:cryingscandinavia:

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

SaltyJesus posted:

It's cool how you can see some of the major rivers/valleys. The Po Valley is clear as day.

(work rant warning)

Also, Po Valley is a really nice bowl collecting all emissions. Add frequent atmospheric capping inversions, and you have one of the most polluted regions in Europe.
PM2.5 is not so well captured by satellite products, but the results are quite indicative of the overall levels. One of the main differences between US and EU levels is the wind direction in respect to the pollution source regions: In US the pollution corridor is NS (East Coast), which means that the dominating winds are blowing perpendicular to the emission regions - i.e. most incoming air is relatively clean. In EU instead, the cross-border pollution transfer is a major component, and the local particulate emissions are added to the crap accumulated in more West parts of the subcontinent. Aging of pollution makes also more particulate pollution - e.g. organics change from gas phase to particulate when oxidizing.

This has some interesting policy implications, as e.g. Netherlands own emissions mostly affect the Northern Germany downwind, and their air quality problems are mostly caused by UK and France. Thus when the EU requires the communities to control their air quality issues, the solutions need a little more complex negotiations than in some other places.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Even the densely populated areas of america are significantly less dense than europe.,

Europe as a whole yes, but specific places to specific places, no.

For example England itself and New Jersey are pretty close in density (~1100 people per square mile in England, ~1200 per square mile in New Jersey). Yet England has proportionately much more yellow and orange areas on the map for its size as compared to NJ, despite quite dense population in many parts (some areas as high as 50,000 people per square mile):

What's with the English polluting so disproportionately, for example?

(And heck the clear denser populated areas of Scotland don't pollute nearly as much as similar areas in England at that..) There's clearly a lot more at work here than "density", hell, density alone shouldn't mean vastly increased pollution.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Apr 28, 2015

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
Britain is the Alabama of Europe?

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
IIRC there is a non-insignificant sea spray component to NW European PM10 levels because prevailing winds or something, but I may be misremembering. Air quality often gets dismissed with "well it's not our emissions :mad:" here in the NL so :shrug:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
All the largest cities in the UK have been literally deemed in violation of air pollution standards: http://www.clientearth.org/news/press-releases/supreme-court-rules-uk-government-is-breaking-air-pollution-laws-2170

In more recent news the government has already failed to meet EU demands for 2015 following the 2013 Supreme Court ruling, and there is currently another ongoing trial to make the government accountable: http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/apr/17/air-pollution-quality-laws-uk-government-supreme-court

So the answer seems to be - the UK doesn't give a poo poo about regulations.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

SurgicalOntologist posted:

I see Poland has embraced Taoism.
So that orange blotch on the east side of Poland is Warsaw and environs - what's that blue patch on the west side? Looking at a map it doesn't really correspond to any cities; there's nothing there.

SaltyJesus posted:

Not that the days are so clear in the Po Valley, apparently...

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Looks like Wrocław.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Nintendo Kid posted:

Europe as a whole yes, but specific places to specific places, no.
Maybe looking at things in that resolution doesn't make sense? New Jersey is considerably smaller than the UK, which could mean New Jerseyan air can more readily be mixed with cleaner air from surrounding areas? The massive stretches of densely populated areas in the rest of Europe could likewise make intermixing with cleaner air more difficult.

On the other hand, the UK probably just sucks really bad at combating air pollution like steinrokkan points out. Still an improvement from back during Thatcher's day, when Scandinavian politicians were openly calling their British counterparts shitbags to their face because (the massive) British air pollution all ended up in Scandinavia.

Nintendo Kid posted:

density alone shouldn't mean vastly increased pollution.
Not in a 1:1 relationship perhaps, but they're clearly closely tied together.

I demand an apology. :colbert:

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

steinrokkan posted:

So the answer seems to be - the UK doesn't give a poo poo about regulations.
It's the English way.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Stolen from the chatthread:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

The most anti-racist places. They're clearly searching for the word friend of the family to combat its use.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The most anti-racist places. They're clearly searching for the word friend of the family to combat its use.

Hey if you keep using it, it'll lose it's meaning! :downs:

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Is this with or without a hard r, which is a weird but very delineating distinction

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

How offensive. That is obviously a map of rap aficionado density. They're just looking up lyrics.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I bet they're not even differentiating between sincere and ironic use either.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

why would somebody, racist or not, google the n-word

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

majormonotone posted:

why would somebody, racist or not, google the n-word

Looking up song lyrics or movie lines or the history/controversy behind the word itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

What's their unit of granularity there?