Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

SatansBestBuddy posted:

So has anyone beaten the game yet? Be interested to know how big this game is, at least from a storyline perspective.

As of yet no one has beaten the game to the collective internet's knowledge. Furthest along streamer is in Chapter... I wanna say 8 or 9, not sure, haven't been keeping up with his stream. No sign of being close to the end of the game, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Ometeotl posted:

Yeah and it doesn't change per character, other than for gender, hence the current issue at hand.
drat, I wanted to see Reyn in this.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Butt Ghost posted:

drat, I wanted to see Reyn in this.

The male version of that armor is similarly exposed, if it helps. I think the black strap is above the nipples instead, though. Again, think Kill la Kill Nudist Beach outfit.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Can my Skell wear bras?

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

The Moon Monster posted:

I'm sad that this game doesn't have the future sight thing from Xenoblade, that was a really cool mechanic.

I'm really gonna miss the visions. They were so helpful in keeping party members from getting KO'ed from some random strong attack.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Junkie Disease posted:

Can my Skell wear bras?

That's in the DLC

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Here's some gameplay and the music in it is pretty good (no vocals either, no idea if it has spoilers):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06ZMXPK8M-g

And for those of you complaining about the soundtrack, sure it's not as good as Xenoblade's was but that's a really loving high bar to reach. Just remember it could always be worse.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUjxPj3al5U
:suicide:

Supercar Gautier posted:

Jesus christ, you'd hope (maybe not expect, but HOPE) they would at least keep it in their pants with the 13 year old character.

Gotta have that fanservice :pedo: :japan:

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Apr 28, 2015

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

At a point you need to stop complaining about Sawano and start complaining about the people who told him what kind of music they wanted and signed off on what he gave them. There is some really poor usage of music in this game that is definitely not his fault.

Like hey maybe we should ask him to chill out on the lyrics for this music we want to use in big dramatic cutscenes with lots of talking. Nah.

Maybe we shouldn't make music for flight mode start and stop every time you hop in your robot and fly fifty feet.

Oh we've got this cutscene with a lot of action and stuff happening in it maybe we should put one of the many big bombastic tracks we have to work with behind it. No, actually we had a meeting and decided that silence would be better for some reason. Save the music for when people are trying to talk.

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Apr 28, 2015

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Ometeotl posted:

It's not like Nintendo is going to keep that outfit for the West. If they changed the outfits in Bravely Default, I can't see them letting that one pass.

I dunno they didn't change anything about Iron Bull in Dragon Age and that has the same rating as this game. ESRB rating for this is M.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

Here's some gameplay and the music in it is pretty good (no vocals either, no idea if it has spoilers):

WUN BY WUU-UUUUUN

I love the vocals.

planetarial
Oct 19, 2012
There's an Iwata Asks interview out for XCX http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wiiu/xenoblade-chronicles-x/0/0 No spoilers as far as I can see.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

And for those of you complaining about the soundtrack, sure it's not as good as Xenoblade's was but that's a really loving high bar to reach. Just remember it could always be worse.

this song owns what the hell are you talking about

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

sharrrk posted:

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012

quote:

Iwata: Ah, it must've been quite some job for Mario Club, too.

Kojima: I was so focused on creating the game that I didn't pay attention to who had to take care of the aftermath.

Iwata:When I saw the invoice for Mario Club's testing fees, I froze up for a moment.

Kojima: I'm not surprised...

Iwata: I even said out loud, "Why are these numbers so high!" (laughs)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLypi9QgT1M&t=828s

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

Just remember it could always be worse.

I'd take washed-up Deep Purple over Sawano, Deep Purple is incredible. FF boss themes crib quite a bit from their sound.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

sharrrk posted:

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
I just want a release quarter. :negative:

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Evil Fluffy posted:

Oh man, you have an option to sprint after a while, that's fantastic. As nice and chill as it was to just wander around Bionis it was a little slow without wasting precious gem slots. And that music is pretty great, so I have a lot more hope for the overall soundtrack now. Besides, Persona 3/4 have given me a healthy tolerance/appreciation for English lyric battle music; it seriously grows on you after a while.

e: also

sharrrk posted:

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Playing through XC on the Wii for the second time, game's much more interesting with the map and art descriptions and enemy info all turned off.

Plus I can't believe I went Shulk-Reyn-Sharla so drat much last time, almost any mix of the other four is so much more hectic and fun (and hard with less health recovery).

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Every single thing I've read about the game for the last 4-5 pages just makes me want to skip this and replay the first Xenoblade instead. I've lost any hype I had.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Have fun, friend.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Renoistic posted:

Every single thing I've read about the game for the last 4-5 pages just makes me want to skip this and replay the first Xenoblade instead. I've lost any hype I had.

That's probably a good thing, honestly.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Oh good we're up to the "new things scare me" phase now.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

The Taint Reaper posted:

It's not really new things. Right now I'm mostly skeptical of the fact that everything I've heard about the game since release is that the main plot isn't as long as the first game's and that you can put characters in stripper outfits.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Fish Fry Andy posted:

It's not really new things. Right now I'm mostly skeptical of the fact that everything I've heard about the game since release is that the main plot isn't as long as the first game's and that you can put characters in stripper outfits.

Stripper outfits are clearly in the good thing category.

Like this the first non-mario Nintendo game in decades that actually has the sequel change up the formula from the original, rather than just release the same game.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

The Taint Reaper posted:

Nothing about what I've seen so far looks like a Xenoblade game or sequel, except for the combat system. It looks more like a spiritual successor, except they are using what popularity the Xenoblade name had.

The Taint Reaper posted:

Stripper outfits are clearly in the good thing category.

Like this the first non-mario Nintendo game in decades that actually has the sequel change up the formula from the original, rather than just release the same game.

I don't think I wanted a prequel or a literal Xenoblade 2, I think the first Xenoblade story was fantastic and doing anything else with it would have probably ended in disaster. It's just all the things I appreciated about Xenoblade Chronicles don't seem to be carrying over from what I can tell.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

katkillad2 posted:

Nothing about what I've seen so far looks like a Xenoblade game or sequel, except for the combat system. It looks more like a spiritual successor, except they are using what popularity the Xenoblade name had.

Xenoblade came about because Nintendo told them to put the Xeno name in the series since these were the same people who made Xenosaga and Xenogears and it would help people warm up to Xenoblade.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

The Taint Reaper posted:

I wouldn't say that different means better. In many ways I feel as though XBCX looks inferior to the original. The classes don't seem as distinct as the original party's different kits, party members appear fairly bland, I personally dislike the music, the setting isn't as obviously interesting, turbo mode doesn't seem as satisfying as chain attacks, etc.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Fish Fry Andy posted:

I wouldn't say that different means better. In many ways I feel as though XBCX looks inferior to the original. The classes don't seem as distinct as the original party's different kits, party members appear fairly bland, I personally dislike the music, the setting isn't as obviously interesting, turbo mode doesn't seem as satisfying as chain attacks, etc.
I dunno Xenoblade had like Rikki which you partnered with shulk and then the third character really didn't matter. I beat the game in it's entirety with a full collectopedia without really needing to mix and match party specs all that much.

Like maybe for the 120 level boss I did so Rikki and Sharla would keep overhealing and the boss just slowly wore itself down, but I ended the game in the first playthrough with everyone at max level. like I really only switched stuff just to max out the party linkage affinity but I did so for just the one resettable bossfight which you spammed awaken on a stunned party member constantly until they were at max. But yeah not a whole lot of party shifting was needed in battle and I mostly did it just for the heart to heart events.

that and to 100% all the achievements ont eh first playthrough.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Finally, some info on the DLC: http://xenobladex.jp/information/index.html#info150428-02

-4 new character DLC; each includes a new voiced character with three new affinity questlines and completing their quests will unlock new Doll/Skell blueprints, unique arts, weapons, etc. Beating any of these DLC questlines also allows you to unlock the Fashion Equipment feature before NG+.500yen each.

-3 "support quest" DLC; these quests give more rewards/xp than standard quests, and each DLC quest includes 6 variations. 300yen each.

There's also a bundle option that lets you get everything for 2000yen.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Finally, some info on the DLC: http://xenobladex.jp/information/index.html#info150428-02

-4 new character DLC; each includes a new voiced character with three new affinity questlines and completing their quests will unlock new Doll/Skell blueprints, unique arts, weapons, etc. Beating any of these DLC questlines also allows you to unlock the Fashion Equipment feature before NG+.500yen each.

-3 "support quest" DLC; these quests give more rewards/xp than standard quests, and each DLC quest includes 6 variations. 300yen each.

There's also a bundle option that lets you get everything for 2000yen.

2000 yen's worth of DLC so close to launch doesn't exactly change my mind about the game. And all of the characters look extremely generic.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
Surprise website update!

DLC coming out on May 8th: http://xenobladex.jp/information/index.html#info150428-02
-4 character DLC packs for 500 yen each
-Each character DLC adds a new NPC with 3 affinity quests
-Once you clear the quests, you unlock the NPC as a playable character, two arts exclusive to the character and a new Skell (one of the characters unlocks a new Skell weapon type instead)
-If you haven't unlocked the ability to set fashion equipment, the character DLC will unlock it for you
-3 support DLC packs for 300 yen each
-Each support DLC comes with 6 quests
-Each quest has a minimum level, higher level quests give better rewards
-The support DLC is designed for grinding: the first pack gives a lot of experience, the second gives a lot of money and miranium, the third gives a lot of affinity and union points
-All 7 DLC are available as a bundle for 2000 yen (900 yen off)

There's a page with some desktop backgrounds: http://xenobladex.jp/mission0/index.html
Click はい to begin and then click on some of the hexes to get wallpapers

A page on online quests: http://xenobladex.jp/online/online03.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAuJc7a8xaI
-Can be played with other people in your squad
-Rewards include materials that are otherwise unobtainable
-The game randomly assigns your squad "squad missions"
-Squad missions include killing enemies and finding items
-Progress towards the mission goals is shared across the squad
-Finishing even one of the goals means the mission is successful
-Completing squad missions makes squad quests appear at the BLADE home
-Squad quests are co-operative online quests for up to 4 human players
-Squad quests reward you with experience, reward tickets which can be exchanged for materials and BLADE medals, which allow you to fight World Enemies

BLADE report: http://xenobladex.jp/online/online04.html
-You can send messages to other players in your squad and read messages they have sent in the past
-You can recommend messages you like and they will appear to players in other squads
-You can block individual players if you don't want messages from them

BLADE scouting: http://xenobladex.jp/online/online05.html
-You can recruit other players' avatars from the BLADE area
-If you earn experience for them, you can get union points, rare resources, reward tickets and BLADE medals
-If there's a difference in levels between you and the avatar you're recruiting, you'll have to pay a recruitment fee
-Recruited avatars will leave your party after a certain time
-You can choose whether you want to allow other players to recruit your character
-If your character is recruited, you can earn experience, collectables and rare resources

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Renoistic posted:

2000 yen's worth of DLC so close to launch doesn't exactly change my mind about the game. And all of the characters look extremely generic.

Mario Kart 8, Hyrule Warriors and Mario Golf all had the that much DLC either at launch or for pre-order and it was all top quality, worth the price and didn't feel like the main game was stripped down or missing anything.

Seems like people are just looking for reasons not to like this game at the moment.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Apr 28, 2015

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Here's another picture of Lyn in questionable armor for those of you easily skeeved out for dumb reasons who want more reasons to not get the game, I'm watching a stream and finally managed to get a good shot of it:

This stuff doesn't affect me or bother me at all. Must be the years of bad anime in my youth.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Inverness posted:

I just want a release quarter. :negative:

(laughs)

Infinity Gaia posted:

Here's another picture of Lyn in questionable armor for those of you easily skeeved out for dumb reasons who want more reasons to not get the game, I'm watching a stream and finally managed to get a good shot of it:

This stuff doesn't affect me or bother me at all. Must be the years of bad anime in my youth.

Probably a joke by Monolith to get all the creeps to put their tank in light armor.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You could have a naked tank in Xenoblade so....

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

Doc V posted:

DLC stuff.

Based on the streams I'm pretty sure that HB glasses guy is some kind of DOLL mechanic that you talk with in a couple of sidequests. He doesn't have that many lines and I don't know Japanese so I don't know much about him though. Haven't seen the three other guys.
I guess there's still hope that the guy I really want to recruit and go on fabulous adventures with is actually recruitable ingame.
The awesome guy in question.
http://i.imgur.com/nEs2srS.jpg

Why would you ever put that on Lyn when Elma is standing right there. Makes no sense.

Dastardly fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Apr 28, 2015

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Sakurazuka posted:

Seems like people are just looking for reasons not to like this game at the moment.

I hope goons continue to hate anime so I can keep laughing at them because this thread is comedy gold.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I think it's perfectly fair to see "and here's the DLC pack" and have misgivings. The industry has bent over backwards to make "DLC" a dirty phrase, after all. However, while I don't know how much of a grip on the reins Nintendo has at Monolith, I am reasonably sure that the DLC they throw down for Xenoblade X will not be bullshit. I will not say without qualification it will be good, but it's more likely than not, and if nothing else I expect that it's going to be a satisfyingly large and/or interesting chunk of content for the price.

The armor for Lyn in that screenshot is actually really close to being good. It just needs a shirt under the jacket.

Is anybody streaming this who took the Forcer path? I want to see those in action, but everybody's going down Assault or Command trees. And my desire to see Blast Fencer/Galaxy Knight (the photon saber/psycho launcher class) is in mild conflict with my desire to not get story spoilers, and I don't know how far in you'd be before you could realistically get those classes. I already saw a really huge spoiler and I wish I hadn't. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

MechaCrash posted:

Is anybody streaming this who took the Forcer path? I want to see those in action, but everybody's going down Assault or Command trees. And my desire to see Blast Fencer/Galaxy Knight (the photon saber/psycho launcher class) is in mild conflict with my desire to not get story spoilers, and I don't know how far in you'd be before you could realistically get those classes. I already saw a really huge spoiler and I wish I hadn't. :(

narumi23's Cross has maxed the galaxy knight and elite planner classes. He spends most of his time oneshotting enemies with his mech now though. On how long it takes to reach and max rank one of the end classes. About 15-20 hours maybe? Based entirely on how many quests and stuff you do.

• Locked thread