Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
double negative
Jul 7, 2003

I finally got caught up on this show after catching the first couple episodes a while back and giving up. Reactions off the top of my head:

Cal is amazing, and the scene where he destroys the two guards when he goes to meet Whitehall was among my favorites.

Triplett sacrificing himself to save us from more of BJ Britt's acting was an act of true heroism. RIP.

I think I'm all set on brain damaged Fitz for a bit, though I do hope they play out the ideological divide between him and Simmons a bit more.

Real Shield seems pretty goofy because that's a silly way to identify yourself unless you're a celebrity Twitter handle, but I'll roll with it since splinter factions seem like a reasonable way to play the Shield implosion.

Overall it's a pretty fun show, especially given its kind of necessarily awkward positioning within the MCU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Does RIP mean rest in pieces?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

double negative posted:

Triplett sacrificing himself to save us from more of BJ Britt's acting was an act of true heroism. RIP.

What's with Marvel threads and all these wrong opinions?

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

enraged_camel posted:

What's with Marvel threads and all these wrong opinions?

I can't answer for any other threads or posts, but he was real bad, and I'm not watching this show looking for some masterful performances or anything.

I do wonder if they ever really planned for him and Simmons to be a thing, or if it was always about the impact his death would have on her.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

double negative posted:

I think I'm all set on brain damaged Fitz for a bit, though I do hope they play out the ideological divide between him and Simmons a bit more.

drat, man. I liked Triplett. I definitely got a quota sense from him though; as soon as he died, I knew Mack didn't. Because gotta have a black guy, no more and no less. Now that Deathlok is back in the mix, I hope Mack is ok. You can have more than one black guy, Marvel...please keep both of them around.

They seem to have dropped the brain damage thing with Fitz, already, though. Now, it's more of a psychologically transformative thing, than a cognitive one; its less about what happened to his brain and more about his resentment over betrayal and abandonment.

But introducing them as a joint-character whose name was literally a joke and then splitting them on some Civil War line is an interesting call.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Xealot posted:

drat, man. I liked Triplett. I definitely got a quota sense from him though; as soon as he died, I knew Mack didn't. Because gotta have a black guy, no more and no less. Now that Deathlok is back in the mix, I hope Mack is ok. You can have more than one black guy, Marvel...please keep both of them around.

I forget which black guy I liked, but I think the show killed off the wrong one because the one we have now is really boring.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Xealot posted:

Mack will join the spinoff. You get one black guy each!

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Having just recently gotten around to watching Arrow, I'll take a whole season of episodic villain-of-the-week stuff over another goddamn melodramatic soap opera Huntress episode. It staggers me that people say AoS was worse than that.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

BreakAtmo posted:

Mack will join the spinoff. You get one black guy each!

"We need a huge, bald, stoic black man. Do we get the mechanic or the cyborg? Either are good."

At least Triplett emoted things. Come on, J. August Richards...you're a body horror Frankenstein monster whose life was ruined by Nazis. Does that make you feel any ways? Angry? Sad?

Not that Charles Gunn delivered Shakespearean sonnets, but they gave him something.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

I dunno, Britt had a way of delivering lines that always felt exactly like he was delivering lines. There was some lack of authenticity. It reminded me of school plays. I don't know if it was bad acting or some affect of his speech that just hit my ear wrong every time.

It didn't help that almost everything Tripp ever said was supplemental/after-the-fact bits. (<Coulson lays out the mission brief> 'That sounds like some sort of pickle!' <Simmons exposits science solution> 'Great idea, Simmons, I'd never have thought of that!' sort of thing). The Patton Oswalts felt like more of a real character.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Xealot posted:

Let's hope Agents of Shield doesn't begin conforming to Black Highlander rules from Walking Dead.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Blazing Ownager posted:

Let's hope Agents of Shield doesn't begin conforming to Black Highlander rules from Walking Dead.

I stopped watching Walking Dead after they got to I think the third guy - it seemed like they were doing it on purpose.

I was worried for a second when possessed Mack fell down the hole, but I figured they couldn't be that stupid.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Ambivalent posted:

I dunno, Britt had a way of delivering lines that always felt exactly like he was delivering lines. There was some lack of authenticity. It reminded me of school plays. I don't know if it was bad acting or some affect of his speech that just hit my ear wrong every time.

It didn't help that almost everything Tripp ever said was supplemental/after-the-fact bits. (<Coulson lays out the mission brief> 'That sounds like some sort of pickle!' <Simmons exposits science solution> 'Great idea, Simmons, I'd never have thought of that!' sort of thing). The Patton Oswalts felt like more of a real character.

It wasn't lack of authenticity, but rather his light-hearted attitude and friendly nature. He wasn't overly serious like all the time like, say, May, and people mistook that for lack of acting ability.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

It wasn't lack of authenticity, but rather his light-hearted attitude and friendly nature. He wasn't overly serious like all the time like, say, May, and people mistook that for lack of acting ability.

Nope.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Not nope. Yep.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
That...doesn't really make any sense. The opposite is true because often an actor will be told to act sad/restrained and it comes across as them not being able to emote, but I don't see how "He's light-hearted so it looks bad" is true at all.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

I can tell the difference between someone being friendly and upbeat versus poorly delivered/directed/written lines. I responded with 'nope' because I wasn't really sure how else to nicely respond to someone explaining basic human expression to me like I'm from Mars.

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

People hated Tripp because he was a black man that was interposing himself into the relationship between a white nerd and the white girl the white nerd was secretly madly in love with.

I mean really, let's not kid around here.

That being said, in retrospect, he was pretty clearly written to be killed off somehow. So maybe it was not just nerd friendzone envy and racism, but simply people noticing that his character felt temporary.

Just kidding, it was racism.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Keshik posted:

People hated Tripp because he was a black man that was interposing himself into the relationship between a white nerd and the white girl the white nerd was secretly madly in love with.

I mean really, let's not kid around here.

That being said, in retrospect, he was pretty clearly written to be killed off somehow. So maybe it was not just nerd friendzone envy and racism, but simply people noticing that his character felt temporary.

Just kidding, it was racism.

Yeah it could not be due to him being cast in another show.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Ambivalent posted:

I responded with 'nope' because I wasn't really sure how else to nicely respond

Not responding is always an option if that's all you got.

I always thought Tripp was the most likeable character and hoped he'd take on Ward's role long-term. Was bummed when they killed him off but F+S both survived the drowning.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.
I really liked Tripp and I was never distracted by Britt's acting. :colbert: But doesn't he have another job on another show? It seems like that is a prime situation for killing off a character.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

There was nothing "distracting" about Britt's acting. Y'all are out of your minds.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Tripp was just a smug, semi-annoying character, i didn't hate him or anything but i am not sad that he is gone either.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Tripp was crazy hot and I am very sad he died.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Ambivalent posted:

I liked his performance but you're absolutely right about the majority of his lines being "friendly black guy" quips. I didn't notice it at the time but looking back I can't deny it.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I hope Real SHIELD becomes the de facto SHIELD, and Coulson just goes rogue with his team. Then the AoS spin-off turns out to actually be the original team's adventures just loving off, unbound by rules, building up their team with whatever assets they want and doing whatever they want.

Coulson, Skye, May, Fitz, Simmons, Ward, Kara, Hunter, Cal, Reina, and Dethlok just tearing poo poo up every week giving no fucks.

Tonight, on Agents of Shield...

Bobbi: We've and intel regarding an 084 somewhere in Canada.
Gonzales: Let's fill out some paperwork requesting permission to send a team in. When we hear back, we'll see if we can get in contact with the prime minster of Canada and request a meeting to discuss international treaties and put out a news bulletin letting their citizens know of our intentions. Then after a public forum and a vote, if all goes well, we'll partner with the mounties to start an investigation into locating the 084, if it's still there. Remember, we're not about secrets or recklessness here.

Tonight, on COULSON'S COMMANDOS....

Reina: I just had a premonition that some poo poo is going down!
Coulson: loving sweet! Cal, go break that thing with your fists! Dethlok, shoot rockets out of your fuckin' hand! Kara, change your face into another face like YEAH! Cal break another thing because that's so loving awesome. Skye, make it clap. May, fight that rear end in a top hat. Ward, fight that other rear end in a top hat. Hunter, be British. Fitz, Simmons, also be British and use some tech stuff to blow some poo poo up! GOD THIS IS SO loving COOL!

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

XboxPants posted:

I liked his performance but you're absolutely right about the majority of his lines being "friendly black guy" quips. I didn't notice it at the time but looking back I can't deny it.

I honestly don't watch the show closely enough to make note of specific lines most of the time, but my feeling was that his introduction -- coming in with Garrett, being super friendly/cooperative with the Bus crew, etc. -- was all lead up to the moment when Simmons has to trust him. I at least felt a moment of uncertainty over whether he really was going to be the trustworthy guy he says he is, or someone with an ulterior motive.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I found Tripp and Mack both fairly boring (though Mack has picked up a bit after the mid season break), but I'm apparently a giant racist.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

The Sharmat posted:

I found Tripp and Mack both fairly boring (though Mack has picked up a bit after the mid season break), but I'm apparently a giant racist.

Mack is actually making great strides for his race by showing the world that African American actors can be just as boring and stilted as white actors.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm not that fond of Mockingbird either so I can add sexist to the list.

Actually I guess I'm just not convinced that Agents of SHIELD needed a ton of new team members. The English guy whose name I currently can't remember is cool though.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
Mockingbird is pretty badass in the comics I guess but here she's overshadowed by May being so much more badasser.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm glad they started letting Ming-Na Wen emote a lot more this season because May has been really cool. Mockingbird otherwise hasn't stopped being Blonde May to me, except for her relationship with English Guy. And that' s probably not a great way to define a character.

I actually like Deathlok though so take my opinions with a grain of salt.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

mikeraskol posted:

Mockingbird is pretty badass in the comics I guess but here she's overshadowed by May being so much more badasser.

As someone who stopped reading comics in the 90s, its always weird to hear that an incredibly lovely character from my childhood is supposedly cool now.

Show Mockingjay is fine, I guess, but I just wish she was a real blonde instead of a dirty blonde.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Beats cool characters from your childhood turning out lovely.

Darth Ballz
Apr 30, 2003
Feel the burn

Irish Joe posted:

As someone who stopped reading comics in the 90s, its always weird to hear that an incredibly lovely character from my childhood is supposedly cool now.

Show Mockingjay is fine, I guess, but I just wish she was a real blonde instead of a dirty blonde.

Verily, the best thing Mockingbird did in the comics universe was die sometime in the early 90s.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Jamesman posted:

I hope Real SHIELD becomes the de facto SHIELD, and Coulson just goes rogue with his team. Then the AoS spin-off turns out to actually be the original team's adventures just loving off, unbound by rules, building up their team with whatever assets they want and doing whatever they want.

Coulson, Skye, May, Fitz, Simmons, Ward, Kara, Hunter, Cal, Reina, and Dethlok just tearing poo poo up every week giving no fucks.

Tonight, on Agents of Shield...

Bobbi: We've and intel regarding an 084 somewhere in Canada.
Gonzales: Let's fill out some paperwork requesting permission to send a team in. When we hear back, we'll see if we can get in contact with the prime minster of Canada and request a meeting to discuss international treaties and put out a news bulletin letting their citizens know of our intentions. Then after a public forum and a vote, if all goes well, we'll partner with the mounties to start an investigation into locating the 084, if it's still there. Remember, we're not about secrets or recklessness here.

Tonight, on COULSON'S COMMANDOS....

Reina: I just had a premonition that some poo poo is going down!
Coulson: loving sweet! Cal, go break that thing with your fists! Dethlok, shoot rockets out of your fuckin' hand! Kara, change your face into another face like YEAH! Cal break another thing because that's so loving awesome. Skye, make it clap. May, fight that rear end in a top hat. Ward, fight that other rear end in a top hat. Hunter, be British. Fitz, Simmons, also be British and use some tech stuff to blow some poo poo up! GOD THIS IS SO loving COOL!

This is a thing that must happen.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
This week, on The SHIELD Boat...
Gonzalez: "Bobbi, we just don't have the votes to change the "084 Detection Triplicate Form" from blue paper to pink.
Bobbi: "We'll get them, boss. We'll get them."
Gonzalez: (mutters gruffly) "... hard six ..."

This week, on Coulson's Commandos...
Son of Coul: "Skye, you've got to blow up that mountain, it's the only way to save the president, and defeat HYDRA!"
Cal: "THAT'S NOT HER..."
Coulson: "Yes, fine. Daisy, could you please?"
(Mountain explodes, taking the Armageddon Engine offline, for now)
Coulson: (looks over at Cal, now covered in blood) "What happened?"
Cal: "He tried to take my pastry. It was for Daisy."
Coulson: "Simmons, any chance for this pastry thief?"
Simmons: "Well..."
(Fitz looks up from his sandwich, gives a thumbs up)
May: (Knocks out the last of the 100 ninjas, most of whom are on fire) "..."

Next week, on The SHIELD Boat:
Gonzalez: "That man had a stapler. Now I have it."

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

OB_Juan posted:

Next week, on The SHIELD Boat:
Gonzalez: "That man had a stapler. Now I have it."

Meanwhile, on Coulson's Commandos:
May: "That man had a nailgun. Now I have it." :unsmigghh:

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Why does everyone love Edward James Olmos so much?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

The Sharmat posted:

Why does everyone love Edward James Olmos so much?

Blade runner and BSG

• Locked thread