Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Popular Thug Drink posted:

uhh

yeah

yeah there are

I'm always surprised by how bad it is, I suppose I keep hoping these seemingly decent people aren't harboring deep seated suspicions and distrust of black people.

ErIog posted:

I am actually quite surprised how up in arms white people on my Facebook are getting about this. There wasn't this kind of response from my dumb racist acquaintances at any point during anything with Ferguson.

Also this, for some reason the Baltimore thing is getting a bigger response thus far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
people actually go to baltimore for things

nobody's gonna go to ferguson

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also I think the lack of photos of Baltimore police pointing AR-15s at unarmed people and openly firing rubber bullets and tear gas at CNN reporters during their live coverage (and in one case, arresting a Fox reporter live on air when they caught him in the Forbidden Zone [TM]) has helped the police narrative, as there's fewer displays of open violence and oppression by the cops for people on the fence to criticize.

If anything, at least the BPD seems to have learned from Ferguson not to just drag out the Operatin' Operator gear and live ammunition at the first sign of uppity black people.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

VanSandman posted:

This has a lot to do with it, Ferguson was literally a no name tiny town on the outskirts of one of America's smaller cities.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Ron Jeremy posted:

Old white men?

The media also liked the Bundy ranch people until Bundy opened his racist mouth and two people went on a murder rampage.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Rexicon1 posted:

America is super duper racist.

South Africa wishes it could be as good as we are

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

VanSandman posted:

How about the people that live there?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Equine Don posted:

How about the people that live there?

too busy being pulled over

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
American race relations seem a bit hosed up

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Friendly Tumour posted:

American race relations seem a bit hosed up

He's not wrong.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Nintendo Kid posted:

This has a lot to do with it, Ferguson was literally a no name tiny town on the outskirts of one of America's smaller cities.

You should look into the reasons why Ferguson is a "tiny town on the outskirts" rather than a neighborhood in one of America's smaller cities.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

The St. Louis metro area has 2.9 million people. That's not "one of America's smaller cities". It's actually a larger metro area than Baltimore's.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ErIog posted:

You should look into the reasons why Ferguson is a "tiny town on the outskirts" rather than a neighborhood in one of America's smaller cities.

Those are entirely irrelevant to why a major city of 622,000 gets way more attention than a city fragment of 21,000 that does nothing other than farm its citizens for income the way Roman invaders farmed conquered territory for tribute.

Dr. Tough posted:

The St. Louis metro area has 2.9 million people. That's not "one of America's smaller cities". It's actually a larger metro area than Baltimore's.

St Louis is 318,000 people, just a bit more than half Baltimore. And again, Ferguson is 21,000.

It is assuredly one of America's smaller cities. Most people would count a city that places #58 in population as among the smaller cities in the country.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Apr 28, 2015

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

Those are entirely irrelevant to why a major city of 622,000 gets way more attention than a city fragment of 21,000 that does nothing other than farm its citizens for income the way Roman invaders farmed conquered territory for tribute.

St Louis is 318,000 people, just a bit more than half Baltimore. And again, Ferguson is 21,000.

It is assuredly one of America's smaller cities.

You said St. Louis was one of America's smaller cities, no one is disputing that Ferguson isn't terribly large.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Dr. Tough posted:

You said St. Louis was one of America's smaller cities, no one is disputing that Ferguson isn't terribly large.

St. Louis IS one of America's smaller cities. Number 58. 318,000 is small for an American city. This isn't hard, like I guess maybe you're from there and this hurts your feelings but that's how it goes.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
You're being pedantic. If you compare the St. Louis metro area to the Baltimore metro area they are similar sizes. The only reason St. Louis proper is half the population of Baltimore is that the city and surrounding area had an amazingly hosed up political structure that was entirely connected to the reason Ferguson is the way it is.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Fishmech doesn't know what white flight is and that's pretty funny since he's someone so blindingly ignorant yet with so much pedantry to spare.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

St. Louis IS one of America's smaller cities. Number 58. 318,000 is small for an American city. This isn't hard, like I guess maybe you're from there and this hurts your feelings but that's how it goes.

So according to you Atlanta and Minneapolis are also some of America's smallest cities. Neither of them cracks 450,000 people.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Call him phishmech because that reasoning requires the reader to be high as gently caress.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ErIog posted:

You're being pedantic. If you compare the St. Louis metro area to the Baltimore metro area they are similar sizes. The only reason St. Louis proper is half the population of Baltimore is that the city and surrounding area had an amazingly hosed up political structure that was entirely connected to the reason Ferguson is the way it is.

Irrelevant to the fact that St Louis is tiny as poo poo.

FAUXTON posted:

Fishmech doesn't know what white flight is and that's pretty funny since he's someone so blindingly ignorant yet with so much pedantry to spare.

I know all about white flight, but you don't get to count your scared whitey suburbs as part of the city, it's simply not how it works. If they want to be counted, they're free to move back in.

Dr. Tough posted:

So according to you Atlanta and Minneapolis are also some of America's smallest cities. Neither of them cracks 450,000 people.

Yes they are relatively small cities. This is an undisputed fact. Sorry, again, if it hurts your feelings to point out the truth?

You people need to get over the fact that general metro area people don't count for cities. Otherwise, Detroit wouldn't be bankrupt.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Apr 28, 2015

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Rexicon1 posted:

Their statement keeps changing from "A couple of juvenile agitators" to "URBAN FERAL GANG BEASTS" and then just weird hateful speech about horrible monsters roaming the streets raping and pillaging.

Never loving trust a cop

e: Note that they only got worried when the riots got too close to Johns Hopkins.

The "juvenile agitators that started all this" was that a high school staged a walkout protest and the cops geared up and came charging in and responding in with their rougher anti protest tactics as a result. Shockingly people got pissed about their kids getting treated like rioters for leaving school, doubly so since this whole thing is about the police using excessive force and over criminalization, and this triggered actual riots.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Metropolitan_Statistical_Areas

According to this the greater St Louis area and greater Baltimore areas are about the same size.

Seven Force
Nov 9, 2005

WARNING!

BOSS IS APPROACHING!!!

SEVEN FORCE

--ACTIONS--

SHITPOSTING

LOVE LOVE DANCING

FAUXTON posted:

Call him phishmech because that reasoning requires the reader to be high as gently caress.

I'm high and I do not enjoy fm derails.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Nevvy Z posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Metropolitan_Statistical_Areas

According to this the greater St Louis area and greater Baltimore areas are about the same size.

Irrelevant to which is a bigger city, to say nothing of how the Baltimore and Washington metro areas impinge on each other.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

You all are being pedantic because the point was that the media cares more because downtown Baltimore is a bigger deal than Ferguson, Missouri.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Tender Bender posted:

You all are being pedantic because the point was that the media cares more because downtown Baltimore is a bigger deal than Ferguson, Missouri.

Yeah and when people dare to mention it's because way more people are in a large city than a tiny suburb of a small city, all of a sudden the whiner brigade goes donkeyshit over how unfair people are being to the white flight suburbs not being counted.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

"I know what white flight is but I'm ignoring how it plays into metropolitan population distribution just so I can try pushing my bankrupt argument for deflating city sizes"

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

FAUXTON posted:

"I know what white flight is but I'm ignoring how it plays into metropolitan population distribution just so I can try pushing my bankrupt argument for deflating city sizes"

I'm not ignoring it, I'm specifically taking it into account! If you're in a white flight suburb, YOU ARE NO LONGER IN THE CITY! This is really simple stuff, we're not fuckign Australians where "city" means 1000 square miles loosely related to a 5 block central business district.

You're the one pretending white flight didn't happen by pretending that the sprawling-rear end metro area of St. Louis is all St. Louis.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Nintendo Kid posted:

Irrelevant to the fact that St Louis is tiny as poo poo.

I know all about white flight, but you don't get to count your scared whitey suburbs as part of the city, it's simply not how it works. If they want to be counted, they're free to move back in.

Yes they are relatively small cities. This is an undisputed fact. Sorry, again, if it hurts your feelings to point out the truth?
number 58 out of 295 is not "relatively small". Try looking up the truth before you pretend to have it.

quote:

You people need to get over the fact that general metro area people don't count for cities. Otherwise, Detroit wouldn't be bankrupt.
Don't even pretends you are competent on this topic, this whole derail is you lying by omission. St Louis is absolutely one if our larger cities, which is clear as soon as you look at the whole list.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Fried Chicken posted:

number 58 out of 295 is not "relatively small". Try looking up the truth before you pretend to have it.

Don't even pretends you are competent on this topic, this whole derail is you lying by omission. St Louis is absolutely one if our larger cities, which is clear as soon as you look at the whole list.

No it is not. It's a small city, 318k is small for a city. Most of the bottom end of the list is ~100k cities which are absolutely tiny.

Sorry but it's no longer the 1950s and St Louis no longer has nearly 900,000 people in it. All the Whitesburgs and Blackconfinementvilles created around it don't count towards the city.

The city is at 37% of its peak size and still shrinking. Hell, Detroit's only shrunk to 38% and may register an increase for the first time in decades next census

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Apr 28, 2015

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
St. Louis wasn't always destined to be one of America's smaller, irrelevant cities, which it is today. Back in the mid-19th Century there was a big fight in Congress over where the East-West terminus would be for the transcontinental railroad. The Democrats wanted it in St. Louis, the Republicans wanted it in Chicago. When the bill finally passed in 1862 there were a lot fewer Democrats in Congress for some strange reason and Chicago won out. All that tasty beef from the ranches in Nebraska and Kansas flowed north to Chicago and then on to the hungry mouths in New York.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
If the definition of what constitutes a city is a point of contention for you people, I don't think you're going to come up with a great many suggestions as to how this race mess is going to turn out.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

I too think "city" and "metropolitan statistical area" are one and the same, hence having the exact same definition, and lists of population by "city" and by "MSA" are identical.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Nintendo Kid posted:

No it is not. It's a small city, 318k is small for a city. Most of the bottom end of the list is ~100k cities which are absolutely tiny.

Sorry but it's no longer the 1950s and St Louis no longer has nearly 900,000 people in it. All the Whitesburgs and Blackconfinementvilles created around it don't count towards the city.

The city is at 37% of its peak size and still shrinking. Hell, Detroit's only shrunk to 38% and may register an increase for the first time in decades next census

It is 58 out of 295. That isn't relatively small and you know it. This derail has been you lying you rear end off and now you are fumbling about population flows to handle getting called out.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Friendly Tumour posted:

If the definition of what constitutes a city is a point of contention for you people, I don't think you're going to come up with a great many suggestions as to how this race mess is going to turn out.

No this is just Fishmech, whose personal triumph was looking up new Zealand milk prices a decade back to "disprove" an anecdote someone told on the way to making their actual point.

This kind of negative attention is the only attention he can get so he revels in it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Fried Chicken posted:

It is 58 out of 295. That isn't relatively small and you know it. This derail has been you lying you rear end off and now you are fumbling about population flows to handle getting called out.

That is absolutely relatively small because I'm capable of examining a list and noticing that it's very small. A list that goes from afew huge cities, to some big ones, and then rounds out with a bunch of smalls and tinys doesn't make the smalls into larges!

It's amazing that you claim I'm "lying my rear end off" by pointing out St Louis is small as hell and continues to plummet in size, indeed, it's the US city that's shrunk the most since its peak population.

Fried Chicken posted:

No this is just Fishmech, whose personal triumph was looking up new Zealand milk prices a decade back "disproved" an anecdote someone told on the way to making their actual point.

This kind of negative attention is the only attention he can get so he revels in it.

Keep whining about how demanding facts is mean. St Louis is small as gently caress and you know it is.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Ya'll just got fishmech'd again ha!

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Every ten pages or so fish mech's programming goes totally gently caress up

"Keep whining about how demanding facts is mean. St Louis is small as gently caress and you know it is."

This will be on his tombstone

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
:yikes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Nintendo Kid posted:

That is absolutely relatively small because I'm capable of examining a list and noticing that it's very small. A list that goes from afew huge cities, to some big ones, and then rounds out with a bunch of smalls and tinys doesn't make the smalls into larges!

It's amazing that you claim I'm "lying my rear end off" by pointing out St Louis is small as hell and continues to plummet in size, indeed, it's the US city that's shrunk the most since its peak population.

So we can add statistics to the list of things Fishmech doesn't understand. A list that goes from a few huge cities to some big ones with a long tail of smaller ones is a normal power distribution and exactly what you would expect. It also makes the "some big ones" large relative to most of them - you know, the large tail. 58 out of 295 isn't "relatively small" no matter how many times you screech about it.

Nintendo Kid posted:

Keep whining about how demanding facts is mean. St Louis is small as gently caress and you know it is.
Lol, you are the one losing his poo poo now that I pointed out the whole list shows you are lying, don't try to pretend you are in the side of the facts

• Locked thread