Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

kinmik posted:

It was also mentioned that he can breathe fire, if I'm remembering correctly. Wonder what he does for a living. I hope it's something completely mundane.

Deku's dad I mean.

He makes the best barbeque ribs smoked from wood created by his sidekick Sycamore Grand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Still rereading the series; I happened to notice something odd while doing so. Aizawa mentions that the population has shrunk; it's phrased a bit awkwardly and might mean something else, but, given our earlier speculation on things that might be a very important detail. Is there anyone who has seen the raws and can elaborate on what's actually being said? The phrasing in this translation makes it hard to tell if he's talking about the population of the world shrinking, or saying that not as many people participate in the Olympics anymore (in which case "population" is not the ideal word to use there).

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Roland Jones posted:

Still rereading the series; I happened to notice something odd while doing so. Aizawa mentions that the population has shrunk; it's phrased a bit awkwardly and might mean something else, but, given our earlier speculation on things that might be a very important detail. Is there anyone who has seen the raws and can elaborate on what's actually being said? The phrasing in this translation makes it hard to tell if he's talking about the population of the world shrinking, or saying that not as many people participate in the Olympics anymore (in which case "population" is not the ideal word to use there).

That's just saying the olympics aren't as popular anymore.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shukaro posted:

That's just saying the olympics aren't as popular anymore.

If so, then as I said, "population" was really the wrong word to use; it carries certain connotations and really just isn't appropriate to use there. These guys are putting out the best fansubs of this series but they're still pretty awkward at times. (And them drawing in that one girl without a head was just weird. I'm still amazed by that.)

Unrelated, man. I forgot Shinsou's introduction, or that Todoroki just up and told Deku that he's going to beat him (and also pulled that "I'm not here to make friends" thing). People were aggressive during the start of this arc.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
80% of the world having all manner of bizarre powers kinda puts a hole in conventional athleticism.

Ah, you've been training to run the marathon. That's nice. My 15-year-old kid broke the sound barrier by accident.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Hell most ironman races just would collapse against people with unlimited stamina or a ridiculously efficient metabolism.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Let this drop for awhile because the early festival was boring so I wanted chapters to stack up. It's sort of disappointing but unsurprising that they couldn't let Baku lose, but at least Ura's parents are cool :unsmith: Also hoping that since he HAS advanced, he figures out how to beat Todoroki's full power.

Fabricated posted:

There was a fan theory that thankfully seems to have been put to bed by Todoroki's flashback that Midoriya is one of Endeavor's "failed creations".

Why are you talking about fan theories? that's creepy.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Given how absolutely ridiculous everything at Yuuei High is, I'd like to see life at a high school that doesn't have Yuuei's funding or influence.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Just reread the first chapter.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

But that's a middle school.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Rodyle posted:

Why are you talking about fan theories? that's creepy.
Sure, I'll stop instead of trying to defend it and looking even creepier. :)

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Level Slide posted:

But that's a middle school.
I have a feeling the high school scene isn't much different.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Assuming there are schools other than Yuuei that offer heroism as a concentration, how do they conduct search-and-rescue training operations and other heroic stuff without a giant theme park of potential disasters?

Following that, what exactly passes for mundane in a setting where a superpowered bout happens daily?

Level Slide fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Apr 27, 2015

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Level Slide posted:

Assuming there are schools other than Yuuei that offer heroism as a concentration, how do they conduct search-and-rescue training operations and other heroic stuff without a giant theme park of potential disasters?

Following that, what exactly passes for mundane in a setting where a superpowered bout happens daily?

Disaster park was off campus, probably used by more than just the students at Yuuei.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Man, can you even imagine how the military must be like? Surely if superpowers started popping up everywhere, by random chance and virtue of population, some countries might end up with more superpowered people than others -- or rather, a higher proportion of people with strong powers than others. In that kind of situation, wouldn't the world's militaries be completely changed? There might be a superpower arms race!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Uh, if we're talking about countries with populations in the millions and assuming random chance is equal, they would all have similar proportions of superpowered people...

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I mean if you want to get down to it this would probably reduce whole countries to anarchy. At some point strategic weapons probably remain an equalizer but the threat of force underpinning most social structures would be massively destabilized by this.

Or, ya know, comic book, who cares

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Senator Kelly was right.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
And so the symbol of peace becomes even more relevant.

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006
It's the same as why most people don't end up being lethal assassins. Even though they potentially could... with years of training. But they don't because they have jobs and kids and other priorities. That just leaves those that have naturally powerful quirks (of which most probably would get defeated easily by heroes) and those that train.

We know the government keeps track of quirks and there is probably a taboo on using certain types of quirks (like the mindcontrol guy apparently having barely any previous experience with his quirk),

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I just kinda go by the assumption that we're handwaving the societal upheaval that would be caused by 80%+ of the world suddenly developing random superpowers from the mundane to the potentially world-altering.

Basically X-men but with the X-Gene percentage flipped that the majority gets powers, and without all the really depressing man's inhumanity to man poo poo.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Piriwi posted:

It's the same as why most people don't end up being lethal assassins. Even though they potentially could... with years of training. But they don't because they have jobs and kids and other priorities. That just leaves those that have naturally powerful quirks (of which most probably would get defeated easily by heroes) and those that train.

We know the government keeps track of quirks and there is probably a taboo on using certain types of quirks (like the mindcontrol guy apparently having barely any previous experience with his quirk),

I seem to recall them mentioning that just using your powers whenever you like is illegal and they are restricted unless you're a hero.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I know Aizawa said middle school kids were barred from using their quirks during gym class when he was first introduced, but not any systematic restrictions on quirks.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
Aren't they also banned during the commuting hours, at least in Japan?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
It comes up in numerous places that quirks are heavily regulated, yeah. Uraraka's backstory is one no one mentioned yet, for example; it's mentioned that her quirk would probably be really useful for helping her family's construction business, if she could get permission to use it freely.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Yeah, it's explicitly stated that you can't use your powers unless you have special permits for it. Super Heroes have permits at all times of course. I'm sure other important jobs (a firefighter who can create water, a police guy who can be a lie detector) can get permits as well.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Maybe every country has their own Dr. Manhattan so they don't mess with each other.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Well that probably explains why All Might needs a successor so bad.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I wonder if they'll ever get into the implication that given how One For All works (with it getting stronger every generation) that at some point in the future whoever ends up with it will be like silver age Superman and be capable of basically destroying the world instead of just "merely" being debate-ably the strongest hero.

Like All Might lectures Midoriya once on how his power is a responsibility but neither of them seem to guard their own lives all that well.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Too much One for All. Not enough All for One.

But I'd assume One for All would snowball to the point where even 0.5% output would still destroy a vessel unless a bodybuilder or whatever the hell Noumu is handled it.

Level Slide fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 28, 2015

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I would think that eventually the power from One for All would be so large that any amount that someone without that quirk adds would become so insignificant as to be meaningless. Over a long enough time scale the power will just level off. I mean, by that stage One for All is basically unbeatable, hell maybe it's hit that level already.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Nah. Deku must inevitably surpass All Might.

Though I suppose he could do that without being stronger. Would be in line with what the manga's preaching so far.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Terper posted:

Nah. Deku must inevitably surpass All Might.

Though I suppose he could do that without being stronger. Would be in line with what the manga's preaching so far.

You know, I wonder if they'll ever establish something that All Might, in all his, well, might, could never do. Ie, there was some rock he couldn't budge, or some villain's armour he couldn't break. Bit obvious, yeah, but it'd make for an easy shorthand that yeah, Deku's at that level now.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Astro Nut posted:

You know, I wonder if they'll ever establish something that All Might, in all his, well, might, could never do. Ie, there was some rock he couldn't budge, or some villain's armour he couldn't break. Bit obvious, yeah, but it'd make for an easy shorthand that yeah, Deku's at that level now.

They sort of have with the Villain that hurt All Might, I assume that guy will be popping up again, unless i am not remembering his fate being discussed/shown already?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Prison Warden posted:

I would think that eventually the power from One for All would be so large that any amount that someone without that quirk adds would become so insignificant as to be meaningless. Over a long enough time scale the power will just level off. I mean, by that stage One for All is basically unbeatable, hell maybe it's hit that level already.
I dunno. It's been...8-9 bearers so far and half-dead All Might can throw punches so powerful the air pressure from them can be felt for city blocks. I don't know if it's an exponential curve but it's made pretty clear by All Might himself that the power is the combined, fostered strength of everyone who used it before.

Of course I have no idea how the gently caress you're supposed to get swole enough to withstand recoil from skyscraper leveling punches but whatever. Maybe it's not muscular strength but generic "energy" or something. Aizawa can turn One for All off, so it's an "emitter" or "transformation" power if what he said was translated right.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

MadHat posted:

They sort of have with the Villain that hurt All Might, I assume that guy will be popping up again, unless i am not remembering his fate being discussed/shown already?

I remember someone mentioning in the comic that since the fight with All Might 5 years ago Venomous Chainsaw hasn't really been heard from again. Something probably went down between the two of them (or I'm remembering wrong)

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Deku said that in the first chapter, but then All Might said that had nothing to do with him being a skellington.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Doesn't help that the fan translation and VIZ's translation differ. In the VIZ version he says something like "A guy like that couldn't do this to me!"

Though I guess that carries the implication that there's somebody bigger and badder than Venomous Chainsaw.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Bad Seafood posted:

Doesn't help that the fan translation and VIZ's translation differ. In the VIZ version he says something like "A guy like that couldn't do this to me!"

Though I guess that carries the implication that there's somebody bigger and badder than Venomous Chainsaw.

That was the fan translation I read too, when Deku says 'Hyper Venom Chainsaw' All Might laughs and goes 'Like Someone like that could do this!'

It's probably whoever's behind the screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Stallion Cabana posted:

That was the fan translation I read too, when Deku says 'Hyper Venom Chainsaw' All Might laughs and goes 'Like Someone like that could do this!'
That's probably it then. The fan translation I was referring to was the very first one out which was infamously terrible.