Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

fount of knowledge posted:

Welp, it was fun while it lasted, but I finally deleted Hearthstone from my iphone. If you're gonna give me two solid weeks of 40 gold quests, then I have zero obligation to put up with your dumb poo poo, freemium or no. :byewhore:

lol

You realise you have to complete those to even see the 100s again, right? Hearthstone has many flaws, that isn't one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

mphill posted:

Sounds like it wasn't fun while it lasted, or you wouldn't have quit with the absolute dumbest excuse ever

Zigmidge posted:

lol

You realise you have to complete those to even see the 100s again, right? Hearthstone has many flaws, that isn't one of them.

I mean, this was with me playing it and clearing quests almost daily (and definitely seeing repetition in the quests, so if it was a checklist system the game does a bad job of showing it). I really did enjoy the deck-building aspect of Hearthstone, and the mechanics are certainly tight, but after two weeks of regular play and still not even being able to afford the first unlocked wing of Naxxramas (and having to forego any new booster packs to do even that) the game just unfortunately fell in that window of being too grindy for a freemium game while also not being worth the buy-in cost for me. Of course these are just personal judgement calls for why I wound up unsatisfied with it after two weeks, and if other people feel differently then more power to them.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

I mean, this was with me playing it and clearing quests almost daily (and definitely seeing repetition in the quests, so if it was a checklist system the game does a bad job of showing it). I really did enjoy the deck-building aspect of Hearthstone, and the mechanics are certainly tight, but after two weeks of regular play and still not even being able to afford the first unlocked wing of Naxxramas (and having to forego any new booster packs to do even that) the game just unfortunately fell in that window of being too grindy for a freemium game while also not being worth the buy-in cost for me. Of course these are just personal judgement calls for why I wound up unsatisfied with it after two weeks, and if other people feel differently then more power to them.

I pretty much agree with this. The game is way too grindy if you're playing for progression and the average person will get bored pretty fast over using the hunter/zoo decks again and again. The PVE content is pretty thin too.

The entry level starter class decks can't compete at this point - the enforced 'meta' of MTG DOTP series was more enjoyable to explore than the current HS meta.

Tezzeract fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Apr 26, 2015

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

It far better to think of naxxramas as the starter pack of hearthstone. If you spend the $25 on it you will have a much better time. You get the best defensive units. You get some legendary, one of which is a candidate for best legendary in the game. mad scientist is amazing in the two cheapest legendary worthy decks. And a lot more.

I understand not wanting to spend that much on a game. It was easier for me because i already had about two months of play time before being asked to spend that $25 (also it was cheaper when first released)

Edit: hearthstone is doing a really bad job attractiving new players. When i started aggro mage, zoo, and mid range hunter were all top tier, only needed 2-4 rares each, and didn't need a single adventure card to be top of the line.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 26, 2015

Huskers
May 9, 2009

Paineopticon posted:

I can't believe how bad I am at google, I'm going to blame it on old age. What's the best golfing game for ipad/ios? No 2d please. Preferably something I can buy up front and play as much as I want (no stamina gating system).

I love the tiger woods games on consoles, wouldn't mind something like that, but if it has zany minigolf courses I'm okay with that too. Might actually prefer that.

WGT Golf Mobile is the best of the bunch imo, real courses, I don't think there is a stamina or timer component iirc. But the club shop "upgrades" are pretty pricey, that's where they get the IAP. The game is playable without them, but some courses are pretty tough when you're hitting long irons and fairway woods as approach shots.

Golf Star isn't a bad golf game, but is extremely freemium with timers, stamina, upgrades, etc

The EA game, King of Golf or something is not worth your time.

e: Let's Golf was a pretty great Mario Golf clone, but it looks like it's been pulled from the store.

Huskers fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Apr 26, 2015

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Don't buy Naxx with gold it's insane . You're looking at spending 3500 gold (which is the equivalent of almost $50 in boosters) to save $25. I guess the option is there if you somehow really want to do it but it's set up to be a really efficient way to spend real money on the game to get you started, but a really bad & inefficient use of gold

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
FF Record Keeper is making mr nostalgic, does anyone have an idea of when to expect the next Sqeenix sale?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
If SE was slick they'd setup sales in conjunction with FFRK events, IE: When the Terra event starts tonight go put FF6 on sale and have DeNA mention it in the event's news piece. Though people would have to contend with the fact that FF6 has the ugly-rear end FFD recolors and not good 16-bit sprites like Record Keeper.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Paineopticon posted:

I can't believe how bad I am at google, I'm going to blame it on old age. What's the best golfing game for ipad/ios? No 2d please. Preferably something I can buy up front and play as much as I want (no stamina gating system).

I love the tiger woods games on consoles, wouldn't mind something like that, but if it has zany minigolf courses I'm okay with that too. Might actually prefer that.

You could try GOLFINITY which is completely free 3d putting game.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

For the dude asking how to learn what spell counters what in Sorcery-- you'll burn through some stamina & reagents doing so, but that old rear end in a top hat on the bridge who asks for a gift to let you pass will counter basically any spell you try and throw at him, and the counters will be recorded in your spell book when he does so. By the way is there a way to get past him without losing an arm and a leg? Literally or figuratively. I don't particularly want to part with any combination of my sword, my black facemask, my gold-backed mirror, or my loving leg or my finger!!!! Jeeze this game gets dark

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

marshmonkey posted:

You could try GOLFINITY which is completely free 3d putting game.

Or Desert Golfing which is the original. :v:

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

goferchan posted:

For the dude asking how to learn what spell counters what in Sorcery-- you'll burn through some stamina & reagents doing so, but that old rear end in a top hat on the bridge who asks for a gift to let you pass will counter basically any spell you try and throw at him, and the counters will be recorded in your spell book when he does so. By the way is there a way to get past him without losing an arm and a leg? Literally or figuratively. I don't particularly want to part with any combination of my sword, my black facemask, my gold-backed mirror, or my loving leg or my finger!!!! Jeeze this game gets dark

When south of the bridge in the forest/swamp there is a set of rungs you can climb at around the middle of the bridge.
Some liberal rewinding was involved in my finding that shortcut.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

xzzy posted:

Or Desert Golfing which is the original. :v:

Don't forget Golf Is Hard!

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I love tiger woods masters and played the hell out of it. I don't think anything gets closer to the feeling of golf than desert golfing.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Democracy 3 is a buck. Think it's iPad only?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Sad lions posted:

When south of the bridge in the forest/swamp there is a set of rungs you can climb at around the middle of the bridge.
Some liberal rewinding was involved in my finding that shortcut.

I tried that and made it halfway up and met Flanker from Part 1 again. Couldn't make it up to the surface of the bridge, though, and I had to ditch my weapons to make the climb & when I climbed back down my sword was stolen!!!!!! gently caress this bridge I'm going somewhere else

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Thanks for all the suggestions! Golf is hard.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

SynthOrange posted:

DOES NOT COMMUTE is amazing. Get it.

It rapidly goes from 'Oh is it this easy?' to 'Jesus gently caress what was I thinking?!'

gently caress yeah. This is a blast. Thanks for this. I spent $2 immediately.

Meep
Oct 7, 2000

goferchan posted:

Don't buy Naxx with gold it's insane . You're looking at spending 3500 gold (which is the equivalent of almost $50 in boosters) to save $25. I guess the option is there if you somehow really want to do it but it's set up to be a really efficient way to spend real money on the game to get you started, but a really bad & inefficient use of gold
Yeah seriously, this. Buying the Adventures is easily the worst use of gold in the game. You really should only be doing it if you've been playing long enough that you have a bunch of gold saved up anyways, or you just really hate yourself and love grinds. The best thing for new players to do with gold is try to get good at the Arena. You get to play with all the cards you don't have and once you can average 3+ wins it's strictly better then buying packs.

If you really want to jump into ranked with a non-crap deck you pretty much need to just pony up the $25 for Naxx.

Meep fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Apr 27, 2015

JagGator
Oct 31, 2012
Jumped on the Hearthstone bandwagon. Seems like the matchmaking really ramped the hell up on me. First two arenas I did I went 5 wins then 6 wins. Next 4 I'm lucky to get 2 wins. Using Icy Veins guide so I feel like I'm not making any bonehead deck choices.

Around the same time as the third arena run I ran up to rank 20 so I could get the card back; only lost 1 time on the way too (using basic deck). Now I can barely win 1 out of every 4 matches, ranked or casual-doesn't matter.

Did I trip the "newb wire" by ranking to 20 and now I'll never beat anyone again without rolling for a shitton of actually good cards?

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

JagGator posted:

Jumped on the Hearthstone bandwagon. Seems like the matchmaking really ramped the hell up on me. First two arenas I did I went 5 wins then 6 wins. Next 4 I'm lucky to get 2 wins. Using Icy Veins guide so I feel like I'm not making any bonehead deck choices.

Around the same time as the third arena run I ran up to rank 20 so I could get the card back; only lost 1 time on the way too (using basic deck). Now I can barely win 1 out of every 4 matches, ranked or casual-doesn't matter.

Did I trip the "newb wire" by ranking to 20 and now I'll never beat anyone again without rolling for a shitton of actually good cards?

The arena doesn't remember your previous wins. It is only your current win lose rate matter. But yes rank 20 is loving brutal. Causal is far more brutal. Though oddly enough rank 17-10 is a breeze.

Also we got 4-5 threads on heartstone. We would be totally willing to help you make better decks or play better if you want.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

JagGator posted:

Yeah all that matters with your Arena matchups is your performance on that run (and by the way, 6 wins on your second arena ever is pretty loving sick, congrats) -- if you're 3-0, the game will try and match you up with someone else who's 3-0, if you're 0-2, it'll try and match you with someone else who's 0-2, and so on. Apparently it gets a little looser once you're at 10+ wins or so just because there aren't that many people who make it that high, but I sure wouldn't know. Casual is weird and I don't know how the matchmaking works there exactly but I wouldn't honestly bother if you're at Rank 20; you can't drop below that anyway so you might as well be playing ranked to grind towards that golden class portrait/get a feel for what the meta in your rank roughly looks like. What deck are you running with right now? There are definitely some people here (or in the HS thread in the Blizzard games subforum) who can give you some tips if you wanna post it

edit: or add me, weezyfherzog#1880 -- I'll happily spectate you and throw some tips your way. I'm not great but I've been playing enough lately to at least be able to call you out on any big "new player mistakes" or whatever

Meep
Oct 7, 2000

JagGator posted:

As has been mentioned the Arena simply tries to match you with someone near your win/loss record for that individual run. Arena can be very swingy though even if you are good, sometimes you happen to run into a bunch of decks that perfectly counter yours, and other times you sit there pulling perfect top deck after top deck.

The best resource for drafting btw is http://www.heartharena.com/

The algorithm they use to calculate which card you should pick is really solid at this point. I tend to disagree with 1 or 2 choices it makes in a run, but not by much, and for any newer player just following it completely is your best bet. If you don't want to go through the effort of putting your deck in there you can always just use their tier list as well, I would trust it a bit more then the Icy Veins one.

As for Ranked/Casual, you can kind of think of Casual as a form of Ranked where there's only like a few ranks. Basically if you lose a couple you'll quickly be matched with people who are terrible, and if you win a couple you'll be facing people who are very good. It should settle you into a ~50% winrate after a few games. That said it's kinda pointless except for loving around with new/silly decks when you don't want to lose rank. In Ranked on the other hand Rank 25 - 21 are the newb zone. You can't lose rank in those ranks so you're not going to stay there very long unless you are very, very bad. Rank 20 is where Ranked really starts.

Shwqa posted:

But yes rank 20 is loving brutal. Causal is far more brutal. Though oddly enough rank 17-10 is a breeze.
Yeah this is totally not true, smurfs have lower win %'s then people actually trying to rank due to the whole conceding every other game thing. Like yeah when you run into a smurf who's trying it's going to be a more difficult match, but that's more then made up for by all the instant concedes you get at those ranks. If you can't get out of Rank 20 it's because you and/or your deck aren't good enough, it's not because of those drat smurfs.

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me
For anyone playing Wrassling, we just pushed a quick update through that fixes a v annoying bug that caused the game to freeze after pressing Retry, and also a thing where text would overlap sometimes.

We're currently working on a huge update that adds local multiplayer (by far the most requested feature) and some other neat stuff.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
:siren: Ticket to Ride Championship sign-ups are now open! :siren:

It's primarily aimed at those who play it on PC/Steam, but it can also be played cross-platform on iDevices, for those who are interested.
(Also, my apologies if ad posts - even if they're for relevant tournaments - aren't exactly appreciated in here!)

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
I just finished playing "A dark room" and enjoyed it quite a bit. To my surprise, it was the part where you go adventuring in a top=down ASCII world, like the adventure mode in Dwarf Fortress that I enjoyed the most, which was weird, since I've never been able to get into the ASCII representation stuff.

Now I'm really feeling like more of that. Are there any good games like the Adventure Mode of DF on ios?

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
There's a prequel to A Dark Room called The Ensign and is a lot harder. It's iPhone not universal, though, so it won't pop up on App Store searches unless you change the filter to iPhone games.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I've been "playing" Adventure Capitalist and I don't know what numbers mean anymore. Help.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Fat Samurai posted:

I've been "playing" Adventure Capitalist and I don't know what numbers mean anymore. Help.

Take this as your sign to delete it while you can.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
But I still can make the numbers go higher.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

Fat Samurai posted:

Run.

It is a trap.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Anyone playing Lifeline? It's a really interesting take on the choose your own adventure type games, with you exchanging text messages to someone who has crash landed on this moon out in the middle of space. It takes place over several days in real time, with you receiving text notifications from time to time.

It was written by one of the writers for Telltales A Wolf Among Us, and is currently burning up the charts on the App Store. I wonder how it got so popular?

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

theblackw0lf posted:

Anyone playing Lifeline? It's a really interesting take on the choose your own adventure type games, with you exchanging text messages to someone who has crash landed on this moon out in the middle of space. It takes place over several days in real time, with you receiving text notifications from time to time.

It was written by one of the writers for Telltales A Wolf Among Us, and is currently burning up the charts on the App Store. I wonder how it got so popular?

I've really liked Lifeline so far. Reminds me of The Martian, except if the main character wasn't a tony stark level tech guy.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Fat Samurai posted:

i know. i know... :(

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Just walked past the Zynga building, AMA

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
I'm playing Century City and I have no idea what I'm doing but the numbers keep getting bigger and I can't stop

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

omg chael crash posted:

Just walked past the Zynga building, AMA

did everyone look sad

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I'm oddly getting into the dumb f2p game Tadpole Tap. It's not amazing but it's a fun enough endless climber with the only f2p limitations being unlockable skins. I will admit the main reason I'm probably into it us the music is really good. It's worth downloading for that alone.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

robodex posted:

did everyone look sad

I know a guy that worked for them. The answer is yes. Though apparently they pay really good money. He and bunch of other people quit after 1/3 of the staff was layed off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

Shwqa posted:

I know a guy that worked for them. The answer is yes. Though apparently they pay really good money. He and bunch of other people quit after 1/3 of the staff was layed off.

Honestly, I'm surprised they're still around. They haven't really had a big hit since Farmville have they?