Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

rafikki posted:

I was editing a wiki page that had a lot of references to Cloud Ring (eve online) while running that addon. A few days later someone pings me asking why I renamed everything to Butt Ring.

Cloud Ring mind as well be called Butt Ring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Yeah sorry I was confused on that. At the federal level under FLSA, your rate of pay is part of the equation for whether or not you are exempt as a "computer professional". But it's not sufficient by itself. You have to also meet several other criteria related to your job function. They're kind of hilariously broad, though.

It sounds like this also varies incredibly by state so a general nationwide discussion is almost meaningless.

http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/fairpay/fs17e_computer.htm

e: fixed link

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Apr 28, 2015

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

jaegerx posted:

If you do in house credit card processing you're required to know where those servers are exactly.
As far as I'm aware, this is completely and totally false in a hosting context. If you do not maintain the physical facility, you are required to submit certification that your hosting provider abides by the guidelines outlined in the specification. For Amazon Web Services, that information is available on the AWS PCI DSS Level 1 FAQs page.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Vulture Culture posted:

As far as I'm aware, this is completely and totally false in a hosting context. If you do not maintain the physical facility, you are required to submit certification that your hosting provider abides by the guidelines outlined in the specification. For Amazon Web Services, that information is available on the AWS PCI DSS Level 1 FAQs page.
Keep in mind, you are still at the mercy of your regulator, and sometimes it's easier to just say gently caress it and not bother jumping through any hoops.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Vulture Culture posted:

You are responsible for PCI compliance. They won't reveal who has gained compliance but say it's been done before. I don't care to argue. If it can be done cool. It's probably easier to do it in house or on bare metal.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Chickenwalker fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Mar 1, 2019

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Chickenwalker posted:

Anybody used Ubiquiti's AC access points? I've read that they aren't that great compared to their earlier models, but we're switching from Airport Extremes and I don't want to take a step back from the speeds AC offers (and beam forming if these actually do it).
i spend a lot of time on the UBNT forums and have never bothered to jump up to AC because of the constant bitching about them. Good luck.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

adorai posted:

Keep in mind, you are still at the mercy of your regulator, and sometimes it's easier to just say gently caress it and not bother jumping through any hoops.
That regulator should probably be familiar with this entire document from the PCI SSC on DSS compliance in the cloud:
https://www.pcisecuritystandards.org/pdfs/PCI_DSS_v2_Cloud_Guidelines.pdf

jaegerx posted:

You are responsible for PCI compliance. They won't reveal who has gained compliance but say it's been done before. I don't care to argue. If it can be done cool. It's probably easier to do it in house or on bare metal.
I mean, if you already have all every physical access control in place that satisfies the PCI-DSS requirements, sure. Otherwise, how is it easier to do it in-house than to just pay someone who's already compliant with all the physical requirements? Follow the checklist and turn on CloudTrail on all the appropriate AWS services, and ensure your server-to-server communications are encrypted and authenticated.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Apr 28, 2015

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Tab8715 posted:

What does Stack Exchange even sell?
I've wondered this as well.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

Chickenwalker posted:

Anybody used Ubiquiti's AC access points? I've read that they aren't that great compared to their earlier models, but we're switching from Airport Extremes and I don't want to take a step back from the speeds AC offers (and beam forming if these actually do it).
I don't know if the problems were with the first generation of the hardware, but we have the second gen in a small deployment and they've been fine for us.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Vulture Culture posted:

That regulator should probably be familiar with this entire document from the PCI SSC on DSS compliance in the cloud:
https://www.pcisecuritystandards.org/pdfs/PCI_DSS_v2_Cloud_Guidelines.pdf
I can only assume you have never had to deal with one of these people. It doesn't mean a motherfuck what they should know. It only means a motherfuck how they interpret their goddamn checklist.

If you get hosed by the on site motherfucker, you'll get a cease and desist published well before you begin to appeal the finding. By then, it doesn't matter, because you're completely hosed.

Now you understand the behavior of IT managers in mid sized banks. Thanks for playing.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

jaegerx posted:

If you do in house credit card processing you're required to know where those servers are exactly.

PCI is fine in the cloud

E: I should read the last page

E2: nope. Banks have a lot of weird regulatory crap above and beyond PCI. PCI audits are separate, and they're not that harsh. Bank employees have to question whether giving a scanner to someone in another business unit violates regulations they should never even need to worry about. PCI is easy. PCI specs have kept up with progress, including cloud

evol262 fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Apr 28, 2015

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

flosofl posted:

I probably have a very good case for non-exempt status, but at the same time, the headache it would cause coupled by the fact I'm very pleased with my current remuneration and how much of my time the job demands means I probably won't pursue that legally.

It's amazing how much easier it is for all parties when people are treated like professionals working toward shared goals, rather than like pieces of citrus, isn't it?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

I've wondered this as well.
They have some advertising, but I think most of the revenue comes from their job board, as well as monetizing the data that this board generates. Their team page suggests their Careers team is much larger than their ad team. They took a $40m funding round from Andreessen Horowitz back in January, though, so I'm not sure whether they're actually profitable.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Apr 28, 2015

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I thought they just answered programming problems.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

crunk dork posted:

Yeah they forward the help desk to my cell number too. Your time frame seems more reasonable, our SLA is 1 hour but they are expecting me to do this from 5am Saturday to 5am Monday (my actual shift starts at 5am on Monday). This has a $100 stipend, but given what they are asking it doesn't seem like much. I figured on call meant if emergency happens then you work, not monitor the queue and field calls your entire weekend. Seems to me they need to hire someone to work weekends or at least adjust shifts to cover it and give someone a couple weekdays off.

I work in healthcare IT where poo poo might actually be a real emergency one of these days and even our on-call is not nearly that brutal. gently caress man.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Chickenwalker posted:

After their last controller update, ours were solid. 2 AP's, around 40 devices.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Not quite sure if this is the thread to ask but here goes : I'm doing a lot of day-to-day tasks on Server 2008 & 2012 at work, but my boss has ignored my requests for any proper training or courses so I'm thinking of buying/building a server for home and playing around.

Should I:

- Buy an actual server (Poweredge T20 / T110 etc) - any actual benefit and if so what to look for (I'm still quite new to all server stuff)
- Are there genuine training versions of Server 2012 available anywhere/somehow cheap/free?
- Use virtualbox or something else?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

CactusWeasle posted:

Not quite sure if this is the thread to ask but here goes : I'm doing a lot of day-to-day tasks on Server 2008 & 2012 at work, but my boss has ignored my requests for any proper training or courses so I'm thinking of buying/building a server for home and playing around.

Should I:

- Buy an actual server (Poweredge T20 / T110 etc) - any actual benefit and if so what to look for (I'm still quite new to all server stuff)
- Are there genuine training versions of Server 2012 available anywhere/somehow cheap/free?
Just use VirtualBox unless you have a really good reason why you need physical hardware.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
I'll test that out on my Win7/4670k/16GB machine so

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

CactusWeasle posted:

Should I:

http://aws.amazon.com/windows/products/ec2/server2012r2/

If you're eligible (and I have no idea what that means), you get 750 hours/month at the Free Tier.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

CactusWeasle posted:

Should I:

Server 2012's free trial is good for 180 days or something ridiculous like that.

Edit: yup.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006

Sheep posted:

Server 2012's free trial is good for 180 days or something ridiculous like that.

Edit: yup.

Awesome. I downloaded the ISO, thanks.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

flosofl posted:

http://aws.amazon.com/windows/products/ec2/server2012r2/

If you're eligible (and I have no idea what that means), you get 750 hours/month at the Free Tier.

Looks like you're eligible as long as you're not an existing AWS customer.

I'm gonna have to maybe try to take advantage of this...

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
That Butt Chrome plugin is the best thing.

Anandtech posted:

Today, the Open Compute Foundation is doing well. Many high profile companies such as Yandex, IBM and Intel are members, and in 2014 Microsoft joined the initiative as a second major open hardware partner; releasing its Open Butt Server designs to a pool of open hardware spanning everything from servers and switches to datacenters.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
Another CTB-Locker infection this month, this time from a user forwarding a suspicious email to someone in IT and then the recipient opening the attachment. There are defs from Sophos but it looks like they didn't come down until after the infection started. Oh well, more backups to pull, lessons to learn.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

hihifellow posted:

Another CTB-Locker infection this month, this time from a user forwarding a suspicious email to someone in IT and then the recipient opening the attachment. There are defs from Sophos but it looks like they didn't come down until after the infection started. Oh well, more backups to pull, lessons to learn.

I got really aggressive with my email filtering in O365 and deleted any message with an attachment with an executable extension, or that is actually executable. For a company of about 800 that does a LOT of 3rd party messaging (customers and vendors) I get 30-40 deleted messages a day. That has stopped a lot of the virus from email propagation we were having.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
Woop woop finally gettin' promoted.

from bossman posted:

Hi Prescription Combs,
I am happy to inform you that my promotion budget proposal has been approved.

You will be promoted to Network Security Administrator III, effective 9 May. Your first paycheck as an L3 will be 29 May.

You will receive a $9,500 (12.17%) annual increase ...

:captainpop:

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Congratulations! That's a solid raise to be getting internally.

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

Grats! That's a nice raise!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Prescription Combs posted:

Well done!

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
I'm ashamed to say that I just had my mind blown by discovering that you can, in fact, remove a Windows computer from the domain and rejoin it with only one restart. :smith:

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
Being a senior tech on the team means less soul crushing customer interaction and more hand-on training with the newbies. A much welcomed change and straight up customer service was starting to wear on me.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Labor laws are specific state by state...what state is there that has a "salary threshold"?

At least NY, https://www.labor.ny.gov/sites/legal/counsel/pdf/overtime-frequently-asked-questions.pdf
In NY, pretty much you can only be salaried unless you fall into a very very specific job description, regardless of how much you're making.

You can be salaried as an administrative employee, as long as you are on a regular basis defining policies, making large purchases, doing programming work, implementing systems, etc.

You might not technically qualify to be exempt if you are primarily just working on tickets....

I got stuck in the middle of a DOL audit in the past when I was Tier III support. Was salary, got bumped to hourly.

It is common for employers to incorrectly classify employees. Unless your work is primarily administrative this exemption would not apply. You would still need to meet all the other criteria if this was applicable. Executive exemption requires having two direct reports and the ability to hire and fire. Overtime wages are the default and required unless there is a lawful exemption.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Prescription Combs posted:

Congrats, man.

I was pretty excited when I managed to get only a 5% raise last summer, especially considering my company isn't exactly raking in the dough (we lost a MAJOR client...as in, almost 50% of all our profit major, so lay-offs and slashes all around, but I shifted positions from the entirely removed QA department to the MSP team and have been flourishing.)

I'd kill just to get another 5% this year, but I don't see it happening...over 10% is like the fevered dream of a madman!

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
I was talking to one of our folks who sits in an office, and it turns out that he's going to be the remote PM for another project out at Langley, VA, and he wanted to know if I might be interested in relocating there to take the just-recently vacated Virtualization Admin position (since I was studying for my VCP5 in preparation of taking the test in 2 weeks). He didn't have a salary range off the top of his head, but he was going to do some calling and would let me know.

Told him I was definitely interested. Now I'm trying to figure just how much a Virtualization Admin in Langley, VA should be charging, especially since it's at least a 10-15% cost of living increase. I'm thinking maybe $75-85k, but I might be way off.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Just got access to AD at my t1 helpdesk job. My boss told me not to do tutorials because she doesn't want me to overstep our scope.

Yeah, I think I'm just going to ignore that. AD is the first real skill I'm learning here that will give me leverage to move up to an admin position. Because I'm not staying at this job past the end of the contract unless we start getting a lot more in-depth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Had a phone interview with a group of 3 on speaker phone today. Well okay that kinda sucks trying to understand someone over speaker phone but oh they are asian with stereotypical accents and speech? :suicide:

Doesn't really matter I suppose because I bombed the gently caress out of some softball technical questions. I cant even be mad at that awful interview but drat are language barriers a pain in the rear end sometimes.

George H.W. Cunt fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Apr 29, 2015