Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Sigma-X posted:

How is a combo that requires graveyard or artifact hate to disrupt more interactive than one that uses creatures and creature enchantments and the combat step?

Thopter-Sword can't win the game from nowhere on T4.

Also Foundry still gets hit by Abrupt Decay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Cernunnos posted:

Thopter-Sword can't win the game from nowhere on T4.

Also Foundry still gets hit by Abrupt Decay.

I know how Twin and T/S works thanks, you don't need to tell me that Twin wins the game on T4. You seem to be under the impression that landing the T/S combo before turn 4 doesn't also win the game, when the reality is the opposite - there are very few maindecks that win through that combo.

The fact that you list a single card that has a two color requirement as the only maindeckable card that interacts with the combo is really proving the point.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

black potus posted:

when was the last standard we didn't all wring our hands over ~the best deck~ was it inn/rtr? and then too ~the best card~

There was plenty of hand wringing over junk rites and thragtusk. As there was over delver in the standard before that.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
So I played that 5c Mono Blue deck a bit and its basically durdle.dec. An Esper Dragons matchup is favorable but holy hell does it take loving forever.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Angry Grimace posted:

So I played that 5c Mono Blue deck a bit and its basically durdle.dec. An Esper Dragons matchup is favorable but holy hell does it take loving forever.

You don't want to be playing that deck against GW Aggro, Abzan Aggro or any of the Jeskai Variants....

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

mcmagic posted:

You don't want to be playing that deck against GW Aggro, Abzan Aggro or any of the Jeskai Variants....

A lot of those decks got largely pushed out by Esper Dragons anyways. I still see Abzan Aggro a bit, but I don't really think its all that amazing of a matchup for them. Encase in Ice works on basically everything in Abzan Aggro. Its like any control deck (or even deck in general), if you're playing RDW and they curve out with Foundry, Dragon Fodder, Rabblemaster, you're probably hosed in half. But that's just the way it is with most decks, really, especially control ones.

I'm not saying its gonna be better than Esper Dragons in general (it isn't), but its funny to beat up on them.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Apr 28, 2015

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Sigma-X posted:

There's a reason Thopter/Sword is banned and Twin isn't, and it's because every deck out there can maindeck ways to interact with it without injuring it's ability to interact with the rest of the field. That's simply not true for Thopter/Sword.

Sword of the Meek was banned because it was popular in Extended. If Splinter Twin had been in Extended decks at the same percentage it is now in Modern, it would have been banned too.

Applebees fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 27, 2015

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

I for one welcome our new dragon overlords.

same

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Applebees posted:

Sword of the Meek was banned because it was popular in Extended. If Splinter Twin had been in Extended decks at the same percentage it is now in Modern, it would have been banned too.

Exactly, the cards that were pre-emptively banned because they were the big bogey-men of their Extended periods are the most likely to come off. Valakut and Bitterblossom were banned for that reason, and unbanning them hasn't broken the format in half. If you remove the cards that are obviously way too powerful (JTMS, Hypergenesis, etc.), I think that leaves Ancestral Vision and Sword of the Meek as possible candidates.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Regardless as to whether T/Sword is too strong / OK for Modern, we're talking about how interactive a combo is, and it's less interactive than Twin.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Anyone else hitting GP Toronto this coming weekend? Could someone explain to me how Friday goes, I know there are "grinders" which I understand to be 32 man single elimination tournaments with byes as prizes, when does this start and what formats?

Assuming Esper Dragons is the deck to beat and I can't afford to build it myself which of the following decks I can potentially build stands the best chance of being competitive: mono RDW, Gruul Deck Wins or Bant Heroic?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Corte posted:

Anyone else hitting GP Toronto this coming weekend? Could someone explain to me how Friday goes, I know there are "grinders" which I understand to be 32 man single elimination tournaments with byes as prizes, when does this start and what formats?

Assuming Esper Dragons is the deck to beat and I can't afford to build it myself which of the following decks I can potentially build stands the best chance of being competitive: mono RDW, Gruul Deck Wins or Bant Heroic?

Atarka Red

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Fair point, I'll probably change that list a bit, I know Dang said he would remove the Frenzied Goblin. How goes the 20 lands work, I've been running 21 in mono red at times but I guess the curve can be a bit higher?

Also for those interested found this on reddit showing the GP Toronto events with values:

keeblerdrow
May 4, 2004
Still not king, damnit.
I've been running Atarka Red for a couple weeks now. I went up to 21 lands, but I feel like I need to add 4 Bloodstained Mires in there to help in any way I can to prevent flooding. In 11 games on my Friday Night Testnight, I got to 7 land on board in 8 games. But when I was running 20 land, I felt like I often didn't have enough land. My RNG on lands in land-light decks in notoriously bad, though.

I cut the Frenzied Goblin and also 1 Rabblemaster in the main in favor of a couple main board Searing Bloods. It's sometimes better to split between the two boards cause there's a lot of 1 and 2 toughness creatures running around. My sideboard is more "getcha" based because a lot of my meta is decks that crowd the ground early and I need to find more creative ways to close out games. I put 2 Purphoros, 2 Magmatic Chasms in there to push through. I also am running 3 Roasts in my board and I put 2 Hornet's Nests in there for Combo Value™ and to help make another way to get late game damage in if I failed to kill them by turn 5. I always felt like I had answers in my sideboard with these 4 options.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Are people blaming control for the dragon cards yet? It's alyways control's fault.

\/ \/ \/ :peanut:

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Apr 28, 2015

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Control is good, time to whine about people not liking control

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

$20 drafts at GP Toronto? Jeez, I was unhappy with the $15 drafts at GP Vancouver, luckily they ran them for $10 towards the end of the day.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

If I make a trip to GP, I don't think calculating any EV is really the major factor in deciding how to spend my Magic playing time weekend. Each to his own I guess.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
The best part about people debating EV of magic events is they always value their time at $0.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
factoring playmat into ev :psyduck:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

born on a buy you posted:

The best part about people debating EV of magic events is they always value their time at $0.

In this way, magic sharks are making quite a steal with their apparently otherwise useless time.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
My most :catstare: EDH moment: when I lose an entire turn to having to pay a Pact of Negation, and my two draws for the turn were Trickbind and Stifle.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Four Score posted:

My most :catstare: EDH moment: when I lose an entire turn to having to pay a Pact of Negation, and my two draws for the turn were Trickbind and Stifle.

I have Choke in play. My Talrand playing friend (guess why I had Choke in my deck!) Pact of Negations my Wild Pair while tapped out.

I Krosan Gripped my Choke. I'm not a monster.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

suicidesteve posted:

I have Choke in play.

suicidesteve posted:

My Talrand playing friend (guess why I had Choke in my deck!)

suicidesteve posted:

I have Choke in play.

suicidesteve posted:

My Talrand playing friend

:airquote:

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Sounds pretty hot actually.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

suicidesteve posted:

I have Choke in play.

That'll teach him to play Stormtide Leviathan against my mono-G deck. And besides,

suicidesteve posted:

I'm not a monster.

you missed the most important part of this post.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

People play basics in edh?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Partial Octopus posted:

You've clearly never played Norin, Omnath, or Talrand.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Partial Octopus posted:

Only if they're smart.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Even if my 3 color deck, I have made it a point to include 3 basics of each type. Those go before anything, so I am sure not to be completely hosed by Blood Moon or Ruination (protip: I'm still hosed).

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
if you have more than one basic + one snow basic of each type it's not real Highlander

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Toshimo posted:

Only if they're smart.

It's fun having someone play Collective Voyage and the five color player at the table looking sad.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Ramos posted:

It's fun having someone play Collective Voyage

A statement that is never true.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Toshimo posted:

Ur-Dragon player spotted.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Toshimo posted:

It is when you have a chronic tendency to include too few of lands in your EDH decks.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
"I am bad and it's cool when other players play down to my level." - EDH.txt

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Well drat, Toshimo doesn't approve. I guess my life no longer has any meaning. Time to go jack it in San Diego.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Ramos posted:

Well drat, Toshimo doesn't approve. I guess my life no longer has any meaning. Time to go jack it in San Diego.

Toshimo posted:

"I am bad and it's cool when other players play down to my level." - EDH.txt

I will agree that Toshimo is being a bit abrasive about it, but isn't that sort of the whole point with EDH? Kind of like how in some groups people intentionally don't "min-max" their Pen and Paper RPG characters so that every player has a chance to shine? Isn't that the exact behavior and playstyle that EDH is supposed to encourage?

whydirt posted:

Nah Toshimo is just a dick.

I won't disagree with that statement either.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Apr 28, 2015

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Nah Toshimo is just a dick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The problem with EDH is that people can't agree on how you're supposed to play it. Most people don't complain if they sit down to play Standard and their opponent is running a ruthlessly honed deck that tries really hard to win as quickly as possible. That's just how Magic works. But roughly half the people playing EDH think that trying too hard to win goes against the spirit of the format, and what exactly constitutes "too hard" is a point of endless and terrible debate.

• Locked thread