Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
I added storage with some SD card to my phone (running KK).
So far I've managed to move some apps, the camera storage (this was automatic) and Pocket's cache, but things like Flipboard refuse to use it despite "external storage" being checked.
Also, most applications / games store their data on the phone. Will this go the the SD if I reinstall them ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'm experience problems with down time on my 2nd gen Moto X. If I get an email, it'll play the notification tone and turn off down time. Anyone have any idea why?

Maybe related, but when this happens, the vibration for the notification will play about a second after the sound.

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010
So this time I made sure to turn the display off when I went to sleep and let my s6 charge, when I woke up I see the display is on for who knows how long. How do I turn this off =/

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Desk Lamp posted:

You mentioned "looking at a lot of videos and browsing the web a ton" and for that purpose the G3's battery life might better suit you since battery life is easily the X's weakest point.

Battery life on the G3 sucks for that type of usage too unless you're willing to keep the screen really dim

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

dissss posted:

Battery life on the G3 sucks for that type of usage too unless you're willing to keep the screen really dim

It'll still get much better battery life than the X though.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

130€ without pad (not available anywhere ?), mmmh. I see it as an Intel CPU, does it run all games, and well ?

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Looks really nice, wonder what the price will be here.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Spatule posted:

130€ without pad (not available anywhere ?), mmmh. I see it as an Intel CPU, does it run all games, and well ?

Being an Intel CPU it will not run many Android games as Android is an ARM first platform. There aren't many great Android systems for playing on TV. There's this, the Fire TV, the ADT-1 (Developer Console Google Gave away for free), and the upcoming upcoming Shield platform, comedy OUYA option (please done). The only one trying really seriously with native access to the Google play store is the Shield platform.

Also you have to keep in mind that developers are required to add console controls, and state they have TV support. Due to the slow uptake of Android TV the number of games is now around $60 most costing a couple of bucks each. Probably the best games are Leos Fortune and Luftrausers.

Android gaming on the TV is not something worth jumping into yet, hopefully it will be in another year. For now it probably makes more sense to grab a computer and hook it up to your TV and use a spare wired 360 controller, or get one of the 360 wireless adapters.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Spatule posted:

Looks really nice, wonder what the price will be here.

$199 for the base with 16 gig storage and they announced a new version at $299 with a 500 gb hard drive. The original K1 was roughly about as powerful as a 360, this is another generation past that, this device will likely straddle the compute and GPU power differences between the 360/XBONE. Also this device is the first affordable device with 4k output.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Desk Lamp posted:

Your best bet if possible is to find and play around with both phones to see which you prefer. You mentioned "looking at a lot of videos and browsing the web a ton" and for that purpose the G3's battery life might better suit you since battery life is easily the X's weakest point. That's not to say the Moto X couldn't be your best choice despite that which is why a hands on comparison would really help you choose.

At the very least watch someone like mkbhd review both for a chance to see them in use.

I have a little and both of the phones feel good in the hand. Screen wise they're quite nice to look at as well. I feel that if I went for a 32GB LG G3 that I, may as well just pick up a Z3 Compact for the higher price. However back to the 16 GB. Honestly I am starting to feel neither would be the wrong choice. Honestly the only thing spooking me away from G3 is the lack of updates and overheating problems I keep hearing about, esp in regards to the camera.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Stick100 posted:

$199 for the base with 16 gig storage and they announced a new version at $299 with a 500 gb hard drive. The original K1 was roughly about as powerful as a 360, this is another generation past that, this device will likely straddle the compute and GPU power differences between the 360/XBONE. Also this device is the first affordable device with 4k output.

The $299 version isn't available for public sale.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

SkySteak posted:

I heard that about the Moto. Honestly I've only recently heard about the camera issues, but the battery one is the only real worrying one for the Moto X and the lack of removable storage as well, apart from that I'd love to pick it up. Like, how long does the X's battery last with heavy usage? Either way thank you for your patience.

The Moto X has pretty terrible battery life, especially with heavy use. Quick Charge helps, but if you want a full-day phone without a charger it isn't one

The M8, Z3/Z3c, Turbo/Maxx, Note 4 are all good choices if battery is a significant concern.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Any suggestions for a car mount for my Moto X? I had an InfiniApps magnetic one, but while the phone sort of sticks to it without the thin plate, it falls over (rotates 180 degrees) since the back isn't flat against the magnetic part of the mount. I suppose I could get a case and sandwich the thin plate between that and the phone, but then I'd cover up the nice back that'll be on my replacement Moto Maker version and it might have the same problem anyway.

I obviously don't need Qi charging, and I'd like the mount to be reasonably small on its own so it doesn't get in the way if I don't put my phone on it.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
In light of this are the LG G3s overheating and software update issues a bit exaggerated or are they constant, serious problems?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

G4 announcement in a few hours. Some leaked images seem to indicate it's going to be pretty drat ugly.

SkySteak posted:

In light of this are the LG G3s overheating and software update issues a bit exaggerated or are they constant, serious problems?

I had no software update issues other than it taking a week for me to receive the update. Mine's also never overheated, but it's gotten incredibly hot to where it was uncomfortable to hold. It also force closed out of the camera app at one point, I'm assuming due to heat, while I was trying to record a speech.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
LG G4

Snapdragon 808
3gb ram
32gb + microsd storage
5.5" QHD display (LG claims the new display boasts 20% wider color reproduction, 25% improvement in brightness and 50% higher contrast than the G3.)
16mp (OIS, and apparently you can do 104mp panoramas)
3,000mah battery

Not a bad device but that leather sure looks ugly.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Lblitzer posted:

LG G4

Snapdragon 808
3gb ram
32gb + microsd storage
5.5" QHD display (LG claims the new display boasts 20% wider color reproduction, 25% improvement in brightness and 50% higher contrast than the G3.)
16mp (OIS, and apparently you can do 104mp panoramas)
3,000mah battery

Not a bad device but that leather sure looks ugly.

From what I can gather, there week be NO quick-charge or wireless charging.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Hughmoris posted:

From what I can gather, there week be NO quick-charge or wireless charging.

No way a Qualcomm chipset goes out without quick charge.

Anyway, gsmarena says both Qi and Quick Charge are in.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

ruby idiot railed posted:

No way a Qualcomm chipset goes out without quick charge.

Anyway, gsmarena says both Qi and Quick Charge are in.

Here it's saying that it won't have either: http://m.androidcentral.com/lg-g4-hands-on

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
With all the phones being announced right now being relatively lackluster I have a feeling that I'm going to be holding on to my Z3c for a while like a Normal. I want to change every six months damnit.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Pictures taken with the G4 look amazing, assuming they haven't been retouched. Not sure I want to keep putting up with LG's UI in order to upgrade though. And while I like the leather backs, the stitching down the middle kills it for me.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
No QC 2.0 is confusing...I thought modern Qualcomm chips had it enabled...even the older 801's do (and 805, 810). It's strange that it was excluded from the 808, no? They are quick to say "but we have high amp chargers!"...but that's not the same. QC is amazing and it's a shame it isn't on the G4.

Also, Qi isn't standard, but a back will be available. Hopefully it won't be limited to shady Chinese eBay sellers (for like $60). Just put them in stores for $39 or something, it's 2015. If you hate leather, I'm certain the Qi (and other backs) will suit your fancy. Plastic or whatever.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 28, 2015

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

TraderStav posted:

With all the phones being announced right now being relatively lackluster I have a feeling that I'm going to be holding on to my Z3c for a while like a Normal. I want to change every six months damnit.

Just get into smart watches like me, every one is a bit lacking in some area so you can rationalize buying a new one every few months!

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
http://imore.com/difference-apple-s...tent=FeedBurner

No comment.

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
Is it possible to unlock the bootloader to a moto x 2014 (not pure edition) xt1097?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

TraderStav posted:

I'm glad you admit to being on the spectrum, at least.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

madkapitolist posted:

Is it possible to unlock the bootloader to a moto x 2014 (not pure edition) xt1097?

1097 is the AT&T version right? If so then no.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Neat pictures. It shouldn't surprise anyone that Samsung actually cares very little about their products, though. They will do the bare minimum to convince people they're "as good as iphone" and buy them. The hardware is poorly made and their software is user-hostile. I totally get why the general population buys them, but I'll never understand why posters here would recommend or even list them as considerations.

Death to Samsung.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

RZA Encryption posted:

Neat pictures. It shouldn't surprise anyone that Samsung actually cares very little about their products, though. They will do the bare minimum to convince people they're "as good as iphone" and buy them. The hardware is poorly made and their software is user-hostile. I totally get why the general population buys them, but I'll never understand why posters here would recommend or even list them as considerations.

Death to Samsung.

Because really THIS one will be good! Really!

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed
So my girl bought the "Unlocked" Moto X 2014 and its not unlocked. Is unlocking a phone really as easy as just getting an unlock code and plugging it in? If not I'm going to just return the damned thing because the rear end in a top hat didn't sell it as advertised.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

MycroftXXX posted:

So my girl bought the "Unlocked" Moto X 2014 and its not unlocked. Is unlocking a phone really as easy as just getting an unlock code and plugging it in? If not I'm going to just return the damned thing because the rear end in a top hat didn't sell it as advertised.

What model number is it?

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

nimper posted:

What model number is it?

XT1097, I think?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

MycroftXXX posted:

XT1097, I think?

Yeah that's the AT&T model and definitely not sold carrier unlocked. You can try to request a free unlock code from AT&T but if they give you grief it might be worth it to pay someone on eBay or whatever for an unlock code.

edit: Or just return it and yell at the guy who claimed it was unlocked.

nimper fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Apr 28, 2015

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

nimper posted:

Yeah that's the AT&T model and definitely not sold carrier unlocked. You can try to request a free unlock code from AT&T but if they give you grief it might be worth it to pay someone on eBay or whatever for an unlock code.

Thanks for the advice. Another probably dumb question before I go ahead. If I use my t-mobile sim card to unlock the phone, will that cause any problems if I then get another t-mobile sim and pop it in for someone else to use?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

RZA Encryption posted:

Death to Samsung.
Or maybe the placement of external holes is a result of efficient use of internal space? It seems like caring where the holes are on the outside could lead to making compromises on the insides. There's arguments you can make either way.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

MycroftXXX posted:

Thanks for the advice. Another probably dumb question before I go ahead. If I use my t-mobile sim card to unlock the phone, will that cause any problems if I then get another t-mobile sim and pop it in for someone else to use?

Once it's actually unlocked it should take any tmobile SIM no problem.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

butt dickus posted:

Or maybe the placement of external holes is a result of efficient use of internal space? It seems like caring where the holes are on the outside could lead to making compromises on the insides. There's arguments you can make either way.

you could make the argument that they care more about functionality than aesthetics, but then you get to their software and realize they have neither.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

hooah posted:

Any suggestions for a car mount for my Moto X? I had an InfiniApps magnetic one, but while the phone sort of sticks to it without the thin plate, it falls over (rotates 180 degrees) since the back isn't flat against the magnetic part of the mount. I suppose I could get a case and sandwich the thin plate between that and the phone, but then I'd cover up the nice back that'll be on my replacement Moto Maker version and it might have the same problem anyway.

I obviously don't need Qi charging, and I'd like the mount to be reasonably small on its own so it doesn't get in the way if I don't put my phone on it.

My wife got a Moto X so we stopped using our magnetic one and switched to the Airframe which works pretty well. Being portable is also nice. You can check out The Wirecutter for some more suggestions

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Reverse Centaur posted:

Just get into smart watches like me, every one is a bit lacking in some area so you can rationalize buying a new one every few months!

Already dabbling with the Moto 360. I like the ease of sifting through 95% of my useless notifications in hope of one of the 5% I want to pay attention to without pulling out my phone. I'm not that big of a fan of talking to my wrist for the same reasons that I don't like talking to my phone. Majority of the time I'm in a place where I feel weird to do so, especially when I have to report my dumb message four times and I realize that it's really not something that is important or needed to be said but just took up 30 seconds of my time fussing when I could've just typed it.

My wife basically wrote that last part. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

My Nexus 5's USB port seems to be loose and I have to make sure my cable is at a certain angle to get a charge. This is happening with the provided USB cable. Is there a way I can fix this without having to physically replace the USB module? I have no issue with doing that but I'd like to avoid it.

edit: I should clarify that it doesn't feel like any of the solder points are broken, more that it's just not snug enough or something.